Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Araby DLC

Comments

• talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 583
    MrJade said:

Xenos7 said:

I don't think things are already fixed. Release schedules tend to be fluid. Look at Dawn of War 3, another SEGA game. It bombed, not a single DLC was released till now. ToB not doing well could easily mean attention shifting back to Warhammer.

ToB didn't bomb though. So it'll get DLC.

I'm also not saying the DLC teams are one and the same, but marketing for CA does one game a month.
    Honestly, ToB is a waste of time and resources... :/
    Could have used that to polish Warhammer and add more content instead
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Registered Users Posts: 4,327
    talonn said:

MrJade said:

Xenos7 said:

I don't think things are already fixed. Release schedules tend to be fluid. Look at Dawn of War 3, another SEGA game. It bombed, not a single DLC was released till now. ToB not doing well could easily mean attention shifting back to Warhammer.

I'm also not saying the DLC teams are one and the same, but marketing for CA does one game a month.
    And historical fans feel the same way about WH. Can’t we both have nice things?
    Later
  • Some_ScribeSome_Scribe Registered Users Posts: 1,376
    Tayvar said:

Araby is possibly the strongest contender for a Game 2 race DLC. They have a lot of lore, their lands are in the game, thty have clear starting positions, and we can even make a pretty complete army list for them without inventing anything.

Here are the options we have for Arabyan units going strictly by the canon. This isn't an army list as much as a list of units CA COULD use for Araby:

Araby is famous for its bowmen as well, they are also into slaves, so slingers wouldn`t be too bad, similar to the arabian factions from attilla. Could see them in general having slave units as cannonfodder....

But what I would definitely like to add are: Naphta Throwers ... kinda comparable to Miners with Explosive charges only these aren`t armor-piercing just pure fire damage in aoe.

I would not add Handgunners, because they aren`t really that far in terms of gunpowder, simple cannons? sure

Heroes with jezzail on a camel? sure, but those would be single characters.

The big question is: What would be the flavor of that faction as opposed to other factions?

medium to heavy armored frontline that is cost efficient (compareable to dwarves but their attackstats arent that great)

Light to medium cav, monsters and bestial infantry (djinns and elephants) instead of artillery or flyer focus

Would make horses shock-cav and camels grinder-cav.

(but ofc their flying carpets)

Decents skirmishers but not too crazy

Big diverse infantry-roster, great variety in cavalry , lacking armorpiercing skirmishers, sandmagic could be focussed on protecting frontlines (e.g. a spell that heavily reduces accuracy for enemy skirmishers, a spell that gives units stalk so e.g. dervishes dont get wrecked by skirmish)

Actually, there's barely any lore about slavery in Araby. We know that the Sultans have lots of slaves, but that's literally it. We don't even know if the Corsairs take slaves. So the slavery aspect of Araby has definitely been overhyped by the community.

As for bowmen, Araby's aren't very remarkable apart from their cavalry and Magic Carpets.

Araby is confirmed to have firearms and has units who use them. They're just inferior to Old World ones and are in short supply, so they're rarely issued to common troops. A high-tier elite unit armed with early firearms is totally acceptable for Araby. (Perhaps they'd have inferior range, reload rate, and missile damage, but decent armor and melee stats so they can charge in after firing a volley?)
    Only Heroes might have access to firearms in Araby lore-wise, similar to Pegasuses in the Empire.
    The Warmaster lore for Arabyan Bowmen says that firearms are RARELY issued to common troops, not NEVER. It also doesn't clarify what it means by "common troops", so it's totally possible that firearms are more common among elite Arabyan troops and not just characters.

Therefore, firearm-totting troops are a reasonable addition to an Arabyan roster as long as their weapons are inferior to their Old World equivalents.
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 583

talonn said:

MrJade said:

Xenos7 said:

End of the day, sales talk
    talonn said:

talonn said:

MrJade said:

Xenos7 said:

And they are selling to two different demographics. They want money from both groups, not just one. It’s business, not surprising.
    Later
  • SherShahSuriSherShahSuri Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,109
    I cannot stand this type of in-fighting between Total War fans... historical and fantasy... your all being played like a damn fiddle!

Unite! AND LET DLC BE FOR EVERYONEEEEEE!
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,740

talonn said:

talonn said:

MrJade said:

Xenos7 said:

And they are selling to two different demographics. They want money from both groups, not just one. It’s business, not surprising.
    I'd be willing to put my house on the fact the demographics aren't as different as people make out. Are there some people who were 15 year TW players that didn't buy Warhammer? Sure, some. Will it be the majority? Absolutely not. Warhammer and historical appeal to the same player as long as they don't have a bee in their bonnet.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 19,812
    Let's discuss the thread topic. Thanks.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    Your, but there are also those like me. Who have been playing since the first Shogun and for now have no desire to play a historical title similar to so many I’ve played before. That’s what intrigued me about the Warhammer games, vastly different factions.
    Later
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 20,014
    Allow me to drag this back on topic.

Araby has a rather mediocre roster as is. I'd like to see CA improve it similar to how they improved Brettonia.
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!
  • SultschiemSultschiem Registered Users Posts: 2,335

Araby has a rather mediocre roster as is. I'd like to see CA improve it similar to how they improved Brettonia.

Of course.

But in that mediocre roster are a few ideas that are worth looking into, such as
    - heavy spears, which do not exist so far,
    - a mixed roster of horses and camels while their elephants could be smaller and weaker than mammoths but more numerous.
    - Their own magic

and they could take some interesting stuff from previous total war games, such as Naphta Throwers, Heavy Onagers with alternative ammunitions (single stone, hail..maybe even scorpions?^^) and Basilisks in there as well

Araby would be a quite cheap dlc for them to make.
  • az88az88 Registered Users Posts: 3,065

But not for us to buy, I suspect.
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Registered Users Posts: 4,105
    az88 said:

Well I wouldn't expect more than 2 LLs and certainly not a mini-campaign so I'd say they're probably on par with Norsca at ~$10 U.S.
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

ben8vtedu said:

az88 said:

Well I wouldn't expect more than 2 LLs and certainly not a mini-campaign so I'd say they're probably on par with Norsca at ~$10 U.S.
    Aye, but it'd probably cost less to make even than Norsca. There are very few units suggested thus far that are anything more than rekins or resizing of others. There are no "this many Charlemagnes" units apparent, ala Mammoths - mostly because they already did Mammoths and thus have elephants covered.

All the cav, infantry etc are all just humans. Norsca was bare bones in itself, but fun. If Araby were as fun I'd pay £8 for it without an issue. It would, however, probably cost less for them to make. When you consider that Norsca will have been profitable even with it then being offered as a preorder bonus, you get an idea for the kind of margins Araby might offer.

These DLCs are a bit like Wood Elves in that sense. The WE DLC was so much better than the Beastmen one partly because it was part of the development process for Game 2 races anyway, so it shared costs on a lot of assets. Beastmen lost out on a lot of stuff because the assets would just have counted for that DLC and nothing else. The WE DLC was thus more extensive, but ultimately cheaper to produce. Race DLCs based off content that's already in the game are probably overpriced even at £8, in terms of the real cost of their production, but they won't get any cheaper than that and people will happily spend it.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 7,989
    az88 said:

Aye, but it'd probably cost less to make even than Norsca. There are very few units suggested thus far that are anything more than rekins or resizing of others. There are no "this many Charlemagnes" units apparent, ala Mammoths - mostly because they already did Mammoths and thus have elephants covered.

There are djinns and flying carpets. They're probably both relatively light on the charlemagne scale, though.

Draxynnic said:

az88 said:

There are djinns and flying carpets. They're probably both relatively light on the charlemagne scale, though.

Yeah, that was my thinking too. It doesn't seem much more work than historical factions and they tend to be much, much cheaper than fantasy ones. Camels, for example, would need a unique animation - but it's not exactly like designing a Hellpit Abomination. They'd likely have quests and things, like Norsca did, but even so you'd think CA would have a solid profit margin compared to other projects. My main point was that I see CA making more profit, not us saving some money.
  • uriakuriak Registered Users Posts: 3,421
    From my point of view, PRO/CON for making them as DLC

CON
    - minor faction, with less popular support/material than Kislev, TEB
    - not that much space left after the TK addition (but changing start position )
    - roster only defined in warmaster, lacking range and specific unit lore
    - couldn't be a part of game 3 start
    - possibly a feeling of deja vu with a fourth human faction (though TEB, vampire coast , Kislev, would have the same issues)

PRO
    - possible reuse of assets from historical games
    - with only the basics laid out, they would be less a conversion from the TT than a specifically TW crafted and balanced faction
    - are geographically both relevant for vortex and ME campaigns
    - explore a less western medieval fantasy aspect, in some ways TEB/Kislev/Empire/Bret would share more features together than araby
    - Are actually an important part of the world, though not often depicted (since they weren't an official army list)
    - Roster can be expanded with less fuss than well defined factions (no "missing and iconic unit" or "added an unwarranted OP thing"

As for the whole game life cycle, I'll be honest and say I've been disappointed so far, though understanding. To the point I've decided months ago I would start playing only after the may update. That said, if ToB is a "minor" release the real deal will be 3 kingdoms. It will be the moment where money will talk and future decisions will stands. Though it must be kept in mind that Norsca will be a reminder of the hazards of trying to update the general TW:WH backend. This could mean CA would not take any further risks onwards, but also that by the time of game 3 some parts of the game will have started aging a lot , and here I don't need to evoke the continuous complaints about the old factions.

• Kapika96Kapika96 Registered Users Posts: 109
    I'd love to see Araby added. The more different factions there are to play as, the better!
  • twwatchertwwatcher Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    New branch just added to steamdb for TWW 2: carpet, Araby confirmed.

Spaghetti would means halflings, right, right?

uriak said:

Correct after labels crumpets and bagels for TWW still cant believe they are not already in the game.
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,165
    twwatcher said:

uriak said:

Correct after labels crumpets and bagels for TWW still cant believe they are not already in the game.
    Are there unused branches for the original game?
    Thrones of Britannia: 69/100
    Warhammer II: 73/100
    Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100 [Age of Charlemagne: 72/100]
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100 [Fall of the Samurai: 95/100]
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100 [Kingdoms: 90/100]
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100
    MrJade said:

twwatcher said:

uriak said:

Are there unused branches for the original game?
    There's not a lot of activity showing stuff like todays update to the launcher shows in the history. There are no DLC slots available but these can be added at anytime. Nothing like the daily updates you tend to get with a product under development/support eg Rome 2 (new DLC entry quite recently and miller branch being updated quite a bit).
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 7,989
    uriak said:

Could mean Tilea. You need pies for guaranteed halflings. Or hot pots.
    Soup, certainly. Maybe it's just spaghetti code...
    More seriously, "carpet", "spaghetti" and "sparrow" match up a little too well with the possible minor faction releases for Warhammer 2 in Araby, Tilea and Vampire Coast.

If they're not DLCs for those races then someone at CA is having some fun with people.
  • baronblackbaronblack Registered Users Posts: 3,218
    Yeah, there are hopes guys. However since Carpet is the last it means that Araby is indeed the last to come c.c

Yeah, there are hopes guys. However since Carpet is the last it means that Araby is indeed the last to come c.c

Oh, I fully expect someone at CA to be having some fun with people.

They know people look at the logs and try to guess what is going on and the titles line up far too well for those not to be the go-to guesses.
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Registered Users Posts: 4,105
    az88 said:

Oh, I fully expect someone at CA to be having some fun with people.

They know people look at the logs and try to guess what is going on and the titles line up far too well for those not to be the go-to guesses.
    I'm not sure I agree. Seems much more likely that the names are coincidental and unintentional than for someone to risk the negative reaction to trolling the fans in that way.
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

• MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,165
    ben8vtedu said:

I'm not sure I agree. Seems much more likely that the names are coincidental and unintentional than for someone to risk the negative reaction to trolling the fans in that way.

It does seem unintentional, but CA should have seen that there would be a negative reaction and/or hype. It's really not hard to understand that you should avoid meme'ing a faction that most consider to have ****-poor mechanics and one that you haven't updated since the original game came out. Meme the Dorfs.
    Thrones of Britannia: 69/100
    Warhammer II: 73/100
    Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100 [Age of Charlemagne: 72/100]
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100 [Fall of the Samurai: 95/100]
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100 [Kingdoms: 90/100]
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100