Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Cancel spell

DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 2,323Registered Users
Hello everyone !

I have a quick question to you all,

How do you cancel a spell once it has been selected and targeted and the countdown stats counting down ? Is it still possible to cancel it without casting another spell before the countdown goes to zero ?

Thank you !

Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor

Comments

• FabiFabi Posts: 161Registered Users
    Move your caster.
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 2,323Registered Users
    Fabi said:

Move your caster.

That does not work.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
    Click on the stop order button, it looks like a hand.
  • Michael4537Michael4537 Posts: 2,111Registered Users
    I don't think so. The only way to spot it is to do something before the actual casting has begun.

The only thing that would prevent a spell being cast after the "windup" period has begun would be for the caster to get staggered by an attack.
    Fabi said:

Click on the stop order button, it looks like a hand.

That works for spells that are being cast in the cooldown period ? or as I see Micheal saying, the 'windup' period ?

I don't think so. The only way to spot it is to do something before the actual casting has begun.

The only thing that would prevent a spell being cast after the "windup" period has begun would be for the caster to get staggered by an attack.

Thanks for your comment !

so there is no way to cancel the spell yourself once you are in the 'windup' period (as you named it ;) didn't know the right name for it :D) ?

Sometimes I cast a spell like Wind of death, with cost a lot and then the units move slightly out of the spell range and I want to stop it, but I just don't know how and if it is even possible !

Alt + F4 would be my last suggestion
  • dreagondreagon Senior Member Posts: 1,929Registered Users
    DarkLordD said:

Sometimes I cast a spell like Wind of death, with cost a lot and then the units move slightly out of the spell range and I want to stop it, but I just don't know how and if it is even possible !
    I'm pretty sure that's the reason why you can't cancel spells.
    "The dog is a peasant and the cat is a gentleman." H.P. Lovecraft
  • az88az88 Posts: 3,065Registered Users
    You're not supposed to be able to cancel spells at that stage. Opponents are supposed to be able to move out of the way, if they can react quickly enough.
    Okay, thanks :)

That's logic of course ;) but never hurt to ask. Maybe it was possible.

So the answer is, not possible. Thanks :) !

• innerpinnerp Junior Member Posts: 301Registered Users
    moving out of range can cancel it too, but you would need to be max range at the start to do it in time
  • 42konyo42konyo Posts: 775Registered Users
    If there's enough time to react before the countdown runs out then you could always cast another spell and just cast it somewhere way out of range, that'll cancel the first spell and the second spell is canceled once you cancel the move order or re-cast the first spell, if you're not playing MP or legendary you could pause the game the second you decide to recast the spell and do all of the above without having to rush.