Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Medieval:TotalWar Numerology

Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior MemberSingaporeRegistered Users Posts: 3,596
edited March 2013 in Medieval: Total War
From the original thread. I am condensing individual posts. This thread concentrates most of the known information on the various statistics of the game. More can be found in the various guides and help stored at the Org.

Obake Date (04/15/04 17:52:06)

At the request of AgentBif and a few others, I've pulled together some information with regard to the "numbers" used by the game to calculate the impact of morale on troops in battle.

There are a couple of threads on the same subject over at totalwar.org, as well as in the Bradygames strategy guide. It's impossible to give specific credit to any one person or group of individuals, so in turn I'm thanking everyone who ever posted on this subject anywhere in the community since the initial release of MTW! :D

The different states of Morale, and their numerical values:

Impetuous: 10 and above
Steady: 2 to 14
Uncertain: -5 to 5
Wavering: -14 to -6
Routing: "Complete Guide to TotalWar Units" Guide over at the www.totalwar.org

*** Positive Morale Factors ****

+2 Morale for every point of valor
+2 Morale for the Generals unit (automatic)
+1 Morale for being within 50 meters of your General (for every command point the General has)
+1 Morale if further than 50 meters from your General (for every TWO command points the General has)
+4 Morale for outnumbering enemy troops
+4 Morale for having a units flank protected
+2 Morale for being uphill of enemy units
+4 Morale bonus to units charging on their own because they are impetuous
+6 Morale if a unit is "winning"
+4 Morale to nearby units if there is a 3:1 advantage in local superiority
+8 Morale when two or more enemy units are routed
+8 Morale to any units fighting where there is no escape (ie Castle defense, or surrounded by enemy provinces)
+4 Morale for routing units with no enemy nearby
+8 Morale for routing units that rally

*** Negative Morale Modifiers ***

-2 Morale to units in "Loose" or a disordered formation
-3 Morale for units being "Very Tired"
-6 Morale for units being "Exhausted"
-8 Morale for units being "Completely Exhausted"
-2 Morale for being shot at by Missles
-4 Morale if those Missiles "Cause Fear" (ie Cannon)
-4 Morale is outnumbered by the enemy at 2:1
-12 Morale maximum if outnumbered by the enemy 10:1 (could be less)
-2 Morale if a flank is threatened
-6 Morale if both flanks or a flank and the rear is threatened
-4 Morale if charged on a flank
-6 Morale additional if infantry is charged on a flank by Cavalry
-8 Morale if charged on a flank by a hidden unit
-2 Morale if unit takes 10% casualties
-8 Morale if unit takes 50% casualties
-12 Morale if unit takes 80% casualties
-8 Morale maximum if unit is "Losing" (could be less)
-6 Morale additional to infantry "Losing" against Cavalry
-12 Morale maximum if two or more friendly units rout (could be less, depending on type)
-8 Morale immediately following General's death (temporary)
-2 Morale permanently following General's death (does not impact Elite or Disciplined units)
-6 Morale to skirmishers running out of ammunition
-6 Morale to skirmishers being pursued long distances (not sure just how long)

SP Campaign Game settings:

+4 Morale to your troops on Easy
+4 Morale to AI faction troops on Expert
+12 Morale to ALL units if Morale is turned off in realism settings

Obake Date (04/15/04 17:55:18) [Unit Valor Explained]

This question was originally raised by AgentBif, asking how Valor was calculated:

"I believe CA people have confirmed that the valor of each individual soldier is tracked in the game so that when you merge two units, you are not losing your veterans.

However, does this also apply to the combat bonuses attained from valor?

Example:

I have 10 late royal knights with 4 valor and 10 late royals with 0 valor. When I merge them, the resulting unit should be an average valor of 2. Ok, the valor of the individuals is tracked so that when the greens die off, the vets still contribute their high valor to the unit.

In combat, valor adds +1 attack/defense and +2 morale per point. Do each of the men in the unit receive these combat bonuses according to the average reported valor of the entire unit or do they get bonuses according to their individual valor? I am concerned because the F1 screen reports the bonuses according to the average valor.

In other words, would I have:

10 vets with +2/+2/+4
10 greens with +2/+2/+4

Or will I have:

10 vets with +4/+4/+8
10 greens with +0/+0/+0"

and here is LongJohn2's (CA programmer responsible for tactical AI, morale and valour) response:

"Ok. It's moderately complicated, so bear with me.

Valour is indeed tracked separetely for each man, and the unit's valour is roughly speaking the average of the valour in it.

The unit's valour is used when determining morale, as the game would get very messy if each soldier had his own morale behaviour. Think of it this way. In AgentBif's hyperthetical unit, the presence of the veterens steadies the green troops somewhat, but the green troops will still panic first. Once they start running, the vets know that it's devil take the hindmost, and they'll run too.

When it comes to combat bonuses, these depend on both the unit valour and the indiviudual's valour. The portion from the unit's valour represents such factors as teamwork and esprit de corps. The portion from an individual's valour represents his own personal skill and experience. So the combat bonus is formed by adding a man's personal valour to his unit valour, and then splitting it between attack and defence (and before you ask, it's done in a cunning way that means you don't lose out due to rounding)

So when we say that a unit gets +1 attack and +1 defence per valour point, this is only true for units where all the soldiers have the same valour. In the hyperthetical unit, the green guys will get +1 attack and defence whereas the vets will get +3 attack and defence.

The f1 screen shows the stats for the unit as whole, because otherwise it would get rather long :-) .

Motorhead (04/15/04 20:26:49)
Morale:
official strat guide says: units withing 50 meters gain +1 morale per command, units beyond 50 meters gain +1 morale for every 2 command

==========================================
This stuff may be a bit OT from morale and valor but I hope worth mentioning.

1) Difficulty settings in SP:
from longjohn2 post at the Org:
"The combat strength of the a.i. units is affected by the difficulty level.
On easy its combat effectiveness is reduced by 30-40% (can't remember the exact figure).
On hard it's increased by 10-15%, and on experct its 30%. 30% being around 75% of the increase you'd get from 1 valour upgrade."

2) Hitpoints for commanders post by Kraxis:
====== START
Ok, lets see if I can remember it...
The system looks like this:
Base hitpoints: 4
King: +6
Prince: +4
Command: Adds +1 per rank
V&V: 1/3 of Health bonus, rounding down. +5 to Health means +1 hitpoint.

So a king of Rank 6 with the Virtue Mighty Warrior (+ 10 Health) would look like this:
+6
+6
+(1/3 * 10 = 3)
= 19 hitpoints. Not bad at all.

I was told by a dev once, I believe it was Mike, that the max hitpoints lies at 30, but then you would need a good number of V&Vs.
====== END

Edit: This info may be overkill regarding how morale is calculated but i'll t.o.s.s. it into the mix as it is from a dev:

Posted: June 25 2003,16:10 Longjohn2 - programmer
Surprised it's not in the strat guide, but yes there is a morale penalty for taking cassualties, that depends on the percentage suffered in the previous combat round. These are quite prone to random variations, so an unlucky round can tip a low morale unit into rout. Missile cassulaties count here too, so a lucky volley can be much more effective than the relatively small penalty for being under fire would suggest.

The indication of who's winning and losing takes into account push backs as well as kills, so it is possible to be winning whilst suffereing more cassulties.

========================================

Posted: June 26 2003,17:02 Longjohn2 - programmer
As you've all guessed the 20% etc losses penalties are static, and as such depend on the initial size of the unit. There are another set of penalties (I'll try to look them up for you when I'm at work) dealing with cassulties sufferred in the preceding second. These percentages are worked out on the current strength of the unit.

Outnumbering is based on both numbers and men, and combat power. A unit has to be outnumbered by the requisite amount in both areas to get the penalty. This was a change from Shogun which was based on a straight banner count. The change was mainly aimed at helping to get rid of small units at the end of battles.

The army destroyed penalty kicks in when most of an army's combat power has been eliminated. Again it's intent is to speed up the end of games by getting rid of small units that have rallied well away from the action, and would be a chore to hunt down.

The "disheartened by constant retreat" penalty is related to the Benny Hill detection code that routs your unit if you try to win a battle by running around avoiding combat until the timer runs out. As the retreat counter builds up you get a morale penalty that serves as a warning, and may if you're lucky tip your unit into a normal recoverable rout, rather than the unrecoverable Benny Hill penalty rout

AgentBif (04/15/04 23:22:47) [Valor and Archery]

Good stuff here Obake! Thanks for taking the time to put it up.

Here's another contribution from a recent thread:

A question came up regarding whether valor actually does impact archery. After numerous tests demonstrated that valor had no statistically discernable affect on the lethality of archers, Puzz3D finally dug up this old post by Longjohn at the org:

longjohn2
Programmer
posted 10-30-2002 07:38 PM

Valour does increase accuracy, but not by much. The accuracy was increased in MI rendering the valour upgrade relatively minor.
Never quite found time to address it in MTW

bif

panzerjager88 (04/16/04 19:45:24)

well...what hitpoints determine is the number of times a general can take a fatal blow before actually dying...it doesnt makea jedi per se...especially if your uber general has low valor (like that ever happens unless hes fat)

basically each combat cycle the combat model calculates an attack for each little soldier based on the kill formula.....each individual soldier (including the general) can only be attacked by 2 other soldiers 1 in cycle MAX....and each soldier gets to make a single attack

at least thats how i understand the way the game works

so now each cycle your uber general with around 14 valor (say like 11 attack 14 def) and around 14 hitpoints against any lesser unit will effectively be able to a kill an enemy almost guaranteed every cycle (unless he gets pushed back i think) while the enemy will have no chance...and if he does he has to repeat it around 15 times....

guess that explains your jedi

which is why arbs, lbs, and gunners are great because as far as i know an unlimited number of projectiles can strike any single unit and thus take out a "jedi" in a few salvos

Motorhead ( 04/17/04 02:02:23)

More dev posts from the Org:
(i'll post more when i get a chance to sift thru them - Motor)

1) Dread on the battlefield
longjohn2 - Programmer
posted 10-17-2002 06:26 PM
Dread has no direct effect on the battlefield. I don't know if it has any effects on VnVs which affect the battle.

=========================================

2) Squeeze penalty
longjohn2 - Programmer
Posted: June 23 2003,15:19
The penalty for being squeezed too tight applies everywhere, and doesn't depend on whether or not a unit is on a bridge or in a gateway. Indeed, one of the main purposes of it is to stop people cheating and getting two or more units to occupy the same space.
As well as the penalty for being attacked, overlapping soldiers also only fight at half effect.
/** something i didn't catch before, "fight at half effect" **/

============================================

3) More on squeeze; kills for valor
longjohn2 - Programmer
Posted: June 24 2003,19:02
The squeezing effect is indeed calculated on a man level basis. Each man needs a 1 meter diameter circle of personal space to be able to fight effectively. Cavalry need more.
Naptha and most artillery work on area damage model, having a certain chance to kill any man within a given radius of where they land, so they'll certainly be more effective against tightly packed units.
I've discussed kills and valour before. Suffice to say that they are bunch of factors that determine how many kills a particular kill actually accounts for. They were put in for Shogun, so have something of an honour based theme. They depend on relative honour levels, social status, and such factors as whether the victim was killed in melee, shot, or hacked down while running away.

4) On pikemen
longjohn2 - Programmer
UK Posted: Oct. 22 2002,19:49
I'm not aware of any problems with pike rank bonuses. However, the rank bonus is not nearly as simple as "this unit is nominally in 5 ranks so it gets 4 ranks worth of bonus". In order for a fighting man to get a bonus, it is necessary for the men supporting him to be closed up behind him, facing the same direction etc. As a fight progresses, these conditions are met less and less frequently, and the pike unit gets less and less bonues. Look at whether or not the back rank guys are doing their fighting anim to tell if they're counting or not.
One thing I've noticed that really screws up a pike unit, is making a turn just before contact, as it disrupts the whole formation. Try to make sure they charge straight.

I've made a couple of adjustments to pikes in the patch, to give them more pushing back power, and to give them an advantage against spears, on the grounds that they have longer weapons, and historically replaced them.

=============================================

5) Cavalry vs infantry
longjohn2 - Programmer
UK Posted: Oct. 02 2002,19:28
One point that none of you mention is that Medieval knights routinely got off their horses to fight on foot. Surely a foolish strategy if infantry can be bowled over as easily as some of you suggest.

I've modelled the game on the assumption that cavalry cannot break into a close packed infantry force, provided that the infantry keep their nerve. Therefore when cavalry first hit infantry, the infantry recieves a big morale minus, and will often break immediately. If this doesn't happen then it depends on the relative quality of the cavalry and infantry, whether or not the cavalry can force their way into the formation. If they do, it's likely they'll win as the infantry unit will continue to get large morale penalties for losing to cavalry.
If they don't break in, the cavalry and break off, and have another go.

The game depicts spear pikes and polearms as being extra effective against cavalry, but this is largely a game simplification for the wider market. In reality I don't think it mattered that much what the infantry were armed with. Greek hoplites, Roman Legionaries, and Saxon huscarles could all defeat cavalry charges.

In terms of momentum, cavalry will always force back non spear infantry, unless the infantry are able to make a succesful strike on the cavalry. Thus it's the quality of the infantry that's the deciding factor. You could rationalise this saying that it's the bold stance ( or lack of ) of the infantry that determines how much the cavalryman really goes for the charge, and how much he pulls up at the last moment.

6) Location of new ruler
GilJaysmith - Code Panda
Creative Assembly / Littlehampton Posted: June 12 2003,10:58
It's the province with the highest number of buildings, whatever they are. If there's a tie it's the last such region in the faction's list.
Gil ~ CA

7) Naval combat system
GilJaysmith - Code Panda

Creative Assembly / Littlehampton Posted: Sep. 26 2002,14:15
Originally posted by IXJac:
It really wouldn't be THAT hard to modify the battle system to do medeival fleets; hell even 1:1 flagship battles like in Centurion would be fun.

Why does everyone seem to think that it wouldn't be hard to do this?
Our estimates ran at a minimum of six man-months of work, which would then require lots of testing and balancing to produce something which you wouldn't be sneering at as being primitive, "why did you waste your time doing something so c.r.a.p.", etc etc ;-)
Gil ~ CA

RabTheRab 04/20/04 12:41:30

Posted (In expanded format) at the request of AgentBif:

Many poeple who play the game to 100% victory don't get the massive rebellion "bug."

Why? They are good leaders and worry about peasant happiness. They plan for it.

Build happiness buildings. Here's a list so you never have to worry about mass rebellions again.

Building (happiness bonus)

Town Watch (+10)
Town Guard (+10)
Town Militia (+10)
County Militia (+10)
Brothel (+10/level)
College of Surgeons (+40)
Church (+20)
Mosque (+20)
Monestery (+10)
Reliquary (+30)
Cathedral (+40)
Grand Mosque (+40)
Watch Towers (+10)
Border Fort (+10)

EDIT: Looking at the build prob file I interpret some of the happiness bonuses differently:

For a start i'm certain that you get +20 for Watch Towers not +10, and that this is increased to +30 if you upgrade the WT to a Border Fort.

Also, it looks to me like the brothel and militia buildings only ever give a +10 bonus no matter what level you build them up to , i.e. in terms of region happiness there is no additional bonus for building a lvl 2 brothel/militia, once you have the lvl 1 building of these types.

Shats (04/20/04 17:24:30)

uhhmm 'Bif, archer accuracy does actually get quite noticable over 4 valour. >D Sad but true, significant in campaign, but ellusive in custom and MP. I suspect archery 'quantification' is from a maximum, like 100%-20-valour (rough and innacurate (heh) example). As archer valours get higher, the delta gets larger with each increase. Considering there are other so many dilutary factors, like unit redress making near random (but not quite) numbers of target individuals walk about... wind n' weather, terrain height and facing differences, target angle yadayada finding significance without the higher valour values available in campaign becomes futile... as we both discovered.

I ran some 7s versus some 2s and it, the kill difference, was silly in the 7s favour (vanilla archer versus vanilla archer). Around a 5% per volley which extrapolated to final sizes, before enemy rebel leader killed and rout, at maybe 70% versus their 6%. If it had been several of each, versus several of each, I think three 6s versus three 2s would have had even less loses from tripple teaming causing instant routs every time for no real loses.

Valour on archer accuracy is significant, as long as it's significantly higher than mp maximum. >D

AgentBif (05/15/04 17:26:08)[General Combat Mods by Puzz3D]

This post was made by Puzz3D on the org:

http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=7;t=8298

I'm copying his post here as it is a convenient place gather all the numerology on this game:

Each man has an attack value and defend value used in calculating the chance to kill his opponent on each "strike" in a combat cycle. Each man who is fighting gets one "strike" within a combat cycle. Men can be double teamed in a combat cycle and will then have to parry twice, but they still only get to stike at one of the two opponents.

chance to kill = 1.9% * 1.2 ^ df
difference factor df = attack - defend + bonus
attack is the attack value of the striker
defend is the defend value of the opponent
bonus is any combat modifier that applies
charge is added in as a combat modifier

Charge (from the Strategy Guide):

Clicking on an enemy unit causes your unit to go to charge speed once it gets close to the enemy unit. It takes 2 or 3 seconds to reach maximum charge speed (presumably from walking speed). A charging soldier makes immediate strikes against all opponents he contacts. Each time he fights a little momentum is lost. When sufficient momentum is lost, the charge ends and the soldier looses the charge bonus. (Note: we know now that running speed is above the momentum threshold for charge bonus. So, men moving at full running speed get the charge bonus if they contact enemy men.)

Pushback:

In an attack, the striker has a chance of pushing back his opponent which gives him a strong combat bonus on the next strike. Factors affecting the chance of pushback are: kill chance, advantage in supporting ranks, mounted vs foot. Charging cavalry always pushes back any foot soldier who is not facing him with a spear, pike or polearm. (Note: v1.1 patch altered spear, pike and polearm pushback so that charging cavalry has a chance to pushback these men even when they are facing the charging cavalryman.)

Combat modifiers:

Formations

+3 atk, -3 def for wedge formation
-2 atk, +2 def for hold formation

Spear/pikes

+1 def per rank (up to 2 for spear, 4 for pike)
+1 atk per 2 ranks when not charging
+1 atk per rank when charging
No rank bonuses in trees

Terrain

+1 atk for camels in sandy desert
-1 atk for camels in lush or temperate
-2 atk, -2 def for cavalry or camel in trees
Bonus to atk for being uphill (amount depends on height difference)
Penalty to atk for being downhill (amount depends on height difference)

Fear of camels

+4 def for camels against horses
+2 atk for camels against horses

Positional

+5 atk for flank attack
+7 atk for rear attack
+2 atk for charging into flank/rear
+6 atk on the following combat cycle after 'pushing back' the enemy
+5 atk when target squeezed too tight (example: bridge or castle gate)

Exhaustion

-2 atk when quite tired
-3 atk, -1 def very tired
-4 atk, -2 def exhausted
-6 atk, -3 def totally exhausted

Routing

+4 atk against routing enemies
-8 def if routing

Armor Piercing

atk bonus = (target armor - 1)/2
(remove the contribution of the shield and horse to target's armor before making this calculation)

Shield

If striker hits target from the rear:
+2 atk if target is footman with large shield
+1 atk if target is mounted or footman with small shield

Edited by Puzz3D on June 24 2003,03:29

Motorhead (05/19/04 01:42:16) [Dev comments]

1) Wedge vs. Spears
longjohn2 Programmer
UK Posted: Sep. 28 2002,19:55
Try using the shock units in wedge. Using wedge changes the way that enemy soldiers are pushed back (away from the attacker, instead of straight back ) and this tends to disrupt the spear units, and prevent them getting rank formation bonues.

2) What's up with shield modifiers (from unit_prod files)
longjohn2 Programmer
UK Posted: Sep. 12 2002,21:04
The shield value modifiers are there for heavily armoured units, because the more armour you have, the less you need a shield, and the less good it does you. If a shield deflects a blow that would been deflected by your armour anyway, then it hasn't benefited you much. Because of this, later Knights stopped using shields altogether.
I put the modifier in to show that shields are more valuable for less armoured shields, and so that units that got depicted with shields for artistic reasons, don't get an advantage over those that are realistically depicted.
{{ some units like Varangian Guard have a large shield but receive 0 defense and just 1 armor from it while a unit like Muwahid Foot receive the full +2 defense and armor - Motorhead }}

3) spies breaking sieges; victories needed per command
eat cold steel Programmer
CA, UK Posted: Jan. 20 2003,11:16
> Spys had the same valour, it depends which castle type I guess and the garrison inside and general ranking.

The higher the spy's valour the higher the chance, the larger the caster the lower the chance, the longer the siege has been going on the higher the chance. It's easiest on the turn just before the castle falls.

The number of battles won minus battles lost is use to calculate the command. The number needed to advance is double each time. 1 to command 1, 2 extra battles to command 2, 4 extra battles to 3 and so on...

4) Loyalty, re-emergences, and the papacy
OhLordy! Mercenary
Posted: Aug. 30 2002,18:50
Hi MTW community,

The re-emerging factions thing can indeed be a pain. However, after subjecting EatLead to a particularly gruelling session on the rack, I managed to extract the info I was after:

Keep your loyalty at 120% or above in provinces that previously belonged to the faction you've eradicted and they will not re-emerge. (at least not in any provinces you own!)

I did deliberate on whether or not to post this info & in the end decided that it probably wouldn't spoil anyone's game... put 'em down and keep 'em down!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the Pope is an exception, I don't think you can ever keep him down permenantly, he'll always make a come back.

bloody popes eh?
{{ GilJaySmith posted a followup explaining OhLordy! and EatLead are, in fact, devs - Motorhead }}

Motorhead (05/22/04 01:03:52) [Spies in VI]

In VI a spy affects loyalty by the following formula: 40% + 20% per valour. So, a 5-star spy has a 140% happiness effect. This can either boost the happiness in a domestic province or reduce it in a foreign province. (Be aware that the AI will reduce taxes to compensate, so the next turn their prov may not fall below the rebellion/re-emergence threshold of 120% due to lower taxes.)

The biggest news is loyalty is only affected by the highest valour spy in a province. Additional spies have no effect on loyalty whatsoever. So seven 1-valor spies have the same loyalty effect as one 1-valor spy, not a 7-valor spy.

(Thanks to Phatose at the Org who originally posted this)
Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
Technology Discussion Section
How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
Post edited by Maeda_Toshiie on

Comments

• Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporeRegistered Users Posts: 3,596
    edited June 2010
    Continuation of the original thread (1).

Motorhead (06/06/04 02:23:30) [Merchants, tax rates, and difficulty settings]

(from an Org post)
    Trading post: 100% (baseline - you get to trade)
    Merchant: 120%
    Merchant Guild: 140%
    Master Merchant: 160%

(from an Org post)
    Tax Ratings AND Change in Happiness/Loyalty:
    -25% for very low
    -10% for low
    === normal taxes ===
    +10% for high
    +25% for very high taxes

[for both tax rate and happiness, the % given is from the normal number. Going from low to very low is not c.u.m.ulative - i.e. you don't add 10% to 25% and get 35% happiness when taxes at lowest rate.]

(from Frogbeastegg's MTW Guide)
    On difficulty
    There are four difficulties, easy, normal, hard and expert. Your difficulty will decide how much money you start off with, any bonuses given to you or the AI and what tactics the AI will use on the two maps. Starting funds are as follows:
    Easy = 10000 florins
    Normal= 8000 florins
    Hard = 6000 florins
    Expert = 4000 florins
    On easy the player will get an extra +4 to morale in battle, making it harder for the AI to rout your troops. On expert the AI get this bonus. Normal and hard don't give anyone a bonus. The AI will use different tactics on the battlefield depending on your difficulty. Here is a list provided by GilJaySmith, one of the developers of Total War:
    - On expert the AI gets a morale bonus - on easy the player gets one
    - On hard and above, AI skirmishers will try to avoid being pincered
    - On easy the AI will not consider going into loose formation to avoid being shot at
    - On easy the AI will not consider outflanking, double-envelopment, or stop-and-shoot tactics
    - On easy the AI won't move troops out of the way of castle walls that may be about to collapse
    - On easy the AI will try to hide rather than flee if the battle is going badly
    - On easy the AI will not try ambushes
    - On easy the AI will not try the 'appear weak' battle plan
    - The AI is more likely to deploy in woods on harder difficulties, and less likely to camp near the red zone on easier difficulties
    - The AI is more likely to consider scouting the map to find the rest of your army if it can't see it all on higher difficulties
    - On easy the AI will not skirmish
    - On higher than easy, the AI will specifically consider sh00ting at your artillery
    - On easy the AI will generally attack rather than defend, and will not consider withdrawing for a much longer time
    - On higher than easy, the AI will check to see if it's marching into enfilade fire when attacking your main body
    - On easy the AI may come out of a wall breach to chase you if you attack and are repulsed

/END FBE guide info

In addition to these changes LongJohn (another developer) says the following: "The combat strength of the a.i. units is affected by the difficulty level.
    On easy its combat effectiveness is reduced by 30-40% (can't remember the exact figure).
    On hard it's increased by 10-15%, and on expert its 30%. 30% being around 75% of the increase you'd get from 1 valour upgrade."

[regular AI factions start with 8000 florins on every difficulty level, rebels start with 2000. checked on VI 2.01 - MH]

Expert vs. Hard Difficulty comparison.

Ran a not so quick test: Early/Byz. once on hard, once on expert. used the .matteosartori. cheat and debug mode to see the map and all rulers. Played each campaign until 1110.

- in both Hard and Expert, every faction _except_ byz start with 4 Influence. Doesn't matter how many provs a faction starts with. Both HRE (large) and Aragonese (small) started with 4-Influence. Byz start both eras with 6-Inf. On Easy, the player starts with a +2-Inf bonus, all other AI factions 4, except the Byz with 6 (in debug mode, byz did not receive +2 when i switched to their faction but all other factions i switched to _did_ receive a +2 boost)

- In both Hard/Exp every faction gained +1-Inf for every 2 provs gained beyond what they started with.

- There appears to be a basement level for influence. In both Hard/Exp games, I chased the Turkish sultan into the castle of his last prov. Both games he had 2-Inf even though he held no province.

- in both Hard/Exp games, a successful crusade resulted in +1-Inf

- in both Hard/Exp games, 100 troops added 16% loyalty to a prov (assuming you're on manual taxes of course, otherwise auto-tax may b.u.m.p you up a notch, which will lower loyalty). This 16% boost per 100-men applies to both the player and AI factions. // i used debug mode to check this, separate from the Hard/Exp campaigns//

- in both Hard/Exp games starting province loyalty (both player and AI) were identical. // i used debug mode to check this, separate from the Hard/Exp campaigns//

Some exceptions:
    - Spanish and Aragonese both gained an additional +1-Inf for no apparent reason around 1100 (mebbe i missed some special event?).

- I saw only one civil war - HRE/Hard. New Emperor came to power and he had _5_ Influence (one better than his predecessor), yet same turn 1/2 of the HRE went into civil war. The HRE had lost several provs to French and Italians, but why did the new ruler's influence increase??? Even the turn after, when the rebels held onto 4 of 5 provs, his influence remained 5.

Unit Size from FBE's MTW Guide:
    Unit Size
    The size also affects the effectiveness of the BG units. FBE's unit guide has the ratio of the unit sizes:
    On small size: Bodyguards 20 cavalry 20 infantry 30 spears 50
    On default size: Bodyguards 20 cavalry 40 infantry 60 spears 100
    On medium size: Bodyguards 20 cavalry 53 infantry 80 spears 133
    On large unit size: Bodyguards 33 cavalry 66 infantry 100 spears 166
    On huge unit size: Bodyguards 40 cavalry 80 infantry 120 spears 200

edit: 8/13/04 - fix to tax happiness/loyalty numbers. thanks to mablung of the heavy hand

edit: 8/21/04 - added more info on difficulty, from info i posted earlier this year. added FBE's info on unit size

Motorhead ( 06/07/04 23:17:21) [Dev post about rebellions and re-emergences]

A bit of a moldy post, but it's from a dev:
    /START
    eat cold steel
    Programmer
    HOF Award 2003
    Group: CA
    CA, UK Posted: Sep. 11 2002,10:35
    Alright I feel I have to make a reply here.

First of all the Papist is special, they will always come back. HRE is special, any general can take over once a king dies with no heir, but they do need proper "undetected heir" to re-emerge.

Shift key is a bug, it only updates every time you open the region information parchment. [this was fixed in the 1.1 patch - Motor]

When the game says, he has no heir, that mean indeed mean no heir of age. Have you guys not lost the game because you have a son yet he is not old enough, this is what is happening to the AI.

The game do keep track of all the royal family, even eliminated ones. If any of the underage heir comes of age, there is a chance of them coming back until they becomes too old (that means between 19 and 59.) When they re-emerge, they'll start producing heirs if they don't have some already. Anyone with half a brain will make sure their family line is secure before they try to take on the rest of Europe in a rebellion. That means you have to keep their faction down for 60 years or so before their royal line will die out properly. If they re-emerge then you'll have more underage heir in exile.

When they re-emerge, they ONLY come back in regions where they previously held before, even for as short as one turn. Re-emergence only ever happens along side a regular rebellion. Once the game decided a rebellion should happen, it checks to see if there are factions are waiting to return, and fires off a re-emergence if there is, else it'll be a peasant revolt. This 120% loyalty thing decide if any other region will join in a re-emergence. What this mean is if ANYONE have a region that is below 100% which triggers a rebellion, and that rebellion is a faction re-emerge, then any region which was once held by the dead faction with below 120% could also end up with loyalist troops.

The sizes of the troops is large because we want them to actually stay on the map for more than one turn, and play a further part in the game. We don't want to have a "faction re-emerged" parchment followed by "faction eliminated" parchment. From the sound of "I've killed faction such and such for the 50th time..." those troop are not anywhere near strong enough.

As for all the other post about "200% loyalty and still get revolt" Civil wars are not the same as rebellion, bandits are not the same as rebellion. These two have nothing to do with the loyalty of the region. When you look at a region and it says 200% loyal, that means it is 200% loyal now, lots of things can change after you pressed the end year button, and chances are it will not be 200% later after battles and new incoming spies and such had their effect. Taking a region could increase the level of unrest due to empire size, losing a region could lead to lower influence of your king, any battle will mean you have less troops than before. Rebellions also spreads, so if there is just one disloyal region, any neighbouring regions will take a hit on their loyalty and their neighbours will take a hit and so on.

I hope this clears things up a bit.
    /END

- the pope can always re-emerge, regardless of loyalty
    - the game tracks underage heirs of eliminated factions
    - re-emergences only happen along with a regular rebellion (i.e. less than 100% loyalty) and only in a province they held for at least one turn. Once the game determines a re-emergence has occured, ANY province that faction once held that is below 120% can also see loyalist troops appear.
    - rebellions cause neighboring provinces to suffer lower loyalty.
    - confirmation that large empires suffer a provincial happiness penalty.

OncleGeorge (06/26/04 22:39:58) [great tool]

Hello folk, I notice this post (pretty **** good guys) and I have a tool which will surely interest all of you, its a great tool to see difference between differents units...
    I don't know if you already know about it but anyway here is where you can download it:

(edit)
    Welcome to the forums OncleGeorge! Yas's Unitmaster program is indeed an excellent program and I would recommend it to anyone interested in doing a unit comparison. However, in the future please only link to the original site. Yas and the Taiwan Cavaliers put an incredible amount of effort into this tool, and should at the least get our traffic in return. On top of that, it's just good practice to make sure that you are only downloading a program from the source. It's too easy to add something else and re-package it.

Link deleted.
    (/edit)

It can also be use for Viking Expansion

ciao ^_^

/edit
    moved link here to tidy up.
    To dowload the tool directly: http://www.totalwar.co.kr/phpBB2/download.php?id=25
    To go to their site (with online tool): http://shogun.cafe24.com/medieval/
    - Motorhead
    /edit

NOTE: The links above are unfortunately dead. The tool may be available elsewhere on the internet.

Lt Nevermind (07/11/04 11:31:19) [Trade]

A small summary about trade goods mostly from the .org:

by therother and cutepuppy

the relative values of trade goods:

S.p.i.c.es.........50
    gems..........50
    dyes...........50

glassware....40
    furs............40
    wine...........40
    sugar..........40
    ivory...........40
    silk.............40
    honey.........40

wool...........30
    cotton........30
    linen...........30
    hides..........30
    pottery.......30
    olive oil.......30
    grain..........30

wood.........20
    wax...........20
    butter........20
    fish...........20

these values have to be multiplied with .52 as they stand for 100 weeks and there are 52 weeks/year. Upgrading the trade post gives the following values

Trading post................100% (basic)
    Merchant....................120%
    Merchants Guild...........140%
    Master Merchant..........160%

Then the remaining factors are Ac.u.m.en from your King that multiplies (1 + 0,02*A) and your governor that multiplies (1 + 0,1*A) where A stands for Ac.u.m.en. Also multiply V&V's if there are any and taxing has the following effect.

Very Low..........75%
    Low.................90%
    Normal............100% (basic)
    High...............110%
    Very High........125%

EDIT
    The later parts seem to have been posted before by Motorhead but I'll leave it here anyways.
    /EDIT

mablung of the heavy hand (07/24/04 08:12:53)

@Motorhead:
    "Tax Happiness/Loyalty (using normal = 100% for baseline)
    +35% Very low
    +20% Low
    === normal 100% ===
    -20% High
    -35% Very high" - originally from FBE's guide.

Wouldn't the change in happiness/loyalty for low and high be 10%. When changing the tax rate I always notice the changes of 15% => 10% => 10% => 10% => 15% - I always do my own taxes so I am sure.

edit - yep, yep. fixed it in my original post. thanks for catching that

Stonewall382 (07/24/04 23:44:47)

Probabilities for agents to succeed in a mission depend upon the agent type, and the target type. Probability acts in a fraction like this: (1-((agent type(agent valor)/target type(target valor))*100))*100=percentage chance of success.
    So far, I believe that assassins would have an agent type of "1." Target types that are likely known are:
    emissary: 6
    princess: 2
    army general: 4/3

Valor is what is target valor for special agents, and command is what valor is for generals. Any equation that gives a greater-than-one-hundred-percent answer shows a 100% chance of success, obviously.
    Further testing is required.
    Any thoughts?

Maeda Toshiie (08/10/04 11:42:58) [Anti Cavalry Bonus]

Spear type bonus against cavalry: +1 atk, +4 def.
    Polearms type bonus against cavalry: +3 atk, +1 def.
    Pike type bonus against cavalry: +2 atk, +6 def.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporeRegistered Users Posts: 3,596
    edited June 2010
    Continuation of the original thread (2).

Motorhead (08/16/04 06:46:00) [MTW and VI hero list]

/ originally compiled by Nefarious /
    INTRODUCTION
    The heroes within Medieval: Total War add a certain flare and color to the period. Some are well known by most, while others are completely unknown to all. In their time, however, these men and women truly affected the course of history through their deeds and ideals.
    The contribution made by each is as varied as the factions in the game. There are robber barons, fearless glory-seekers, religious zealots, expert assault specialists, and bloody psychopaths, to name but a few. However, each trait can be used to your advantage within the game; especially if you know ‘who shows up when’. To this end, the following list has been compiled. The data used comes from the MTW files with VI loaded and patched to v2.01.

HEADINGS
    Name: The hero’s name, as listed in the MTW files. The spellings are taken from the files, so the Scot Hero ‘William Wallace’ is actually ‘William Walays’.

Year: The year in which the Hero is born. This is good to know, as you can anticipate the arrival of an outstanding Army Leader/General in 16 years. Just like a Prince or Princess, you must wait for Generals to mature. If a hero’s year is listed before 793 in VI or before 1087 in MTW, then you should expect to see them upon starting the game. Otherwise, they should appear as soon as you train them.
    Example: The French have Hugh de Cluny, an Inquisitor arriving in 1024. Since he appears before 1087, the first Inquisitor trained by France will be Hugh de Cluny.

Type: Tells you what they are. This could be a General, Emissary, Inquisitor, etc. Note that this column does not apply to Rebels or any VI factions. **** NOTE: All Rebels and VI faction Heroes are GENERALS. ****

Region: This column applies to REBELS ONLY. Rebels appear where listed, but specific faction heroes will appear anywhere within that faction.
    Example: If you train any Assassin as the English after 1190 anywhere in your kingdom, you will get Guy of Gisbourne as your next Assassin.

V&V:[ Note that some non-general units are listed as having V&Vs, but this feature was not implemented in the game - Motorhead ] The starting Vice or Virtue of the hero. A few have no starting V or V and have a blank space in this column. I must admit that this listing was the most difficult. The files from which this do***ent was compiled have listings such as ‘Bad Attacker2’ and ‘Zealot4’. It took quite some time to decipher and match these with the in-game descriptions. I’m about 98% sure that I have them right. If, however, a vice or virtue is slightly off during game play…give me a break. The listing will still give you a general idea of what type of hero you’re getting.

FOOTNOTES [ I didn't include the footnotes, but they can be found in MTW/campmap/names/ directory - Motorhead ]
    There are some historical ‘blurbs’ about the heroes within the .txt files. At the end of each faction, these have been added, numerically. Not much is known about some, while others are quite famous. There are no footnotes for the VI era heroes. These footnotes have been included to give you a slight glimpse into the hero’s real life. Perhaps someone is about to emerge in your faction that you could use as a good General. By the same token, perhaps the AI has some Inquisitor that bares careful watching. Use the information to your advantage.

=== MTW === HEROES ===
    **** NOTE: All Rebels and VI faction Heroes are GENERALS. ****
    The Rebel Heroes
    Name Year Region V & V
    1. El Cid 1054 Valencia Expert Attacker
    2. Mathilda de Boulogne 1102 Anjou Weak Sieger
    3. Ivan Asen 1150 Bulgaria Skilled Attacker
    4. Peter Asen 1151 Bulgaria Skilled Attacker
    5. Leon Sgouros 1180 Greece Autocrat
    6. Llewellyn ap Gruffydd 1190 Wales Skilled Attacker
    7. Robin of Locksley 1191 Mercia Frequent Mercy
    8. Fra Dolcino 1200 Milan Fanatic
    9. Simon de Montfort the Younger 1208 Mercia Hard Sums
    10. William Walays 1272 Scotland Brave Beyond Belief
    11. Stephan Urosh Dushan 1300 Serbia Secret Paranoia
    12. Black Agnes Dunbar 1310 Scotland Specialist Siege Defender
    13. Etienne Marcel 1316 Ile de France Numerate
    14. Philip van Artevelde 1340 Flanders
    15. Wat Tyler 1351 Wessex Bad Attacker
    16. Owain Glyndwr 1354 Wales Expert Defender
    17. Klaus Stortebeker 1375 Saxony Brigand and Thief
    18. Iskander Bey 1405 Croatia Scarred

The Almohad Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Ibn Mardanish 1147 General
    2. Yusuf-ben Yacub 1150 General Believer
    3. Muhammad ibn Yacub 1179 General Poor Attacker
    4. Ibn Said al Magrebi 1214 Emissary Highly Educated
    5. Ibn Al-Khatib 1305 Emissary Highly Educated

The Byzantine Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Theodosios Boradiotes 1130 Priest
    2. Alexius Branas 1150 General Skilled Attacker
    3. Georgius Acropolites 1203 Emissary
    4. John Beccus 1235 Bishop Believer
    5. Gregory Palamas 1296 Bishop Pious
    6. George Sphrantzes 1401 Emissary

The Danish Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Saxo Grammaticus 1140 Bishop Highly Educated
    2. Snorri Sturluson 1178 General Educated
    3. Ingrid Elovsdottir 1240 Inquisitor Pious
    4. Bo Jonsson Grip 1315 General Lawman

The Egyptian Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Al-Afdal Shahinshah 1055 General Utterly Fearless
    2. Najamuddin Ilghazi of Aleppo 1080 General Utterly Fearless
    3. Nur al-Din 1119 General Expert Attacker
    4. Asad al-Din Shirkoh 1149 General Great Warrior
    5. Sharaf ad-Din 1175 General
    6. Fakhr ad-Din 1219 General Skilled Attacker
    7. Ibn Taymiya al-Harrani 1263 Imam Zealot

The Turkish Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Hasan-e Sabbah 1060 General Skilled Attacker
    2. Imad al-Din Zengi 1100 General Man of Principle
    3. Qara Timurtash 1101 General Skilled Attacker
    4. Qutb al-Din Aibak 1150 General Devout
    5. Gazi Evrenos 1350 General

The Polish Hero
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Zbigniew Oleshnicki 1389 Bishop Believer

The English Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Odon de Bayeux 1036 Bishop
    2. Tancred de Normandie 1078 General Hard Sums
    3. Odo Borleng 1080 General Captured
    4. Strongbow FitzGilbert 1115 General Numerate
    5. Thomas Beckett 1118 Bishop Believer
    6. John Mercadier 1145 General Merciless
    7. William Marshall 1147 General Mighty Warrior
    8. Blondel de Nesle 1155 Emissary
    9. Simon de Montfort the Elder 1160 General Tough Justice
    10. Guy of Gisbourne 1190 Assassin Killer Instinct
    11. Roger Mortimer 1287 General Secret Blood Lover
    12. Hugh Calveley 1322 General Skilled Siege Defender
    13. John Hawkwood 1323 General
    14. Jean de Grailly 1330 General Skilled Attacker
    15. Robert Knollys 1331 General Skilled Attacker
    16. Geoffrey Chaucer 1340 Emissary Well Educated
    17. Thomas Camoys 1360 General Skilled Attacker
    18. Henry Percy 1364 General Mighty Warrior
    19. John Talbot 1387 General Skilled Risky Attacks
    20. Richard Neville 1418 General Famously Brave

The French Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Hugh of Cluny 1024 Inquisitor Zealot
    2. Baldwin of Boulogne 1058 General
    3. Godfrey of Bouillon 1060 General Famously Brave
    4. Bernard of Clairvaux 1090 Inquisitor True Zealot
    5. Hugh de Payns 1095 General Great Warrior
    6. William of Ypres 1100 General
    7. Gerard de Ridefort 1145 General Poor Attacker
    8. Chre’tien de Troyes 1150 Emissary
    9. Jean Cadoc 1175 General Hard Sums
    10. Jacques de Molay 1244 General Secret Heretic
    11. Geoffrey de Charny 1305 General Famous Warrior
    12. Bertrand de Guesclin 1320 General Captured
    13. Jean Froissart 1333 Bishop Well Educated
    14. Jean le Maingre Boucicault 1345 General Weak Attacker
    15. Bertrand de la Salle 1350 General Famously Brave
    16. Charles d’Albret 1370 General Great Warrior
    17. Arthur de Richmont 1375 General Weak Defender
    18. Jean Bureau 1400 General Specialist Sieger
    19. Jean de Bueil 1410 General Skilled Assaulter
    20. Joan of Arc 1412 General Truly Pious

The German Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Albrecht der Bar 1100 General
    2. Henry The Lion 1129 General Famously Brave
    3. Heinrich von Morugen 1150 Emissary Literate
    4. Hartmann von Aue 1155 General
    5. Herman von Salza 1160 General Secret Pride
    6. Walther von Vogelweide 1170 General Well Educated
    7. Wolfram von Eschenbach 1171 Emissary Well Educated
    8. Albertus Magnus 1200 Bishop Devout
    9. Conrad of Marburg 1201 Inquisitor Tough Justice
    10. John of Bohemia 1310 General Hideous Scars
    11. Winrich von Kniprode 1311 General Honorable Warrior
    12. Albert Sterz 1320 General Hard Sums
    13. Hannekin Bongarten 1330 General Hard Sums
    14. Werner von Urslingen 1331 General Butcher
    15. Jan Zizka 1360 General Impressive Scars

The Russian Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Domash Tverdislavich 1200 General
    2. Peter Petrovich 1258 Bishop Fervent
    3. Bartolomei Kirillovich 1314 Bishop Believer

The Italian Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Bohemond de Tankerville 1050 General Hard Sums
    2. Boniface of Montferrat 1160 General Skilled Assaulter
    3. Giovanni de Plano Carpini 1180 Emissary Educated
    4. Francesco Petrach 1180 Emissary Educated
    5. Francesco d’Assisi 1182 Inquisitor Truly Pious
    6. Ezzelino da Romano 1194 General Killer Instinct
    7. Marco Polo 1254 Emissary Educated
    8. Alighieri Dante’ 1265 Emissary
    9. Lodrisio Visconti 1280 General Famously Brave
    10. Catruccio Castracane 1282 General Secret Tyrant
    11. Hannekin Bongarten 1330 General Hard Sums
    12. Werner von Urslingen 1331 General Butcher
    13. Ambrogio Visconti 1334 General Hard Sums
    14. Alberigo da Barbiano 1340 General Expert Attacker
    15. Jacopo dal Verme’ 1350 General Famously Brave
    16. Braccio da Montone 1368 General Thinker
    17. Muzio Attendolo 1369 General Skilled Assaulter
    18. Francesco da Carmagnola 1380 General Skilled Defender
    19. Bartolomeo Colleoni 1400 General
    20. Francesco Sforza 1401 General

The Spanish Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Diego Gelmirez 1059 Cardinal
    2. Raimundo Diaz Bermejo 1125 Bishop Highly Educated
    3. Rodrigo Jimenez de Rada 1169 Bishop
    4. Domingo de Guzman 1170 Inquisitor Secret Blood Lover
    5. Gonzalo de Berceo 1180 Bishop
    6. Ramon de Bonifaz 1196 General Skilled Attacker
    7. Alfonso de Guzman 1260 General Expert Defender
    8. Juan Ruiz 1282 Emissary Well Educated
    9. Juan Manuel Infante 1283 General Possessor of Books
    10. Fernando Martinez 1340 Inquisitor
    11. Ruy Gonzalez de Clavijo 1350 Emissary
    12. Bl’varo de Luna 1400 General Vacillator
    13. Toma’s de Torquemada 1420 Inquisitor Blood Lover
    14. Pedro de Mendoza 1428 Emissary
    15. Jorge Manrique 1440 General Skilled Attacker
    16. Alonso de Espina 1441 Inquisitor Secret Blood Lover

The Sicilian Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Roger de Hauteville 1040 General Expert Attacker
    2. Roger de Flor 1208 General Numerate

The Aragonese Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Raimundo de Penafort 1180 Inquisitor Pious
    2. Raimundo Lulio 1235 Bishop Lover of Books
    3. Arnaldo de Vilanova 1238 Bishop
    4. Roger de Lauria 1250 General Skilled Assaulter
    5. Vincente Ferrer 1325 Inquisitor
    6. Enrique de Villena 1384 Emissary
    7. Ausias March 1397 General Skilled Attacker
    8. Pedro de Arbues 1435 Inquisitor

The Hungarian Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Ja’nos Hunyadi 1387 General Skilled Attacker
    2. Vlad Tepes 1430 General Butcher

The Papist Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Peter of Verona 1185 Inquisitor True Zealot
    2. Giles of Rome 1246 Bishop
    3. John de Monte Corvino 1247 Emissary
    4. Gil Alvarez Carillo 1310 General Believer
    5. Cola di Rienzo 1313 Emissary

The Burgundian Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. Jean de Montaigu 1345 General
    2. Jean de Vergy 1380 General Great Warrior

The Swiss Heroes
    Name Year Type V & V
    1. William Tell 1380 General Great Warrior
    2. Henry von Malters 1420 General Hard Sums

=== VI === HEROES ===
    **** NOTE: All Rebels and VI faction Heroes are GENERALS. ****
    The Rebel Heroes
    Name Year V & V
    1. Rudderch of Strathclyde 760 Great Leader
    2. Cynan of Srtathclyde 778 Argumentative
    3. Artgal of Strathclyde 796 Expert Attacker
    4. Run of Strathclyde 852 Quick Learner
    5. Eochaid of Strathclyde 858 Impressive Scars
    6. Llywarch ap Dyfed 864 Secret Murderer
    7. Donald MacAed 888 Vaccilator

The Irish Heroes
    Name Year V & V
    1. Flann Sinna 883 Honest
    2. Cormac MacCullenan 883 Devout
    3. Mahon 925 Eloquent
    4. Donovan 943 Educated
    5. Maelmaud 943 Loyal
    6. Mal Sechnaill 948 Secret Gambler
    7. Maelmora 974 Man of Abiding Belief
    8. Tadg O’Brian 992 Corrupt
    9. Donnchad O’Brian 992 Publicly Generous

The Mercian Heroes
    Name Year V & V
    1. Aethelmund 776 Great Warrior
    2. Oswulf 778 Scarred
    3. Eanbehrt 784 Mighty Warrior
    4. Eadwulf 788 Delegates Authority
    5. Swithnoth 794 Hard Sums
    6. Wistan 820 Pious
    7. Aeflheah 822 Charismatic
    8. Forthred 824 Philosophically Inclined
    9. Egbert 825 Clever Assistants
    10. Wulferd 846 Fervent
    11. Wulflaf 848 Secret Kleptocracy
    12. Eadric 858 Very Honest
    13. Cuthluf 863 Most Loyal
    14. Aethelwulf 864 Believer
    15. Wulfgar 868 Most Eloquent
    16. Aelfhere 980 Magnificent Steward
    17. Leofric 980 Great Trader
    18. Ealhhelm 894 Loyal

The Picts
    Note: There are no heroes listed for the Picts.

The Northumbrian Heroes
    Name Year V & V
    1. Egbert of Bernicia 879 Great Builder
    2. Eadwulf of Bernicia 880 Magnificent Builder
    3. Oswulf Eadulfing 934 Impressive Scars
    4. Uhtred Eadulfson 985 Mighty Warrior
    5. Eadulf Cudel 996 Kleptocracy
    6. Eadulf 1018 Blackmailer

The Scottish Heroes
    Name Year V & V
    1. Giric of Alba 858 Lawman
    2. Eoghain MacDonald 903 Merciful
    3. Dub MacMalcolm 924 Autocrat
    4. Donald MacEoghain 942 Skilled Attacker
    5. Malcolm MacDonald 955 Specialist Attacker
    6. Eoghain MacDonald 977 Family Favorites
    7. Duncan MacMalcolm 998 Art Lover

The Saxon Heroes
    Name Year V & V
    1. Wigferth 774 Well Educated
    2. Lulla 780 Charitable
    3. Eadgils 781 Loyal
    4. Wulfheard 804 Highly Educated
    5. Aetheric 810 Very Loyal
    6. Eanwulf 822 Very Honest
    7. Badanoth 825 Most Loyal
    8. Ealhhere 830 Great Warrior
    9. Ealdred 836 Very Charitable
    10. Aelfstan 839 Secret Adultery
    11. Osmund 840 Drinker
    12. Dryhtwald 842 Secret Envy
    13. Aethelwald 868 Avarice
    14. Edwin 890 Pride
    15. Wulfsige 914 Lazy
    16. Brihtric 935 Gluttony
    17. Wulfnoth of Sussex 962 Clever With Words
    18. Godwin of Wessex 987 Silver Tongued
    19. Tostig Godwinson 1026 Secret Envy

The Viking Heroes
    Name Year V & V
    1. Turgeis 819 Exclusive Trader
    2. Olaf the White 826 Tough Justice
    3. Hastein 839 Hard to Kill
    4. Nadd-Odd 840 Famously Brave
    5. Gardar 840 Great Warrior
    6. Floki 850 Killer Instinct
    7. Gunnbjorn 880 Mighty Warrior
    8. Erik the Red 962 Great Trader
    9. Bjarni Herjolfsson 966 Magnificent Trader
    10. Leif Ericsson 972 Magnificent Trader
    11. Olaf Tryggvason 974 Right Hand Man
    12. Thorfinn Karlsefni 975 Deep Thinker
    13. Olaf the Stout 989 Specialist Attacker
    14. Sigtrygg Silky Beard 992 Tyrant
    15. Magnus 1025 Most Eloquent

The Welsh Heroes
    Name Year V & V
    1. Idwal ap Anarwd 883 Man of Heartfelt Faith
    2. Hywel ap Cadell 889 Lawman
    3. Iago ap Idwal 908 Smuggler
    4. Ieuaf ap Idwal 915 Secret Smuggler
    5. Maredudd ap Owain 943 Legendary Leader
    6. Cadwallon ap Ieuaf 965 Delegates Authority
    7. Cynan ap Hywel 979 Charismatic
    8. Gruffydd ap Cynan 1055 Scholastic

==============================================

Once again, a load of thank to Nefarious for putting together the original list.

Motorhead (08/16/04 06:51:26) [Artillery Pieces]

Arty Crews
    unit-name/#-of-men/min-crew/ammo/range/can turn?
    ballista/8/2/40/10000/yes
    catapult/10/3/30/12000/yes
    trebuchet/20/6/25/12000/no
    mangonel/24/6/25/12000/no
    bombard/18/6/25/16000/no -- 3 safe shots, then 10% chance of explosion
    culverin/14/4/25/24000/yes
    demi-culverin/12/4/25/16000/yes
    siege-cannon/20/8/20/28000/no -- 10 safe shots, 3%
    demi-cannon/20/8/25/16000/yes -- 20 safe shots, 1%
    serpentine/12/4/40/16000/yes
    organ gun/8/4/5/3000/yes
    mortar/10/4/40/12000/no

All arty crews are Att: 0, Def: -2, Armor: 1, Morale: 2, normal speed

[yes, i "missed" mortars. i hate mortars :b ]
    edit: 8/25/04. added mortars, thanks to zukenft

Motorhead (08/26/04 17:30:38) [codes and command line switches]

From FBE's guide:
    /START

Cheat codes
    .worksundays. = fast build mode. Must have all your build queues empty for this to work.
    .badgerbunny. = all buildings and units are available. You can still only build the units relevant to your faction, even though you appear to have all types available.
    .deadringer. = gives 1 million florins
    .conan. = take control of the rebels
    .matteosartori. = reveal the whole map
    .******. = puts iron in all your provinces
    .mefoundsomeau. = puts gold in all your provinces
    .mefoundsomeag. = puts silver in all your provinces
    .mefoundsomecu. = puts copper in all your provinces
    .kidsmode. = makes the AI very easy
    .nuttermode. = makes the AI aggressive
    .unfreeze. = produces an heir for your faction. The heir will be born as you hit 'end turn'.
    /*** codes are entered on the main strategy map. Don't forget the periods before & after! - Motorhead ***/

command lines for MTW
    These are not exactly cheats; instead you add them to your MTW or VI shortcut. Right click on your shortcut, and then choose properties. In the target box you should see something like:
    F:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Medieval_TW.exe
    if you have plain MTW or
    F:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Medieval_TW.exe -strictserver
    if you have both MTW and VI. To add a shortcut you must leave one space after the mark, then enter the command line. To use multiple command lines just leave a space between each one and remember to include the - at the start of each successive line. Choose to save your changes and exit the properties box. Then start the game with the shortcut.

-ian - debug mode, runs in a smaller screen, you can move the camera about more in the battle maps to get close up views, you can disable the AI or switch factions using the number keys. The A key allows you to put the game on auto run.

-loyalty:X - sets the auto tax to maintain X loyalty where X is the number you want. Always use more than 100 at the very minimum unless you want a lot of rebellions. I recommend 120 for a reliable income and reasonably reliable loyalty or 180 to maintain very high loyalty and rarely see a rebellion.

-strictserver - a multiplayer related command that is on by default for all VI installations. Just leave it alone.

-green_generals - for VI only. When a general dies his replacement won't be identical to him in stats, vices and virtues. Instead the new man will be slightly weaker.

/END

And from a dev post:
    /START
    10-20-2003, 05:29
    eat cold steel
    CA Usergroup: 16

Time for one of my hidden-in-some-obscure-thread-secert-extra-command-line-switch-post me thinks. New to the VI patch:

-old_age:A where A is when the old age kicks in for generals, for kings, royal blood and hero add 10 years to that. It defaults to 40 which gives you some variation.

-death_msg:R where R is the rank of a general must be to get a general dies of old age parchment when you are displaying non-critical messages.

-critical_death_msg:R same as the one above, but it display a death message regardless of if the non-critical message check box is ticked or not. The default is death_msg:4, critical_death_msg:11. This gives the same behaviour as before the patch - you only death message when you want non-critical message and the general is rank 4+.

/END

Motorhead (09/08/04 08:31:13) [AI does "peek"]

GilJaysmith Code Panda
    HOF Award 2002
    Creative Assembly / Littlehampton
    Posted: May 06 2003,20:40

Quote (cugel @ May 07 2003,00:26)
    CA developers who have stated on more than 1 occasion in this forum that the AI doesn't "cheat".

Errrr... actually I think we have confessed to a small amount of this kind of cheating :) I had sincerely thought that we didn't do this, but ECS put me straight. It's much less cheaty than it was in Shogun, if that cheers you up, but the AI does still take a small peek at what you're going to do this coming turn. But *usually* this just makes it look like the AI is playing "sensibly", as you would in its s***s.

Of course, the golden rule of AI cheats is for it not to be caught, and there are some cheats which you don't notice, but something like this is quite hard to completely disguise.

It has to be said that most games cheat...

Nefarious (10/26/04 13:41:22) [Bridge Battles]

Greetings, all. A few people have asked me through PM's about bridge battles. It seems that a few battles came as a surprise; i.e. their army was not designed to assault/defend a bridge. I then did some research and came up with the following list.

Bridge Battles of
    Medieval Total War

Here is a listing of where bridge battles will occur. Please note that not every border is tit-for-tat. Attacking from Denmark into Saxony is a bridge battle, while attacking from Saxony into Denmark is not. Does it make sense? No, but that doesn't matter. Don't worry about it: It's just the way it is. With that being said, here are the two lists of borders with bridge battles.

1. The first list will be borders in which you'll find a bridge battle going BOTH WAYS:
    Cordoba/Valencia
    Aragon/Valencia
    Mercia/Wessex
    Ile de France/Burgundy
    Toulouse/Provence
    Saxony/Brandenburg
    Franconia/Bavaria
    Bohemia/Bavaria
    Silesia/Poland
    Carpathia/Poland
    Bulgaria/Wallachia
    Bulgaria/Moldavia
    Kiev/Crimea
    Kiev/Khazar
    Khazar/Chernigov
    Khazar/Ryazan
    Muscovy/Volga-Bulgaria

2. This list contains the ONE WAY bridge battles.
    ATTACKING FROM--INTO
    Toulouse
    Burgundy
    Anjou
    Burgundy
    Flanders
    Normandy
    Flanders
    Ile de France
    Friesland
    Lorraine
    Lorraine
    Franconia
    Denmark
    Saxony
    Pomerania
    Brandenburg
    Austria
    Hungary
    Serbia
    Hungary
    Lithuania
    Kiev
    Chernigov
    Kiev

Knowing if a battle will contain bridges or not can aid in your assault/defense plans. This list should help you design that perfect army. If you can only be attacked across a particular border, for example, it's good to know that a few spear/archer combos can guard that border province; freeing up a stack to campaign elsewhere.

Hope this helps.
    Nef

Motorhead (11/05/04 23:23:22) [armor piercing - dev comments]

Noticed a question about AP and realized I hadn't posted a dev comment on it.
    /START
    longjohn2
    Programmer
    UK Posted: Sep. 18 2002,19:49
    Puzz is correct, theoretically units should get a bonus of +1 against units of foot of 4 armour, and against horse units of 5 armour. Sadly I found a bug today, so that you will only start getting bonuses against foot units of 5 armour. For calculating armour piercing bonuses, shields don't count, but horse armour does (as it isn't counted separately ). I've changed this for the patch, so that bonuses will start against foot with 3 armour ( chainmail ) or cavalry with 4 armour ( some of cavalry's armour factor is due to the horse which is soft and squishy).

I reduced the effectiveness of the armour piercing bonus late in the project, as I noticed that all the units Activision complained about as being too powerful had axes or halbards, but in retrospect that was a bad move.

Armour piercing works differently with missiles. Each missile type has an armour penetration rating. The target's armour is multiplied by this, before deciding whether a kill is scored. The factor for bows is 1, and for longbows it's 0.5, so when hit by a longbow, units count half as much armour as they actually have ( can't remember if this includes shields too ). These stats will be in separate file in the patch.
    /END

So, the AP forumula is (armor - 1)/2 for foot, and (armor - 2)/2 for horse. And, shields don't count when making this calculation.

note: the patch he's referring to is the 1.1 patch for MTW

Maeda Toshiie (11/14/04 14:43:16) [Region bonuses (including those "hidden" ones)]

Highland Clansman
    Scotland
    Genoese Sailors
    Genoa
    Trebizond Archers
    Trebizond
    Bulgarian Brigands
    Bulgaria
    Janissary Bows
    Georgia
    Nizari
    Syria
    Turcoman Foot
    Anatolia
    Longbows
    Wales
    Turcopoles
    Antioch
    Berber Camels
    Morocco, Algeria
    Mamluk HA
    Sinai
    Turcoman Horse
    Tripoli
    Hospitaller Foot
    Rhodes
    Urban Militia
    Tuscany
    JHI
    Bulgaria
    Billmen
    Mercia
    All viking units
    Norway
    Ottoman Inf
    Rum
    Chiv Foot
    Ile-de-France
    Gothic Knights
    Saxony
    AUM
    Granada
    Gallowglass
    Ireland
    Peasants
    Provence
    Pikemen
    Tyrolia
    Swiss Pikemen
    Switzerland
    Saharan Cav
    Cyrenacia
    Mamluk Cav
    Egypt
    AHC
    Armenia
    Ghulam Cav
    Lesser Armenia
    Pronoiai Allagion
    Nicaea
    Kataphraktoi
    Constantinople
    Ottoman Sipahi
    Edessa, Rum
    Knights Hospitaller
    Malta
    Knights Santiago
    Leon
    Knights Templar
    Jerusalem
    Teutonic Knights
    Prussia
    Chiv Knights
    Toulouse
    Gothic Foot
    Brandenburg
    Sipahi of the Porte
    Tripoli
    Woodsmen
    Lithuania
    Dhow
    Tunisia
    Longboat
    Denmark
    Galley
    Venice
    Caravel
    Portugal
    Cog
    Wessex
    Gun Gallery
    Aragon
    Assassin
    Syria (+2)
    Inquisitor
    Castile
    Grand Inquisitor
    Castile

1. Note that some of these are "hidden" bonuses, ie cannot be seen on the strategic map. Most notable are for JHI in Bulgaria and Assassins in Syria.

NOTE1: For the post above, the bonuses are for MTW VI 2.01. So, the bonus may NOT appear in MTW 1.1 (From Motorhead: the valour for assassins trained in Syria does not appear in MTW 1.1)

NOTE2: When I mean it cannot be seen on the strategic map, I mean that the bonus is not mentioned. If the bonus is granted, it will appear on the unit when it is produced.

zukenft (01/22/05 13:19:06)

In campaign map, you'll see that a unit's stats are written in descriptions, not numbers, like in battle map. This is the conversion table for it.
    (note: the unit descriptions are BEFORE the unit gets any bonuses from valour, general and buildings.)

---
    above 5
    Charge : Irresistible
    ATK/DEF : Excellent
    Armour : Very Heavily Armoured
    Morale : Excellent
    ---
    4 to 5
    Charge : Very Strong
    ATK/DEF : Very Good
    Armour : Heavily Armoured
    Morale : Good (same as below)
    ---
    3 to 4
    Charge : Strong
    ATK/DEF : Good
    Armour : Armoured
    Morale : Good
    ---
    1 to 2
    (won't be written in unit descriptions)
    ---
    -1 to 1
    (Charge won't be written)
    ATK/DEF : weak
    Armour : vulnerable to missiles
    Morale : poor
    ---
    below -1
    (charge won't be written)
    ATK/DEF : very weak
    Armour/morale : same as above
    ---

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited June 2010
    Continuation of the original thread (3).

Paul02721 (05/11/05 20:41:34) [Mine and farm payoffs in years]

One of the main things you have to remember when figuring payback is that you MUST include the years it takes to actually build the farms/mine (NOTE: you do not get the income from them the year they finish building. You start getting income the following year. I double-checked this in the game). Therefore if you have a province that has 1000 florins (base) from farming (on highest taxes) and you decide to build 20% farms (which will give a return of 200 florins) then it will take 2 years for the farms to be built plus 3 years @ 200 per year of additional income for a total of 5 years to payback your 600 florin investment.
    All of my calculations are based upon Very High taxes.

I did a spreadsheet in Excel to figure out which should be built and in what order.

Here are the actual payoff time in years for farms going by 100s of florins with 20, 40, 60 and 80% farm upgrades. All years have been rounded UP because even if it is 11.1 years for payoff it still won’t be paid off until the 12th year.

Base xxxxxxxx 20% xxxxxxx 40% xxxxxxx 60% xxxxxxxx 80%

100 xxxxxxxxx 32 xxxxxxxxx 54 xxxxxxxxx 81 xxxxxxxxx 133
    200 xxxxxxxxx 17 xxxxxxxxx 29 xxxxxxxxx 44 xxxxxxxxx 71
    300 xxxxxxxxx 12 xxxxxxxxx 21 xxxxxxxxx 31 xxxxxxxxx 50
    400 xxxxxxxxx 10 xxxxxxxxx 17 xxxxxxxxx 25 xxxxxxxxx 40
    500 xxxxxxxxxx 8 xxxxxxxxx 14 xxxxxxxxx 21 xxxxxxxxx 33
    600 xxxxxxxxxx 7 xxxxxxxxx 13 xxxxxxxxx 19 xxxxxxxxx 29
    700 xxxxxxxxxx 7 xxxxxxxxx 12 xxxxxxxxx 17 xxxxxxxxx 26
    800 xxxxxxxxxx 6 xxxxxxxxx 11 xxxxxxxxx 16 xxxxxxxxx 24
    900 xxxxxxxxxx 6 xxxxxxxxx 10 xxxxxxxxx 15 xxxxxxxxx 22
    1000 xxxxxxxxx 5 xxxxxxxxxx 9 xxxxxxxxx 14 xxxxxxxxx 21

If you are playing GA goals and you want the most income you can from farming when the game ends then you could build every province up to 80% though 133 years to pay off on a farm is way too long if you are playing Domination.

Mines are standard. Payback for a mine is 12 years and mine complexes are 22 years.

If a province is making less than 300 florins then build the mines before upgrading to 20%.
    If a province is making exactly 300 then you have your choice between mines or farms being as the payoff date is the same.
    If it is making more than 300 florins then do the 20% upgrade first.

For 40% farms the magic florin number is base 630 or since there will be already a 20% farm on it the number you are looking for is 756.

For 60% farms the magic florin number is base 1260 or since there will be already a 40% farm on it the number you are looking for is 1764.

For 80% farms the magic florin number is larger than any province can produce. (it’s actually 3130 florins base/5008 upgraded LOL)

Comparing mine complexes and farm upgrades the numbers are:
    For 20% farms if the output is less than 150 florins build complex 1st, 150 or more then build the 20% farms.
    For 40% farms it’s 280 base/336 after 20% upgrade.
    For 60% farms it’s 470 base/658 after 40% upgrade.
    For 80% farms it’s 900 base/1440 after 60% upgrade.

By the way, if anyone wants a copy of my spreadsheet I’ll send it to them.

Paul

I think I have the spreadsheet around somewhere.

Arodi (06/28/05 16:56:20) [Armour in the desert, tiring and recovery]

I found my earlier list of armour ratings to be incorrect, after long testing. I've observed the following findings concerning armour ratings in the desert:

Cav with an armour rating of 5 and 6 tire considerably faster than 3 and 4. When marching across the desert at normal speed, cav can keep marching across the desert without reaching full exhaustion at 3. 4 And up will ultimately exhaust themselves entirely, just by marching. These values all seem disrespective of shield bonus and whether they are fast or not. Therefore it can be concluded that cav with an armour rating of maximum 3 will perform best in the desert. Anything higher than that will completely tire out, with conditions being worst starting at armour 5 while 4 remains *reasonable*.

Also infantry behave equally, regardless of shields and speed. However, infantry will exhaust itself sooner, with armour ratings starting with 3 and above, exhausting themselves entirely when just marching across the desert at normal speed. Armour levels of 2 and below will not reach full exhaustion regardless of the distance they march. At 2 armour they will recover to 2 energy, while at 3 armour they will recover to 1 energy. Armour 4 and up will not recover at all. Therefore it can be concluded that infantry with a maximum armour 2 will perform best, with 3 remaining reasonable and 4 and up suffering the worst conditions.

You'll find that these findings correspond nicely with default armour ratings for standard muslim units.

Maeda Toshiie (07/16/05 03:24:56) [Rebelliousness of provinces]

i cant remember where I found this. Either FBE or Nef or MH or some other MTW guru.

The rebellious provinces:

Rebellious degree 0-4

4/4 Portugal, Livonia

3/4 Lithuania

2/4 Prussia, Scotland

1/4 Ireland, Khazar, Pomerania, Serbia

0/4 All other

NOTE: Mablung of the Heavyhand says that the above information can be found in Frost One's guide.

Arodi (07/19/05 12:07:26) [Acronyms]

FMAA: Feudal Men At Arms
    CMAA: Chivalric Men At Arms
    JHI: Janissary Heavy Inf
    JI: Janissary Inf
    JA: Janissary Archers
    AUM: Almohad Urban Militia
    SHC: Steppe Heavy Cavalry
    BB: Bulgarian Brigands
    ****: Feudal Knigths
    FFK: Feudal Foot Knights
    CK: Chivalric Knights
    CFK: Chivalric Foot Knights
    CS: Chivalric Sgts
    FS: Feudal Sgts
    MS: Militia Sgt
    HA = Horse archer
    pavs= pavise arbalesters
    arbs= arbalesters
    HG= Hand Gunners
    arqs= arquebusiers
    ILI= Italian Light Infantry
    HC= Heavy Cav
    GK= gothic knights
    GFK= Gothic Foot Knights
    SP= Swiss Pikemen
    SH= Swiss Halbs
    UM= Urban Militia
    Halbs= halbardiers
    LB= longbows
    hobies= hobilars
    RK= royal knights
    MHC= Mongol Heavy Cav
    MHA= Mongol Horse Archers
    AHC= Armenian Heavy Cav
    BC= Berber Camels
    SI= Saracen Infantry
    P.or.n.o cav: Pronoiai Allagion (It's a joke in the community)
    SAP = swiss armoured pikes

Almos = almohads
    HRE = holy roman empire
    Eggies= Egyptians
    Byzzies= Byzantines
    GH= Golden Horde

AP= Armour piercing

V&V= Vices and Virtues
    VI = Viking Invasion
    XL= mod
    BKB= another mod

Puzz3D (08/02/05 19:02:11)

"Each man has an attack value and defend value used in calculating the chance to kill his opponent on each "strike" in a combat cycle. Each man who is fighting gets one "strike" within a combat cycle. Men can be double teamed in a combat cycle and will then have to parry twice, but they still only get to stike at one of the two opponents."

This gives the impression that a man can't be attacked more then twice within a single combat cycle, and that's what I thought at the time I made that statement. Later Longjohn posted that a man can be attacked by as many men as can fit around him. So, men may have to parry multiple times, but they still only get to strike at one of their opponents.

Also, in case it isn't clear by looking at the formula chance to kill = 1.9% * 1.2 ^ df, each +1 or -1 combat point changes a man's chance to kill by 20%. Since the combat points are an exponential of 1.2, it only requires +4 points to increase chance to kill by a factor of 2. When you see a man striking at the flank of another man he get a +5 attack point bonus, and that improves his chance to kill that man by 1.2 ^ 5 = 2.5.

TorangaSama (09/25/05 15:38:42) [High Valour Spies, are you sure?]
    The biggest news is loyalty is only affected by the highest valour spy in a province. Additional spies have no effect on loyalty whatsoever. So seven 1-valor spies have the same loyalty effect as one 1-valor spy, not a 7-valor spy.

Hello,

Can you *do.c.u.m.ent* the above?

There is nothing in either the MTW or VI manuals to substantiate the claim.

Is this info in the Text file comments?

mablung of the heavy hand (09/26/05 07:59:32)

It is the result of testing. You take a province one turn, read loyalty and place spy in and measure the next turn. This is done lots of time as to avoid skewed results.

We also know the effect of a spy is a 40% drop with 0 valour, with every point increase this rises 20%. If you drop a whole load of 0 valour spies on a province, you would see an almost instant rebellion, not so anymore.

IIRC it was also stated by a Dev in a patch readme or comment.

RabTheRab (10/27/05 15:16:02)

I didn't see this in here. It's not really numbers oriented, but it is usefull information irrespective of how numerically oriented it is.

Cut from Frostbeastegg's MTW Quide:

What do my cavalry units dismount into?
    Alan Mercenary Cavalry -> Archers
    Steppe Cavalry -> Spearmen
    Turcopole -> Archers
    Berber Camel -> Desert Archers (yes)
    Mamluk Horse Archers -> Desert Archers
    Turcoman Horse -> Turcoman Foot
    Horse Archers -> Archers
    Golden Horde Horse Archers -> Golden Horde Warriors (yes)
    Byzantine Cavalry -> Trebizond Archers
    Golden Horde Heavy Cavalry -> Golden Horde Warriors (yes)
    Gothic Knights -> Gothic Foot Knights (yes)
    Saharan Cavalry -> Murabitin Infantry
    Mamluk Cavalry -> Saracen Infantry
    Armenian Heavy Cavalry -> Feudal Sergeants
    Bedouin Camel Warriors -> Muslim Peasants (yes)
    Hobilars -> Feudal Sergeants
    Ghulam Cavalry -> Saracen Infantry
    Khwarazmian Cavalry Saracen Infantry
    Pronoiai Allagion -> Byzantine Infantry
    Kataphraktoi -> Byzantine Infantry
    Ottoman Sipahi -> Turcoman Foot
    Feudal Knights -> Feudal Foot Knights
    Teutonic Sergeants -> Order Foot Soldiers
    Knights Hospitaller -> Hospitaller Foot Knights (yes)
    Knights Santiago -> Chivalric Foot Knights (yes)
    Knights Templar -> Chivalric Foot Knights (yes)
    Teutonic Knights -> Chivalric Foot Knights (yes)
    Lancers -> Chivalric Foot Knights
    Chivalric Knights -> Chivalric Foot Knights (yes)
    Gendarmes -> Chivalric Man-at-Arms (yes)
    Early Royal Knights ->Feudal Foot Knights
    High Royal Knights -> Chivalric Foot Knights (yes)
    Late Royal Knights -> Chivalric Foot Knights (yes)
    Early Royal Ghulam Knights -> Saracen Infantry
    High Royal Ghulam Knights -> Saracen Infantry
    Late Royal Ghulam Knights -> Saracen Infantry
    Spanish Jinetes -> Feudal Sergeants
    Sipahi of the Porte -> Janissary Infantry
    Boyar -> Feudal Man-at-Arms
    Lithuanian Cavalry -> Archers (yes)
    Polish Retainer -> Feudal Sergeants
    Mounted Crossbows -> Crossbows
    Mounted Sergeants -> Feudal Sergeants
    Avar Nobles -> Armoured Spearmen
    Byzantine Lancers -> Armoured Spearmen
    Druzhina Cavalry -> Feudal Foot Knights (yes)
    Faris -> Dismounted Faris
    Khazar Royal Cavalry -> Armoured Spearmen
    Medium Cavalry -> Round Shield Spearmen
    Pictish Cavalry -> Celtic Warriors
    Dark Age Royal Knights -> Early Royal Foot Knights
    Dark Age Knights -> Early Foot Knights
    Steppe Heavy Cavalry -> Armoured Spearmen
    Szekely -> Slav Warriors
    Viking Raider Cavalry -> Viking Carls (yes)

The units that can dismount in any battle have been marked with a "(yes)." If there is no "(yes)," then the units may only dismount in castle assaults. NB: This list is courtesy of RabTheRab.

MT *edit*
    Missed out the word "Peasants" for Bedouin Camel Warriors.

MT *edit2*
    Nice post count there. In fact, that is a lucky number for the Chinese.

RTR *edit*
    Thanks for the adjustments, and I will be lucky if I visit China, so -- to be colloquial -- it's all good.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited June 2010
    Continuation of the original thread (4)

GreyFox (01/15/06 16:07:24) [Part 1 of the original post]

The complete MTW/VI Vices and Virtues list, found by myself and made readable and printer-friendly by Specialist290:

Great Warrior
    He has a natural talent for personal combat, making him less likely to die in battle. +5 health.

Mighty Warrior
    His reputation for skill at arms is spreading as his fighting skills improve. +10 health, +2 valour.

Famous Warrior
    He is famous for his skill on the battlefield and few can hope to match him in single combat. +20 health, +3 valour.

Natural Leader
    He leads his men from the front, gaining much respect and inspiring his men to greater efforts. +2 morale, +1 loyalty.

Fine Leader
    He leads from the front, taking risks but gaining much respect and inspiring his men by example. +4 morale, +2 loyalty.

Great Leader
    He leads from the front with great courage, and all who follow him love him for it and are inspired to great deeds. +6 morale, +3 loyalty.

Legendary Leader
    He leads from the front magnificently, inspiring awe in his troops and pride in his people. +6 morale, +3 loyalty, +10 happiness.

Killer Instinct
    He has a talent for killing, making him quite effective on the battlefield, and discomfitting those who stand against him.

Natural Born Killer
    He is so adept at killing in hand to hand combat that few can match him, and those that are wise fear him.

Secret Killer
    He enjoys killing too much. He deliberately kills in practice tourneys, and tortures and kills any who offend him. So far he has managed to keep this vice secret.

Murderer
    His habit of torturing and killing has become public knowledge. He is feared and hated because of it.

Scarred
    He has been in the thick of things in battle and has some ugly scars as result, making him look quite intimidating. +1 dread.

Impressive Scars
    His habit of putting himself in harm's way has given him some gruesome scars, and one or two war wounds that trouble him from time to time. -5 health, +2 dread.

Hideous Scars
    His hideous scars make him terrible to behold, and have given him a matching temperament. He also is almost crippled by several old wounds, making combat difficult. -5 health, +3 dread, -3 valour.

Not So Bold
    His reluctance to get directly involved in hand to hand combat has not gone unnoticed, and undermines the morale of his men. This reputation, however undeserved, is difficult to shake. -2 morale.

Timorous
    He has fought many battles but seldom gets into combat himself. His men joke about this, but it also lurks in their minds as they are placed in harm's way. -4 morale, -1 valour.

Cowardly
    His deliberate avoidance of combat in the past has become a source of ridicule. No efforts on his part are likely to change this now. His men are reluctant to risk their lives when he will not. -6 morale, -2 valour.

Good Runner
    He is remembered for the way he ran from the battlefield on more than one occasion. Perhaps he had no choice, but whispers among his men say otherwise. -3 morale.

Doubtful Courage
    There are serious doubts about his courage in the face of the enemy. Reports of him screaming like a girl as he departed the field are not too exaggerated. His men are not inspired. -6 morale.

Coward
    He is considered by all to be a coward in battle, and men who serve him on the battlefield are just waiting for him to turn and run. It makes it hard for him to keep his army on the field. -9 morale.

Captured
    He did not enjoy the process of being captured and ransomed, and instills a fear of being captured in all his men. This makes them less likely to rout, but makes them harder to command. +3 morale, -1 command.

Tortured
    Having been captured and tortured, he is obsessed with avoiding capture. This makes his army harder to break, but seriously affects his judgement on the battlefield. +6 morale, -2 command.

Traumatised
    His experiences as a prisoner have left this man traumatised. He will kill anyone who even considers surrender, and he avoids danger in battle. Paradoxically this makes his capture more likely. +9 morale, -3 command.

Nervous
    He is constantly worried about being assassinated, causing sleepless nights and troubled days. It is not good for his health. - 5 health.

Very Nervous
    His fear of assassins is so great he does not eat well, sleeps little, and rarely goes out in public. This does give him plenty of time for administrative duties. -5 health, +1 a***en.

Recluse
    His deep and constant fear of assassins has made him a recluse. He eats and sleeps little, and is rarely seen in public. The lack of exercise is affecting his combat ability. -5 health, +2 a***en, -1 valour.

Secret Paranoia
    His efforts to test his own defences against potential assassins have caused the deaths of several food tasters and one or two guests. Fortunately he has managed to keep this quiet so far. -5 health, +2 a***en, -1 valour.

Paranoid
    After poisoning several guests including a holy man, he is now infamous as a scheming poisoner with little faith. In fact he is just paranoid about being poisoned himself. -5 health -4 piety +2 dread.

Survivor
    Having survived an assassination attempt by killing the assassin with a cooking spit, he is very keen to practice combat with a wide variety of weapons and kitchen implements, to the detriment of his other duties. +1 valour -1 a***en.

Strong Security
    Repeated assassination attempts have led him to make personal security a high priority, with extra guards, constant training and incessant drills. It leaves little time for administration. +2 valour -2 a***en.

High Security
    He spends much of his time devising ingenious new security measures to defend against assassins. He has made himself a master of self defence. +3 valour -3 a***en.

Secretly Paranoid and Security Conscious
    His efforts to defend against potential assassins go to insane lengths - an important guest was killed by a pit trap while looking for the privy (he has not yet been missed). +3 valour -3 a***en

Paranoid Security
    The accidental death of a famous entertainer who was his guest has caused a public outcry. Claims that he fell down a spiked pit are not widely believed. +3 valour, -20 happiness, -3 a***en

Su****ious
    After surviving an assassination attempt he is su****ious of all around him, and his justice is swifter and harsher than most. +1 dread

Rough Justice
    After surviving more than one assassination attempt his deeply su****ious nature often manifests as harsh and summary justice. +2 dread

Secret Murderer
    His irrational fear of assassins has lead him to torture and execute a completely innocent visiting nobleman. Fortunately he has a signed confession of the man's misdeeds. +2 dread

Murderer
    The confession of a visiting nobleman recently tortured and killed has been proved to be false, after the man's son successfully underwent a gruelling ordeal. +3 dread, -3 piety

Secret Murderer
    His paranoid fantasies about lurking assassins have caused him to torture and execute many men, including one nobleman, for little or no discernable cause. +3 dread -3 piety

Mass Murderer
    It has become widely known that he believes all men with bald heads and brown beards to be assassins, and has tortured and executed many men of that appearance, possibly unjustly. +4 dread -5 piety

Devout
    After a recent interview with the Inquisition he has taken to spending long hours in prayer, and is vociferous in his support for the Church. -2 dread, +2 piety

God Fearing
    He has attracted much interest from the Inquisition, despite spending most of his time praying and much of the rest engaged in good works. -4 dread, +4 piety

Born Again
    {"He has repented his sins and claims to be washed in the blood of the Lamb of God. He has taken a vow of personal poverty and donated his wealth to the Church. The Inquisition will find him hard to fault now. -6 dread, +6 piety

Resilient
    His constitution is robust and his vigilance constant making him a difficult man to assassinate. +2 valour vs assassins.

Hard to Kill
    His constitution is strong and his vigilance relentless, making him a very difficult man to assassinate. +4 valour vs assassins.

Invulnerable
    He regularly takes small doses of poison, building up considerable resistance, and his security measures are second to none. This makes him almost impossible to assassinate. +6 valour vs assassins.

Informants
    He has built up a local group of informants giving him some warning of plots against him. +2 valour vs spies.

Informant Network
    His network of informants stretches far and wide, often giving advanced warning of plots against him. +4 valour vs spies, -1 loyalty.

Spy Network
    He has placed his agents in positions of power, giving him advanced warning of plots against him, even if they are sponsored by the state. +4 valour vs spies, -2 loyalty.

Spy Network
    Despite the obvious disapproval this causes, he still maintains a comprehensive spy network which occasionally gets out of hand . +4 valour vs spies, -3 loyalty.

Secret Assassinator
    His spy network includes assassins ready and able to pre-empt any plots against him. He has quietly removed a number of officials and local worthies. +6 valour vs spies, -4 loyalty, -20 happiness.

Assassinator
    His network of assassins has been penetrated and exposed. The families of his victims clamour for vengeance. He is not a popular man. +2 valour vs spies, -5 loyalty, -40 happiness.

Skilled Attacker
    He is particularly skilled in directing attacks in the field. +1 Command when attacking.

Expert Attacker
    He is an expert in the art of attacking defensive positions. +2 Command when attacking.

Specialist Attacker
    He specialises in conducting attacks against defensive positions. +3 Command when attacking.

Skilled Defender
    He has a talent for selecting strong defensive positions and exploiting them well. +1 Command when defending.

Expert Defender
    He is an expert in defence, well known for his ability to exploit terrain, lay ambushes, and force attackers in to unwise decisions. +2 Command when defending.

Field Defence Specialist
    He specialises in defending in the field. +3 Command when defending.

Skilled Sieger
    He is skilled in the art of taking castles by siege without resorting to an assault. -1 year to siege duration.

Expert Sieger
    He is an expert in the art of sieging castles into submission without resorting to battle. -2 years to siege duration.

Specialist Sieger
    His reputation for relentlessly reducing castles by siege is so great than many castles bow to the inevitable and surrender after token resistance. -3 years to siege duration.

Skilled Siege Defender
    He is skilled in siege defence, organising supplies, maintaining morale, and harrying the enemy. +2 years to siege duration.

Expert Siege Defender
    He is an expert at organising men and supplies, penetrating enemy lines and maintaining a disciplined garrison. +3 years to siege duration.

Specialist Siege Defender
    He is a specialist in defending against a prolonged siege, bribing, deceiving and outsmarting his enemy to get supplies in. +4 years to siege duration.

Skilled Poor Odds Attacker
    He is skilled at attacking when outnumbered. +1 to Command in this situation.

Expert Poor Odds Attacker
    He is expert at attacking when outnumbered. +2 to Command in this situation.

Superb Poor Odds Attacker
    He is a specialist in attacking when outnumbered. +2 to Command in this situation.

Skilled Poor Odds Defender
    He is a specialist in defending when outnumbered more than 2 to 1. +1 to Command in this situation.

He is a specialist in defending when outnumbered more than 2 to 1. +2 to Command in this situation.

{"He is a specialist in defending when outnumbered more than 2 to 1. +3 to Command in this situation. "}

Weak Attacker
    He does not like taking risks, which make his attacks predictable. -1 Command when attacking.

Poor Attacker
    He hates taking risks, and is right to do so as when he does it does not often go well. -1 Command when attacking.

Bad Attacker
    When attacking, all reason seems to escape him. His enemies are often confused by his tactics, regularly talking of them during their victory celebrations. -3 to Command when attacking.

Weak Defender
    The rigid discipline and attention to detail required to effectively defend on the battlefield are not his strong points. -1 Command when defending.

Poor Defender
    He is impetuous and impatient, often throwing away the advantage and taking the battle to the enemy. -2 Command when defending.

Bad Defender
    He is incapable of sitting and waiting for the enemy to come to him. Attack is not always the best form of defence. -3 Command when defending.

Weak Sieger
    He lacks the discipline required to conduct a siege well. +1 year to siege length.

Poor Sieger
    He lacks the skills and discipline required to make sieges come to a swift conclusion. +2 years to siege length.

Bad Sieger
    He is not cut out for sitting around sieging castles. +3 years to siege length.

Weak Siege Defender
    He is not good at organising effective resistance to sieges. -1 year to siege duration.

Poor Siege Defender
    He is poor at organising effective resistance to sieges. -2 years to siege duration.

Bad Siege Defender
    He is very bad at organising effective resistance to sieges. -3 years to siege duration.

Poor Attacking Against the Odds
    He is not at his best when attacking numerically superior foes. -1 Command in this situation.

Bad Attacking Against the Odds
    He is particularly bad at attacking stronger foes. -2 Command in this situation.

Awful Attacking Against the Odds
    Attacking against the odds is always difficult, but he manages to make it a disaster almost every time. -3 Command in this situation.

Weak Defending Against the Odds
    He does not perform well when defending against a superior force. -1 Command in this situation.

Poor Defending Against the Odds
    He seems to always make mistakes when defending against a superior force. -2 Command in this situation.

Bad Defending Against the Odds
    He makes hideous errors when defending against a superior force. -3 Command in this situation.

Eager to Retreat
    He has a reputation for being very quick to decide retreat is the best strategy, perhaps because he is always put in difficult positions. -1 Loyalty, -2 Morale.

Retreats often
    He seems to always be retreating, perhaps because he's always given impossible positions to defend. -1 Loyalty, -4 Morale.

Retreats Very Often
    He retreats very regularly, perhaps because it's the only thing to do, but his men don't think so. -3 Loyalty, -6 Morale.

Hesitant
    He has been known to call off attacks at the last minute, perhaps because ordered to. His men do not like this habit. -1 Loyalty, -2 Morale.

Indecisive
    He often calls off attacks at the last minute, perhaps because of orders. His men hate this tendency. -2 Loyalty, -4 Morale.

Vacillator
    He often finds himself ordered to abort attacks at the last minute. He hates this, but his men hate it more. -3 Loyalty, -6 Morale.

Scant Mercy
    He has killed prisoners without hesitation when it looked like the battle might go against him. +1 Dread.

No Mercy
    He shows no mercy and has killed many prisoners, but is possibly too eager to do so, which deprives his men of their share of the ransom. +2 Dread, -1 Morale.

Merciless
    He has a reputation for killing prisoners even when there is no danger of losing the battle. His men hate this as a great deal of ransom money has been lost. +2 Dread, -2 Morale.

Secret Blood Lover
    He kills prisoners even when it is not necessary, which causes discontent amongst his men. He indulges his secret passion for blood, personally executing many captives. +3 Dread.

Blood Lover
    It has become known that he kills prisoners for his own pleasure, denying his men their share of any ransom money. +3 Dread, -3 Morale, -2 Piety.

Butcher
    He is famous for the massacre of thousands of prisoners in a single battle. Few can match the horror of this deed. +2 Dread.

Occasional Mercy
    He has shown mercy to captured rebels which has made him popular. +10 Happiness.

Frequent Mercy
    He is known for showing mercy to captured rebels. +20 Happiness, -1 Dread.

Merciful
    He is indeed merciful when dealing with captured rebels. +20 Happiness, -2 Dread.

Most Merciful
    He is famous for showing mercy to captured rebels. +20 Happiness, -3 Dread.

Swift Justice
    He has been known to execute every last rebel captured as an example to others. +1 Dread.

Secret Rough Justice
    When suppressing rebellions, he secretly includes otherwise innocent petty enemies in the list of those to be arrested and executed. +1 Dread.

Rough Justice
    When suppressing rebellions, he includes otherwise innocent victims of his own petty vendettas in the list of those to be executed. No one dares speak out against this practice. +2 Dread, -10 Happiness.

Tough Justice
    He is draconian in his measures when suppressing rebellions, executing everyone involved and many innocents around him. No one is safe. +3 Dread, -10 Happiness.

Secret Random Justice
    He has given up any pretence of justice when dealing with rebels, executing all those captured and randomly selecting other victims by rolling dice. So far no-one has noticed. +3 Dread, -20 Happiness.

Random Justice
    Everyone now knows there is no justice in his rule. His methods for selecting who is accused of treason and executed seem entirely random. The people hate him. +3 Dread, -50 Happiness.

Authoritarian
    He is quick to use his power to enforce his commands, and brooks no disobedience. +1 Dread.

Autocrat
    He is firmly in control, and takes measures to ensure his commands are obeyed without question or dissent. +2 Dread.

Secret Tyrant
    He values obedience and his own opinions above all else, and will not tolerate any dissenters, sometimes resorting to assassination to remove them. +2 Dread.

Tyrant
    He insists on complete obedience and has been known to have people who oppose him killed. Not a man to be argued with. +3 Dread -20 Happiness.

Despot
    He treats his advisors and opponents alike with brutal force. All who oppose him and many who he just doesn't like are arrested, imprisoned or assassinated. He is not popular. +4 Dread, -40 Happiness.

Man of Principle
    He is not easily tempted to betray his principles for money. But everyone has their price. +50% to cost of bribe.

Man of Honour
    He believes in loyalty and honour, and is very unlikely to accept any but the most outrageous of bribes. +100% to cost of bribe.

Unbribable
    He is that rarest of things, an honest man. He cannot be bribed for less than a king's ransom. +200% to cost of bribe.

Weak Principles
    He is not a man of strong principles and is easy to tempt. -20% to Bribery cost.

Moral Flexibility
    He believes loyalty is a relative concept. Relative to the amount of money being offered. -30% to Bribery cost.

No Principles
    He is entirely motivated by money, as his Grandmother's new owner will attest!
    -50% to Bribery cost.

Builder
    His extensive program of building has brought prosperity to the people. +10 Happiness in all provinces.

Great Builder
    His extensive program of building has brought prosperity to the people, and to the nobility. +10 Happiness in all provinces, +1 Loyalty to all generals.

Magnificent Builder
    His long and extensive program of building has caused a huge advance in the quality of life of the people and the prosperity of the nobility. +10 Happiness in all provinces, +2 Loyalty to all generals.

Builder
    His extensive program of building has brought prosperity to the people in his province. +10 Happiness.

Great Builder
    His extensive program of building has brought prosperity to the people, and also to himself. +10 Happiness, +1 Loyalty.

Magnificent Builder
    His long and extensive program of building has caused a huge advance in the quality of life of the people and to his own prosperity. +10 Happiness, +2 Loyalty.

Steward
    His extensive program of developing farmlands has brought prosperity to the ordinary people and his regular attention to farming matters has increased agricultural output across the realm. +10 Happiness in all provinces, +10% to all agricultural production.

Great Steward
    His extensive program of developing farmlands has brought prosperity to the ordinary people and his constant attention to farming matters has greatly increased agricultural output across the realm. +10 Happiness in all provinces, +20% to all agricultural production.

Magnificent Steward
    His extraordinary program of developing farmlands has brought prosperity to the countryside and his farming policies have vastly increased agricultural output across the realm. +10 Happiness in all provinces, +30% to all agricultural production.

Steward
    His program of developing local farmlands has brought prosperity to provinces and his regular attention to farming matters has increased agricultural output across the realm. +10 Happiness, +10% to agricultural production.

Great Steward
    His extensive program of developing local farmlands has brought prosperity to the ordinary people and his constant attention to farming matters has greatly increased local agricultural output. +10 Happiness, +20% to agricultural production.

Magnificent Steward
    His extraordinary program of developing local farmlands has brought prosperity to the local countryside and his agricultural policies have vastly increased the province's agricultural output. +10 Happiness, +30% to agricultural production.

Poor Steward
    He finds agricultural and estate management matters dull and pays them little attention. It is causing poverty in his estates. -10 Happiness, -10% agricultural output.

Bad Steward
    He neglects his duty to manage his estates well, causing poverty and discontent. -10 Happiness, -10% agricultural output.

Absentee Landlord
    He pays no attention whatsoever to his estates, leaving corrupt and incompetent lackeys to do his duty. It is causing widespread hunger and much discontent. -20 Happiness, -30% agricultural output.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited June 2010
    Continuation of the original thread (4)

GreyFox (01/15/06 16:07:24) [Part 2 of 2 of the original post]

Trader
    His policies have encouraged trade, bringing prosperity to the townsfolk and increasing trade income across the realm. +10 Happiness in all provinces, +10% to all trade income.

Great Trader
    His policies have greatly encouraged trade in all provinces, bringing prosperity to the townsfolk and increasing trade income across the realm. +10 Happiness in all provinces, +20% to all trade income.

Magnificent Trader
    His policies have created a trading boom, bringing wealth to many towns and greatly increasing trade income across the realm. +10 Happiness in all provinces, +30% to all trade income.

Trader
    His policies have encouraged local trade, bringing prosperity to the townsfolk and increasing trade income. +10 Happiness, +10% to trade income.

Great Trader
    His policies have greatly encouraged local trade in the province, bringing prosperity to the townsfolk and increasing trade income. +10 Happiness, +20% to trade income.

Magnificent Trader
    His policies have created a local trading boom, bringing wealth to the towns and greatly increasing trade income. +10 Happiness, +30% to trade income.

Secret Dubious Accounting
    He secretly misappropriates a small portion of local taxes for his own use. -10% agricultural output, -10% trade income.

Dubious Accounting
    It is widely known that he misappropriates a small portion of local taxes for his own use. -10% agricultural output, -10% trade income, -10 Happiness.

Secret Embezzler
    Given the opportunity he embezzles a significant portion of local taxes. The full extent of his activities is not widely known. -20% agricultural output, -20% trade Income, -10 Happiness.

Embezzler
    It is widely known that when governing he misappropriates a large portion of the funds under his control, to the detriment of the local economy. -20% agricultural output, -20% trade income, -20 Happiness.

Secret Kleptocracy
    When governing his whole administration is geared towards misappropriating as much cash as possible. It ruins the local economy. Everyone is aware of this, but no-one realises its full extent. -30% agricultural output, -30% trade income, -20 Happiness.

Kleptocracy
    When governing his whole administration is geared towards misappropriating as much cash as possible. It ruins the local economy. Everyone is aware of this. -30% agricultural output, -30% trade income, -30 Happiness.

Outlaw
    He abuses his position to rob and cheat honest traders and merchants, taking goods and money with menaces. He has so far managed to hide his involvement in this thievery. -10% agricultural output and -10% trade income.

Brigand and Thief
    His position is a hollow sham to protect the widespread thievery he controls and encourages. Little is safe from his thievery, and his subjects know it. -10% agricultural output, -10% trade income, and -20 Happiness.

'Informal' Merchant
    He sees nothing wrong with indulging in trade that does not pay the necessary duties and taxes, always assuming that he is enriched in the process! -10% agricultural output, -20% trade income.

Smuggler
    He has little regard for the need to formally control trade, preferring instead to fill his own purse with the taxes that would be paid by more honest merchants. -10% agricultural output, -20% trade income.

Connoisseur
    He enjoys life's little luxuries, and if these cost money, that's just too bad - regardless of whose money is actually being spent! -10% agricultural output, -10% trade income.

Pleasure Seeker
    Life's more expensive luxuries - the best of everything - are important to him, and if these are expensive, that's hardly his problem! -15% agricultural output, -15% trade income.

Voluptuary
    His existence is largely given over to the pursuit of his personal pleasures. There are few limits on the amount of money he will spend in this pursuit. -20% agricultural output, -20% trade income.

Utter Sybarite
    His quest for luxury, pleasure and sensual gratification drives his entire being. Only the very best, at whatever price, will do for his refined - or jaded - tastes. -25% agricultural output, -25% trade income.

Family Favourites
    While pretending that he chooses servants and aides by merit, he favours relatives on every possible occasion. Their poor abilities are less important to him than kinship. -20% agricultural output, -10% trade income.

Family Above All
    He shows loyalty to his family at all times. He gives them employment even when it is obvious that they are without talent and actually harmful. -20% agricultural output, -10% trade income.

Artistic Leanings
    While he recognizes that art is worthwhile, his tastes are not yet fully defined. He is confident when commissioning new works for his enjoyment. -5% agricultural output, -5% trade income.

Art Lover
    He believes that Great Art is worthy of support and encouragement wherever it is found. He has the confidence to spend money well, on the work of the very best artists. -10% agricultural output, -10% trade income.

Artistic Temperament
    While he would never publicly admit to it, his tastes in art are refined and precise. This interest is an expensive obsession. -20% agricultural output, -20% trade income.

Connoisseur of Art
    He has a finely developed taste in artwork, sculpture and architecture, and this helps encourage artists and artisans achieve truly great works. -20% agricultural output, -20% trade income.

Religious Leanings
    He has deep religious feelings that inform his every decision, regardless of whether or not the matter in hand is one of faith. -10% agricultural output, -10% trade income.

Man of Heartfelt Faith
    His religion is important to him, perhaps more important than any secular duty, and properly takes precedence over other matters. -10% agricultural output, -10% trade income.

Deep Religious Urges
    His religious leanings are central to his character, and his faith leads him to support (financially and practically) religious authorities at all times. -15% agricultural output, -15% trade income.

Man of Abiding Belief
    Faith in God is a central feature of his life, and this informs his every choice. All other matters are secondary to his proper desire to help and support religious authorities. -15% agricultural output, -15% trade income.

Religious Compulsions
    His Faith is the overwhelming centre of his life. He has a driven need to support his beliefs in financial and practical ways, no matter what the cost. -20% agricultural output, -20% trade income.

Man of Deep Devotion
    His deep faith in the rightness of religious authority has no boundaries. Quite rightly, it guides and moulds his every action, making him regard secular matters with proper disdain. -20% agricultural output, -20% trade income.

Publicly Generous
    He has the occasional desire to help his fellow man, always providing that his fellow man is worthy of the help! -5% agricultural output, -5% trade income.

Compulsively Charitable
    He has a deep need to do good works. Often this need overrides financial reality, and causes problems. -10% agricultural output, -10% trade income.

Generous To A Fault
    His generosity towards his fellow human beings has few bounds, and his natural nobility of spirit further encourages his charity. -10% agricultural output, -10% trade income.

Stupidly Charitable
    His need to do good works is a compulsion, and one that allows scant attention to fiscal reality! -20% agricultural output, -20% trade income.

Remarkably Generous
    His good works are legendary and his charitable nature makes him carry all such projects to a conclusion, regardless of petty matters like cost! -20% agricultural output, -20% trade income.

Philosophically Inclined
    He has an interest in matters of philosophy, and a desire to apply classical, rational ideas to all things. -5% agricultural output, -5% trade income.

Philosophical Bent
    His interests in philosophy go beyond the merely casual. He has studied, and now applies the fruits of his abstract thinking to his practical duties. -10% agricultural output, -10% trade income.

Deep Thinker
    His is a more than passing acquaintance with the works of classical scholars, making him a properly educated, if sometimes impractical man. -10% agricultural output, -10% trade income.

Head In The Clouds
    His abiding and excessive interest in classical scholarship leads him to neglect his day-to-day duties. -20% agricultural output, -20% trade income.

Natural Philosopher
    His understanding of classical scholarship and current philosophical discussions is superb. His learning is exceptional, if sometimes impractical to his less erudite contemporaries! -20% agricultural output, -20% trade income.

Exclusive Trader
    He has a desire to be the best, if not only with mercantile power where he holds authority. Others wishing to trade are discouraged by whatever means necessary.
    -20% trade income.

Dominant Trader
    He has a desire to be the sole trading power in his domain. No competitors can be allowed to flourish. -30% trade income.

Monopoly Trader
    His need to completely dominate and control all trade is absolute. As far as he is concerned, no one else can be allowed to succeed in a trading enterprise. -40% trade income.

Gambler
    He enjoys gambling, and will wager on the outcome of almost any chance event. For him, the money at stake is less important than the thrill. -10% agricultural output,
    -10% trade income.

Secret Gambler
    His gambling is getting out of hand, although so far he has managed to hide this from others. Few wagers are too trivial or stakes too large for him to resist. -15% agricultural output, -15% trade income.

Heavy Gambler
    Gambling is an obsession for this man. He enjoys staking large sums of money - from whatever source - in games of chance. Winning is an occasional pleasure for him. -15% agricultural output, -15% trade income.

Compulsive Gambler
    Although he manages to keep it quiet, his gambling is completely out of hand. Any money to which he has access will be rashly gambled away. -20% agricultural output, -20% trade income.

Degenerate Gambler
    He will wager on anything. Winning is secondary to the thrill of betting, although there is always the chance that this time he will win... -20% agricultural output, -20% trade income.

Administratively Greedy
    When he is involved in any activity, money usually changes hands and often ends up in his purse. -10% agricultural output, -10% trade income.

Corrupt
    He has a certain flexibility, and often accepts small bribes to speed up the carrying out of his duties. -10% agricultural output, -10% trade income.

Properly Greased Palms
    His attitude to his duties is simple: little will happen without the proper payments to grease the wheels of administration. -15% agricultural output, -15% trade income.

Foully Corrupt
    He sees corruption as a necessary evil, and forces himself to accept bribes when carrying out duties he should be doing anyway. He does little without an extra payment from somebody. -15% agricultural output, -15% trade income.

Venal
    He sees money, especially other people's money, as the essential lubricant in getting things done. Wealth rightly flows into his purse merely for carrying out his duties.
    -20% agricultural output, -20% trade income.

Utterly Corrupt
    He sees extra payments for doing his duties as his proper right and due for the responsibility he carries. He will do nothing without money going into his purse.
    -20% agricultural output, -20% trade income.

Fervent
    He applies religious doctrine to the way he lives his life and the way he governs. +1 piety, +10% zeal when governing.

Zealot

He follows religious doctrine to the letter, and encourages those under his control to do likewise. +20% zeal when governing.

True Zealot
    He follows religious doctrine to the letter, and uses his position to force others to do likewise. +30% zeal when governing.

Secret Fanatic
    He follows religious doctrine to the letter, and when governing secretly misuses his position to eliminate heretics. +30% zeal when governing.

Fanatic
    He follows religious doctrine to the letter, arresting and executing any he judges to be heretics. +40% zeal when governing, +1 dread.

Believer
    He is a true believer. +1 piety.

Devout
    He is a devout believer, and acts in accordance with his beliefs. +2 piety.

Pious
    He applies his strong religious principles to everything he does. +3 piety.

Truly Pious
    He applies his strong religious principles to everything he does, and surrounds himself with like-minded people. +4 piety.

Eloquent
    He has a gift for being able to talk himself out of any difficulty, making it hard to fault his religious views, and making him a persuasive administrator. +1 piety, +1 a***en.

Most Eloquent
    He has a gift for being able to talk himself out of any difficulty, making it almost impossible to fault his religious views, and making him a most persuasive administrator. +2 piety, +2 a***en.

Secret Blackmailer
    He has a habit of using blackmail against his political enemies. Only the victims are aware of this, and they're not talking.

Blackmailer
    He has been caught blackmailing a senior official, and fined a large sum. He is most unhappy about this and seeks revenge. -3 loyalty.

Secret Heretic
    He is a committed heretic, but has managed to conceal this so far.

Heretic
    It has become widely known that he is a heretic. -5 piety.

Secret Atheist
    He just does not believe. He has succeeded in hiding it so far, but his passion for rational debate puts him in danger.

Atheist
    He has been exposed as a non-believer in a world ruled by the devout and faithful. It will be hard for him to survive. -8 piety.

Honest
    He is basically an honest man. +1 loyalty.

Very Honest
    He is an honest man, and this makes him a popular leader. +1 loyalty, +1 morale.

Most Honest
    He values honesty above all else, making him a popular leader, but he has scruples when it comes to business matters. +2 loyalty, +1 morale, -1 a***en.

Loyal
    His natural instinct is to be loyal. +1 loyalty.

Very Loyal
    He is very loyal, putting duty before personal gain. +2 loyalty.

Most Loyal
    He values loyalty above all else, but can be violently intolerant of lack of loyalty in others. +3 loyalty, +1 dread.

Educated
    He has a good education, having a basic understanding of philosophy, theology, and the classics. +1 a***en.

Well Educated
    His good education makes him open-minded and adaptable. +1 a***en, +1 command.

Highly Educated
    His excellent education makes him a good administrator and a fine leader, but he questions things just a little too much. +1 a***en, +1 command, -1 piety.

Charitable
    He believes it is his duty to make some effort to help the poor. +10 Happiness.

Very Charitable
    He devotes some of his wealth to helping the poor. +10 Happiness, +1 piety.

Most Charitable
    He devotes a large portion of his wealth to good works, and encourages others to do similarly. +20 Happiness, +1 piety.

Drinker
    He enjoys drinking slightly more than is prudent. Most things can wait until he sobers up, but battles cannot... -1 command.

Often Drunk
    He drinks too much and is often incoherent with drink, thus neglecting his duties. -1 command, -1 a***en.

Always Drunk
    He drinks constantly and is very often drunk. Needless to say, this affects his ability to command. -2 command, -1 a***en.

Alcoholic
    He engages in epic bouts of drinking lasting days at a time, punctuated by deep depressions and sudden violence. -3 command, -2 a***en, +1 dread.

Severe Alcoholic
    He is a legendary drunk, and his retainers now perform the majority of his duties. -2 command, -2 a***en, -10 health.

Drinking himself to Death
    He is mostly bedridden, but occasionally his retainers strap him to a horse and lead him out. His retainers are fairly competent now at making decisions for him. -20 health.

Hedonist
    He devotes much of his time to good food and other pleasures of the flesh. He is a little overweight. -1 valour.

Sybarite
    He enjoys luxury. Good food, fine wine, and fairly outrageous displays of wealth take their toll on his fitness. -2 valour.

Secret Gluttony
    He secretly binges on luxury foods, spending vast fortunes on rare delicacies while his peasants starve. He is becoming vastly overweight, which seriously affects his combat ability. -3 valour.

Gluttony
    He binges on luxury foods, spending vast fortunes on rare delicacies and huge feasts, while his peasants starve. They resent this greatly. He is so overweight he can hardly mount his horse. -4 valour, -10 Happiness.

Materialist
    He is motivated by material wealth, spending much of his efforts on acquiring more of it. +1 a***en.

Greed
    His desire for wealth makes him an unpopular master, as he squeezes every last florin out of his lands. +1 a***en, -10 Happiness.

Secret Avarice
    In his endless quest for riches, he secretly engages in complex plots to divest his subordinates of some of their wealth. Some would call what he does fraud. +2 a***en, -10 Happiness.

Avarice
    His various dubious enterprises to make money at the expense of his subordinates have been exposed. +2 a***en, -40 Happiness.

Ambitious
    He seeks power and glory, and focuses much effort on political intrigue to achieve this. +1 dread, -1 loyalty.

Secret Envy
    He so passionately wants power and glory, he cannot stand to see others enjoying it. He secretly engages spies and assassins to plot against them. +1 dread, -2 loyalty.

Envy
    He so passionately wants power and glory, he cannot stand to see others enjoying it. He has been caught engaging spies and assassins to plot against them. +2 dread, -3 loyalty.

Secret Perversion
    His preference is for young boys rather than young women. He has managed to keep this a secret so far.

Perversion
    His preference for young boys rather than young women has been exposed. -4 piety.

Secret Adultery
    He has been having an adulterous affair with another noble's wife. They have been fortunate to keep this secret so far.

Adultery
    Rumours have spread about his adulterous affair with another noble's wife. -2 piety.

Secret Pride
    He cannot admit being wrong, and has killed members of his staff who had the talent to prove him wrong. This trait does, however, give him great confidence in personal combat. -1 command, +3 valour.

Pride
    His habit of killing staff members who prove him wrong is now widely known, and so he finds it impossible to get anyone to serve him. However, his legendary pride does make him formidable in combat. -2 command, -2 a***en, +3 valour.

Lazy
    He suffers from sloth, finding it difficult to attend to his duties. -1 command, -1 a***en.

Very Lazy
    He is a master of sloth and procrastination, being most creative in devising excuses for putting off hard work. -2 command, -2 a***en.

Irritable
    He is quick to anger, and slow to forget a grudge. +1 dread.

Argumentative
    He argues fiercely, often shouting wildly. His anger is swift, simmers briefly, and then pours out in a torrent of violence. This can be useful on the battlefield. +1 dread, +2 valour.

Secret Bad Temper
    He cannot control his temper. More than once a minor argument has ended with the red mist descending and his opponent moments later lying on the floor in a pool of his own blood. So far such incidents have been hushed up. +1 dread, +2 valour.

Murderous Temper
    His murderous temper has been exposed. He could not cover up the death of an unarmed holy man who disagreed with his choice of wine with the cheese course. +2 dread, -2 piety.

Secret Incest
    He has an incestuous relationship with his daughter. If this were to become known the pious would be outraged.

Incest
    He has an incestuous relationship with his daughter and this has become public knowledge. The pious are outraged with this and have demanded that action be taken. -5 piety.

Secret Incest
    He has an incestuous relationship with his sister. If this were to become known the pious would be outraged.

Incest
    He has an incestuous relationship with his sister and this has become public knowledge. The pious are outraged with this and have demanded that action be taken. -5 piety.

Assured Loyalty
    His acquital on charges of treason have made this man keen to show his faithfulness to his faction. +1 loyalty.

Guaranteed Loyalty
    Perhaps it was a flirtation with treason that has made this man realise that his true worth lies in fidelity. +2 loyalty.

Extreme Loyalty
    Accusations of treason have left this man with the desire to prove himself more loyal than anyone else. +3 loyalty.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited June 2010
    Continuation of the original thread (5).

aurelius1 (01/29/06 15:44:09) [Courtesy Mablung of the Heavy Hand]

King Ascension Table:

(I found this interesting)

// FAMOUS_KINGS::
    // This sets up special kings for a faction, the number list how many kings are listed
    // The name number correspond to the name number in the forenames list, counting from 0
    // For example, a English king with name number 4 will give you "William"
    // The portrait number correspond to a picture name in its folder, a -1 will give you a random picture
    // The vnv entry must match an existing vnv in the game, the see changes.txt and event.txt for the correct text label

FAMOUS_KINGS:: FN_ENGLISH 12
    //name no. c d p a portrait vnv
    4, 2, 3, 7, 3, 4, -1, tyrant2
    0, 1, 2, 4, 4, 7, -1, lawman1
    7, 1, 3, 4, 3, 4, -1, vaccilator1
    0, 2, 3, 6, 4, 6, -1, anger1
    2, 1, 5, 6, 5, 2, -1, mightywarrior3
    3, 1, 2, 5, 2, 2, -1, secret_tyrant3
    0, 3, 2, 4, 4, 3, -1, charity1
    1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, -1, lawman1
    1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 3, -1, secret_lust1
    1, 3, 3, 4, 3, 3, -1, mightywarrior1
    0, 4, 3, 5, 3, 5, -1, secret_tyrant3
    0, 5, 5, 4, 4, 5, -1, fearsome3

As you can see, there are too many kings for just present era-start kings.

NOTE: I believe most of the other factions have a similar list of famous kings. It can be found in the text files defining the campaigns, I think.

Duke of Earl (05/18/06 17:37:35) [Governor Bonuses for VI Scenario]

Not certain if this is the right thread for this info; if not, mod, please move it to the appropriate place. Thought this might be helpful in sorting out gubernatorial candidates; I know it is for me.

Here is a list (complete, I think) of the governor bonuses for each province in the Viking Invasion scenario only. I haven’t compiled a list for the full MTW map, but if anyone else feels so inclined…

L = loyalty
    A = a.c.u.m.en
    D = dread
    C = command
    P = piety

In alphabetical order:

Athfotla
    L + 1
    A + 1

Beornice
    L +2
    A +1

Brega
    L + 1
    A + 1
    D + 1
    C + 1

Cait
    L + 1
    D + 1
    P + 1

Cantaware
    L + 2
    D + 1
    C + 1
    P + 2

Cerniu
    L + 1
    D + 1
    C + 1
    P + 1

Clwyd
    L + 1
    P + 1

Connacht
    L + 1
    D + 1
    C + 1
    P + 1

C.u.m.bri (grrr... word filter)
    L + 1

Cyil
    L + 1
    D + 1

Dal Riada
    L + 2
    A + 1

Defet
    L + 1
    D + 1
    C + 1
    P + 1

Defnas
    L + 1
    P + 1

Dere
    L + 1
    A + 1
    P + 1

Domon
    L + 2
    A + 1
    P + 1

Dornsaete
    L + 1

East Engle
    L + 1
    P + 1

East Seaxe
    L + 2
    A + 1
    D + 1
    C + 1

Elmete
    L + 1

Fib
    L + 1
    A + 1

Guent
    L + 1

Guined
    L + 1
    A + 1

Hordaland
    L + 1
    C + 1

Hwicce
    L + 1
    P + 1

Jutland
    L + 1
    C + 1

Laigin
    L + 2
    D + 1
    C + 1

Lindisi
    L + 1

Lothene
    L + 1
    C + 1
    P + 1

Middel Engle
    L + 1
    A + 1

Middel Seaxe
    L + 1
    A + 1

Mierce
    L + 2
    A + 1
    D + 1

Manau
    L + 1
    C + 1

Monoth
    L + 2
    D + 2
    C + 1

Moray
    L + 1
    A + 1
    D + 2
    C + 1

Munster
    L + 1
    D + 1
    C + 1
    P + 1

Orcades
    L + 1
    A + 1
    P + 1

Pouis
    L + 1
    C + 1

Reget
    L + 2
    A + 1
    C + 2
    P + 1

Sci
    L + 1
    D + 1
    P + 1

Sumorsaete
    L + 1

Suth Seaxe
    L + 1

Ulster
    L + 1
    D + 1

West Seaxe
    L + 2
    A + 1

Arodi (08/14/06 22:30:39) [Boiling factor]

New test results on boiling factor for desert fighting give the following figures:

Cavalry Armour Level 2&3 (depletion 50%/recovery 50%)
    Cavalry Armour Level 4&5 (depletion 75%/recovery 25%)
    Cavalry Armour Level 6&+ (depletion 100%/recovery 0%)

Infantry Armour Level 1&2 (depletion 50%/recovery 50%)
    Infantry Armour Level 3&4 (depletion 75%/recovery 25%)
    Infantry Armour Level 5&+ (depletion 100%/recovery 0%)

Cav armour 5 will tire faster than 4, Infantry armour 4 will tire faster than 3. Depletion meaning the amount of energy that will be lost, even when idle, recovery meaning the amount of energy that can be regained when resting the unit.

NB I've used random units to check this, I haven't tested all units in the game, but the factors can be considered as a rule of thumb.

DukeofPrunes (10/13/06 13:52:19) [Definitive GA List and Points]

Medieval Total War Glorious Achievements
    By Nefarious, December 2003

Introduction: In ‘Glorious Achievements’ victory is measured in points, not domination of the map. Some players enjoy this mode, attempting to duplicate historical events of a chosen faction. To this end, what follows is a list of each faction and its respective goals, broken down into the three periods (Early, High, Late).

Note: Various achievements are added during game play. The following list represents what is known to be available at the start of each period.
    Headers

Many goals and achievements have identical text accompanying them, namely ‘Homelands’, ‘Conquests’, and ‘Crusades’. Therefore, these headers appear here, in their own listing, to avoid excessive print. Exclusive GA’s, however, will appear with their respective factions.

Homelands: The heart of your faction’s homeland must be defended against incursions. Control must be kept of the provinces listed below. Points are counted in 1100, 1125, 1150, 1175, 1205, 1225, 1250, 1275, 1300, 1321, 1350, 1375, 1400, 1425, and 1453.

Conquests: You get points for conquering any provinces, with the exception of your own homelands, up to a maximum of 32 points. Points are counted in 1100, 1125, 1150, 1175, 1205, 1225, 1250, 1275, 1300, 1321, 1350, 1375, 1400, 1425, and 1453.

Crusades: The Pope has guaranteed indulgences for every man that fights in Outremer, defending the pilgrimage trails and claiming the lands holy to our Saviour. To go on Crusade is to march in the Glory of God. Points are counted between 1095-1204.

Factions
    1. The Almohads
    2. The Aragonese
    3. The Byzantines
    4. The Danes
    5. The Egyptians
    6. The English
    7. The French
    8. The Germans
    9. The Hungarians
    10. The Italians
    11. The Polish
    12. The Russians
    13. The Sicilians
    14. The Spanish
    15. The Turks

--The Almohads--
    Glorious Achievements

Early Period_______________________________________________
    Homelands Points
    Granada
    Cordoba
    Cyrenacia
    Tunisia
    Algeria
    Morocco
    Valencia

Conquests Points
    For every 5 provinces
    conquered, you score

High Period_______________________________________________
    Homelands Points
    Granada
    Cordoba
    Cyrenacia
    Tunisia
    Algeria
    Morocco
    Valencia

Conquests Points
    For every 3 provinces
    conquered, you score----1

--The Alhambra (red) Palace--:
    A splendid government Citadel on the plateau overlooking the city of Granada will mark a claim to permanent dominance over Spain. Points are counted (but only once) between 1205-1320. Your faction must build:
    A Citadel in Granada ----4

Late Period_______________________________________________
    Homelands Points
    Tunisia
    Algeria
    Morocco
    Granada

Conquests Points
    For every 3 provinces

--The Aragonese--
    Glorious Achievements

Homelands Points
    Aragon

Conquests Points
    For every 4 provinces

Crusades
    Antioch

Homelands Points
    Aragon

Conquests Points
    For every 2 provinces

Homelands Points
    Aragon
    Valencia
    Sardinia
    Sicily

Conquests Points
    For every 2 provinces
    Conquered, you score----1

--The Byzantines--
    Glorious Achievements

Homelands Points
    Constantinople
    Bulgaria
    Greece
    Crete
    Rhodes
    Georgia
    Lesser Armenia
    Trebizond
    Nicaea
    Anatolia
    Cyprus
    Naples

Conquests Points
    For every 4 provinces
    conquered, you score

Homelands Points
    Rhodes
    Georgia
    Lesser Armenia
    Nicaea

Conquests Points
    For every 2 provinces
    conquered, you score

Homelands Points
    Constantinople
    Nicaea
    Rhodes

Conquests Points
    For every 2 provinces

--The Danes--
    Glorious Achievements

Homelands Points
    Denmark
    Conquests Points
    For every 1 province

Homelands Points
    Denmark
    Conquests Points
    For every 2 provinces
    conquered, you score----3

Homelands Points
    Denmark
    Livonia

Conquests Points
    For every 1 province
    conquered, you score----2

The Kalmar Union:
    The union of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden faces the formidable challenge of achieving superiority over the German Hansa - a demanding economic target. Points are counted (but only once) between 1321-1453. This is achieved when:
    Income from Trade exceeds…
    6,000 florins 8
    3,000 florins 4
    1,500 florins 2
    750 florins 1

--The Egyptians--
    Glorious Achievements

Homelands Points
    Egypt
    Antioch
    Palestine
    Arabia
    Sinai

Conquests Points
    For every 4 provinces
    conquered, you score

The Grand Mosque:
    The greatness of Egypt will be profoundly enhanced by building a Grand Mosque to be the principal seat of Islamic learning. Points are scored (once) between 1095-1204. The Egyptians must build:
    A Mosque in Egypt

Homelands Points
    Egypt
    Syria
    Palestine
    Edessa
    Arabia
    Sinai

Conquests Points
    For every 2 provinces

Homelands Points
    Egypt
    Antioch
    Syria
    Tripoli
    Cyrenacia
    Palestine
    Edessa
    Arabia
    Sinai

Conquests Points
    For every 2 provinces

Cairo:
    The city of Al-Qahirah (Cairo) has transformed in recent years from a royal enclave to an imperial metropolis. As the hub of Egyptian power it can become the greatest city in the known world. Points are counted (only once) between 1321-1453. The Egyptians must attain:
    More buildings
    In Egypt than in
    Any other province

--The English--
    Glorious Achievements

Homelands Points
    Wessex
    Aquitaine
    Normandy
    Anjou
    Northumbria
    Mercia

Conquests Points
    For every 5 provinces

Crusades
    Antioch
    Edessa
    Palestine
    Tripoli

Homelands Points
    Wessex
    Aquitaine
    Ireland
    Anjou
    Northunbria
    Mercia
    Brittany

Conquests Points
    For every 3 provinces

Homelands Points
    Wessex
    Normandy
    Aquitaine
    Wales
    Ireland
    Northumbria
    Mercia
    Rhodes

Conquests Points
    For every 3 provinces

Wool Monopoly:
    Control of the wool cloth trade is at the apex of mercantile and territorial competitions with French and Spanish interests, and is a goal worthy of some effort. Points are counted in 1350, 1400, and 1450. English merchants must:
    Control more than
    2/3rds of the
    Wool Trade

--The French--
    Glorious Achievements

Homelands Points
    Flanders
    Brittany
    Ile de France
    Champagne
    Toulouse
    Edessa
    Antioch
    Palestine

Conquests Points
    For every 5 provinces

Crusades
    Antioch
    Edessa
    Palestine
    Tripoli

The Krak des Chevaliers:
    The Knights of St. John have called for a mighty Citadel to be built in Tripoli as a bastion of the Crusaders. Points are counted (once) between 1100-1200. The following must be built:
    A Citadel in Tripoli----8

Homelands Points
    Flanders
    Normandy
    Ile de France
    Anjou
    Brittany
    Champagne
    Toulouse
    Cyprus
    Antioch
    Tripoli

Conquests Points
    For every 3 provinces

Notre Dame Cathedral:
    The Church’s leaders have conceived of a great Cathedral in Paris, constructed on the ruins of two previous basilicas. This will stand as a permanent statement of France’s piety. Points are counted (once) between 1150-1250. The following must be built:
    A Cathedral in
    Ile de France

Homelands Points
    Normandy
    Flanders
    Ile de France
    Anjou
    Provence
    Burgundy
    Brittany
    Champagne
    Toulouse
    Cyprus

Conquests Points
    For every 3 provinces

--The Germans--
    Glorious Achievements

Homelands Points
    Brandenburg
    Bohemia
    Saxony
    Friesland
    Franconia
    Lorraine
    Provence
    Burgundy
    Swabia
    Bavaria
    Switzerland
    Tyrolia
    Austria

Conquests Points
    For every 5 provinces

Crusades Points
    Antioch
    Edessa
    Palestine
    Tripoli

High Period_______________________________________________Homelands Points
    Brandenburg
    Bohemia
    Saxony
    Friesland
    Franconia
    Lorraine
    Provence
    Burgundy
    Swabia
    Bavaria
    Switzerland
    Tyrolia
    Austria

Conquests Points
    For every 3 provinces

Homelands Points
    Livonia
    Prussia
    Pomerania
    Brandenburg
    Bohemia
    Saxony
    Friesland
    Franconia
    Lorraine
    Swabia
    Bavaria
    Tyrolia
    Austria

Conquests Points
    For every 3 provinces

The Hanseatic League: A powerful chain of German coastal cities, with ports and merchants uniting to dominate trade, offers vast wealth to the furtherance of the Empire. Points are counted in 1250, 1300, 1350, 1400, and 1450. Imperial Merchants must:
    Control more than 2/3
    of North Sea Trade

--The Hungarians--
    Glorious Achievements

Homelands Points
    Hungary
    Carpathia
    Croatia

Conquests Points
    For every 1 province

Homelands Points
    Hungary
    Carpathia
    Croatia

Conquests Points
    For every 2 provinces

Homelands Points
    Hungary
    Carpathia
    Croatia

Conquests Points
    For every 1 province

--The Italians--
    Glorious Achievements

Homelands Points
    Genoa
    Milan
    Venice
    Tuscany
    Corsica
    Sardinia

Conquests Points
    For every 5 provinces

Crusades
    Antioch
    Edessa
    Palestine
    Tripoli

Homelands Points
    Genoa
    Milan
    Venice
    Tuscany
    Crete
    Corsica
    Sardinia

Conquests Points
    For every 3 provinces

Homelands Points
    Genoa
    Milan
    Venice
    Tuscany
    Crete
    Corsica

Conquests Points
    For every 3 provinces

--The Polish--
    Glorious Achievements

Homelands Points
    Poland
    Silesia

Conquests Points
    For every 1 province

Homelands Points
    Poland
    Silesia

Conquests Points
    For every 1 province

Homelands Points
    Poland
    Silesia

Conquests Points
    For every 1 province

The Jagellonian University:
    Recognition of the value the great thinkers of Europe can only increase Poland’s glory. Points are given in 1204, 1320, or 1453. The following must be built:
    A University
    in Poland

Stand Fast:
    Teutonic expansionism from the West threatens all the Slavic peoples. Poland is the spine of the defense and must stand firm before the aggressors. Points are counted in 1204 and 1320.
    You must control:
    Smolensk
    Lithuania
    Chernigov
    Kiev
    Volhynia

--The Russians--
    Glorious Achievements

NOTE: The Russians are unavailable when starting a game in this period.

Homelands Points
    Muscovy
    Pereyaslavl
    Kiev

Conquests Points
    For every 2 provinces

Homelands Points
    Muscovy

Conquests Points
    For every 1 province

Moscow:
    Moscow can potentially boast of becoming the finest city in Europe, magnifying your glory. Points are counted (once) between 1321-1453, and there must be:
    More buildings in
    Muscovy than any
    other province

--The Sicilians--
    Glorious Achievements

Homelands Points
    Malta
    Sicily

Conquests Points
    For every 5 provinces

Crusades
    Antioch
    Edessa
    Palestine
    Tripoli

Homelands Points
    Malta
    Sicily
    Naples

Conquests Points
    For every 3 provinces

NOTE: The Sicilians are unavailable when starting a game in this period.

--The Spanish--
    Glorious Achievements

Homelands Points
    Portugal
    Leon
    Castile

Conquests Points
    For every 2 provinces

Crusades
    Antioch
    Edessa
    Palestine
    Tripoli

Homelands Points
    Leon
    Castille

Conquests Points
    For every 1 province

Homelands Points
    Cordoba
    Leon
    Castile

Conquests Points
    For every 1 province

--The Turks--
    Glorious Achievements

Homelands Points
    Rum
    Armenia
    Syria
    Tripoli
    Edessa

Conquests Points
    For every 4 provinces

Homelands Points
    Rum
    Armenia
    Anatolia

Conquests Points
    For every 2 provinces

Homelands Points
    Rum

Conquests Points
    For every 2 provinces

The Turkish Empire:
    Your vigorous people seek expansion to the west, where only the enfeebled Byzantine Empire stands between you and greatness. Points are counted (once) between 1321-1453.
    The following provinces must be conquered:
    Nicaea
    Serbia
    Greece
    Anatolia

--Imprecise ADDENDUM by the Duke of Prunes--
    Most factions I've played will have and can score some extra points once with the following GA when eras are coming to a close:

You can score X points if your capital province contains the most buildings and upgrades in 1204, 1321 or 1453. This GA will appear at the last quarter century before the change of era. Once again, I cannot guarantee that the programming was ever done right with the expansion and patches.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited June 2010
    Reserved post 1, in case I need to add more to the original.

(If you notice posts that contain any errors/deviations from the original thread in the old boards, pm me)

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
  • SaspiSaspi Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 612
    edited March 2013
    :O ...... :O ... so much info! Just amazing the transition from Shogun to Medieval.
    Im working on the total war wiki, would you like to join me?
    http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Wiki_Coordination_Central
  • PotiomkinPotiomkin Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hello,
    if anyone alive here after 5 years since last post....

I just Wonder how to prevent my leader from dying at the age of 56 or sooner every time... last campaign i waited till Mongol Horde as Novgorod Leader....i beat em...and died just the next turn...so game over.

Any ideas?
    Im playing VI gold edition on steam