Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Most anticipated new race?

Comments

• DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,412
    Well, thank you all for the answers :) Now I have an picture of what to expect from them.

It seems the beast lurks more in them then civilization. So I would expect them to be implanted in game as a horde rather then being able to settle ? or maybe an outpost style way perhaps ? with maybe the mountains of mourn as there primal 'city' that perhaps has some more option to build stuff ?

Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 2,706
    edited April 2018
    Eltarion said:

of course we might get this two for new races :wink:

Ok, can we plz get an option for the flag button called "heresy"?
  • Some_ScribeSome_Scribe Registered Users Posts: 1,376
    Draxynnic said:

4uk4ata said:

I think the Mordheim version harkens back to the Imperial ogres, who were essentially more or less integrated with Imperial society and from before the OK codex.

Wait.... Empire has orges? No spanking way
    They were part of the Empire list in 5E. That said, I'd thought that they represented the Empire's willingness to hire ogre mercenaries rather than truly being a part of the Empire. It's worth noting that Kislev stuff was also in the Empire list at the time.
    Yep. 4th edition Empire armybook, pg. 64:

"Ogres--40 points per model.
    Your army may include any number of Ogre mercenary regiments. Ogre bands are often recruited as mercenaries into the Empire's armies, where their great strength is highly valued."
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 19,751
    edited April 2018
    Ogres and Orcs share few similarities. Orcs are one dimensional, their only goal is war. For Ogres on the other hand they have multiple goals; war, power, fame, food, gold, etc. You'll never see an Orc become a mercenary and become part of the culture they fight for because they're simply not capable of it.
    DarkLordD said:

Well, thank you all for the answers :) Now I have an picture of what to expect from them.

It seems the beast lurks more in them then civilization. So I would expect them to be implanted in game as a horde rather then being able to settle ? or maybe an outpost style way perhaps ? with maybe the mountains of mourn as there primal 'city' that perhaps has some more option to build stuff ?

You're roughly right. Ogres are somewhat nomadic but they do have a homeland, and they do have settlements. They did conquer the sky titans after all. It's also why Maneaters feel compelled to return home after their travels. These aren't roving bands of monsters, they're stupid brutes, stupid brutes with their own culture, homeland, and traditions.

Given that Orcs were implemented as a regular faction and that Hordes are unpopular I wouldn't be surprised if Ogres received similar treatment.
    Post edited by Vanilla_Gorilla on
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!
  • BetoBotBetoBot Registered Users Posts: 247
    How dare you ask? :) ogres of course
    Zergles said:

DarkLordD said:

Question about those fat ogres,

are they somehow civilized ? do they have some kind of settlements ? or are they are hoard ? Do they speak a 'civil' * language with each other or is it more beast like ?

I have no clue, that is why I ask. What to expect from them ?

* Civil as in ; know the concept of emotions etc, and acknowledge them - this is an example, just to make a guideline of what I mean. I am sure you get what I try to explain here.

Think of Orcs.

Ok now think of Orcs that enjoy eating MORE than fighting.

Ok. Now you have Ogres. They and Orcs are virtually the same. Ogres being smarter-ish.
    Orcs have cannons?.. no they don't. Ogres have cannons...

Oh no.. they even have mobile cannons that they can use for stomping everyone... you charge their "archers" and they can anticharge cutting through your lines like butter...

BUT.. their cavalry is... big as a varghulf.... errr

No, No, it doesn't seem to be like orkz.... perhaps their gnoblars... but not the ogres.. ;)
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 7,900
    My 2c on this:

Ogres are as singleminded on food as orcs are on fighting.

A lot of people regard orcs as stupid, but while they're generally not as smart as humans, what's really going on is that they really don't care about anything other than fighting. Orc leaders, particularly Black Orcs, can actually be fairly smart, but only in matters related to fighting: so you can have an orc that has the typical orc lack of grammar and total disinterest in technology or architecture (outside of that immediately related to fighting), but who is as tactically adept as any human general.

Ogres have the same singlemindedness, but related to food. Anything that ultimately results in food is on the proverbial table. This means that they're somewhat more civilised than greenskins, since they recognise non-violent means of gaining food. For instance, it's largely because of the Ogres that the Ivory Road trade route to the Far East is traversable at all - they charge high tolls (in meat or gold, understanding that the latter can be traded for meat) for crossing, but the ogres claiming these regions means that they are claimed by a people who will accept tolls rather than blood as payment for passage.

Regarding their "horde or settled" nature:

It depends.

All Ogres are nomadic to an extent, but many are nomadic within a defined territory. Treating them as a settled faction, therefore, works: the people might move around a lot, but they're moving around within a defined area, and settlements likely still exist as meeting places. However, some Ogre tribes do venture out of the Mountains of Mourn on long journeys into the wider world, and these tribes usually do not stake out permanent territories - such tribes would behave more like hordes. One could view them as a mixed race, with some factions being settled and others being hordes. Alternatively, they could be treated similarly to Norsca: a settled faction, but one where sending out raiding stacks to earn additional income from looting is important. Under this model, the fully-nomadic tribes would essentially be represented by the stacks which the faction sends out raiding.

They might even be something of a weird mix between the High Elves and Norscans: having relatively low ability to produce income from their own settlements, but being able to compensate for this by being able to get high value out of raiding, sacking, and trade agreements.
  • itsonlymeitsonlyme Registered Users Posts: 225
    edited April 2018
    i was excited about khorne legions however, given how long a mortal empires game take, I have concerns about playing on an even bigger map....
  • ZerglesZergles Member Registered Users Posts: 3,014
    BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

DarkLordD said:

are they somehow civilized ? do they have some kind of settlements ? or are they are hoard ? Do they speak a 'civil' * language with each other or is it more beast like ?

* Civil as in ; know the concept of emotions etc, and acknowledge them - this is an example, just to make a guideline of what I mean. I am sure you get what I try to explain here.

Think of Orcs.

Ok. Now you have Ogres. They and Orcs are virtually the same. Ogres being smarter-ish.

Oh no.. they even have mobile cannons that they can use for stomping everyone... you charge their "archers" and they can anticharge cutting through your lines like butter...

No, No, it doesn't seem to be like orkz.... perhaps their gnoblars... but not the ogres.. ;)
    Orcs don't enjoy the idea of artillary in the first place. And there are factions who are further away from both Ogres and Greenskins that have no artillary at all. Humans wouldn't even have any if it were not for the Dwarfs. I don't see how that seperates them on any level other than battle doctrine.

Greenskins have Wyverns and giant spiders and boars that are freakishly large. Ogres and Greenskins try to tame wild creatures and use them to kill things. Yet another similarity.

Ogres are slightly smarter and larger Orcs. And Orcs are still more interesting.

@Zergles

Technically, Bretonnian Trebuchets were invented by an eccentric peasant. No Dwarf influence involved. (6th edition Bretonnia armybook, pg. 57, para. 2)
  • InquisitornInquisitorn Registered Users Posts: 98
    1. Slaanesh daemonic hordes
    2. Tzeentch daemonic hordes
    3. Nurgle daemonic hordes
    4. Ogre kingdoms
  • BetoBotBetoBot Registered Users Posts: 247
    Zergles said:

BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

DarkLordD said:

Think of Orcs.

Orcs don't enjoy the idea of artillary in the first place. And there are factions who are further away from both Ogres and Greenskins that have no artillary at all. Humans wouldn't even have any if it were not for the Dwarfs. I don't see how that seperates them on any level other than battle doctrine.

Greenskins have Wyverns and giant spiders and boars that are freakishly large. Ogres and Greenskins try to tame wild creatures and use them to kill things. Yet another similarity.

Ogres are slightly smarter and larger Orcs. And Orcs are still more interesting.

If it's about the lore what you are talking about then one more difference: orks grow from the fungus? They multiply using spores (I am no lore expert but I think this is true)...

Ogres reproduce as humans...

From my point of view they are very different.. or at least as different as dwarves and orks...
  • FrontlinerDeltaFrontlinerDelta Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,549
    Tzeentch and khorne.

Hoping they go super in depth for the daemons.
  • Wargol5Wargol5 Registered Users Posts: 1,306
    BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

DarkLordD said:

Think of Orcs.

If it's about the lore what you are talking about then one more difference: orks grow from the fungus? They multiply using spores (I am no lore expert but I think this is true)...

From my point of view they are very different.. or at least as different as dwarves and orks...
    No, Ogres and Greenskins are very similar on many levels. The ogres submitted to the greenskins in The End Times and it's not coincidence (*blurp*).
  • Gotrek_BeastslayerGotrek_Beastslayer Registered Users Posts: 1,397

Tzeentch and khorne.

Hoping they go super in depth for the daemons.

^ B)

WH Novels:

- Vampire Wars: The Von Carstein Trilogy: 10/10
    - Gilead's Blood: 8/10
    - Riders of the Dead: 9/10
    - Empire in Chaos: 9/10
    - Mark of Damnation: 7.5/10
    - Mark of Heresy: 7/10
    - G&F: Trollslayer: 6.5/10
    - G&F: Skavenslayer: 9.5/10
    - G&F: Daemonslayer: 10/10
    - G&F: Dragonslayer: 8/10
    - G&F: Beastslayer: 8.5/10
    - G&F: Vampireslayer: 7/10
    - G&F: Giantslayer: 7.5/10
    - The Chronicles of Malus Darkblade vol. one: 8.5/10
    - Drachenfels: 6.5/10
    - Genevìeve Undead: 7.5/10
    - Silver Nails: 9.5/10
    Wargol5 said:

BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

DarkLordD said:

Think of Orcs.

No, Ogres and Greenskins are very similar on many levels. The ogres submitted to the greenskins in The End Times and it's not coincidence (*blurp*).
    Well that's simply another thing to add to the list of terrible crimes against the lore committed by AoS.

Ogres are similar to Orcs, similar in that they're better in every possible way.
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!
  • MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Registered Users Posts: 939

Wargol5 said:

BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

DarkLordD said:

Think of Orcs.

Well that's simply another thing to add to the list of terrible crimes against the lore committed by AoS.

Ogres are similar to Orcs, similar in that they're better in every possible way.
    They're not better in EVERY way. They don't have monstrously huge spiders, at least not as far as I'm aware. I consider that a fairly significant flaw.
  • TRexTRex Registered Users Posts: 358
    BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

DarkLordD said:

Think of Orcs.

Biologically every race is different.

Ogres are big, dumb, dudes that love eating and fighting. Eating more than fighting. Orcs fighting more than eating. That's their main difference other than cosmetics.

Wargol5 said:

BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

DarkLordD said:

Think of Orcs.

Orcs have actual gods. Ogres worship a spooky hole in the ground.

Orcs have numbers. Ogres don't.

Orcs can technically keep growing in size and strength forever. Ogres get more blubber.

Orcs don't look like "even more homeless" mongols.
  • Aeio502Aeio502 Registered Users Posts: 50

Warhammer 2:

Araby

Warhammer 3: Ogre Kingdoms
  • Nyanko73Nyanko73 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,351
    Warhammer 2: Silver pinnacle vampires

Warhammer 3: Khorne legions

Team Yennefer

"A blinding flash materialised into a transparent sphere, and inside it loomed a shape, assuming contours and shapes at frightening speed. Dandelion recognised it at once. He knew those wild, black curls and the obsidian star on a velvet ribbon. What he didn’t know and had never seen before was the face. It was a face of rage and fury, the face of the goddess of vengeance, destruction and death." - Time of contempt
    Zergles said:

BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

DarkLordD said:

Think of Orcs.

Ogres are big, dumb, dudes that love eating and fighting. Eating more than fighting. Orcs fighting more than eating. That's their main difference other than cosmetics.
    Ogres have personality, Orcs don't.
    Ogres can travel the world as mercenaries, Orcs can't.
    Ogres are individually strong, Orcs are individually terrible fighters
    Ogres care about Empire and wealth, Orcs just do the same old thing.
  • ebaiebai Registered Users Posts: 21
    edited April 2018
  • ebaiebai Registered Users Posts: 21

ebai said:

Norsca.

I've been waiting 8 months.

Never preorder!!!

You already got Norsca. Pre order has nothing to do with not playing. That's a lame argument. You got it free and still going to.
    Oh yeah let me play them in WH2 with all the other races.

Oh wait I can't!

Stop trying to make an argument where there clearly isn't any.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/warhammer-ii-development-update

"The truth is we screwed up."

Zergles said:

BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

BetoBot said:

Zergles said:

DarkLordD said:

Think of Orcs.

Ogres have personality, Orcs don't.
    Ogres can travel the world as mercenaries, Orcs can't.
    Ogres are individually strong, Orcs are individually terrible fighters
    Ogres care about Empire and wealth, Orcs just do the same old thing.
    What are you talking about? Orc personality is known by people who don't even play Warhammer games at all. Orc-speak is known by all.

Orcs don't have to be mercenaries because they are an unstoppable tide of green doom. They travel the world regardless.

Orcs are actually pretty decent fighters. And they can reach levels of actual skill that Ogres cannot. (Black Orcs, Grimgor, etc.)

Everyone but Orcs care about empire and wealth...Orcs deviate from the same old thing.
    Orc speak - No thanks, I'm an intelligent human being, not a fungi obsessed with war.

Orcs are unstoppable? They've been stopped by a bunch of vertically challenged miners. Ogres took on the Sky Giants and ate them.

Orcs are decent fighters? Is that why they need to vastly outnumber their opponents and still die? Ogres on the other hand operate in small numbers and utterly crush foes with superior numbers.

Orcs personality begins and ends with fighting. They have nothing outside of it. Ogres are brutes, empire builders, trade mongols, mercenaries, they integrate with other cultures.

Orc speak - No thanks, I'm an intelligent human being, not a fungi obsessed with war.

Orcs are unstoppable? They've been stopped by a bunch of vertically challenged miners. Ogres took on the Sky Giants and ate them.

Orcs are decent fighters? Is that why they need to vastly outnumber their opponents and still die? Ogres on the other hand operate in small numbers and utterly crush foes with superior numbers.

Orcs personality begins and ends with fighting. They have nothing outside of it. Ogres are brutes, empire builders, trade mongols, mercenaries, they integrate with other cultures.

But...Ogres talk about as stupid sounding as Orcs....in many games, they just grunt and say a few phrases. Their native language is caveman.

Greenskins can be beaten in battle, but never completely. They reproduce too fast. And Ogres have been beat by veryically challenged Chaos Miners, your point?

Ogres are about the size of Minotaurs, or bigger. If they were Orc sized, they wouldn't be able to do that. And if Orcs were minotaur sized they would have destroyed/covered the world before Archaeon ever got around to his edgy phase.

Ogres are just meh Greenskins dude.
    Zergles said:

But...Ogres talk about as stupid sounding as Orcs....in many games, they just grunt and say a few phrases. Their native language is caveman.

Greenskins can be beaten in battle, but never completely. They reproduce too fast. And Ogres have been beat by veryically challenged Chaos Miners, your point?

Ogres are about the size of Minotaurs, or bigger. If they were Orc sized, they wouldn't be able to do that. And if Orcs were minotaur sized they would have destroyed/covered the world before Archaeon ever got around to his edgy phase.

Ogres are just meh Greenskins dude.
    And if Ogres had the Greenskins' numbers, they could've destroyed the world too.

Seriously, dude. "Ogres are just meh Greenskins"? How can that be when both races have completely different playstyles:
    -Orcs play very conventionally with a balanced army list that leans towards quantity over quality.
    -Ogres are the only race designed to field whole armies of monstrous units. They're all about quality over quantity, moreso than any other race. (One basic Ogre on the tabletop cost as much as 2 Chaos Warriors, and this was considered a great price for the Ogres).

Both races also boast very different unit rosters from each other, which one is better just depends on your own preferences and playstyle.

Also, in terms of power level, remember that in the End Times the Ogres fought the united Greenskins to a standstill. Greasus fought Grimgor and would've outright killed him if he didn't get cocky, giving Grimgor an opening.

Ogres and Greenskins also have quite different social structures, religious beliefs, magic lores, histories, ways of interacting with other races, and outlooks on the world. Sure, there are some superficial similarities between them, like rulers being the strongest member of a tribe, but there are more than enough differences to dismiss the idea that either race is just a poor man's version of the other.

If you don't like Ogres, that's fine. It's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But claiming that Ogres are just meh Greenskins shows a shallow understanding of Ogre lore.
    Ogres speak savage. Orcs speak a comedy imitation of savage. It's endearing at first but like all one note comedians quickly becomes boring.

Greenskins can't be beaten in battle because they breed too fast is acknowledging how weak in battle they are. Ogres don't need to be fungus because they're stone cold murderers.

If greenskins were bigger they'd be better, but they're not bigger are they? They're a small, weak, runty race that relies on outnumbering their foes a million to one to even have a hope of winning. While they get demolished by The Dwarfs the Ogres have no problem with the Chaos Dwarfs. The Chaos Dwarfs are far superior to regular Dwarfs as they're essentially three races in one, Orcs, Dwarfs and Demons.

Ogres are what happened after someone sat down, took a look at Orcs, said "Lets improve this race in every possible way" then did just that. The worst thing about Greenskins is that because they're fungus they're a vegan meal. They're not even good as food.
  • RazmirthRazmirth Registered Users Posts: 2,226

Razmirth said:

Chaos dwarfs, hands down.

And secondly, ungrim ironfist getting karak kadrin as a starting point.

^ This

It needs to happen. Every game on ME Karak Kadrin gets wiped out right at the start by some unremarkable Greenskin tribe. It's Karak Kadrin ffs how does that even happen? It's supposed to be full of Slayers!!. I want Ungrim to to hack them a new one with his massive freaking axe.

The other issue is that there no real big enemy in that area to hold undead in check at all. Zhufbar always is confederated or killed off early, scabby eye (or yellow eyes whatever they are called) kills off karak kadrin now early as well. So all that’s left to contend with vampires are the empire, who are dumb as rocks and tend to build mass stacks of spearmen, empire swordmen and outriders for the first 50 turns. While undead are pushing graveguard stacks with crypt horrors by the same time.

So having ungrim back in karak kadrin would be a good opportunity for the dwarfs to be more directly involved in empire and area, and control northern worlds edge mountains, with thorgrim/white dwarf having southern area battling it out with greenskins.