Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Bretonnia; lets do this.

RazmirthRazmirth Posts: 2,190Registered Users
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
So I’ve tried bretonnia pre tomb kings patch and found them to be in a mess. Complete mess. But with TK patch out I know they’ve had a lot of new research and buffs.

I just need help with what buildings are important. There are so many they can have, and I’m so green to bretonnians I’m a little lost. Any advice?? (Aside from military buildings, I think I can figure that out. Lol).

And also, do you guys go after mousillion after marienburg? They always wipe out lyonesse in 10 turns and by the time I come back from marienburg, they have a 15 stack VC garisson in lyonesse. . Do you guys kill them first??

Comments

• TheChocolateJesusTheChocolateJesus Senior Member Posts: 1,423Registered Users
    edited March 2018
    OK
    It's gotta be a Chocolate Jesus to keep me satisfied.
  • RazmirthRazmirth Posts: 2,190Registered Users

OK

Thanks for the in-depth explanation.
  • coury97coury97 Junior Member Posts: 607Registered Users
    edited March 2018
    I don't really know about their buildings as i didn't play them more than 10 hours, but you should go after mousillon whenever is possible, as once they get the unique building for their garrison and had conquered Lyonesse, is going to be really hard to defeat them, more if they are garrisoned.

Also it prevents you from having to wait till you can drop that corruption from 80% to 20%, slowly as u don't have many options to deal with it.
  • CelebareCelebare Posts: 60Registered Users
    If you play louen your first priority is to take marienburg (turn 1). And after you can erase the orcs.

About the buildings what exactly do you want to know.
  • endurendur Posts: 3,241Registered Users
    Yes, I take Marienburg and Skullsmashers out by turn 5. Then I take out Mousilon, hopefully before they destroy Lyonesse.

I build economy buildings ... landmarks and resources like iron, etc. are priority #1. Then settlements with a resource get industry buildings and settlements without a resource get farms.

Military buildings are built in settlements that have a bonus for them (resource bonus or landmark bonus).

I don't build the public order building or the growth building. Defensive buildings are built only in a few key settlements, like Marienburg.

• hurricane501hurricane501 Senior Member Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    edited March 2018
    1 tip as bret, i just completed a legendary campaign so i think you can trust me?

So i didnt use infantry, they just suck, but they are meant to, its the factions thing.

I started as louen but i lost his full army to a sea auto resolve... so beware of that, even with a max vetted army, the AR will turn you over.

After that i just built a full army of grail knights mixed with peg and 2 hippos. Grail knights ruin everything, more so that guardians as the charge bonus adds so much to them, HE and DE dont have enough burst to do any damage to grail knights, and they are anti large so they rek dragons/eagles/hydras/monsters.

I was actually surprised at how well they kill things, but this is due to their magic attacks they go through physical protection.

You can start with knights of the realm but they drop off fast, i found questing knights much better even with the higher cost they get the job done much better due to the AP but switching to grails fast is the key.

Now thing once we get ROR... bret are gonna be so strong in the campaign due to that early boost of units.

Campaign map play, i aways spammed lords for each capital to use the extra income skills, a lord built around income for marienburg is very powerful and then swap it for a LL lord youll get if you confed at a right now.

PS i take marienburg on turn 2, theres no need to wait as louen, his starting army totally destroys them, the army at the start will fight you and then just siege the castle and take it, take the orcs out after before you go for the second town of marienburg as they will get in the way. After that just take out weaker bret factions or push into empire land north of marienburg for an easy start, if you want to go vrs HE take the farmland town first for faster regen.
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on
    Razmirth said:

OK

Nice way of editing the OP after you only wrote the first paragraph.
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 2,323Registered Users
    Definitely get a orc settlement so you lose that -20 PO.
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
    edited March 2018

Razmirth said:

OK

I was on my phone and by a mistake hit post, yeah I had to edit it right after. So that makes much more sense why you just said “Ok”. My bad.

But thanks all for the advice. Ill head to Marie burg and kills orcs as well the. Mousillon. Stupid red duke.

Worst part is in the last campaign I played I actually beat him and his Garisson. But left my army so crippled I couldn’t beat the garisson inside the castle at lyonesse. I kept trying to build siege towers and rams but even with no lord, the kept attacking my army and not letting me keep them seiged!
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    Turn 1: recruit 4 peasant bowmen.

Turn 2: take Marienburg with as little casualties as possible, than make peace with them (don't forget to ask money from them).

Turn 3: if you are a good player, take out the Orcs. If not, wait for them to leave before taking their base, then wipe them out. Raze their base, you won't be able to hold it without the rest of the Karak Ziflin territories.

From there, it's your call. I personally bother with Mousillon only if they become too big of a problem, and usually deal with them later on. In my experience, the Norscans are a far greater threat, and I usually colonize them as soon as possible, even before confederating.

Other option is to confederate. Bastonne is the easiest, since they are getting pummeled by the Dwarfs. You can join with Bastonne to take them out, then take over their territories.

For buildings, build the tier 2 cavalry building asap, you NEED those knights. Tier 1 infantry building is enough early on. Focus on upgrading Couronne's and Marienburg's main building, plus the Marienburg port. Don't forget, Couronne's main building amplify the money you get from Marienburg.
  • endurendur Posts: 3,241Registered Users
    For research, I do the confederate the Fay Enchantress tree first, then confederate Alberic and Bordeleaux. I want the Fay Enchantress first, because its possible that an AI faction might destroy her faction. Its unlikely that an AI faction will defeat Alberic. While Mousillon could defeat Alberic if left alone, I'll usually take care of Mousillon before that can happen.

• FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    BTW, you probably already know this, and if you are not against a little cheesing, Alberic has a skill that boost port income. If you stick him in Marienburg, prepare to see a lot of cash roll in.
    Razmirth said:

Razmirth said:

OK

I was on my phone and by a mistake hit post, yeah I had to edit it right after. So that makes much more sense why you just said “Ok”. My bad.

But thanks all for the advice. Ill head to Marie burg and kills orcs as well the. Mousillon. Stupid red duke.

Worst part is in the last campaign I played I actually beat him and his Garisson. But left my army so crippled I couldn’t beat the garisson inside the castle at lyonesse. I kept trying to build siege towers and rams but even with no lord, the kept attacking my army and not letting me keep them seiged!
    Yeah. Sorry about that. I assumed it was another useless thread as you can imagine just reading the first paragraph.
  • RowYerboatRowYerboat Junior Member Posts: 970Registered Users
    edited March 2018
    An important thing that may not be obvious is you have to build the economy buildings in pairs in the same region. I.e., both industry buildings in the same settlement in order to build them to max level...same with farm buildings. This means it's advisable to not build garrisons everywhere...which you can get away with because ALL bret settlements get walls at level 3.

But basically don't waste a slot on an econ building if you don't have room for the complementary one.

Also, get the lord traits that make knights cheaper ASAP...or you will be very, very sad.
  • Rogers134Rogers134 Posts: 80Registered Users
    I enjoy the campaign but haven't tried it on TWW2 as the main brettonia faction but I have had a game as Bordeleaux which was actually quite easy. Early game I went for moussilon as soon as their main army left the area and took it, Red Duke came back quick with a doomstack but I beat him down (barely) and wiped them out.

After that I basically had to go and fight the vampire counts as they were wrecking the whole area. Basically once your home region is safe you can do what you like.
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 2,323Registered Users
    edited March 2018
    Yes. Bretonnia as a race can be tricky at the beginning. Especially with mortal empires and you are at war with Lothern. You are the first front to land on for the high elfs if they want to go to the old world.

Bretonnia itself is in a better state then let's say Carcassonne. Now that was pretty hard in the beginning. As bretonnia you are close to a orc settlement so you can get rid off the -20 public order penalty if you like, or of course, use it to get rebellions to train your army and get some cash. Your call.

What I find to be very very important with a bretonnia race in mortal empire is to get knights early on and get them cheap. The peasant units can't really stand against all those new world races and such. And because knights are so incredibly expansive, you have to watch out you don't end up with 1 army only. Because my bad with Carcassonne was that I had 1 unstoppable army that won battle after battle while HEAVELY outnumbered but because they are so expensive and had only 1 army and the enemies came with army after army to my lands, I had to little armies to be everywhere with led to problems in my economy even more because of all the raids of skealing while I dealt with the unstoppable force of the high elfs that sended atleast 7 armies at all times. They where very beatable but 1 army can only be at 1 point somewhere. Keep chasing behind enemy armies in your own land was my undoing. As bretonnia I didn't really had that problem because of Marienburg and the special landmark building with gives a lot of income for the city. And of course having king Louen with his knights vows unlocked was a great help too :)

Good luck ! Bretonnia and Carcassone where one of my most enjoyable campaign ever played. I just love them very very much. And now with the new tech tree with they heavily needed it only gets better.

Awesome campaign!
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Posts: 3,083Registered Users
    DarkLordD said:

Yes. Bretonnia as a race can be tricky at the beginning. Especially with mortal empires and you are at war with Lothern. You are the first front to land on for the high elfs if they want to go to the old world.

Bretonnia itself is in a better state then let's say Carcassonne. Now that was pretty hard in the beginning. As bretonnia you are close to a orc settlement so you can get rid off the -20 public order penalty if you like, or of course, use it to get rebellions to train your army and get some cash. Your call.

What I find to be very very important with a bretonnia race in mortal empire is to get knights early on and get them cheap. The peasant units can't really stand against all those new world races and such. And because knights are so incredibly expansive, you have to watch out you don't end up with 1 army only. Because my bad with Carcassonne was that I had 1 unstoppable army that won battle after battle while HEAVELY outnumbered but because they are so expensive and had only 1 army and the enemies came with army after army to my lands, I had to little armies to be everywhere with led to problems in my economy even more because of all the raids of skealing while I dealt with the unstoppable force of the high elfs that sended atleast 7 armies at all times. They where very beatable but 1 army can only be at 1 point somewhere. Keep chasing behind enemy armies in your own land was my undoing. As bretonnia I didn't really had that problem because of Marienburg and the special landmark building with gives a lot of income for the city. And of course having king Louen with his knights vows unlocked was a great help too :)

Good luck ! Bretonnia and Carcassone where one of my most enjoyable campaign ever played. I just love them very very much. And now with the new tech tree with they heavily needed it only gets better.

Awesome campaign!

DarkLordD said:

Awesome campaign!

agreed

PS have you seen my PM?

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • ArizonaBlack1ArizonaBlack1 Posts: 247Registered Users
    Call me a noob but I actually like the -20 public order for the first part of the campaign. Easy leveling for your character in the first part of the game which I think helps. Bretonnia is a fun faction, one of my personal favorites
  • EnforestEnforest Posts: 2,087Registered Users

Call me a noob but I actually like the -20 public order for the first part of the campaign. Easy leveling for your character in the first part of the game which I think helps. Bretonnia is a fun faction, one of my personal favorites

I also like the greenskins event for Bretonnia. Even though I would prefer an actual Massif Oscal to be present in game and some actual greenskins raiders in there, first 20 turns of fightning rebelions a good early game boost, considering how dull Bretonnia region in terms of fightning anything else apart from Mousillon.

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!

Enforest said:

I also like the greenskins event for Bretonnia. Even though I would prefer an actual Massif Oscal to be present in game and some actual greenskins raiders in there, first 20 turns of fightning rebelions a good early game boost, considering how dull Bretonnia region in terms of fightning anything else apart from Mousillon.
    Most importantly though is the peasantry is again reminded who their betters are, no?
  • ZerglesZergles Member Posts: 3,011Registered Users
    No expert but,

I like starting with Alberic. Then I wipe the floor with Moussilon before the end of the Greenskin waves. After that you can confederate with Lyonesse (that's who it is right?) And you control the coast and get multiple ports. Which is great for you in the early game.

As for buildings, the general rule of thumb that Bret players told me, and that helped a lot is "Farms early to mid. Industry end of mid to late." Build farms and tech them up until you own most of Bretonia. Then once you start leaving to go kill Norscans, Greenskins, or even Wood Elves, start your new cities down a more industry centric path.

• PatriksevePatrikseve Member Posts: 1,673Registered Users
    edited March 2018
    I start with defeating the greenskins... then I go for marienburg and take the second territory they hold or take near is it middenheim? Sometimes I then force a peace after that or take the city. Techwise I focus to allow vassalisation and peaceful relations with the other duchess/kingdoms. I usually play as the king himself. Post that I try to defeat the vampires by building up my forces. Sometimes I wait for them they arent overly agressive in every game and can sit there just brooding. I dont tend to ruffle the Wood Elves nor do I fight wars with the Empire. And when you are done with Orcs and Marienburg and do the diplomatic stuff to gain more territory theres always the norscans. Now they are in a pre dlc state so they are a bit easier now. I tend to send an raiding army, sack cities or burn them down. It can be a great way to gain lots of gold early. Also if you have access to cavalry and can get some mobile forces you have a sweeter time against there horse archers and such that you can more easily counter.

In terms of buildings I tend to balance it out with economy, some foot soldiers I like having some spears and archers peasant wise and then focus on cavalry. The reason I like foot archers is that they are usefull against lightly armoured foes to some extent some norscan and greenskins armies. Also some spear/pikes can help protect your siege units.

Zergles said:

No expert but,

I like starting with Alberic. Then I wipe the floor with Moussilon before the end of the Greenskin waves. After that you can confederate with Lyonesse (that's who it is right?) And you control the coast and get multiple ports. Which is great for you in the early game.

As for buildings, the general rule of thumb that Bret players told me, and that helped a lot is "Farms early to mid. Industry end of mid to late." Build farms and tech them up until you own most of Bretonia. Then once you start leaving to go kill Norscans, Greenskins, or even Wood Elves, start your new cities down a more industry centric path.

Louen is 10000000 times better...

Turn 1 add damsel to army and hope its heaven. Attack marienburg stack.

Turn 2 take marienburg.

Turn 3 wipe out orcs and raze.

Turn 4 rest marienburg.

Turn 5 you probs have a rebellion at home but marienburg will try take marien burg back too. Deal with which ever is needed first.

From that point you are solid for the rest of the game.

Louens starting army is insane it counters everything. Just get kotr fast and they can stomp everything they face. Dont bother with infantry as bret

Zergles said:

No expert but,

Turn 2 take marienburg.

Turn 4 rest marienburg.

Turn 5 you probs have a rebellion at home but marienburg will try take marien burg back too. Deal with which ever is needed first.

Louens starting army is insane it counters everything. Just get kotr fast and they can stomp everything they face. Dont bother with infantry as bret

I like being close to Moussilon and killing them before the AI allows them to build up a big military. You have Estalia as your punching bag/new territory, and again, ports. Ports everywhere, to a point that you can get a ton of income alongside your average numer of farms. On top of that you are safe from the Norscan invasions that come later.
    The ll is a camper though. Is not hard to fight the vamps with louen ita easy to get military access and marienburg port is the best around.
  • Prkl8rPrkl8r Junior Member Posts: 476Registered Users

Zergles said:

No expert but,

Turn 2 take marienburg.

Turn 4 rest marienburg.

You can't actually attack marionberg on turn 1, instead recruit 4 archers.

Also you can make peace with marionberg as soon as you take the city to avoid that problem.
    Prkl8r said:

Zergles said:

No expert but,

Turn 2 take marienburg.

Turn 4 rest marienburg.

Also you can make peace with marionberg as soon as you take the city to avoid that problem.
    Yes you can.... they have an army on your border which you attack. Sometimes it retreats near the town so you can do 2 in 1.

Play the game before posting...

Prkl8r said:

Zergles said:

No expert but,

Turn 2 take marienburg.

Turn 4 rest marienburg.

Yes you can.... they have an army on your border which you attack. Sometimes it retreats near the town so you can do 2 in 1.

Play the game before posting...

I have never been able to get to Marinburg on turn 1. If you did, it was under specific circumstances which you yourself just admitted to. And that doesn't make for good advice. OP may not get the same outcome.
  • Mac_Mac_MacMac_Mac_Mac Posts: 103Registered Users
    edited March 2018
    Zergles said:

I have never been able to get to Marinburg on turn 1. If you did, it was under specific circumstances which you yourself just admitted to. And that doesn't make for good advice. OP may not get the same outcome.

To conquer Marienburg in Turn 1. Attach the Priestess to the army. Attack Marienburg Army, it should probably run near Marienburg(city). Attack the army again, this time fight the battle manually. Let some soldiers escape the battle. The rest of their army will retreat back to Marienburg(city). Attack the army again. This time the garrison will reinforce the army. Lay waste to the enemy armies. Kill as many enemies as possible. The enemy army is no more. The garrison is weakened. Attack the city. Conquer the city. Recruit a Paladin and Knights Errant for your next turn to attack the greenskins.

All this Turn 1. Please give it a try. XD

Zergles said:

To conquer Marienburg in Turn 1. Attach the Priestess to the army. Attack Marienburg Army, it should probably run near Marienburg(city). Attack the army again, this time fight the battle manually. Let some soldiers escape the battle. The rest of their army will retreat back to Marienburg(city). Attack the army again. This time the garrison will reinforce the army. Lay waste to the enemy armies. Kill as many enemies as possible. The enemy army is no more. The garrison is weakened. Attack the city. Conquer the city. Recruit a Paladin and Knights Errant for your next turn to attack the greenskins.

All this Turn 1. Please give it a try. XD
    I said this above... hes just dumb he probs hasnt played bret since the changes.