Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: THREE KINGDOMS – E3 Gameplay Reveal

Comments

• RolloSmersonRolloSmerson GermanyPosts: 79Registered Users
    LestaT said:

LestaT said:

Just came back from a 24-hour shift at work and saw this gameplay.

Good:

Very nice looking UI and battle map. I didn't like UI in Rome II nor TOB. Good job art team.
    Really like that units no longer fight one on one. Also, the speed with which axes are swang is amazing, making it look like real melee battle;
    Burning buildings look even better than in Attila. Love that aspect in Attila; and
    Nice to see choreography between two heroes. I personally do not like it in historic total war but for people who are into that kind of stuff is awesome.

Bad:

Old Empire TW engine ( no matter how modified);
    Still small unit sizes, I was expecting 300-500. It is limited by Empire engine;
    Axes look and move very similar to desert axes (Attila) but on steroids;
    At 3:35 man flying is a bit over the top for a historic title;
    Grappling hooks without hooks look silly. No soldiers have died while climbing;
    Once again soldiers that are not climbing awaiting their turn not knowing what to do under the wall looks awful. They should be covering themselves with shields or something;
    Generals speaking broken English is very offputting. I would prefer native tongue or very good English;
    A game about warfare yet again without blood;
    Cavalry initial collision looks garbage; and
    Cavalry overpowering spears is just wrong. Also, not one spearman tried protecting himself also looks very unnatural.
    About the Empire engine, no, that's not the reason units size are as it is. It's more about average players hardware. I modded Rome 2 at a time to have 480 units for cohorts. Cant remember the max value (or even if there's any hardcoded value) but I've modded up to 900 unit size in that game.

If you have powerful pc, unit size us one thing that can be very easily modded.
    This was my first gameplay impressions. Regarding the engine, I do not agree with you, sir. When Atilla came out, I had 980TI and rest of the components to match it. Attila was not running really well even with my hardware. CA does not like to optimise their games. As it seems Three Kingdoms (TK) is using Warhammer II (W2) engine. W2 was way better tuned then Attila or TOB. Therefore I believe they could have improved unit sizes on the battlefield. They decided to spend their time on hero duels. I understand you think Engine is not a fault but I believe that every obstacle can be overcome if you try hard enough. That all I have to say about engine debate.

I was not impressed by what saw during TK gameplay. For example, I was blown away by first Rome II trailer. Even though it was still made with Empire engine, I was able to see visual effect evolution (like many other TW fans I clicked preorder without a second thought). Sadly many other aspects were downgraded since Medival II. In 2018 Empire (warscape whatever number is now) engine looks dated to me. I personally believe they needed new engine and Medival II mechanics (which for me were the best in the series) for new "historic" Total War.

This gameplay looks like a mix between TOB and Warhammer II. I'm just glad CA was honest with us this time by showing what we will be getting. It awesome that fans of Chinese history (fantasy) will be able to get their hands on Total War product, however, this is not for me (I honestly hoped gameplay well blow me away but sadly it hasn't).

I do not talk about engine optimization (it's TW3 engine btw). Simply that this engine allows more than 160 units. That is all. As for the rest, I dont share all you opinion. Not interested to discuss anyway.
    No one is forcing you to discuss anything. Glad you like that game. Have a good one.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,086Registered Users

It's 64 bit so it is different different. Also Atilla and ToB was a step up as it used Large Access Aware which allowed it to take advantage of more memory.

Still small unit sizes, I was expecting 300-500. It is limited by Empire engine;

There's no reason why it can't use larger unit sizes, my computer worked fine with insanely large unit sizes on TW:WH2 using the lab.

Axes look like axes; there's only so many ways you can make them look.

The scene was from the novel/fantasy version and could be a glitch which as just under a year to be sorted.

It's a minor graphical detail that maybe added or not. You only saw 3/4 seconds of climbing how do you know no soldiers died?

Once again soldiers that are not climbing awaiting their turn not knowing what to do under the wall looks awful. They should be covering themselves with shields or something;

The majority have their shield raised.

Generals speaking broken English is very offputting. I would prefer native tongue or very good English;

They speak English; not 'broken English'.

Clearly, they want to sell the game to under 18s. As always it will be added.

Early game, these things always change.

Cavalry overpowering spears is just wrong. Also, not one spearman tried protecting himself also looks very unnatural.

Again, this is when a little knowledge can cause problems. Those spearmen are not braced and they are also low quality, you do not give a spear to city-folk and expect them to hold the line against elite cavalry. That would be unnatural.

It's 64 bit so it is different different. Also Atilla and ToB was a step up as it used Large Access Aware which allowed it to take advantage of more memory.

There's no reason why it can't use larger unit sizes, my computer worked fine with insanely large unit sizes on TW:WH2 using the lab.

Axes look like axes; there's only so many ways you can make them look.

The scene was from the novel/fantasy version and could be a glitch which as just under a year to be sorted.

It's a minor graphical detail that maybe added or not. You only saw 3/4 seconds of climbing how do you know no soldiers died?

The majority have their shield raised.

They speak English; not 'broken English'.

Clearly, they want to sell the game to under 18s. As always it will be added.

Early game, these things always change.

Again, this is when a little knowledge can cause problems. Those spearmen are not braced and they are also low quality, you do not give a spear to city-folk and expect them to hold the line against elite cavalry. That would be unnatural.

Thx for your answer. I completely changed my mind (still have mixed filling about some minor things):

1) Got it, Total War Three Kingdoms has a different engine which would the best version of Warscape engine why would I need new engine;
    2) Can't wait for laboratory DLC for Three Kingdoms;
    3) I know silly me all axes are same no matter if they are made in Europe, Middle East, or China;
    4) You right glitches in a pre-rendered E3 trailer is a new standard, my bad;
    5) Good point, the hook part of the grappling hook is totally irrelevant;
    6) Watch 3:47 to 3:58 no one died during wall scaling scene and You right about shields being raised part (my bad have not slept for 24 hours);
    7) I'm sorry that you can't hear (3:17 and forth) that the person who voiced TW:TK Generals tried to make them sound like they speaking English with Chinese accent from Chinese takeout;
    8) You right teens are the target audience, I should not have written anything about blood and gore in total war title;
    9) See point number 4 in reference to your cavalry collision comment;
    10) My lack of knowledge related to Three Kingdoms universe made me believe that only heavy armoured knights on a heavily armoured horse (from the late medieval period) could do that, thank you for educating me.

As I genuinely said before, I'm glad there is an audience for this product. Good job CA.

• ostrogothostrogoth Senior Member Posts: 481Registered Users
    edited June 2018
    @RolloSmerson
    Your post looks like a written version of LegendofTotalWar's latest whining video. We all know he is negative because he feels wronged by CA. He wants the game to be bad and sees everything from heavily biased, negative point of view. This is a 5min demo of pre-alpha game and criticizing every frame of it is really weird and petty. I think it is too early and we have not seen enough gameplay footage to conclude that much he concluded :) This is what happens when one nitpicks too much.
  • Paddy234Paddy234 Senior Member Posts: 368Registered Users
    I must say i really love the graphics and physics here, battles look much more fluid and charges have more impact, soldiers engaging in melee fight with ferocity rather than standing looking at each other for a few seconds like in some previous titles. Also the duels between heroes reminds me very much like one of my favorite games as a kid, Kessen 1 and 2. This game looks very much like a total war game but with a Asian twist which i'm excited about, my biggest worry was that it was just going to be another total war historical title with the exact same feel as previous games, just a reskin of units, instead we are getting a game that looks be very unique in play-style while still maintaining the core components of Total war
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 780Registered Users
    edited June 2018
    The game does have a very unique approach as compared to all previous games.
    I wouldn’t fear that it would play like the previous games at all.So far its most unique game in series.

I was pleasantly shocked to see them planning to implement Character relationship system, hundreds of characters, banter, subcommanders and duels.
    All things that’s never been even attempted before in a TW game, whether it works....well, we’ll have to see.

If done right it could be the ultimate Three Kingdom game, may the ROTK series finds peace.
    Seriously, its like TW’s deliberately trying to out ROTK ROTK.

Honestly, more interested to see the campaign features than battle, this battle demonstrations frankly lacks the big oomph factor.
    ostrogoth said:

@RolloSmerson
    Your post looks like a written version of LegendofTotalWar's latest whining video. We all know he is negative because he feels wronged by CA. He wants the game to be bad and sees everything from heavily biased, negative point of view. This is a 5min demo of pre-alpha game and criticizing every frame of it is really weird and petty. I think it is too early and we have not seen enough gameplay footage to conclude that much he concluded :) This is what happens when one nitpicks too much.

Thx for letting me know, I'll go watch it right now. Haven't seen his video yet. I thought he was done with total war franchise.

CA called TW: TK - major historic title from the get-go, I was expecting one thing and we're getting a different product. I still had hopes nonetheless. I know there is a historic slider which will be available in TW: TK, however, I'll believe it when I see it.

As for bugs and glitches in the trailer - CA was working on this game since 2015, therefore, I was expecting something more polished to be shown at E3.

I started my original impressions post with positive points about TW: TK. I'm super open minded for an old fan. My opinion is of my own and most likely irrelevant to CA (which I'm ok with). Therefore people please don't take it to heart if you don't agree with me and I'm very excited for all of you who is happy with this product.

I really hope I'm super wrong and TW: TK will have campaign map gameplay mechanics that will rival and surpass Medieval II: Total War.
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 780Registered Users

ostrogoth said:

CA called TW: TK - major historic title from the get-go, I was expecting one thing and we're getting a different product. I still had hopes nonetheless. I know there is a historic slider which will be available in TW: TK, however, I'll believe it when I see it.

I started my original impressions post with positive points about TW: TK. I'm super open minded for an old fan. My opinion is of my own and most likely irrelevant to CA (which I'm ok with). Therefore people please don't take it to heart if you don't agree with me and I'm very excited for all of you who is happy with this product.

I really hope I'm super wrong and TW: TK will have campaign map gameplay mechanics that will rival and surpass Medieval II: Total War.
    I’m sorry but the vanilla Med2 total war’s campaign map mechanics isn’t hard to surpass.
    It has already been surpassed, tho its unit collision might never be.

As far as I can see this game actually TRIES to capture the heart and soul of the era and source material.
    Something that simply isn’t even attempted in Medieval 2.

Having played TW war games both old and new, I couldn’t help but feel that the perception of that game were based upon “insert mod that the author likes” rather than the base game itself.
  • Sughdian WarriorSughdian Warrior Senior Member Posts: 187Registered Users
    I haven't seen anything new here apart from duels, which to be honest I am not a fan of. This is supposed to be a historical title, but of course we have a romanticized version plugged in to keep the fans happy (or a classic mode plugged in to keep the historical fans from complaining, which I don't think worked)
    What is new in terms of AI? How about settlements? I still see uncharacteristically wide alleyways surrounding blocks of impassable districts. The animations, collision - still feel odd. In short - the whole thing feels a slight upgrade from previous titles, like some mod. Doesn't feel fresh. Pandering to the new more fantasy-oriented audiences and neglect of the old-school historical fans is also quite obvious.
    edited June 2018
    1) Got it, Total War Three Kingdoms has a different engine which would the best version of Warscape engine why would I need new engine;

Well may be you could use your obvious knowledge on the exact weaknesses of the Warscape engine. The engine can obviously handle plenty of troops, this is something Warhammer 2 as proved.

May be you'll get one. Plus there could be an issue with how the ultra large units look and perform. The fact is warscape can handle larger unit sizes.

3) I know silly me all axes are same no matter if they are made in Europe, Middle East, or China;

Yes that's right in the same way bows are similar; in the same way swords are similar. Should CA put a nice little dragons head on the handle? Would that be better?

Yes, like most games

In reality a hook is important in terms of physics. In reality the majority of people will not care. Unless you're a Youtuber who lost early access to all Total War games.

6) Watch 3:47 to 3:58 no one died during wall scaling scene and You right about shields being raised part (my bad have not slept for 24 hours);

And? A minor detail that could be added on a whim. They added it in Shogun 2 so it would be easy to add it in 3K, it's a decision that could be made at anytime. But in a list of weaknesses to a game.. if the best is 'people don't fall off ropes' I'd be quite happy if I was CA.

7) I'm sorry that you can't hear (3:17 and forth) that the person who voiced TW:TK Generals tried to make them sound like they speaking English with Chinese accent from Chinese takeout;

Broken English means you speak it incorrectly - they do not. This is what happens when you just repeat an angry Youtuber.

8) You right teens are the target audience, I should not have written anything about blood and gore in total war title;

The E3 is an audience that will be seen by everyone. One day when you have your own successful business you can make these calls. They take out the blood so they can get a wider distribution. They're not legally obliged but they have to deal with media. I realise not an issue for you but usually a concern for any successful business.

See my answer for number 4

10) My lack of knowledge related to Three Kingdoms universe made me believe that only heavy armoured knights on a heavily armoured horse (from the late medieval period) could do that, thank you for educating me.

A heavy horse weighs about a ton, if moving at 20 mile per hour, what force will hit the nervous man holding a spear?

Well may be you could use your obvious knowledge on the exact weaknesses of the Warscape engine. The engine can obviously handle plenty of troops, this is something Warhammer 2 as proved.

May be you'll get one. Plus there could be an issue with how the ultra large units look and perform. The fact is warscape can handle larger unit sizes.

Yes that's right in the same way bows are similar; in the same way swords are similar. Should CA put a nice little dragons head on the handle? Would that be better?

Yes, like most games

In reality a hook is important in terms of physics. In reality the majority of people will not care. Unless you're a Youtuber who lost early access to all Total War games.

And? A minor detail that could be added on a whim. They added it in Shogun 2 so it would be easy to add it in 3K, it's a decision that could be made at anytime. But in a list of weaknesses to a game.. if the best is 'people don't fall off ropes' I'd be quite happy if I was CA.

Broken English means you speak it incorrectly - they do not. This is what happens when you just repeat an angry Youtuber.

The E3 is an audience that will be seen by everyone. One day when you have your own successful business you can make these calls. They take out the blood so they can get a wider distribution. They're not legally obliged but they have to deal with media. I realise not an issue for you but usually a concern for any successful business.

A heavy horse weighs about a ton, if moving at 20 mile per hour, what force will hit the nervous man holding a spear?

Excellent and well-written points. Once again, glad you're getting something you wanted and very passionate about.

edited June 2018
    @RolloSmerson

Equally glad that you shared your highly researched criticisms, I hope it wasn't too tedious watching LegendofTotalWar's video to copy it word for word.
  • GingerRoeBroGingerRoeBro Senior Member Posts: 3,036Registered Users

Yes, like most games

You've got to stop the "angry youtuber" obssesing.
    Bigger Budget for game 3?

They're gonna need it for all of the monogod glory.
    Which will be the "4 distinct gods representing the different aspects of Chaos such as Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, and Nurgle." :blush: ^CA quote

Thank you CA for seeing them as what they truly are.
    Let the Games Begin!
    https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/The_Great_Game

Short but pointless - great to have you onboard kid.
  • IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Posts: 604Registered Users
    edited June 2018

Where are the simple ladders?

I believe they use bamboo poles to get over the walls. It's light and easy to climb, especially after a bit of drill.

Highly unlikely.

Most bamboo don't even grow that high. Only a few of the largest species of bamboo can grow taller than a city wall, and they all get exponentially weaker near the ends.

It is far more cost effective to simply build ladders than try to selectively breed certain types of bamboo and making sure they grow abnormally tall.

Furthermore, a single bamboo would bend horribly when you put a person's body weight on it, especially near the thinner ends. It's also not a smart thing to do to put a person's body weight on a single bamboo pole, let alone multiple people on it.

Also, it's hard to climb a single bamboo pole. It's like climbing a straight tree trunk, and will be very tiring. Also, carrying around a 60 foot bamboo pole is not exactly easy, and will still require multiple people. For example, a 10 foot bamboo 6 inches in diameter weighs about 30 pounds. You're looking at a bamboo pole weighing 150-180 pounds for ones long enough to reach a wall - which would require multiple people to carry.

http://beautifulbamboo.blogspot.com/2015/04/bamboo-pole-sizes-and-weights.html

If you want to use bamboo, then what makes more sense is bamboo ladders. You put two long poles together and add steps...and bam, you have a ladder...which is something that was actually used by armies in history.

edited June 2018
    @Intranetusa

Highly unlikely.

Most bamboo don't even grow that high. Only a few of the largest species of bamboo can grow taller than a city wall, and they all get exponentially weaker near the ends.

It is far more cost effective to simply build ladders than try to selectively breed certain types of bamboo and making sure they grow abnormally tall.

Furthermore, a single bamboo would bend horribly when you put a person's body weight on it, especially near the thinner ends. It's also not a smart thing to do to put a person's body weight on a single bamboo pole, let alone multiple people on it.

Also, it's hard to climb a single bamboo pole. It's like climbing a straight tree trunk, and will be very tiring. Also, carrying around a 60 foot bamboo pole is not exactly easy, and will still require multiple people. For example, a 10 foot bamboo 6 inches in diameter weighs about 30 pounds. You're looking at a bamboo pole weighing 150-180 pounds for ones long enough to reach a wall - which would require multiple people to carry.

http://beautifulbamboo.blogspot.com/2015/04/bamboo-pole-sizes-and-weights.html

If you want to use bamboo, then what makes more sense is bamboo ladders. You put two long poles together and add steps...and bam, you have a ladder...which is something that was actually used by armies in history.

Do you need a hug? Seriously, this for 1 minor point.

The point is in Empire they do have hooks so it could be a place holder for a rope, it looks like it's leaning on the wall so at best it's a place holder.

Most bamboo? Any evidence? Bamboo grows up to 30 metres which I assume is the right size.

Bamboo can easily hold someone's weight, please view many pictures on the internet of people climbing bamboo.

Right... you're trolling me obviously, that link shows pre-defined bamboo sticks you can buy for building. that does not represent how big bamboo grows to.

Now, a word of advice on how to construct a better argument without adding details that will make you look dubious (That website).

"Hey.. where's your evidence that's true?"

There was no need to fall into the trap of making mad points like bamboo is too small because this company only supplies standard sizes.. see?
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,633Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Folks, let's not forget this is just a another game in which to pass our spare time......
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • united84united84 Posts: 603Registered Users
    CA, good reveal but I notice some crossbowmen or hybrid units do not have any quivers on them. Please do consider adding quivers for archers, crossbowmen and hybrid range units. It will make them cooler & more immersive than without one.

The archers on the wall seems to have something tucked to their side, couldn't really tell if its a sword or quiver pouch but nice touch.

• LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,278Registered Users

LestaT said:

LestaT said:

Just came back from a 24-hour shift at work and saw this gameplay.

Good:

Very nice looking UI and battle map. I didn't like UI in Rome II nor TOB. Good job art team.
    Really like that units no longer fight one on one. Also, the speed with which axes are swang is amazing, making it look like real melee battle;
    Burning buildings look even better than in Attila. Love that aspect in Attila; and
    Nice to see choreography between two heroes. I personally do not like it in historic total war but for people who are into that kind of stuff is awesome.

Bad:

About the Empire engine, no, that's not the reason units size are as it is. It's more about average players hardware. I modded Rome 2 at a time to have 480 units for cohorts. Cant remember the max value (or even if there's any hardcoded value) but I've modded up to 900 unit size in that game.

If you have powerful pc, unit size us one thing that can be very easily modded.
    This was my first gameplay impressions. Regarding the engine, I do not agree with you, sir. When Atilla came out, I had 980TI and rest of the components to match it. Attila was not running really well even with my hardware. CA does not like to optimise their games. As it seems Three Kingdoms (TK) is using Warhammer II (W2) engine. W2 was way better tuned then Attila or TOB. Therefore I believe they could have improved unit sizes on the battlefield. They decided to spend their time on hero duels. I understand you think Engine is not a fault but I believe that every obstacle can be overcome if you try hard enough. That all I have to say about engine debate.

I was not impressed by what saw during TK gameplay. For example, I was blown away by first Rome II trailer. Even though it was still made with Empire engine, I was able to see visual effect evolution (like many other TW fans I clicked preorder without a second thought). Sadly many other aspects were downgraded since Medival II. In 2018 Empire (warscape whatever number is now) engine looks dated to me. I personally believe they needed new engine and Medival II mechanics (which for me were the best in the series) for new "historic" Total War.

This gameplay looks like a mix between TOB and Warhammer II. I'm just glad CA was honest with us this time by showing what we will be getting. It awesome that fans of Chinese history (fantasy) will be able to get their hands on Total War product, however, this is not for me (I honestly hoped gameplay well blow me away but sadly it hasn't).

I do not talk about engine optimization (it's TW3 engine btw). Simply that this engine allows more than 160 units. That is all. As for the rest, I dont share all you opinion. Not interested to discuss anyway.
    No one is forcing you to discuss anything. Glad you like that game. Have a good one.

I dont knowbif I like the game cause I did not play it yet :)
  • HunorHunor Posts: 132Registered Users
    Dear CA ! we got any + video at E3 , or only this siege battle ?
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,830Registered Users

Awesome. It seems anti-cavalry formations are back, similar affect to the Square in Napoleon/Empire I imagine. Obviously much like Napoleon/Empire the formation would have to be much denser than this to work but that is just because this is a game ofc.

Also the banners still look great, they add so much to the game IMO.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,589Registered Users
    edited June 2018

Is it from classic mode?
    Those seem like bodyguards.
    The unit size? That is really really good...

Wonder if someone who have eagle eyes can count those units who are encircled.
    edited June 2018
    I was actually really shocked CA didn't release this pic to all the magazines and interviews, it's the best one I think, love that circular formation. Also the animation of that centre formation is quite technical, the guys kneeling attack in a particular way and the guys in the back row use overarm strikes.
  • IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Posts: 604Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

Is it from classic mode?

That's a pretty good looking formation. Now if only they can add crossbowmen to pike formations and have the pikes kneel to allow crossbows to fire over them...but that might be asking for too much.
    Ah it's actually the novel mode, I can see Lu Bu in the centre of the circular formation.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 10,048Registered Users
    The spear circle is so much better than the square. I hated how poorly men fought in square formation at the corners in previous titles.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 10,048Registered Users
    The question is whether you can actually fight in all those corridors and squares, wouldn't be the first screenshot edited gameplay for effect.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,830Registered Users

jamreal18 said:

Is it from classic mode?

That's a pretty good looking formation. Now if only they can add crossbowmen to pike formations and have the pikes kneel to allow crossbows to fire over them...but that might be asking for too much.
    They will definitely not have mixed units. That is wishful thinking at best. They will probably have Pikemen and Crossbowmen so you could have crossbows out front who can quickly be guarded by Pikes in theory but pike and shot formations like that IMO are highly unlikely.
  • GingerRoeBroGingerRoeBro Senior Member Posts: 3,036Registered Users

Short but pointless - great to have you onboard kid.

I think you should take dge1's advice and remember this is just a game son.

I bet you just need a hug
    Bigger Budget for game 3?

They're gonna need it for all of the monogod glory.
    Which will be the "4 distinct gods representing the different aspects of Chaos such as Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, and Nurgle." :blush: ^CA quote

Thank you CA for seeing them as what they truly are.
    Let the Games Begin!
    https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/The_Great_Game