Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

God, these unit cards and icons. Are you kidding? I know im complaining already, but come on..

Comments

• TijuTiju TulifurdumPosts: 109Registered Users
    edited April 2018

It's neither disgusting nor crap, that just an exaggeration.

If anything, disgusting is acting is such a manner, fussing over such little things. It's art specific to the era, you like or you do not, fine either way, but it does not make it disgusting.

It is not your business to decide. :) Luckily we (I at least) don't live in a dictatorship which applies general taste rules and I'm not a) legally forced to buy the game and b) forbidden to say my opinion.

You can say your opinion, you like it or it does not matter for you, ok, I'm fine with it. Would you not buy the game if it had realistic unit cards? People who say it's a minority that will not buy don't get the point. :D

And btw there were lots of people who complained about R2 unit cards and some mods to change which received huge amounts of downloads.
  • BaalzamonBaalzamon Junior Member Posts: 137Registered Users
    edited April 2018
    I like them, but agree with what some said about the colours and texture - hopefully they will be edited to be more similar to the event-style before release, but not the end of the world for me if not. Not sure what I think regarding the leaders in the diplomacy screen though. Might be harder to "relate" to my leader with the current setup...
    There is no point in discussing with people that are not open to changing their opinion.
  • andreii707andreii707 Constanta, RomaniaPosts: 624Registered Users
    Tiju said:

It's neither disgusting nor crap, that just an exaggeration.

If anything, disgusting is acting is such a manner, fussing over such little things. It's art specific to the era, you like or you do not, fine either way, but it does not make it disgusting.

It is not your business to decide. :) Luckily we (I at least) don't live in a dictatorship which applies general taste rules and I'm not a) legally forced to buy the game and b) forbidden to say my opinion.

You can say your opinion, you like it or it does not matter for you, ok, I'm fine with it. Would you not buy the game if it had realistic unit cards? People who say it's a minority that will not buy don't get the point. :D

And btw there were lots of people who complained about R2 unit cards and some mods to change which received huge amounts of downloads.
    It's not about forcing you to like something, it's about making a fuss about insignificant. And it's neither your business to decide what is desgusting or not. DOn't like it fine, doesn't make it disgusting.

I'd buy the game with any type of unit cards because I have better things to worry abotu than that.
    "Don't leave for tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow." - Will find the author of the quote some other time.
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Posts: 2,591Registered Users
    Subjectivity doesn’t work like that. It is only ever anybody’s personal business what they consider to be disgusting. If he finds something that I find to be trivial to be disgusting, then to me it is trivial and to he it is disgusting.
    ò_ó
  • bellyboybellyboy Posts: 144Registered Users

I like the stained glass style.

+1
    I thought of stained glass when I first saw them too. To me, this elegant, yet simple art style speaks to the overall aesthetic of the period. I can get why it might not be for everyone and I can appreciate that some people might want more complex graphics. For me, though, having an art style that enhances other elements of the game is so much more powerful than just pure realism.
    edited April 2018
    Warlocke said:

Subjectivity doesn’t work like that. It is only ever anybody’s personal business what they consider to be disgusting. If he finds something that I find to be trivial to be disgusting, then to me it is trivial and to he it is disgusting.

He can have his opinion, he finds not buying a game just because of the icons trivial while I find it disgusting, just like you said.

I know how subjectivity works and I can have opinions about other people's opinions as well last I remember.

EDIT: Also the OP presented a personal grievance with the game, fine. I am not saying we should not criticise. But I think there are more important factors that warrant a buy or not that JUST the icons.

If the gameplay was just bad and that was the reason I would have understood the other poster but the poster in question is taking something rather trivial and making it a bigger problem than it really is.

It's like saying I don't like the background on this forum, I am going to stop using it just because of that.
    "Don't leave for tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow." - Will find the author of the quote some other time.
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,357Registered Users

Warlocke said:

He can have his opinion, he finds not buying a game just because of the icons trivial while I find it disgusting, just like you said.

I know how subjectivity works and I can have opinions about other people's opinions as well last I remember.

EDIT: Also the OP presented a personal grievance with the game, fine. I am not saying we should not criticise. But I think there are more important factors that warrant a buy or not that JUST the icons.

If the gameplay was just bad and that was the reason I would have understood the other poster but the poster in question is taking something rather trivial and making it a bigger problem than it really is.

It's like saying I don't like the background on this forum, I am going to stop using it just because of that.
    I agree. in the OP I just presented something i didn't like. In no way would it deter me from buying the game though, I'm still excited as hell for our first historical in a long while. I just wanted to hear other opinions. I do think not buying it just cuz of the unit cards is ridiculous though. I barely even get affected by that in game. I focus on the map and my empire and the battles. But he is entitled to his opinion, I just think not buying the game cuz of this is doing a harm to our future prospects for continued content in the historical area.
  • RolloSmersonRolloSmerson GermanyPosts: 79Registered Users

Warlocke said:

I understand how OP feels. For example, I hate how Toyota Prius looks, inside and out. It has amazing gas mileage, awesome cargo space and it is super reliable however to me personally, it is ugly. I'm not saying it is a bad car but I just hate esthetics of it. I considered buying it for a while (I pretty long drive every day to work) but I could not overlook esthetics where I'll be spending at least 3 hours a day every day. Similarly, OP does not want to buy this game because every time he will be playing this game and will be looking at something that he considers disgusting. Perfectly normal.

I hated unit icons as well, but more I saw them in different streams less opposed I became of them. However, the leader cards still did not grow on me and feel very unappealing to me.
    Fine with that, but a car is a car, it's expensive and aesthetics there are a bigger part of the experience. Again this is not about the OP, but about the poster saying the icons alone are so bad he won't buy the game solely because of the icons. The icons don't really occupy the whole screen but when you look at a car the first thing you see is its aesthetics, not quite exactly the same.

I am not against people expressing thier opinions, but once they do they're subject to other opinions as well, and in my opinion the icons are insignificant as a negative aspect in the grand scheme of things, but maybe I have the wrong mentality and I don't know, I tend to focus on the positive and enjoy games as they are, not what I could infinitely hype them up to be.

Criticism helps games, not whining. Whining is "I hate this with all my being, I won't buy the game.", criticism is "I dislike this aspect of the game, I would have preferred it it was like this [example]". Polite, to the point and constructive. Much more time-efficient and easier to get across to the devs.

It's like me going to a person and telling them I don't like their hair and as such I won't talk to them at all, before getting to know the important part, the personality. Same with the game, the gameplay and mechanics are far more important than the icons. Fine if you don't like them, give us an example of how you would want them and that would be 10x better.

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,632Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Let's all be careful how we phrase our analogies. They need to pertain to the topic of discussion and not to individuals posting opposing opinions.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin

Fine with that, but a car is a car, it's expensive and aesthetics there are a bigger part of the experience. Again this is not about the OP, but about the poster saying the icons alone are so bad he won't buy the game solely because of the icons. The icons don't really occupy the whole screen but when you look at a car the first thing you see is its aesthetics, not quite exactly the same.

I am not against people expressing thier opinions, but once they do they're subject to other opinions as well, and in my opinion the icons are insignificant as a negative aspect in the grand scheme of things, but maybe I have the wrong mentality and I don't know, I tend to focus on the positive and enjoy games as they are, not what I could infinitely hype them up to be.

Criticism helps games, not whining. Whining is "I hate this with all my being, I won't buy the game.", criticism is "I dislike this aspect of the game, I would have preferred it it was like this [example]". Polite, to the point and constructive. Much more time-efficient and easier to get across to the devs.

It's like me going to a person and telling them I don't like their hair and as such I won't talk to them at all, before getting to know the important part, the personality. Same with the game, the gameplay and mechanics are far more important than the icons. Fine if you don't like them, give us an example of how you would want them and that would be 10x better.

I agree with you on whining part. Hate people like that as well. I think the same if you don't like something try to offer a solution otherwise explain what is that you don't like in a civil manner.

That exactly what OP did (Read page number three). He explains his position really well and offers alternatives. I did the same thing throughout this topic. Even tried to make some sketches in photoshop (I suck at this). Therefore to me, it is a constructive criticism + solution based on his personal (people who agree with him) tastes. There is nothing wrong if do not agree with his point of view but comparing him to a whiner is disrespectful.
    edited April 2018

Warlocke said:

I understaexactly OP feels. For example, I hate how Toyota Prius looks, inside and out. It has amazing gas mileage, awesome cargo space and it is super reliable however to me personally, it is ugly. I'm not saying it is a bad car but I just hate esthetics of it. I considered buying it for a while (I pretty long drive every day to work) but I could not overlook esthetics where I'll be spending at least 3 hours a day every day. Similarly, OP does not want to buy this game because every time he will be playing this game and will be looking at something that he considers disgusting. Perfectly normal.

I hated unit icons as well, but more I saw them in different streams less opposed I became of them. However, the leader cards still did not grow on me and feel very unappealing to me.
    I'm OP, not the guy who said he's not buying game. U keep confusing the two of us dude. Actually READ the pages. Im the OP not the guy who says its disgusting.
    Again, nothing against the OP, FranzSaxon, he explained his point well and did not whine.

Warlocke said:

I understaexactly OP feels. For example, I hate how Toyota Prius looks, inside and out. It has amazing gas mileage, awesome cargo space and it is super reliable however to me personally, it is ugly. I'm not saying it is a bad car but I just hate esthetics of it. I considered buying it for a while (I pretty long drive every day to work) but I could not overlook esthetics where I'll be spending at least 3 hours a day every day. Similarly, OP does not want to buy this game because every time he will be playing this game and will be looking at something that he considers disgusting. Perfectly normal.

I'm OP, not the guy who said he's not buying game. U keep confusing the two of us dude. Actually READ the pages. Im the OP not the guy who says its disgusting.
    My bad. I read the whole thing. When I wrote it I thought he is talking about you. Apologies everyone for my confusion.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,589Registered Users
    edited April 2018

Question, is that Run? He looks better than Anaraut

Any idea who is this?

Regarding the unit cards, it's fine as long as the models in Real-Time looks good, it's fine.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 1,143Registered Users
    Just notices in the battle which was hosted by a YouTuber that the unit icon of the Wessex archers didn’t match to unit model. Archer icons are presented with helmets while the unit model didn’t had any helmets.
  • KregenKregen Member Posts: 484Registered Users
    to be honest at first I was not so keen on the icons but now I find they are growing on me. they also remind me of Viking cartoon that used to be on kids tv but cant remember what it was called.

Warlocke said:

My bad. I read the whole thing. When I wrote it I thought he is talking about you. Apologies everyone for my confusion.
    No probs rollo

Again, nothing against the OP, FranzSaxon, he explained his point well and did not whine.

Thank you Andrei. That's what I was going for. I've actually gotten used to them and I don't mind them now lol

Thank you Andrei. That's what I was going for. I've actually gotten used to them and I don't mind them now lol
    If you don't like the icons, it's all fine, we all have our preferences after all. If you told me that let's say you won't buy the game because you really do not like the mechanics etc. that would be fine as well, cause that's the bread and butter of the game. The icons though, a bit far fetched as a reason to simply throw aside the entire game, but it's perfectly fine not to like them.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 10,048Registered Users
    edited April 2018

If you don't like the icons, it's all fine, we all have our preferences after all. If you told me that let's say you won't buy the game because you really do not like the mechanics etc. that would be fine as well, cause that's the bread and butter of the game. The icons though, a bit far fetched as a reason to simply throw aside the entire game, but it's perfectly fine not to like them.
    It's perfectly fine to not buy the game for any reason a person wants.

"I don't like beards" would be a good enough reason for anyone. You are not arbiter on what is deemed an acceptable decision or thought process.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,212Registered Users

It was the unit cards that stopped me from buying Attila, frankly. The only other TW that I played when Attila came out what Shogun 2, and I was shocked to see that the game look way uglier than that older game. The unit cards was the nail in the coffin as it definitely left me with a poor first impression.
  • HunorHunor Posts: 132Registered Users
    I am sure modders make another style unit cards.
  • SkyjackSkyjack Posts: 92Registered Users
    I like them. Give an era specific artwork feel. I can see why some don’t like them but as other have said...mods.

I agree. Although commissar is technically correct, for ME, that's way to far; to skip a game just for unit cards. That's crazy. But everyone has their preferences. I do think calling it disgusting was uncalled for though lol.

"I don't like beards" would be a good enough reason for anyone. You are not arbiter on what is deemed an acceptable decision or thought process.
    Agree with you 100%. It is person's money and he/she should do whatever he feels right. Expressing his opinion about spending or why not spending is also his right. Similarly, it is Adreyii's right to express how he feels about. Therefore everything seems fine.

Also, agree with FranzSaxon, I made my peace with the unit cards however as I said before I would have loved to see faction leaders look at least as good as in Shogun II.

But I did not advocate or try in any way, shape or form to inhibit his right to express his opinion, I only criticised his opinion and reaction based on my preferences. "Disgusting" in quite a strong word for something subjective such as the artstyle of the game. Not liking it is fine, saying it is disgusting is taking it a bit far, it's not extreme gore or anything close to warrant the term. "Bad" would have been a better term.

And free speech goes both ways, everyone has the right to express their opinion and put it out where everyone can see, but that also comes with the fact that the said opinion becomes liable for criticism, basically what I did and what you did just now as well.
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    I feel bad saying this, as CA's art direction is top notch 99% of the time, but I'm also not a fan of these unit icons.

I totally respect the general design ethos of striving to make everything as relevant to the period as possible, but I think this is one of those instances where I would feel a greater sense of immersion from being able to relate to my faction's characters as real, living humans - albeit ones that were drawing breath over a millennium ago.

The problem with the unit cards as they are at the moment is that they are far too abstracted. Medieval art is well known for being almost laughably bad, with no perspective and minimal skills in portraiture. In terms of player experience, it simply makes it harder to empathize with (and thus care) for your characters and units.

Maybe an unfair comparison, as it was a major title, but the character portraits and artwork in the original Medieval were superb. Highly illustrated and the character portraits in particular were packed with charisma. Kinda disappointed a fair bit of googling doesn't throw any examples. Anyways, hand-drawn assets don't come cheap, but they sure as hell look good.

• WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Posts: 2,591Registered Users

But I did not advocate or try in any way, shape or form to inhibit his right to express his opinion, I only criticised his opinion and reaction based on my preferences. "Disgusting" in quite a strong word for something subjective such as the artstyle of the game. Not liking it is fine, saying it is disgusting is taking it a bit far, it's not extreme gore or anything close to warrant the term. "Bad" would have been a better term.

And free speech goes both ways, everyone has the right to express their opinion and put it out where everyone can see, but that also comes with the fact that the said opinion becomes liable for criticism, basically what I did and what you did just now as well.
    Nobody here has at any point said you don't a right to your opinion. Actually, the exact opposite has been asserted. We have only corrected your misapprehension of subjectivity explicit in the statement, "It's neither disgusting nor crap, that just an exaggeration."
    ò_ó

Agree with you 100%. It is person's money and he/she should do whatever he feels right. Expressing his opinion about spending or why not spending is also his right. Similarly, it is Adreyii's right to express how he feels about. Therefore everything seems fine.

Also, agree with FranzSaxon, I made my peace with the unit cards however as I said before I would have loved to see faction leaders look at least as good as in Shogun II.

Yeah. Same