Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

[Fanart] Lustrian ceremony

2»

Comments

  • uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
    BTW, I've been doing this one on a different computer than my usual and I kinda feel it's a bit light to my own taste. This is a whole different issue, of course.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 7,177Registered Users
    Just to be clear I enjoyed the art. It was just the thread title that had me thinking of marriage!
    Although if I can do one criticism it’d be that the Skink face is in my mind too human, even looks a bit feminine.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 6,117Registered Users
    uriak said:


    IIR the sacrifice and bloodshed is only tied to Sotek and the specific Lizardmen vs Skavens rivalry. They are not a sacrificial based society at their core.

    They do sacrifice non-Skaven, but it's always, or pretty much always, to Sotek. Who, to be honest, I've always been a little suspicious of, but GW never elaborated on that.

    However, I think their sacrifices are always of those who attack them first. It's essentially an execution that has the practical benefit of also empowering their war god.
  • uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
    RikRiorik said:

    Just to be clear I enjoyed the art. It was just the thread title that had me thinking of marriage!
    Although if I can do one criticism it’d be that the Skink face is in my mind too human, even looks a bit feminine.

    No offense taken ;) I dunno about it, maybe you mean it's too round? Lizarmen are quite complicated to depict, tbh, unless you've tried doing dinosaurs or similar things often.

    And yes, the picture itself is titled "awakening", but I wanted something depicting a bit the situation, and "Lustria" alone felt a bit off.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 7,177Registered Users
    edited May 2018
    uriak said:

    RikRiorik said:

    Just to be clear I enjoyed the art. It was just the thread title that had me thinking of marriage!
    Although if I can do one criticism it’d be that the Skink face is in my mind too human, even looks a bit feminine.

    No offense taken ;) I dunno about it, maybe you mean it's too round? Lizarmen are quite complicated to depict, tbh, unless you've tried doing dinosaurs or similar things often.

    And yes, the picture itself is titled "awakening", but I wanted something depicting a bit the situation, and "Lustria" alone felt a bit off.
    Tricky for sure. Especially for me. I'm not even a layman in generic 'stick man depiction'.

    I think it lies in the "smile", the roundness of the features, lack of jaggedness in the same features and the shape of the eyes somewhat. Although depending on different other art the eyes are fairly consistent.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 6,117Registered Users
    RikRiorik said:

    uriak said:

    RikRiorik said:

    Just to be clear I enjoyed the art. It was just the thread title that had me thinking of marriage!
    Although if I can do one criticism it’d be that the Skink face is in my mind too human, even looks a bit feminine.

    No offense taken ;) I dunno about it, maybe you mean it's too round? Lizarmen are quite complicated to depict, tbh, unless you've tried doing dinosaurs or similar things often.

    And yes, the picture itself is titled "awakening", but I wanted something depicting a bit the situation, and "Lustria" alone felt a bit off.
    Tricky for sure. Especially for me. I'm not even a layman in generic 'stick man depiction'.

    I think it lies in the "smile", the roundness of the features, lack of jaggedness in the same features and the shape of the eyes somewhat. Although depending on different other art the eyes are fairly consistent.
    I'm inclined to agree with this assessment, although I didn't pick up in it as being 'too human' to begin with.

    Humans tend to view curved as feminine, and more angular shapes as more masculine, so that would probably explain the femininity.

    As for appearing human:

    The smile probably does play a part in it. Lizardmen probably aren't capable of smiling, though if any are, it would probably be the Skinks. Smiling to show happiness is pretty close to being a human-only expression, so seeing it probably does make a part of the subconscious tag 'human'.

    Beyond that, I think one factor is that the way the snout is shaped can be subconsciously interpreted as being a cartoonishly large nose. From that mindset, it's possible to shift perception so that it comes across as a caricature of a green-skinned human with a comically large nose and lacking a chin (or having a weak chin). There's also not anything in there apart from the skin colour that immediately screams "not human" - the crest could be part of the headdress (in fact, now that I look at it, the leather part of it can be interpreted as long hair if you look at it sideways, which probably contributes to the 'feminine' look) and we can't see the Skink's tail, so we don't have that visual cue.

    All that said, though, I don't really see it as that much of a problem. It's an issue with perspective, and it certainly looks like a Skink even if you can shift your perception so it looks like a cartoonish green human instead. I certainly didn't see the latter until I started looking, and the above observations only came up because I was actively looking.
  • uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
    Ha, maybe, it's an issue with smaller figures in a picture, what is designed at some zoom level won't always give the same impression zoomed out, especially with the size changes from the browsers/forum added.

    And I went a bit with the often depicted raptor mouth shape, animales like reptiles and birds do often give off an expression whereas the truth is they can't change their facial feature at all. It's an issue with lizarmen in general by the way. You can't tell if one of them is happy/hungry/angry/bellowing just by their face, unless you cheat.

    My next picture will display a character in full, it should help ^^

  • CirdanCirdan Posts: 574Registered Users
    Keep up the awesome work man! Really nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file