Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Thrones of Britannia - Anglo Saxon England

CA_WhelanCA_Whelan Posts: 681Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, Community Team
edited February 2018 in General Discussion

When Roman rule in England concluded, new kingdoms of Germanic stock coalesced in the counties now known as Northumbria, Mercia, Wessex, Essex, Sussex, East Anglia and Kent. The peoples of these regions came collectively to be known as the Anglo Saxons – a term which came into common usage in the 8th century in order to distinguish the English Saxons from the Old Saxons, or Ealdseaxe, of the European continent.

Find out more about the Anglo Saxon factions' mechanics and history in a Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia with our newest blog post -> https://www.totalwar.com/blog/anglo-saxon-england
Post edited by Grace_CA on

Comments

• CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 3,130Registered Users
    So Anglo Saxton are 1 of the 5 factions.

Danes are another.

Welshman are the 3rd

Not sure what the others are.
  • BlackenedLokiBlackenedLoki Junior Member Posts: 159Registered Users
    Surely, Irish will need to be one...

And either Scots/Picts or maybe Norse (Isle of Man?)

and whichever of the above it isn't for DLC :)
    Yes, I am one of those people who liked Rome 2 and yes my opinion is still valid.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    So two of the Kings are named (Alfred and Ceowulf) and two playable factions (West Seaxe and Mierce). Eight more to go.

Was the blue army in the trailer Mierce? They looked pretty cool :smile:
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,825Registered Users
    I don't think we can instantly assume the pattern will be 5 cultures 2 factions each for 10 factions total. As humans it's a pattern we instantly recognize and desire to see, but I think it won't happen like we expect. We may get 5 cultures but I expect atleast one culture will have just 1 faction so another can get 3. Personally I expect we will get atleast 3 Norse factions, I'd bet Northymbrye and East Engle in England and then Dyflin in Ireland. Maybe we might even get a 4th in the form of Ornkeyar or Sudreyar. I have made it known before but I expect we will get the Picts/Scots(likely Picts that will turn into scots over time via the tech tree and the passing of turns) as DLC rather than as part of the base game as that makes sense to me from a business standpoint and also because we have yet to see a faction or even reference that can easily be identified as referring to the Picts.

Now it doesn't have to be 4 Norse factions of course, it could be 3 norse and 3 Irish, or 3 norse and 3 Welsh/Briton, or hell even 3 Irish and 3 Briton but I think it will boil down to either 3 Norse and 3 something else or 4 Norse, especially since they are so popular in pop culture.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,581Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    Those men in blue look Irish
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
    Krunch said:

I don't think we can instantly assume the pattern will be 5 cultures 2 factions each for 10 factions total. As humans it's a pattern we instantly recognize and desire to see, but I think it won't happen like we expect. We may get 5 cultures but I expect atleast one culture will have just 1 faction so another can get 3. Personally I expect we will get atleast 3 Norse factions, I'd bet Northymbrye and East Engle in England and then Dyflin in Ireland. Maybe we might even get a 4th in the form of Ornkeyar or Sudreyar. I have made it known before but I expect we will get the Picts/Scots(likely Picts that will turn into scots over time via the tech tree and the passing of turns) as DLC rather than as part of the base game as that makes sense to me from a business standpoint and also because we have yet to see a faction or even reference that can easily be identified as referring to the Picts.

Now it doesn't have to be 4 Norse factions of course, it could be 3 norse and 3 Irish, or 3 norse and 3 Welsh/Briton, or hell even 3 Irish and 3 Briton but I think it will boil down to either 3 Norse and 3 something else or 4 Norse, especially since they are so popular in pop culture.

We will see. Logic dictates 5 sets of 2.
  • Noisy_CricketNoisy_Cricket Posts: 214Registered Users
    In the campaign map reveal there are 10 factions that have their font slightly larger... my bet is on those ones.
  • BlackenedLokiBlackenedLoki Junior Member Posts: 159Registered Users
    edited January 2018

In the campaign map reveal there are 10 factions that have their font slightly larger... my bet is on those ones.

Good spot Sir! (or Madam)

That would give us...

Anglo Saxon
    -West Seaxe
    -Mierce

Dane
    -Northymbre
    -East Engle

Welsh/Briton
    -Powis
    -Gwined

Scot/Pict
    -Fortriu
    -Circenn

Irish
    -Caisil
    -Mide/Connacht/Breifne/Ulaid or Aileach (I can't tell which one is largest)

Interesting to see if that pans out and does give the 5 sets of 2
    Yes, I am one of those people who liked Rome 2 and yes my opinion is still valid.
    If 2 factions per culture, how about dlc and flc factions?

They are larger because they have more regions and thus need a larger text.
  • Noisy_CricketNoisy_Cricket Posts: 214Registered Users
    Krunch said:

They are larger because they have more regions and thus need a larger text.
    Gwined definately has larger text despite being of similar size (around 1 province) than the other Welsh factions.
    jamreal18 said:

They didn't confirm any dlc. What makes you think they will release dlc for Thai smaller title?
    CnConrad said:

jamreal18 said:

They didn't confirm any dlc. What makes you think they will release dlc for Thai smaller title?
    They released DLC for FOTS, there is no reason to assume they won't release DLC for ToB.
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    Krunch said:

CnConrad said:

jamreal18 said:

They released DLC for FOTS, there is no reason to assume they won't release DLC for ToB.
    Yes. A Norman Conquest themed campaign seems quite inevitable while they're in the neighbourhood.
    Fredrin said:

Krunch said:

CnConrad said:

jamreal18 said:

Yes. A Norman Conquest themed campaign seems quite inevitable while they're in the neighbourhood.
    Normans in 878 A.D. is awkward.
  • AxelradAxelrad Senior Member Posts: 632Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    CnConrad said:

Danes are another.

Welshman are the 3rd

The Steam page talks about playing as "Anglo-Saxons, Gaelic clans, Welsh tribes, or Viking settlers."

Gaelic clans describes both the Irish and Scots/Picts, so I think it's safe to say those are the last 2.

It'll be interesting to see if BlackenedLoki's list turns out to be accurate. I wouldn't be surprised.
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    Axelrad said:

CnConrad said:

Danes are another.

Welshman are the 3rd

The Steam page talks about playing as "Anglo-Saxons, Gaelic clans, Welsh tribes, or Viking settlers."

Gaelic clans describes both the Irish and Scots/Picts, so I think it's safe to say those are the last 2.

It'll be interesting to see if BlackenedLoki's list turns out to be accurate. I wouldn't be surprised.
    'Gaelic' in this period is mainly Irish; the northern Celts were mainly Brittonic except for the Picts who were their own thing - I've read though that they're speculated to have been closer to Brittonic culture than Gaelic, although Gaelic language had begun to migrate to Scotland around this period.

Personally, It think the 5th should be Picts but with just one faction (Fortriu); but I'd like to see the 'Welsh' culture include a northern faction (Strat Clut) in addition to one that's geographically in Wales. Having just one Pictish faction would also leave room for three viking factions - one in England (Northymbre?), one in Ireland (Dyflin?), and one based in the Islands (Sudreyar?) for maximum diversity in map positions
    edited January 2018
    Guys, do you think we'll have lots of units per factions or just few just like in Age of Charlamagne?

I prefer more units for variety.

How many unique units each of them will going to have?
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • duxetprincepsduxetprinceps Junior Member Posts: 69Registered Users
    The fyrd was not like a conscript army, it was the burwaran that could be called a freemen-conscript force which might be of a similar nature to the Carolingian lantweri.
    This article gives a more convincing description of Alfred's military reform than Hollister's old theory:
    Alfred's innovations did not affect the basic makeup of the fyrd, which remained composed of nobles and their lesser-born followers. This is borne out from many sources; ordinary ceorls would generally be unable to afford the expensive horse required for fyrd service, the summoning of the fyrd left ordinary agricultural activities such as harvest unaffected, and not least, Alfred's own words. For Alfred society was divided three ways; beadsmen ( gebedmen) prayed, warriors ( fyrdmen) fought and workmen ( weorcmen) laboured, each a necessary, distinct class. This idea was reiterated by several later writers.
    The Alfredian fyrd was designed to act in tandem with the burwaran, the permanent garrisons that the king settled in the newly built burhs. The size of the garrison in each burh varied according to the length of its walls (4 men for every 51/2 yards), but an average one would have required a garrison of about 900 men. Because of this vast requirement for manpower, each burh was at the centre of a large district specially created for its needs. The landholders in these 'burghal districts' were charged with providing the men necessary to maintain and garrison the burhs, on the basis of one man from every hide of their land. This appears to be in addition to the landowner's obligations to serve in the king's fyrd.
    The scale of service demanded by Alfred and his descendants was unprecedented, the garrisons of the burhs alone represented a standing army of almost 30,000 without the fyrd. These figures suprisingly do not include the military strength of the navy that Alfred raised to counter the Danish threat either. The days of winning kingdoms with only a few hundred men were gone.

As far as I'm concerned, for the cream of the fyrd, there would be approximately 2,000 thegns in Wessex and Mercia during Alfred's reign, these men would form the backbone of the king's/earldorman's fyrd, which was divided in half, each being signed up for half a year's service. The rest of the fyrd would mostly be the rich folk among the churls: the geneatas, while the poorer folk like the kotsetla might form the burwaran for the defence of the newly erected burhs. As a later source relates, one ceorl/churl named Dunhere played an important role in the battle of Maldon, it would be safe to say this guy most certainly belonged to the cream of his shire, for a common farmer could neither afford nor know about fighting in fyrd.
    Note that most thegns would have more than five hides in comparison to early norman knights/miles who usually held 1-2 hides of knightly-fees, they were certainly among the more prosperous ones in the rice/realm.
  • alstlalstl Member Posts: 313Registered Users
    I like the concept with different factions having different cultural traits. They clearly have put a lot of thought into this game.

I'm looking forward to the game and I'll be promoting it on other forums.
  • alstlalstl Member Posts: 313Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

Those men in blue look Irish

The burgundy colored unit looks like professional soldiers while the blue look poorly equipped and my guess is conscripted.
  • Nortrix87Nortrix87 Senior Member Posts: 991Registered Users
    "We men are the monsters now. The time of heroes is dead, Wiglaf - the Christ God has killed it, leaving humankind with nothing but weeping martyrs, fear, and shame."

- Beowulf
    King Ceowulf of Mercia died in 879 AD and the game starts on 878 AD.

So will we only get to see him for 1 year?
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,433Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

King Ceowulf of Mercia died in 879 AD and the game starts on 878 AD.

So will we only get to see him for 1 year?

He won't definitely die in 879 as far as I understand, although there is a good chance he will.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."