Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Thrones of Britannia: Public Beta Patch Update

CA_EllaCA_Ella Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, SuperAdmin, Community Team Posts: 99
edited May 23 in General Discussion

We’ve just launched a patch to add some improvements to the Thrones of Britannia Public Beta – take a look and let us know what you think!

As well as a list of changes we've made in this update, there's also a step-by-step guide on how to sign up for the Thrones of Britannia Public Beta yourself (or if you have friends you want to rope into it).

Check it all out here: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-of-britannia-public-beta-patch-update

Comments

• LeverkinLeverkin Registered Users Posts: 31
    - ‘Hide Foliage’ option added to battlefield Spacebar menu
    - Removed damage caused by towers exploding when they are captured

This were sorely needed changes. Thank you.

- Changed AI bonuses for food. They now get a base +25 food on easy and +50 on normal, hard, very hard, and legendary along with a bonus of +5 food for each region owned on easy normal, and hard, and +10 on very hard and legendary

Good! More food, more AI armies.

This patch is going in a very good direction. Keep it up! :)
  • MrMecHMrMecH Registered Users Posts: 1,675
    Thank for new patches.

I suggest additional viking horde seem not be enough. You should add 2 instead of 1 in Very Hard and Legendary. Then it should be

Hard - 6 Stacks
    Very Hard - 8 Stacks
    Legendary - 10 Stacks

SHUT UP AND REWORK BEASTMEN CAMPAIGN & SKILL (AND THEN GIVE US GHORGON)

• misterZmisterZ Registered Users Posts: 170

Made adjustments to a large number of unit stats and costs, please see full patch notes for details

Where I can look for them?
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKRegistered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 1,263
    We've updated the blog post here with the full list of changes now in the beta patch: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-balance-update-full-details
    Game Director - Thrones of Britannia

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomRegistered Users Posts: 1,426
    edited May 23
    Exciting stuff.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,072
    Garrisons for main slot in major settlements now give 8/9/10/11/12 units. Garrison chain now gives 5/5/6/6/7 units, with unit quality improving over the levels. This means at max level both combined give 19 unit garrison, leaving space for the governors unit

Great change.

8+5 garrison for 1 town 1 is great it should finally be a bit of a challenge taking out big cities.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,726
    edited May 23
    So tried a new East Anglia campaign.

Turn 1: I defeat the rebels, start expanding several farms

Turn 2: West Seaxe declares war, I recruit additional units

Turn 3: Blackmail, I lose influence, loyalty of several characters drops to dangerous levels

Turn 4: Cent and Suth Seaxe invade, all the low loyalty characters rebel and I lose half of my provinces

Turn 5: Vicing invades, immediately declares war on me

Turn 6: I defeat Cent and Suth Seaxe, but the rebels in my back take almost all of my farm settlements and I can no longer sustain my armies

Turn 7: Vicing starts taking settlements, I give up

That was on Normal BTW. I think that's way too hard, especially the fact that you start with such low influence that any random political event like the one above can immediately cause most of your holdings to secede. I think Guthrum needs to start with more influence.

Alternatively, have a grace period at the beginning that prevents politics from tearing your realm apart early. Rome2 has such a mechanic, too.
    Post edited by Ephraim_Dalton on

• JacklessJackless Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 280
    Many good changes! Now we need some more character traits that make characters more aware to what the player does with or against them.

This would make loyalty a lot more dynamic when you do something to / with one character and others would react to that according to their traits. That way the campaign wouldnt need to rely so much on random events.

Imagine an over-jealous warrior who is exceptionel at leading your army but who takes it as an offence every time you give an estate or an office to someone who is "below" him.
    Second attempt, did not get West Seaxe declare war on me turn1 and no random blackmail attempt, gave all governors priests ASAP to prevent a civil war and warred on other Heathen Army factions to keep West Seaxe off my back for as long as possible by getting Here King English points, this time I actually managed to get anywhere.

I think there should be less RNG whether or not a campaign can become unwinnable from the start.

• ExarchExarch Registered Users Posts: 144
    In my beta East Engle, I had lots of loyalty issues early, but had time to beat one of the heathen factions, then the Wicing raiders just before West Seaxe attacked.

I went for the Here King English too, I wonder if that's a decisive factor?

There could be a short window before west seaxe can declare war on you. I guess the diplomacy is finely balanced so there's a threat of war anytime and the RNG can just tip it.
    Well, right now my campaign goals have pushed me into finishing off all the other Heathen Army factions. I wonder if that's a result of going Here King English and whether going Here King Army would instead task you to destroy the Anglo Saxon kingdoms.

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 15,198
    I really liked the East Engle campaign. Got my butt kicked the first time I tried it (on Hard) so dropped down to Normal. Still tough but was a lot of fun. Only went to the Long Victory. Going to do it again on a harder level a little later.

Wrapping up a Northymbre campaign now. Waiting for the invasion(s) to get the Ultimate victory.

Great game!
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • MetalC0MmanderMetalC0Mmander Registered Users Posts: 34
    edited May 24
    Something I thought might be a thing when I first played the game and wonder if it might help with holding back West Seaxe and East Engle early conflicts is them starting with a declaration of friendship. I mean from what I get it isn't completely historically inaccurate unless the treaty of Wedmore was that much of an invention. It does doom the miercian vikings though so that might make West Seaxe tougher later game.
  • ESKEHLESKEHL Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 427
    I really like the difficulty now. Trying to start up as Circenn on very hard. And it is VERY HARD :smiley:
  • BlackenedLokiBlackenedLoki Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 155
    edited May 24
    ESKEHL said:

I really like the difficulty now. Trying to start up as Circenn on very hard. And it is VERY HARD :smiley:

I did that last night... Oh my *non-descript deity*, all of a sudden everyone hates me and I have 1 army in a relatively massive kingdom!

I'm haemorrhaging settlements left, right and centre! Hopefully, I'll be able to consolidate my shrinking realm tonight, but I'm not hopeful as Viking armies seem to crush mine on a whim
    Yes, I am one of those people who liked Rome 2 and yes my opinion is still valid.
  • PellicanBeatsPellicanBeats Registered Users Posts: 9
    You guys are on normal doing this, i can't wait to try legendary later should be over in 2 turns haha
  • BlackenedLokiBlackenedLoki Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 155
    I'm on Very Hard :)
    Yes, I am one of those people who liked Rome 2 and yes my opinion is still valid.