Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ogre Kingdoms Food Mechanic Idea

BoldElfBoldElf Registered Users Posts: 191
Hi all I was just thinking about a possible mechanic for the Ogre Kingdoms using a similar food mechanic to Skaven but considering they will be a horde (more than likely due to lore etc) I would have thought maybe they need X food to feed Ogre units and keep them sustained and if the food falls to low they will take attrition but since Knoblars will most likely be in their roster they could have it so Knoblars start dieing off first to represent the Ogres eating them which would also make it worth while having a few knoblars in your armies to keep the Ogres fed should your food reserves drop too low.

I was also thinking they could possibly have a stance that would cause them to be unable to move for a few turns but would generate a lot of food for them or give them a big growth, recruitment time buff and replenishment boost to represent them having a Royal feast. This would be a different stance to the encampment stance (like the Beastmen and WoC use to build) which they would still have allowing them to move around and then re camp each turn.

Please note this is just an idea/theory crafting so I am not saying this will happen I just thought it would be fun to theorize and talk about :)

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 32,357
    Ogre kingdoms will not be a horde. The hint's in the name "Ogre Kingdoms".

Personally I'd like to see them have a mechanic similar to the Waaaagh one, except each army has its own food meter which gives buffs / debuffs dependent on its food level.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

#JusticeForCathay

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster

• Adrift65Adrift65 Registered Users Posts: 61
    Gnoblars

Just sayin'
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,165
    OKs will absolutely be a horde since Kingdom doesn't imply stationary but a system of governance, and the lore supports a horde.

All in all, great idea.
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 5,029
    MrJade said:

OKs will absolutely be a horde since Kingdom doesn't imply stationary but a system of governance, and the lore supports a horde.

All in all, great idea.

I highly doubt they will be a Horde. With Chaos Divided and maybe the Daemons of Chaos (if they are not in game 2) being highly likely to be hordes as well, that is way too much for game 3.

And besides, Ogres do have settlements.
  • BoldElfBoldElf Registered Users Posts: 191

Personally I'd like to see them have a mechanic similar to the Waaaagh one, except each army has its own food meter which gives buffs / debuffs dependent on its food level.

Definition of Kingdom note "Territory"

kingdom

noun
    a country, state, or territory ruled by a king or queen.
    "the Kingdom of the Netherlands"
    synonyms: realm, domain, dominion, country, land, nation, state, sovereign state, province, territory; More
    the spiritual reign or authority of God.

Also the following is taken from their official lore:

So they will more likely than not be a Horde which I hope they are as I like Horde Gameplay
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Registered Users Posts: 4,310
    I know the topic isn't "Will they be a Horde" but I wanna put my 2 cents in. I'd say if CA didn't make Greenskins a horde they're not going to do so with Ogres either. Reason being is that both races have easily identifiable territory that is exclusive to their race. What I mean is, there are areas of the WH world where these races are the dominant occupants, those being the Badlands for Greenskins and Mountains of Mourn for Ogres. The above descriptions of Ogre society could just as easily be applied to Greenskins as well and yet Greenskins were given permanent settlements in game 1. If there's a place where they can legitimately put them, I think they're going to do that.

With Beastmen and WoC it's different; Old World Beastmen live in the deep forests which are at least nominally claimed by human factions so it makes sense that they'd be a horde. For WoC, we didn't really get much of the Chaos Wastes in game 1 plus the race was really more of a rushed job since they originally weren't intended to be playable until the public demand made them so. It was probably easier just to make them a horde than to add to the map. I think it's possible in game 3 that we'll see more of the Chaos Wastes and subsequently settled WoC factions.
  • Adrift65Adrift65 Registered Users Posts: 61
    I just think it is funny people think the name "Ogre KINGDOMS" has any relevance on whether they will be a horde faction or not. lol
  • BetoBotBetoBot Registered Users Posts: 247
    Horde? .. no PLEASE nooooooo...

Food?.. I prefer a big counter of captives... you eat those captives each turn... the only way to get captives is war... something that makes you aggressive as the orks...
  • GallowmereWarlockGallowmereWarlock Registered Users Posts: 311
    Don't know why people want another horde
    <3
  • hurricane501hurricane501 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,834
    If they are a horde, 4 horde factions in game 3 = the doom of the game, NO BODY will buy that, chaos and BM are the most hated factions in the game so far... i like chaos myself but they are far too strong its like an easy mode to explore the map and wipe everyone out.
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Registered Users Posts: 2,819
    An interesting food mechanic.
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,760
    I would buy game 3 even with two of the races being hordes. You never know hordes in general could be completely revamped being the first base game horde race. Or you could go the other way and wonder if the demons capture territory and transform it into chaos wastes. Either way I look forward to any general gameplay improvements game 3 will bring let alone the new races to play with.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • Some_ScribeSome_Scribe Registered Users Posts: 1,382
    Ogres should be able to form hordes, but should also be able to settle down like barbarians in Attila. That's the most lore-friendly way to represent them.

If they are a horde, 4 horde factions in game 3 = the doom of the game, NO BODY will buy that, chaos and BM are the most hated factions in the game so far... i like chaos myself but they are far too strong its like an easy mode to explore the map and wipe everyone out.

You make a good point (I don't know where you get the 4 in game 3 from though?), not only is it not accurate lorewise to have Ogres as a horde it's not right gamewise. As is Demons are going to be a horde, making Ogres a horde would make game 3 heavy on the least played type of race. It would be to the detriment of the game to twist Ogres into a horde.

Ogres are like Orcs but better in every possible way, if they didn't make Orcs a horde they won't do so with Ogres.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

#JusticeForCathay

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster

You make a good point (I don't know where you get the 4 in game 3 from though?), not only is it not accurate lorewise to have Ogres as a horde it's not right gamewise. As is Demons are going to be a horde, making Ogres a horde would make game 3 heavy on the least played type of race. It would be to the detriment of the game to twist Ogres into a horde.

Ogres are like Orcs but better in every possible way, if they didn't make Orcs a horde they won't do so with Ogres.
    Ogres and the chaos factions, 5 really since 4 chaos factions :\ 5 hordes? holy poop
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,165

Let's not derail the thread. Go talk about this in another place.

On topic, again, it's a great idea.
    edited April 2018

Ogres and the chaos factions, 5 really since 4 chaos factions :\ 5 hordes? holy poop
    Indeed, game 3 would be just "Lets all rush to raid this 1 Chaos Dwarf outpost!" ick, no. Mechanically game 3 doesn't work if Ogres are a horde.
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on

#JusticeForCathay

Forum Terms & Conditions

• Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,052
    Fossoway said:

MrJade said:

All in all, great idea.

I highly doubt they will be a Horde. With Chaos Divided and maybe the Daemons of Chaos (if they are not in game 2) being highly likely to be hordes as well, that is way too much for game 3.

And besides, Ogres do have settlements.
    Chaos Divided/DoC are more likely to be able to settle since there is Chaos fortresses in the Chaos Wastes if my memory serves me correct and I really doubt they'll leave them as hordes if they are going to make Ogres into a full settled faction regardless of how nomadic they are.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

edited April 2018
    Ive said my piece, i doubt OKs will be a horde even with the OPs vision, it doesnt make sense that game 3 will be all hordes, no on likes hordes and CA actually wanna sell some copies.
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 40,045
    edited April 2018
    Some side conversations removed. As I understand it the topic is the Ogres' food mechanic so please stick with that. If you want to discuss a horde mechanic please start a separate thread. In either case keep the personal sniping off the forums.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • BoldElfBoldElf Registered Users Posts: 191
    ben8vtedu said:

I know the topic isn't "Will they be a Horde" but I wanna put my 2 cents in. I'd say if CA didn't make Greenskins a horde they're not going to do so with Ogres either. Reason being is that both races have easily identifiable territory that is exclusive to their race. What I mean is, there are areas of the WH world where these races are the dominant occupants, those being the Badlands for Greenskins and Mountains of Mourn for Ogres. The above descriptions of Ogre society could just as easily be applied to Greenskins as well and yet Greenskins were given permanent settlements in game 1. If there's a place where they can legitimately put them, I think they're going to do that.

With Beastmen and WoC it's different; Old World Beastmen live in the deep forests which are at least nominally claimed by human factions so it makes sense that they'd be a horde. For WoC, we didn't really get much of the Chaos Wastes in game 1 plus the race was really more of a rushed job since they originally weren't intended to be playable until the public demand made them so. It was probably easier just to make them a horde than to add to the map. I think it's possible in game 3 that we'll see more of the Chaos Wastes and subsequently settled WoC factions.

I believe the lore clips I posted speak for them selves plus CA are staying true to the lore but as Billy has said this is about food mechanic ideas so if you want to argue why you don't think they will eb a horde there are plenty of other threads for that.

Now having said that I had another idea in regards to food mechanic/Horde. Since the lore says they trade almost as much as fight I was thinking maybe they will be one if the only faction that could be a horde as well as being able to trade. I am thinking maybe when they raid or attack cities with resource production abilities might grab a huge stash of say Diamonds, Golden Idols, Salt etc and be able to sell them to the other factions for food (the other faction would use money but the ogres would use that to buy a huge stock of food etc) .

Additionally to add to my idea where they can get a huge boost to growth, replenishment and recruitment maybe that stance will cause them to form a huge ogre camp that can act a bit like a city for X amount of turns before they are allowed to move again but if they did it in a region controlled by someone else they would also get a big boost to their food and money but would suffer huge penalties with the controlling faction since they should lose most if not all their income and growth since the ogres are taking it all so this could result in a war with the ogres and the owning faction and since they can't currently move as they have committed to feasting etc they could have several fights on their hands until they are ready to move again (which they will be happy with as they can get more food and money from the fights but its a big risk as they can't choose the fights they want)
  • corvus_codexcorvus_codex Junior Member SpainRegistered Users Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2018

Do you know in real life, Attila had an "empire"? Even when they were still nomadic tribes?.
    and you know the ogre realms are based on the attila/huns and the mongols?

thats the real hint.

if that do not convince you, I have a lot of "lore clippings", where it is said that they are nomads, and have migratory camps.
    "I am the harbinger of your demise. I am the nightmare in all mortals. I am the thing you fear the most. I am death..."
    —Valkia the Bloody.
  • corvus_codexcorvus_codex Junior Member SpainRegistered Users Posts: 3,073
    ben8vtedu said:

if CA didn't make Greenskins a horde they're not going to do so with Ogres either

Greenskins aren't nomadic, they live everywhere.
    they form fixed tribes, or sack and take big cities, man... not even the wild greenskins are nomadic in the lore.

orcs only get themself nomad, when they survive to the massacre of their own home, and when that happen, they go to another place and and settle down again.
    "I am the harbinger of your demise. I am the nightmare in all mortals. I am the thing you fear the most. I am death..."
    —Valkia the Bloody.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 10,972
    Guys, we have a five-page topic on the question of "will ogres be a horde" which is still on the front page as I type. Post your arguments there... preferably after reading those that have already been made.