Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Performance issues warhammer II (please CA take note!)

CarbaCarba Registered Users Posts: 7
Hello to all,
I wanted to share my bad performance issues so far!

- First of all my specs: i5 4690k at 3.8 - 8gb ram ddr3 2400 - gtx asus strix 1070 8gb - Res 1080p - drivers all updated
- Settings: low fog, no SCREEN REF, SSAO ON, AA: FXAA, Port. set to 2D, DX 11, everything else in high.
- Also: NVIDIA GPU selected in control panel, basically i followed EVERY tips on the internet.

I have afwul performance in map and battles but im going to talk about battles now. The original WTW ran well for me, 80fps on big battles with ultra settings at I get 50 fps on this benchmark with high settings.

But 50 isnt that bad, even considering the steady 80 fps in WTW I, right? for me it is, but it also get worse:
I was able to get similar performance overall with the same settings. The ratmen; however, cause issues. Wish I could lower graphic quality of just the low tier Shaven units. I can come from 60 to 28 fps in a second and then remain in 32 fps in 1v1 battles!!!
Even worse when they cast a spell in 2k rats, the fps goes down and down!!! 2v2 battles with +1 skaven faction is unplayable.
Also Elves fire dragons and stellar dragons also are causing fps drops. Why is it imposible to use SCREEN REF and FOG?

So essentially CA is doing the same thing they've been doing in Attila. Take a reasonably optimized game, throw more stuff on top of it until its not smooth unless you're the top 10% of hardware users. Not only that but they need to understand that ramming our processors so hard is a bad idea since processor tech moves in like 7% increments per gen unlike GPUs that move 30% per gen or something. Getting a 1080ti would do nothing. And upgrading my i7-3770k at 4.4ghz to an 8700k or something is in the books within this year but jesus christ.

Comments

• ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 1,489
    edited September 2017
    I think your i5 is a bottle neck, I have solid 60 fps (capped) with a 980 but with an i7-4790k and 16GB ram (only a particular spot on Ulthuan give me some problems).

EDIT: I have high preset with FXAA, ultra unit groups and unlimited video memory
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
  • CarbaCarba Registered Users Posts: 7
    Argon said:

I think your i5 is a bottle neck, I have solid 60 fps (capped) with a 980 but with an i7-4790k and 16GB ram (only a particular spot on Ulthuan give me some problems).

EDIT: I have high preset with FXAA, ultra unit groups and unlimited video memory

yes it is my bottleneck, no doubt. The problem is that the huge difference between wtw 1 and 2.

Also there are people with better rig than tou having problems. I would like you to try a 2v2 battle with skaven in multiplayer and then come here to tell me where did you go you fps (seriously talking).
  • DukeofIbanezDukeofIbanez Registered Users Posts: 3
    I have a Ryzen 3 overclocked to 3.9ghz and a GTX 1060 6GB and I get 60fps during battles on mostly Ultra settings, reflections off, medium shadows, 2d porthole. One thing that helped me was a compatibility setting in the Warhammer2.exe in the Steam>Steamapps>common folder. Right click Warhammer2.exe and check the box "Override High DPI scaling behavior"

This is a fresh build I just made on a budget and I guess that could possibly add to the performance.
  • lorzan88lorzan88 Registered Users Posts: 74
    I have the same setup as you but 16gb of ram instead of 8. Running the game on High settings, Ultra unit sizes. 8xAA. Constant 75-85 fps

According to my tests my I5 does not bottleneck the 1070 though
    Carba said:

Argon said:

yes it is my bottleneck, no doubt. The problem is that the huge difference between wtw 1 and 2.

Also there are people with better rig than tou having problems. I would like you to try a 2v2 battle with skaven in multiplayer and then come here to tell me where did you go you fps (seriously talking).
    I am playing the campaign now, I have made 2v2 battles + settlement with HE vs chaos but yea I fought some big skaven armies and when zooming in the blob I noticed few fps less but not that much.
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
  • Jungle98Jungle98 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4
    edited October 2017
    I have the same CPU as you but overclocked to 4,3 GHz, with 16 Gb ram at 2000.
    However i do have a strix GTX1080 ti.

But i have everything on ultra, fog on high and i am getting constant 60 fps in both campaign and all battles.
    the reason im not going over 60fps is that im using a 4k monitor (60 Hz).

The big turning point for me in getting the performance i expected with my GPU was using DX11 instead of 12 and turning unlimited memory off, before that i was not only struggling with decent fps but i also had crashes with i didn't get when using my previous gpu (AMD R9 390).

Your CPU is more than capable of running faster that 3.8. Other than that use DX11 and turn off unlimited memory.
  • HexiHexi Registered Users Posts: 1,096
    edited October 2017
    I have an i5 6600k with a gtx 970 and the battles run just fine on everything at ultra, the campaign map is sluggish though. They need to do something about the campaign map, something is broken with it.
    There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Registered Users Posts: 5,211
    lorzan88 said:

I have the same setup as you but 16gb of ram instead of 8. Running the game on High settings, Ultra unit sizes. 8xAA. Constant 75-85 fps

According to my tests my I5 does not bottleneck the 1070 though

It does not. The only real difference between i5 and i7 is hypertreading, but it's not like this game runs in parallel on 8 thread. I would say it's the clock speed bottlenecking him, not the architecture. Try overclocking.
  • jpinardjpinard Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 676

I have a Ryzen 3 overclocked to 3.9ghz and a GTX 1060 6GB and I get 60fps during battles on mostly Ultra settings, reflections off, medium shadows, 2d porthole. One thing that helped me was a compatibility setting in the Warhammer2.exe in the Steam>Steamapps>common folder. Right click Warhammer2.exe and check the box "Override High DPI scaling behavior"

This is a fresh build I just made on a budget and I guess that could possibly add to the performance.

What does over-riding high DPI scaling behavior do for Warhammer? Seems like that shouldn't make any performance impact in battles with a game like Warhammer 2 if I'm guessing what it does properly.
  • WeldtWeldt Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    Check in the task manager and see what your computer is doing while playing for instance I was lagging in Black Desert online after playing for few hours had no idea why so I checked and saw that the game was leaking memory and I was using my entire 16gb

Currently I have i5-7600K 16GB ram G1070 and some nice ssd card disk which makes the game run so fast on ultra settings with everything maxed never really checked my fps but load times are fast and I get no tearing lagging that I notice :þ
  • EpicTitan44EpicTitan44 Registered Users Posts: 60
    i guess TWW2 needs some optimization updates maybe then it will play better only other thing i can Think off is the game Engine that it requiers more of computers than TWW1 then again why would they make Changes to the Engine of the game might it be some more effects requires more?
  • Gr_Ad_KinzGr_Ad_Kinz Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    edited October 2017
    I am just highly disappointed that they still have not included MultiCore support. It is extremely..lackluster that they have done no performence improvements on the Engine.

The game only cares about CPU speed on a single Core really. I have a Ryzen 1800x and the game literally comes to a crawl when I click end turn. If I have a stream open on the other monitor it will literally freeze until the turn rotation is over. How absolutely sad is that? It is almost 2018 - when in the world are they going to bring Multicore support into the game?

Then there is the fact that DX12 is still in "beta" - it's been in beta forever and has had no improvements on it. Of course.. a Better API would be Vulkan really. I was hoping with the Ryzen Kits that they got, according to the big press release months ago when Ryzen released, I was thinking Multicore support was on the way. I was wrong I suppose..
    Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.
    Donald Trump

• DukeofIbanezDukeofIbanez Registered Users Posts: 3
    jpinard said:

What does over-riding high DPI scaling behavior do for Warhammer? Seems like that shouldn't make any performance impact in battles with a game like Warhammer 2 if I'm guessing what it does properly.
    I have no idea but I get +7fps with the box checked.
    Well, I played 2v4, HE vs skaven (they entered in battle with 2 armies, the other units entered after another one was killed). It was also a siege, performance were pretty good compared to previous tw games, yea a few slow downs when zoomed sometimes but not that much
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
  • waynedettawaynedetta Registered Users Posts: 4
    I am running this game: Res 2,5k
    AMD Ryzen 7x
    1080TI

got 60 fps but game never runs smooth ...

drivers are up to date.
  • LayzanLayzan Registered Users Posts: 922
    Hexi said:

I have an i5 6600k with a gtx 970 and the battles run just fine on everything at ultra, the campaign map is sluggish though. They need to do something about the campaign map, something is broken with it.

Yea same as you.

It's a shame because you load up TWW1 the campaign map looks so smooth, runs smooth and I'm running with extra options V-sync.

• CarbaCarba Registered Users Posts: 7

I am running this game: Res 2,5k
    AMD Ryzen 7x
    1080TI

got 60 fps but game never runs smooth ...

drivers are up to date.

yeah, but the game has lots of fps drops! in a FFA with skaven and spells everywhere, the fps went to 23!!!
  • DeltiumDeltium Registered Users Posts: 5
    Hi - I am also noticing VERY poor performance, both in game speed and graphics. I have written to CA support, with absolutely useless customer assistance from a person named Vincent, who simply told me to turn down my video settings, despite telling him numerous times that the game was running slow. I have 16 GB ram, a GTX 880m video card (with 8 Gb memory), i7 chips, etc. According to the specs, this puts me ABOVE the recommended level, but the game runs VERY slowly in-between turns, and even the introductory video at the beginning is running very slow. I don't have this problem on other games, so this must be something WH2 specific.
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,290
    GTX 880m is probably the same as GTX 1050 one, which is low end now.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,838
    Don't run any game in Window mode. Especially borderless. That alone should make it feel smooth.

The amount of misconceptions is so high in this thread it hurts...

Never use VSYNC. It's terrible and causes microstutter and especially input lag. If you want to limit the fps do it in either the Nvidia Control Panel and enable Fast Sync
    Or go into Radeon settings and set a FPS cap.

You will avoid the terrible thing called VSync but get the same benefit without the cons.

A GTX 880M is weak. So not sure why you expect much...

No desktop CPU from 2500k till now is bottlenecking anything. It will still run fine. If you use a 1080ti and up then sure but if that's the case you aren't spending the money in the right places..

Don't use DX12. Use DX11.
    Stop complaining about multi core support. They already can address 4threads. Not the best but it's not single core like you all believe. It can be better but at least know what it is you ask for...

Biggest performance impact settings are in order
    Shadows, AA(anything over FXAA especially), Fog, SSAO(reflections), Unlimited memory, Unit size, Textures/Unit Textures, and anything else is very little.
  • PancakesPancakes Registered Users Posts: 377
    edited January 2018
    RX480
    Ryzen 1600x
    SSD

I have to agree it feels poorly optimized as most of the time I am getting 40fps

WH1 I was getting 60+ on ultra every time.
  • KronusXKronusX Registered Users Posts: 1,361
    Deltium said:

Hi - I am also noticing VERY poor performance, both in game speed and graphics. I have written to CA support, with absolutely useless customer assistance from a person named Vincent, who simply told me to turn down my video settings, despite telling him numerous times that the game was running slow. I have 16 GB ram, a GTX 880m video card (with 8 Gb memory), i7 chips, etc. According to the specs, this puts me ABOVE the recommended level, but the game runs VERY slowly in-between turns, and even the introductory video at the beginning is running very slow. I don't have this problem on other games, so this must be something WH2 specific.

So you decided instead of trying to turn video settings down and see if it works+ tweak settings to rant against that the game is running slow ? Might want to try his suggestion.

As for the game running slow in-between turns, get an SSD, that helps big time for turns.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 13,595
    An SSD should help with load times (great between battles and such) but it won't work on the end turns themselves. At least not in my experience.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • RazmirthRazmirth Registered Users Posts: 2,193
    edited January 2018
    I cannot recxomend highly enough an SSD. Before I had it I was waiting 5 minutes for battles to load. Now, I wait 30 seconds or so.

It is so worth it. Made the game playable for me, since before I went around auto-resolving everything in fear of facing the loadong screen before and after a battle.

That aside, I agree the game seems to struggle, even with optimal setups. I run a i5 6600k ovrrclocked to 4.4 GHz, 8 gb ddr4 ram, Gtx 980ti 6gb sea hawk editon (comes with its own fan attached to GPU) and I can run everything on ultra. But without mods, my game still looks average at best. And if I’m playijg horde armies like skaven vs greenskins?? If I zoom in the FPS drops from 65 to 40 pretty quickly.

It’s fine if it’s only a 20v20 battle usually. But really, unless you’re running an i7 800000 whatever processor, a Gtx 180ti (some even run two) and 16+gb of ram on a 4k screen (which costs like 400 bucks minimum) this game isn’t gonna be as eye popping as you see on some YouTubers or Twitch streamers channels.

And not many of us can afford to dish out 4000 plus dollars for a PC. I built mine for 1000 a year ago, which is pretty decent and economical (got the 980ti on sale for 350, couldn’t say no). But I can run doom 2016 at ultra and have 50+FPS, dishonoured 2 maxed out etc. Really all games I can run no problems at max everything. Except TWW2. And 1 had some issues graphic wise, but not nearly as much as 2 is.
  • crimsonsuncrimsonsun Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 390
    I doubt its the cpu as I'm running a overclocked fx8350, RX 580 8gb and 16gb ram and am getting constant 50fps at ultra very high settings is fxaa in 2k resolution (4k crashes my fps to around 20 however). On the other hand I've got a 4gb 960gtx and that only gives me 30fps max with the settings at high or lower in 1080 resolution.
    "This land" "Is my home, my birthright! The wind and rain are my allies. The trees and stones are my foot soldiers. The very earth will rise up against you, should you try to take it from me. And my people will feast on your bones!"
    - Mannfred Von Carstein
  • wardinsonwardinson Registered Users Posts: 1
    Argon said:

Im necroing this thread to call this guy out.

I have literally the exact sames setup as you my fps will never ever raise above 60fps. In big battles, ultra unit size, two armies on each side with twenty stacks my frames will drop to 10-20 fps and stay there when the action is going on and the screen is anywhere near it. This has been the same nonsense since Rome 2 when the corporate money grubbers came around.

I think honestly man you are lying through youre teeth to be a fanboy and deny other people the satisfaction of knowing that isnt just them with the problem.

I have your literal setup, EVGA 980 sc, i7-4790k, 16gb ram Windows is on SSD with TW2 on its own seperate raid 0 ssd. I have been playing total war since shogun one and spent my adult so far as an IT and software engineer. In my opinion you are lying through youre teeth and this game has horrible optimization that still hasnt been fixed even though i purchased the game this week.