Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

So let's talk about Razorgors

VegetableVegetable Registered Users Posts: 17
So I'm not sure about everyone else, but in my experience, Razorgors are generally not at all worth bringing. Which is a shame! Because honestly, they're a really cool unit, that in theory should provide the Beastmen with a hard-hitting AP unit more akin to heavy cavalry than Centigors.

Problem is, they just don't seem worth it.

One of the big issues I've noticed with them, is that they're really bad in prolonged combat due to their low melee attack (and defence), so you need to rely on their charge to deal most of the damage, which I'd say is one of their biggest strengths. The problem is that they rampage, meaning chances are you won't be able to pull them out, and even if you do, there'll often be one or two that don't pull out (though to be fair, that doesn't seem specific to them), so they'll stick around in melee combat where they'll get butchered because of their low melee defence.

Personally, what I'd like to see done is to have rampage removed and their melee attack increased, alongside a buff to their health and potentially defence, alongside to a cost increase to make them more of a high tier option than a 600 gold unit. Though honestly, regardless of how they're changed, I just want them to be good, because there are no other Beastmen units like them, and frankly, an army roster that is missing some of its coolest units doesn't need to have its options cut short by a unit that is just not worth using.

If anyone else has thoughts on the state of Razorgors, I'd love ot hear them! I'm definitely not an amazing player and what I've stated are just my own observations on the matter.

Comments

• Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 3,760
    edited June 2018
    Currently they require micro but they have rampage which is a terrible combination.

I like their cost since they are a warbeast and warbeasts are lower price pointed units for every roster. I am ok with them being a rampage unit since they are wild boars. They do need to be a sturdier unit though since they have rampage and this would result in less of a need for micromanagement.
  • ystyst Registered Users Posts: 7,172
    One of those forgotten units made worse by rampage. Units like this r extremely hard to balance due to the fact they r like 0 pick rate lol, no one ever, ever use them.

In my experience with them, they can be quite nice when charging the any armoured 2h, its almost instantaneous a winning trade the moment u hit them. For example they r able to destroy squires quite nicely. They r just really good against armoured inf. Thats all i can say really, its a really nice alternative to using gors to fight infantry.

Its good u mention them coz i pretty much completely forgot about them. Looks like a really nice choice for flanking.

They r the cheapest fast speed ap charger for beastman, so that has to count for something despite not being an amazing unit.
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
  • glosskilosglosskilos Registered Users Posts: 1,193
    edited June 2018
    I was just thinking about squigs, which are in a similar situation. Maybe my idea for them would work for razorgors as well.

I was thinking that since these two units have rampage to balance them out, we could buff them back to the king and the warlord level of strength. Bring back the squigs go wild ability, and a similar one for razorgors, making them unbreakable while in combat for a period of time.

During the king and the warlord squigs were op, but rampage could help to balance them out. I think squigs and razorgors should be units where you charge them to the target you want and let them rampage. Once in combat they should do good damage and be very hard to break, but completely out of control.
    Post edited by glosskilos on
  • VegetableVegetable Registered Users Posts: 17

I was just thinking about squigs, which are in a similar situation. Maybe my idea for them would work for razorgors as well.

I was thinking that since these two units have rampage to balance them out, we could buff them back to the king and the warlord level of strength. Bring back the squigs go wild ability, and a similar one for razorgors, making them unbreakable while in combat for a period of time.

During the king and the warlord squigs were op, but rampage could help to balance them out. I think squigs and razorgors should be units where you charge them to the target you went and let them rampage. Once in combat they should do good damage and be very hard to break, but completely out of control.

I like that idea! And I agree that they fulfill a similar role, I actually recall thinking about how similar they are at some point. In the case of Razorgors, maybe an increase to health, attack and defence would do the trick, with a slight reduction to their charge bonus.
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,105
    They’re already solid I think. If you want cheap AP swarm they give you that option.
  • TellTale_ScarTellTale_Scar Registered Users Posts: 411
    @glosskilos I like that idea, and I feel that is how rampage is really intended. It should be for those beasts you have initial control over to pretty much steer them in the sort of right engagement and then "let them loose." Rampage should be more than just losing command, but actual rampaging in a whirlwind of destruction that is generally not good for the unit itself (but isn't really good for anything around it either!).
  • MrMecHMrMecH Registered Users Posts: 2,283
    edited June 2018
    The other ways is increase their melee stats and lower their leadership just like Troll. That would make them flee away from enemy line before get a casualty. Next they automatically charge again by rampage. This will make their high Charge Bonus not drag down by rampage.

[Buff]

Health 186 > 200
    Melee Attack 24 > 27
    Melee Defense 16 > 20
    Armour 50 > 60

[Debuff]

Leadership 55 > 38
    Post edited by MrMecH on
    SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

• Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 3,760
    I don't think razorghors should be classified as large entities. Warbeasts in general shouldn't be either. Being an additional non large AP source would make them more worthwhile to the beastmen roster.
  • VegetableVegetable Registered Users Posts: 17
    MrMecH said:

The other ways is increase their melee stats and lower their leadership just like Troll. That would make them flee away from enemy line before get a casualty. Next they automatically charge again by rampage. This will make their high Charge Bonus not drag down by rampage.

[Buff]

Health 186 > 200
    Melee Attack 24 > 27
    Melee Defense 16 > 20
    Armour 50 > 60

[Debuff]

Leadership 55 > 38

That's an intruiging idea. Though I do feel like having them rout and then 'automatically' charging due to rampage feels... A little clumsy, I guess? I much prefer the idea of them just sticking around in combat and kicking ass.

I don't think razorghors should be classified as large entities. Warbeasts in general shouldn't be either. Being an additional non large AP source would make them more worthwhile to the beastmen roster.

I disagree with this. I mean, have you seen the things? They're easily larger than a horse! Besides, simply making them immune to spears alone isn't going to fix them, as they're underperforming even against non-Anti-Large infantry. Not to mention, the purpose of anti-large units is in part taking on fast movers, and having some of the fastest ground units in the game without that weakness would make them perhaps a little too good. Besides, it would be unfair towards those factions whose equivilant units are cavalry (like Bretonnia with their mounted yeomen and DE with their Dark Riders.)
  • Berg_Of_The_WestBerg_Of_The_West Registered Users Posts: 528
    edited June 2018
    They currently function like a hybrid between chariots and war hounds...

However.... they don't hit as hard as chariots and they don't chew up skirmishers or light units very well... And they rampage.... Which is kinda weird that war hounds don't rampage out of control if you think about it.

Also... from my experience their charge animation/mechanic kinda derps out a lot and cause them to do very pathetic charges with little-to-no impact nor damage.
  • SlinGnBulletSSlinGnBulletS Registered Users Posts: 168
    their low defense makes sense but their low attack doesn't. give them a buff in melee attack.
  • ba18070ba18070 Registered Users Posts: 178
    They need a tune up of probably +10 armor, +5md and +10 charge bonus and that will make them cost effective. Right now they just arent by a long shot which is a shame because I friggin love piggies in game.