Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

FPS During battles - Engine question

HugothesterHugothester Senior MemberPosts: 566Registered Users
Hi guys!

This is an open question but I would like a reply from Jack if possible. Do we have any news on the engine Three Kingdoms will be using?
Total War Warhammer performed extremely well in general, with very good fps even on a GTX 970 on high, BUT, when big battles took place the common issue of low fps took place. No matter if you play Napoleon Total War with a GTX1080 (my card), the game will run at 15-30 fps at most during huge battles, and that happens accross all total war titles, huge battles kill the fps, understandable, but still somewhat bothersome.

I understand the number of soldiers highly affect the CPU as well and that it is an extremely difficult issue to solve, but I was wondering if some improvements have been made on the matter.

Best regards!
Biggest Spanish total war youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/hugothester

Comments

• NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    It doesn't really happen as much in Warhammer.

The previous games did suffer because the Engine was not nearly as robust as it is in Warhammer. We will have improvements. We always do between each game. For example Warhammer 1 brought us DX12 and 64bit support alongside slightly better multithreading support, though not a massive amount from my observation of task manager, but still noteworthy.
  • HugothesterHugothester Senior Member Posts: 566Registered Users
    You are right, I am wondering how much we will advance in this tittle, even though, as you say, in warhammer we are much better than before, with a GTX1080 and a I74770 I still get 20fps on battles with more than 2 full stacks.
    Interesting. I have a 1080, 6700k, and play at 1440p and never go below 40.

All we know is that it will improve. By how much can't say and I doubt the Devs would be able to answer as it's not really something that's quantifiable.

Interesting. I have a 1080, 6700k, and play at 1440p and never go below 40.

All we know is that it will improve. By how much can't say and I doubt the Devs would be able to answer as it's not really something that's quantifiable.

Well, 40 fps with a 1080 and 6700 is not a lot, with that is an extremely high end PC, you should be getting AT LEAST 60fps in 1080 if everything worked as intended. I guess you are using large units as well right? I use ultra.
    I have 2 PCs, since I work in Japan I brought my laptop with a GTX1070, and I get similar results to my PC with the GTX 1080.
    I use Ultra unit sizes

40fps is quite good as a minimum. Considering I play at 2560x1440p, increasing the resolution over 1080p by 50% roughly, is very taxing on the GPU.

So in 1080p I would be well over 60. But once you go to higher resolution it's hard to go back. So I'll stick with 1440p and my slightly worse minimum performance in battles.
    edited March 2018

I use Ultra unit sizes

40fps is quite good as a minimum. Considering I play at 2560x1440p, increasing the resolution over 1080p by 50% roughly, is very taxing on the GPU.

So in 1080p I would be well over 60. But once you go to higher resolution it's hard to go back. So I'll stick with 1440p and my slightly worse minimum performance in battles.

I am sorry to say I do not believe you, it is impossible to play current total war games at 2560x1440p with 80 stacks on ultra at over 40 fps, I have seen tests even with two GTX1080TI SLI and they have not gone above 30 fps with 40 stacks.
  • zspianozspiano Junior Member Posts: 372Registered Users
    edited March 2018
    it will use adapted WH engine as many feature can be directly implanted and re-skin to 3K!
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,357Registered Users
    Don't understand all these claims of great performance. Shogun 2 runs like dog **** on my 1070ti and 6700k. Literally drop to 30fps from 60 on large battles (more than 2 full stacks). And that's with SHADOWS OFF. I really just truly believe shogun 2 and Attila are optimized like garbage. Rome 2 and empire/Napoleon run at 60fps for me even on huge battles. 50 minimum. A 4v4 huge unit size will drop but that's obvious. I don't understand how shogun 2 will barely perform but a game made 3 years later runs like butter. It makes no sense to me. None. Me and never back down had a conversation about this before though. And I play at 1920×1080.
    I guess I always also forget to mention I play with morale nodded out completely, which means there's 3 times the amount of dead bodies on the field. That's probably a factor. Considering the stress I put on my system, I'm prob lucky it runs this well.
    Franz, I have found that dead bodies and antialiasing have a huge impact on fps, so that might definetely be a factor. Shogun 2 runs great for me unless I activate AA, I can´t go higher than 4x or it starts going below 40 fps with my GTX1080

Franz, I have found that dead bodies and antialiasing have a huge impact on fps, so that might definetely be a factor. Shogun 2 runs great for me unless I activate AA, I can´t go higher than 4x or it starts going below 40 fps with my GTX1080

I also play with AA at 4x, and yes I noticed to the dead bodies are taxing. Sigh. I guess that's it. I just gotta make morale last longer instead of taking it out. I can't stand short battles. Ruins the game for me
    I'm sure it would run flawless for me if I turned off AA, but no AA looks like straight garbage dude. Shogun 2 already has sprite problems even when you zoom out a little bit, even with AA x4. Can't imagine the jagged mess it would look like with no AA. 60fps watching a jagged freak show..lmao I'd rather take 30-40fps with AA x4..50-60fps always except when units clash on a large battle then it drops to 30-40. Just no consistency with CAs optimization. Its getting annoying. Some people say Napoleon runs like **** for them especially on big battles. Yet for me it runs flawless even with 10000 men each side. Yet shogun 2 runs like garbage with AA and filtering x16 and unit detail at ultra. By garbage I mean dropping from 60fps to 30 in literally one second, moving the camera around the map. Yet Rome 2 made 2 years later runs flawless. Yet Attila runs horribly. Wtf is going on with the extreme difference on different peoples systems? Please CA something needs to change. Warhammer varies from every person you talk to, although its better than most historical titles. That doesn't give me confidence. Its a different Animal. The judge will be thrones and 3k.

I use Ultra unit sizes

I am sorry to say I do not believe you, it is impossible to play current total war games at 2560x1440p with 80 stacks on ultra at over 40 fps, I have seen tests even with two GTX1080TI SLI and they have not gone above 30 fps with 40 stacks.
    It's not but whatever floats your boat. Have you even tried Warhammer? It's not that hard

I use Ultra unit sizes

Yeah, maybe its possible with WH, Idk, but no way that's possible with Attila. Like I said, for me shogun 2 won't even do that, but for others they say it runs perfect so that's great. But I think these people play with AA off and less than ultra unit size when they say "ultra settings". And I'm like well yeah, anyone can play with large unit size. That's nothing. It also completely ruins the little realism the battles have and ruins the epicness. Ill never go below ultra unit size.

I use Ultra unit sizes

Yeah, maybe its possible with WH, Idk, but no way that's possible with Attila. Like I said, for me shogun 2 won't even do that, but for others they say it runs perfect so that's great. But I think these people play with AA off and less than ultra unit size when they say "ultra settings". And I'm like well yeah, anyone can play with large unit size. That's nothing. It also completely ruins the little realism the battles have and ruins the epicness. Ill never go below ultra unit size.
    Exactly