Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Almost 15 years on release-day... ... What a change over the years!

bbeslybbesly MemberGermanyPosts: 269Registered Users
edited April 2018 in General Discussion
Medieval: Total War Viking Invasion - was released on May 7th 2003...

... almost exactly 15 Years later (May 3rd 2018) we get - Total War Saga: Thrones of Brittania.

What a change!
What an awsome Game-Series!
What an awfull lot of time have I invested in "just one more round" ... :D:D
Post edited by bbesly on

Comments

• BolshevikBolshevik Posts: 93Registered Users
    A lot

ABOVE: Soviet officer Alexey Yeremenko leads his men into combat. He was killed seconds after this photo was taken near Voroshilovgrad, Ukraine - July 12, 1942.

My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bolshevik-/
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,165Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    "Just one more round" - been there soooo many times. :)

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,357Registered Users
    Just one more turn..
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,755Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    I still have the game......
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    dge1 said:

Just...one...MORE!! (Looks up, 4am)
  • bbeslybbesly Member GermanyPosts: 269Registered Users
    edited April 2018
    dge1 said:

Have it newly installed to take the screenshot...
    ... Took me more than 2 hours to "alt tab" out again to finish the collage...

As said: just one more turn... :D:D
    Post edited by bbesly on
    bbesly said:

dge1 said:

Have it newly installed to take the screenshot...
    ... Took me more than 2 hours to "alt tab" out again to finish the collage...

As said: just one more turn... :D:D
    Hahaha yup
  • norseaxenorseaxe Posts: 402Registered Users
    Lol!!! I haven't played that game in years. I still remember when it came out I was so excited about that game. That was one of my favorite games to play at the time. I actually started looking for the game but unfortunately I can't seem to find it. Yeah CA has come along way since then wow have the years flew by.
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,284Registered Users
    edited April 2018
    I still have the old Activision CD though the one installed now is the Steam version. Somehow the game (Shogun 1 and MTW 1) feels so wierd playing on modern pc and flat screen monitors.
  • fredericmeyernfredericmeyern Posts: 231Registered Users
    I still have it.

Will never forget one campaign as the Almohads, my first in fact.
    Holding in the Pyrenees, while one crusader army after another crashed into my troops in waves.
    Lost my top commander, I'd given him titles, lands, but despite his death my troops fought on.

Was a point where the army, now being led by someone from the rank and file, was a tattered remnant of itself, taking the high ground, and somehow holding off yet another wave of death. Thought it impossible to win, but they did. Then my relief forces arrived from further south, while I also pushed up through Egypt, and I slowly took control of the seas to make a move on Italy. The pope would pay for this.

Did give it a try again lately. The campaign map has come a long way since then, obviously the battles have improved a lot graphically, but the problems introduced with the first Rome have taken a long time to overcome.

Rome is looked on by many as a gold standard, maybe because for many it was the first they played.
    But while it was a big step graphically, it was many steps backward in terms of the battles, and the ability of the computer to use the campaign map effectively. With added complexity and the switch from sprites, it was bound to have problems, but most didn't notice because it was a lot of fun to watch, and it was almost impossible to lose a battle.

MTW works because it lacks complexity, in battles the AI knows what everything is, what it should be used for, and the risk based map is simplicity defined. Most of us accepted it would take time to catch up again, given the added complexity, and the ambition is admirable.

Anyway, looking forward to TOB.

• RocketlegionRocketlegion Member Posts: 621Registered Users
    Been playing the old Viking invasion, gotta say its more entertaining than the new one. Religion mechanics, better AI.
  • PERICLES1789PERICLES1789 Junior Member Posts: 71Registered Users
    Hi,

A year ago (april 2017) I wrote a post proposing a « viking invasion remake » after the AOC release, as a new dlc or even a stand alone.

I would really like to thank CA and Mr Lusted. First the game seems really great, far beyond my own expectations when I played Mercia with AOC. It is much more fun than a Attila DLC or a simple stand-alone. Saga concept seems very interesting. The TOB team seems deeply involved to produce a successful game.

It seems really fine the AOC team was involved in TOB.

And last I have to write the CA fan service is really great by many aspects.

By the way I have kept my old Viking Invasion CD.) Nostalgia…Nostalgia.

Really many thanks CA.
  • norseaxenorseaxe Posts: 402Registered Users
    I looked all over my house just to load it on my computer but couldn't find the cd. well I decided to download it from steam for only $9.99 medieval gold edition that's with Viking invasion. I started playing as vikings the 2d sprites look terrible in battles but the battles did last longer. I like the giving of titles I wish they would bring that back that was pretty cool to have in the game. Yeah CA has come along way since then it's still a fun game if you can get around the 2d sprite part in battles.
  • Ard_RiArd_Ri Posts: 9Registered Users

I still have it.

Holding in the Pyrenees, while one crusader army after another crashed into my troops in waves.
    Lost my top commander, I'd given him titles, lands, but despite his death my troops fought on.

Was a point where the army, now being led by someone from the rank and file, was a tattered remnant of itself, taking the high ground, and somehow holding off yet another wave of death. Thought it impossible to win, but they did. Then my relief forces arrived from further south, while I also pushed up through Egypt, and I slowly took control of the seas to make a move on Italy. The pope would pay for this.

Did give it a try again lately. The campaign map has come a long way since then, obviously the battles have improved a lot graphically, but the problems introduced with the first Rome have taken a long time to overcome.

Rome is looked on by many as a gold standard, maybe because for many it was the first they played.
    But while it was a big step graphically, it was many steps backward in terms of the battles, and the ability of the computer to use the campaign map effectively. With added complexity and the switch from sprites, it was bound to have problems, but most didn't notice because it was a lot of fun to watch, and it was almost impossible to lose a battle.

MTW works because it lacks complexity, in battles the AI knows what everything is, what it should be used for, and the risk based map is simplicity defined. Most of us accepted it would take time to catch up again, given the added complexity, and the ambition is admirable.

Rome Total War with EB1 may never be topped in my book, but I did love the original Medieval Total War with no mods. I once fought a 3.5 hour battle as the Turks against the Mongols (something like 10-12 20 unit stacks involved in the battle), came out victories only to have my faction leader die two turns later with no heir... ah the memories!
  • bbeslybbesly Member GermanyPosts: 269Registered Users
    edited April 2018

By the way I have kept my old Viking Invasion CD.) Nostalgia…Nostalgia.

Really many thanks CA.

I have posted my "collection" on Reddit just this weekend... (don't want to show off - but I'm a little bit proud of it ;) )

As for the "Thank You" to CA, I couldn't agree more!
    Post edited by bbesly on
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    What a cracking expansion that was. And how far the series has come!

Long may CA prosper.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,755Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Fredrin said:

What a cracking expansion that was. And how far the series has come!

Long may CA prosper.

Quite agree!
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • AstraeusAstraeus Member BrittonisPosts: 360Registered Users
    Did anyone buy the original due to Time Commanders? I sure did. I never knew @CA and these type of computerised toy soldier games existed until stumbling over that TV treat.

Looking fwd to the next 15 years of amazement! :kissing_heart:
  • oliverpmasonoliverpmason Posts: 891Registered Users
    Ard_Ri said:

I still have it.

Rome Total War with EB1 may never be topped in my book, but I did love the original Medieval Total War with no mods. I once fought a 3.5 hour battle as the Turks against the Mongols (something like 10-12 20 unit stacks involved in the battle), came out victories only to have my faction leader die two turns later with no heir... ah the memories!
    EB1 was amazing. Although constant desert invasion as Carthage from the Ptomolies over the desert was a constant pain! They do a really good EB2 for Med2 as well.
  • Mstewa30Mstewa30 Posts: 350Registered Users
    Holy **** that makes me feel old.

Still remember playing medieval 1 as the byztanies for the first time....ohhh that was amazing!