Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Please help me with my first Norsca campaign

TheTreasurerKingTheTreasurerKing Registered Users Posts: 10
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
So I went and bought Norsca a few days ago to become the king of the north. Campaign on hard, battle difficulty on normal. I confederated the north quite quickly (maybe too quickly) and then had a very hard time defending it. Was attacked by Dark Elves, Brittania and Midland all at once. Took a lot of time to get my economy up and running but am now having a quite strong one.

Problem is that The Empire got incredibly strong during my ''defence'' of the north, they rank number one in strength so I don't have the balls to declare war on them. I have an alliance with Kar Ganeth to make sure there are no sudden invasions from the north and reinforced all my outer towns/cities with maximum defenses.

I started a war against Kislev which went pretty good but I am now stuck, I erased their complete army ten turns ago but the speed at which they create new stacks is just too much for me. My empire is built on momentum and the ability to field more stacks than can be payed for through raiding and razing. The essence of the problem is that any siege battle takes way too much time, I can't siege for too long because it is very costly and opponents get too much time to gather new armies. Adding to the misery is that the mighty Empire is constantly occupying the cities and town I raze/demolish.

I now consider to forge peace with Kislev in order to take on The Empire with help of Clan Riktus (which are one ''rank'' under me by rank) and Kar Ganeth, but I'm having a feeling that I might have taken way too much time rebuilding the north and that I will be attacked by both Kislev and The Empire once the war against The Empire is underway. Any help is really appreciated! Underneath this post I will include pictures of the current affair the world is in. I could of course restart my campaign but I kind of like the challenge this game gives me right now.

PS: One major problem I also keep running in to is Kislev or other Empire sub-factions fielding massive amount of horse archers in their armies which slowly sap the life out of my army even when I'm winning. I already included more hounds into my army but I usually am only able to distract half of the ranged unites the enemy uses.

Morathi: And with these ashes my son, we have our revenge!

Malekith: No................................................ I have only begun
Tagged:

Comments

• SilferSilfer Registered Users Posts: 427

So I went and bought Norsca a few days ago to become the king of the north. Campaign on hard, battle difficulty on normal. I confederated the north quite quickly (maybe too quickly) and then had a very hard time defending it. Was attacked by Dark Elves, Brittania and Midland all at once. Took a lot of time to get my economy up and running but am now having a quite strong one.

Problem is that The Empire got incredibly strong during my ''defence'' of the north, they rank number one in strength so I don't have the balls to declare war on them. I have an alliance with Kar Ganeth to make sure there are no sudden invasions from the north and reinforced all my outer towns/cities with maximum defenses.

I started a war against Kislev which went pretty good but I am now stuck, I erased their complete army ten turns ago but the speed at which they create new stacks is just too much for me. My empire is built on momentum and the ability to field more stacks than can be payed for through raiding and razing. The essence of the problem is that any siege battle takes way too much time, I can't siege for too long because it is very costly and opponents get too much time to gather new armies. Adding to the misery is that the mighty Empire is constantly occupying the cities and town I raze/demolish.

I now consider to forge peace with Kislev in order to take on The Empire with help of Clan Riktus (which are one ''rank'' under me by rank) and Kar Ganeth, but I'm having a feeling that I might have taken way too much time rebuilding the north and that I will be attacked by both Kislev and The Empire once the war against The Empire is underway. Any help is really appreciated! Underneath this post I will include pictures of the current affair the world is in. I could of course restart my campaign but I kind of like the challenge this game gives me right now.

PS: One major problem I also keep running in to is Kislev or other Empire sub-factions fielding massive amount of horse archers in their armies which slowly sap the life out of my army even when I'm winning. I already included more hounds into my army but I usually am only able to distract half of the ranged unites the enemy uses.

Kill them, destroy them all.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 9,857
    Don’t siege. If you don’t have a siege attacking unit ypu wait one turn and build a ram or a tower if that is available in one turn. Assault immediately when you can. Unless defences are better than your attackers you should succeed without much of a problem.

Can’t offer much more than that as I havent played Norsca in about a year.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • FalxmanFalxman Member Registered Users Posts: 208
    edited June 2018
    You should get 'lightning strike' in the Lord's skill tree to deal with those Kislev armies one by one.
    Also in Lord's skill tree is siege turn reduction time ( up to 3 turns).
    You shouldn't have wiped out Hell Pit Skaven. I used them as allies against Kraka Drak and Kislev and then destroy them.
    There are no horse archers in Empire maybe Pistoliers? Charge the main army and destroy them as quickly as you can then Pistoliers will rout without fight. Also use hunters to kill them.
    There is nothing if there isn't Total War
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 9,857
    As long as you keep the outer rim of Norsca buffed with defensive buildings and have the inner parts and the reasonably safe parts as economic centres which it seems you have then you could have one lord with a small stack jump around and aid in defences if something happens up north. As far as I remember Norscan defence armies in levelled settlements aren’t half bad.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • chrisff87chrisff87 Registered Users Posts: 4
    edited June 2018
    I'm also having a difficult time in my Norsca campaign as Wintertooth, but my situation is a little different. I control all of the Norscan lands in the north, and I am fighting High Elves on west, and currently the Vampire Counts, Empire, and Wood Elves on the south.
    I am currently in turn 220, and for the most part, I've been fighting the VC that have controlled all the territory just south and west of Hell Pit, and having a hard time dealing with all the attrition they cause due to their vampiric corruption.
    I am finally to the point where I am about to defeat them, and their corruption is going down, so I'm hoping that not having to deal with all that corruption makes it easier for me to finally focus on the Empire and then Bretonnia.
    Post edited by chrisff87 on
  • Skarsnik_De_EmperorSkarsnik_De_Emperor Registered Users Posts: 1,788
    Your natural enemy is Empire. Fighting them should give you HE as another natural enemy and Vampire as optional ally. Kislev is passive. If you do not declare war on them, they normally do not fight you even you are Norsca. Greenskins is your another optional ally as they have a good chance to fight Empire due to their war with the Dwarfs. Tomb kings are all your optional allies as you have big empire easily early on. If you fight HE enough (include hero action), DE can be an optional ally too but now it is too late as you are warring both good guys and bad guys.

I would say, as you already made mistakes in making yourselves into multi-front war, unless you can ally with some big AI players so they can see your common enemies thru shared line of sight and act accordingly and turns your opponents into facing their multi-front war, you have very small chance to win. You have to find Settra and Greenskins. Diplomacy with Settra is a tricky one, you have to be careful what he does not like. Using Greenskins, you have to be fast as they do not afford late game advantages because of technology weaknesses.

Another option is relying on Chaos and beastmen. That way, you may have to speed up your God path.

Overall, I like Norsca campaign a lot and disregarding some unexpected bugs, the siege, the wall, the AI resilience are all quite well done and really give me some rooms to make me think. This is quite a good campaign experience. To Norsca, hard difficulty is hard, while to elite races like Dwarfs, DE, HE and Lizardmen, hard is still easy.
  • chrisff87chrisff87 Registered Users Posts: 4

Your natural enemy is Empire. Fighting them should give you HE as another natural enemy and Vampire as optional ally. Kislev is passive. If you do not declare war on them, they normally do not fight you even you are Norsca. Greenskins is your another optional ally as they have a good chance to fight Empire due to their war with the Dwarfs. Tomb kings are all your optional allies as you have big empire easily early on. If you fight HE enough (include hero action), DE can be an optional ally too but now it is too late as you are warring both good guys and bad guys.

I would say, as you already made mistakes in making yourselves into multi-front war, unless you can ally with some big AI players so they can see your common enemies thru shared line of sight and act accordingly and turns your opponents into facing their multi-front war, you have very small chance to win. You have to find Settra and Greenskins. Diplomacy with Settra is a tricky one, you have to be careful what he does not like. Using Greenskins, you have to be fast as they do not afford late game advantages because of technology weaknesses.

Another option is relying on Chaos and beastmen. That way, you may have to speed up your God path.

Overall, I like Norsca campaign a lot and disregarding some unexpected bugs, the siege, the wall, the AI resilience are all quite well done and really give me some rooms to make me think. This is quite a good campaign experience. To Norsca, hard difficulty is hard, while to elite races like Dwarfs, DE, HE and Lizardmen, hard is still easy.

Talking about Chaos, do they only come once you complete the Level III God path and defeat the Chaos challengers? Chaos hasn't come in my campaign yet and I'm in turn 220 now. But I also have 1 2-stack army of the Chaos challengers that just keeps running away from me, so I haven't killed them yet.
  • TheTreasurerKingTheTreasurerKing Registered Users Posts: 10

Thanks, this is really helpful. I totally agree about the campaign. The difficulties I'm experiencing, although some perhaps easily avoidable if I was more prudent in the early game, make it a very fulfilling experience. I used to play Dark Elves mainly and with them I was usually steamrolling everybody by turn 200 whilst I now have to think (paradoxically as a Norsca) hard about what I'm going to do.

I have now made peace with Kislev and declared war on The Empire. I'm am not warring with bad-guys anymore though, Hellpit was taken by Kislev and I have forged an alliance with (former enemy) Kar Ganeth.

• endurendur Registered Users Posts: 3,943
    chrisff87 said:

Talking about Chaos, do they only come once you complete the Level III God path and defeat the Chaos challengers? Chaos hasn't come in my campaign yet and I'm in turn 220 now. But I also have 1 2-stack army of the Chaos challengers that just keeps running away from me, so I haven't killed them yet.

Yes, you need to kill the challengers first.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,209
    So you have not other Norscan Factions left in your Campaign? having an ally can be useful, and your AI allies can field more armies than you can on your own, even if you own their territories. Did you tried to have better diplomatic relations with your natural allies? the Beastmen and Morathi?
  • RodentofDoomRodentofDoom Registered Users Posts: 582
    Raiding, Looting & Sacking I believe is the key to a stable income for Norscan forces.

As mentioned Lightning Strike should be a priority unlock for you, as it allows you to dictate engagements to keep them more in your favour.

If a town has walls, you only need to maintain a siege long enough to build 1 set of 'engines' ..
    which is 1 to 2 turns for a ram, and 2 to 3 turns for a pair of towers (dependant on your army manpower)
    Eventually you unlock units that remove the need to siege a town before looting it.
    Use a reinforcing stack when attacking very well upgraded settlements.

The 'Occupy' button is a trap, don't fall for it.
  • TheTreasurerKingTheTreasurerKing Registered Users Posts: 10
    Tayvar said:

So you have not other Norscan Factions left in your Campaign? having an ally can be useful, and your AI allies can field more armies than you can on your own, even if you own their territories. Did you tried to have better diplomatic relations with your natural allies? the Beastmen and Morathi?

Beastmen and Morathi are already eliminated I believe. I managed to ally with Skaven, Har Ganeth and Naggarond.

The world now looks like this:

I'm thinking of trying to hold the coast near me, then trying to form an alliance with Greenskins to have a coordinated war against wood elves and the Empire.

Looking at the strength of the Lothern/Empire/Dwarf triad though it might be wise to give up on this campaign but I won't. If anyone has any new suggestions regarding my dire situation it will be much appreciated!