Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

3 Years After Attila

MonkeeyoMonkeeyo Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 854
Three years after Attila and the game that we are supposed to treat like a new TW game fails to change to impress. What I mean is the re-use of assets from 5 years ago (ROME 2), considering the Warhammer games had dozens and dozens of new animations to accommodate the new character models, but for some reason games based on reality don't get new ones.

- Same looking siege towers (I doubt all siege towers looked the same)
- Siege equipment still magically pushes it self
- Same looking barbarian walls and towers
- The boats still magically row themselves
- No proper charging animations and shield bashing
- Proper cavalry charges (they did it in Warhammer, what happened?)
- Same combat animations from 5 years ago

If their excuse is that it's based on the Attila engine, what the hell were the Warhammer games based on? Why can't we get new models and animations in the same Engine when we did in Warhammer?

Also, animate those weird looking banners that are carried by the standard bearers, they look like cardboard.

Over the Alps perhaps!
Team Athens

Comments

• CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,163
    Then don't buy it.

Seems like a fair $35 game to me.

Not everyone is only obsessed with graphics.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,408
    Warhammer team is a different group that work on their own projects. They use a modified version of the TW engine, same way 3K will use a modified version as well. They are working at the same time and making changes for their games focus, so it's not interchangeable.

A lot of things looked rather similar with the small time frame, this also is often known as the dark-ages for a reason and only so many ways a man will use a sword or shield.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 19,812
    Not sure, based on the OP's post where the direction of this thread is supposed to go. Right now it looks like a rant.

Moving it there for now.

Open to the OP suggesting an alternative, and why. (By PM)

Thanks.

dge1
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • MonkeeyoMonkeeyo Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 854
    CnConrad said:

Then don't buy it.

Seems like a fair $35 game to me.

Not everyone is only obsessed with graphics.

Well if the game has no updated aesthetics what good is it for then? Gameplay? Is TW finally going to feel like an actual RTS when fighting against the AI from beginning to end? Or is it just going to be a steam roll of decisive battles?
    Over the Alps perhaps!
    Team Athens
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 687
    I think people are still having trouble grasping just what these "Saga" titles are supposed to be. They are not supposed big titles that bring new animations and other such things which cost a lot of money to make. In ToB they have mainly focused on the campaign map and have tried to make a more authentic game for the period.

Judging by the fact that the game was made by a small team and with limited resources, it appears that CA doesn't really care about making money from this title, this is further demonstrated by the fact that 25% of the pre-order money goes to a charity. I think they funded this project for us players that like historical titles, they wanted to make a small project which is as historical as possible, but without pouring many resources into it, since it is a bit risky.

If they spent a lot of money for this title, sure you might get new animations and graphics, etc. But how many people would still be excited about it? Probably not that many, because going from Warhammer titles which have so many units, to a limited historical title, is just not appealing to many people, so all of that money would have been wasted.

Adjust your expectations, I've been saying this since ToB was announced.
  • TorfinniusTorfinnius Registered Users Posts: 35
    Suliot said:

Judging by the fact that the game was made by a small team and with limited resources, it appears that CA doesn't really care about making money from this title

For me personally, considering that this is a low-budget glorified standalone DLC for Atilla that is sold at a relatively high price, this game just screams low-effort cash grab.

Suliot said:

Judging by the fact that the game was made by a small team and with limited resources, it appears that CA doesn't really care about making money from this title

For me personally, considering that this is a low-budget glorified standalone DLC for Atilla that is sold at a relatively high price, this game just screams low-effort cash grab.
    To me it seems like this is just a "passion-project" they don't expect to get much money out of. They are doing it just to explore something new, and give fans that want more historical content, something substantial to play.
  • TorfinniusTorfinnius Registered Users Posts: 35
    Picture from reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/84ukxf/dlc_for_thrones_of_brittania_confirmed/):

Notice the DLC button.

I mean, its great that some people are excited for this game even though I'm not and I hope you have fun playing it, but I find it weird that anyone would look at this game and think "passion project", when there are so many obvious cut corners and they are planning to milk people for DLC for a game that is already overprized considering how little new stuff it really offers.
    Guess we're going to have to wait and see what DLC they release and then decide if it was cut-out of the main game or not. With ToB being such a limited setting, I wouldn't be surprised if the only DLC we get is the Blood Pack.

I'm not saying the game is perfect, I haven't played it yet. My problem is that people expected this title to be like a completely new entry into the series, with new animations and features. When they kept telling us for a year, even before they announced it that this was going to be just a stand-alone expansion for Attila. And it was obvious that they were going to reuse a lot of stuff from that game. If you want something completely knew, including animations and other features then you're going to have to wait for Three Kingdoms. That is a title for which it is completely reasonable to expect a lot of new content, they've been working on it for years and they have a much larger team and much more resources dedicated to it.

Is it worth 40 bucks? I don't know it remains to be seen, I'm just saying learn to adjust your expectations, don't expect massive changes that require a lot of resources from such a limited title.
  • Nosferatu93Nosferatu93 Registered Users Posts: 100
    they simply dont care for the historical fans obviously. its only about the money as you have proven with the dlc button in a game that is not even released.
  • Nosferatu93Nosferatu93 Registered Users Posts: 100

Picture from reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/84ukxf/dlc_for_thrones_of_brittania_confirmed/):

Notice the DLC button.

I mean, its great that some people are excited for this game even though I'm not and I hope you have fun playing it, but I find it weird that anyone would look at this game and think "passion project", when there are so many obvious cut corners and they are planning to milk people for DLC for a game that is already overprized considering how little new stuff it really offers.

+1
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 25,095
    So...a sign that shows CA wants to create more content for a game, which also means longer support, means...they don't care?

Airtight logic.