Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Please change Boiling Oil

cool_ladcool_lad Senior MemberIndiaPosts: 1,897Registered Users
I think that boiling oil for gatehouses doesn't add much to the game. While it does make going through the gatehouse hazardous, the hazard can be easily sidestepped using siege towers; additionally, it also makes the use of rams futile since the troops using the open gate still take massive casualties when passing through it.

The boiling oil also creates problems when it is deployed on your own troops pursuing routing enemies or going through the gate at the same time as enemy troops.

I think that the boiling oil is more of a frustration than a feature and should be removed or at least have it's damage component reduced or replaced altogether by a debuff effect instead.

Comments

• Jim1974Jim1974 Member Posts: 80Registered Users
    Not to mention it sounds like an old fashioned toilet flushing.
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 3,076Registered Users
    Agreed the bug at launch where it didn't work I thought was the result of them actually playing battles.

Boiling oil is stupidly op. It basically makes the gates unassailable. Perhaps give it to tier 4 or 5 walls. I would be ok with that.
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,343Registered Users
    Not even sure it was a thing in the period - I mainly think of it with Roman engineering and Medieval castles, but we're in a period between the two with this game.

I say put it in the siege tech tree with the catapults.
  • zmey_gorinichzmey_gorinich Senior Member Posts: 207Registered Users
    edited June 19
    I think, the oil is fine. If the attacker outnumbers the defender near the gate, the oil gets disabled (and the towers magically crumble) so, one really has to "manage" defense for the oil to be useful.

I rather feel that the gate control circle should be much larger (inside the settlement). otherwise, the AI bum-rushing the gates results in quick destruction of the towers as the player cannot put enough units inside the small circle (unless stacking units on top of each other) to keep the control of the area.
  • cool_ladcool_lad Senior Member IndiaPosts: 1,897Registered Users
    The big problem with the oil is that it makes rams utterly pointless since they become clearly inferior to the siege towers.

The big advantage of rams is supposedly the fact that you can stream in more troops through the game, while those using siege towers will find themselves outnumbered when fighting on the walls, going through the gate runs the risk inherent in using any chokepoint in that one well placed unit can hold a large number of your forces and allow the defenders to shore up other areas; the reality is that the advantage for gates goes out of the window when half your troops are killed just going through the gate.

It's just plain bad design to make one option so clearly superior to the other.
    cool_lad said:

The big problem with the oil is that it makes rams utterly pointless since they become clearly inferior to the siege towers.

The big advantage of rams is supposedly the fact that you can stream in more troops through the game, while those using siege towers will find themselves outnumbered when fighting on the walls, going through the gate runs the risk inherent in using any chokepoint in that one well placed unit can hold a large number of your forces and allow the defenders to shore up other areas; the reality is that the advantage for gates goes out of the window when half your troops are killed just going through the gate.

It's just plain bad design to make one option so clearly superior to the other.

That I can agree with. Oil should be something that you need to work for (a high level of wall or tech) as it used to be in other TW games.

As to towers: they currently allow the enemy to dump a huge number of troops on the walls instantly. I've seen AI send 3-4 units almost at once.

Also, so far, I have not been able to ignite any of the towers.
  • HugothesterHugothester Senior Member Posts: 438Registered Users
    cool_lad said:

This.

And there is a city in which it is IMPOSSIBLE to attack. It is the one with the huge cliff. If you attack through the 300 like cliff you get destroyed by arrows, you cannot use the sea route since in multiplayer sieges you cannot use ships, and the only gate left is a small door with no space for siege towers, so you can only use the ram, which is useless because once you destroy the gate the oil destroys you.

If you ram a door oil should stop coming out of it.
    Biggest Spanish total war youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/user/hugothester

cool_lad said:

Um... No... If you ram the gate, the oil is still being poured from the gatehouse above.

But yes, that 300 map is unassailable if you're playing against a human.
  • HugothesterHugothester Senior Member Posts: 438Registered Users

cool_lad said:

Um... No... If you ram the gate, the oil is still being poured from the gatehouse above.

But yes, that 300 map is unassailable if you're playing against a human.
    Yeah, that is what I meant, if you ram and destroy the gate the oil is still poured on your troops, even though gates are destroyed, which makes the raming machines useless :(
    Biggest Spanish total war youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/user/hugothester
  • billybob1billybob1 Posts: 39Registered Users
    They could have it as a limited use option that you use like a skill - as it would have been in real life. Where you can kill the units that man the oil drums too.
    Also have rams and their massive roofs be a protection against it.
    Perhaps you can research more oil or different types of stuff to throw, with oil being the top, e.g. starting with rocks.

At very least have the ability to turn it off so when a stray routing single enemy soldier goes through it doesn't teamkill all of your fresh cavalry rushing through the just captured gate.