Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Norsca Vs High Elf

onchristieroadonchristieroad Registered Users Posts: 80
In ME, I've taken out the enemies in the Old World and am noticing HEs are getting a bit massive by picking on the poor Dark Elves. I am not looking forward to their ridiculous armies, but need to take them out. Any tips on either army composition or tactics?

Comments

• SilferSilfer Registered Users Posts: 418

In ME, I've taken out the enemies in the Old World and am noticing HEs are getting a bit massive by picking on the poor Dark Elves. I am not looking forward to their ridiculous armies, but need to take them out. Any tips on either army composition or tactics?

Full mounster unit and you will beat them so fast that they will cry for malekith help them
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,970
    Do NOT go full monster, the dragons and the ARROWS will eat you alive.

High Elves aren't that great in a straight fight. Bring lots of things with shields, and simply overwhelm them. Be prepared for acceptable losses. Any Norscan that falls in battle is unworthy of the gods, anyway.
  • SilferSilfer Registered Users Posts: 418
    Itharus said:

High Elves aren't that great in a straight fight. Bring lots of things with shields, and simply overwhelm them. Be prepared for acceptable losses. Any Norscan that falls in battle is unworthy of the gods, anyway.

If the monster reach the archer the arrow will not eat them ;)

Your way give him more losses, but it depend to him chose how he will aproach anyway
  • Theo91Theo91 Registered Users Posts: 1,773
    Skin wolves for the dragons. A couple of mammoths for the front line and archers. Ice wolves for archers and some marauder champions to munch on everything else
  • RazmirthRazmirth Registered Users Posts: 2,235
    You gotta beat their ranged line, and probably their dragons. Be aware they may bring a bit of anti large with Phoenix guard, and sword masters will still punish anything they fight in melee except maybe mammoths or frost wyrms.

I’d have a core of maurader champions with shields to march forward in front of everything, mixed in with 2 mammoths or giants to soak up ranged. Your main damage is gonna be coming from your units like skin wolves for anti large, fimir for heavy infantry and chariots. Chariots are great vs an infantry heavy high elf stack, which they usually bring. Switch ice wolf chariots to melee and they will do fine as well.

If they are bringing a lot of large units just bring more wolves, maybe some hunters (since they have anti-large) which should Deal with them fine.
    Silfer said:

Itharus said:

If the monster reach the archer the arrow will not eat them ;)

Your way give him more losses, but it depend to him chose how he will aproach anyway
    Economically I come out far ahead, though :-P
  • PTreePTree Registered Users Posts: 639
    As a HE player, I find chariots the hardest unit to deal with.
    ... how?

You have artillery, you have your OWN chariots, you have endless walls of spears....

... just... how...?

Are you sure you didn't mean to say "as a Dwarf player" ? o_O
    edited June 2018
    Itharus said:

... how?

You have artillery, you have your OWN chariots, you have endless walls of spears....

... just... how...?

It depends what they bring. If they are bringing all sea guard and sword masters/Phoenix guard, chariots aren’t nearly as effective. But if they have a lot of plain archer units and a few bolt throwers, I find chariots can do well, especially vs the AI.

But Any intelligent player will bring lothern sea guard over archers. I get it, they have a lower unit count then either regular spearman or archers, and they have their uses. I Use lothern seaguard as a front ranged line and pull them back once enemy gets close. Then I move them to the flanks to protect vs any Calvary or ranged skirmishes while Phoenix guard and sword masters go to work.

So I think chariots would only work well vs AI.
  • tremor3258tremor3258 Registered Users Posts: 61
    High elf units get bonuses at high health; so bring some wind-style attack magic and weaken their lines.

A late game high elf army is going to have dragons, Phoenix Guard, swordmasters, plenty of magic, lothern sea guard,and dragons.

The biggest problem is Norsca has a lot of strength in their monsters, but so do high elves and they have really good archery too. That much archery screams 'bring shields' but this is late game. Everything in the line wlll have armor at this point, so if you can get the cash, bring great weapon marauder champions and fimir. High elf archery isn't armor piercing so they'll still have some protection.

Mammoths can do a lot of damage, but don't bring feral - without armor they're a big dead pincushion. The better ones may still be big dead pincushions but they'll make the line. And if they soak up that much arrow fire they're not shooting literally the rest of the army.

Skin Wolves are ridiculous against cavalry of all sorts and are really fast. I've seen them send demigryphs running. Bring armored ones if you can, for extra arrow protection, and use them to guard against flankers and anti-dragon/chariot/dragon prince duty. You can send them to flank, too, they're solid. They're also small unit count and fast so dragon breath is less of a problem.

Horsemen are basically dead if lothern sea guard can be ready for them. So don't put them near the batlte line until people are engaged. But with vanguard they're a good, reasonably priced remover of bolt throwers. Grab throwing axes and you can hurl them into the backs of phoenix guard and sea guard once they're done and those forces are engaged by your line.

And take heart - when you beat their armies, Ulthuan is full of ports and will probably give incredible riches when sacked. Also the dark elves will probably love you so: trading partner.

Ya'all seriously underestimate a good marauder core.
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 3,016
    Itharus said:

Without shields Marauders are basically just walking pincushions... The standard Marauders do not fare much better, due to the low armour. So unless you mean a core of CHampions, which will get destroyed by Swordmasters (hell even White Lions put a dent in them), then Marauders alone will not do the trick.
    Itharus said:

I like marauder berserkers a lot actually. I usually mix a few of them in with some marauder champions earlier, but once you start getting fimir, skin wolves and the like I find they are outshone by those other units. But that’s ok, they act like cheap witch elves early game!

Itharus said:

Without shields Marauders are basically just walking pincushions... The standard Marauders do not fare much better, due to the low armour. So unless you mean a core of CHampions, which will get destroyed by Swordmasters (hell even White Lions put a dent in them), then Marauders alone will not do the trick.
    Combined arms, man, combined arms.
  • PTreePTree Registered Users Posts: 639
    Itharus said:

... how?

... just... how...?

I find they can take a huge amount of arrow fire before you touch their health, and that means you are not firing at the oncoming rush of chaos or Norse warriors/trolls etc... The best way of dealing with them for me is to throw a cavalry unit at them, or use my Ellyrion reavers to lead them away to the edge. But if they get into my lines, I find they are a pain in the ass - super tanky.
    Don't waste your arrows. Just bog them down in spearmen. Your artillery will also work. Keep a unit of white lions in reserve to join the fray after you bog the chariots down - or use halberds. They will die fast. You also have armored shock cav and your own chariots. And do NOT charge a unit of infantry into moving chariots. Slap backspace before they hit so that they get slowed down - THEN attack them.
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 3,874
    Fimir Balefiends with Great Weapons.

The only unit that the HE's can field which has a chance of slowing them down are PG. They have built in missile resistance and are anti large themselves. Splash in some Ice wolf chariots, some mammoths, and a core of some form of shielded marauder. Either regular or champion.

Honestly if you just drop Throgg off on Ulthuan with an all monster mash army he will have no trouble burning Ulthuan to the ground. They have no super effective way of stopping Fimir led by him.
  • Total War ftwTotal War ftw Member Registered Users Posts: 1,272
    I managed to make em a military ally and then my vassal by attacking DE relentlessly the entire game lolz. Now I have their doom stacks at my disposal and they give me $ every turn and they have a good portion of the map!
    How'd you get them to be vassals? I can't seem to EVER make vassalage work.