Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: ROME II - The Ancestral Update Beta

CA_EllaCA_Ella Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team Posts: 336
edited July 2018 in General Discussion

The long-awaited Family Tree for ROME II is here!

The free Ancestral Update introduces this community favourite feature along with numerous tweaks, fixes, and improvements to ROME II’s base game and DLCs.

The update is currently in open beta to ensure it works for all users before release, and will therefore require you to opt in.

Find out more about the Ancestral Update - including how to opt in - here: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-rome-ii-ancestral-update

EDIT: Experiencing any bugs or technical issues? Report them here: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/222605/official-ancestral-update-issues-thread/
Post edited by CA_Ella on

Comments

• ReadyYourBreakfastReadyYourBreakfast Registered Users Posts: 8
    CA, I love you.
  • BenjinBenjin Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 256
    edited July 2018
    "Family trees!"
    "In battle, ships in will now be able to leave their disembarking area by shifting in reverse, making room for more ships to land"
    "Number of household ancillaries has been increased from 1 to 3"
    "Number of character traits has been increased from 3 to 6"
    "Reinforcement range is now visible as an area, not only as blinking arrows"
    "Added MSAA anti-aliasing."
    "Added “Clouds shadow” option to shadows"
    "Added an option for near the camera objects fading (on/off)"
    "'Hide foliage' option has a shortcut set to Ctrl+F by default"
    "Improved building LOD distances for Extreme/Ultra to be really extreme and ultra (x3 times greater)"
    "Improved shadow quality & performance."
    "Heavy rain weather VFX in battle now occasionally replaced with stormy rain weather (with lightning flashes)"
    "Ships now render in water reflections"
    "Reduced terrain and grass reflectivity in rainy weather"
    "Improved night lighting of units. Torch light is now animated and casts shadows on higher settings"
    "Improved river shader in battles: shallow river water is more visible, won’t vanish when near the camera, specular and shadows improved"

Oh my god, yes!

It's like a dream... it is a dream.

Currently working on a whole lot more, stay tuned.
  • the_real_weedthe_real_weed Member Registered Users Posts: 241
    OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

CA i love you for that
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 687
    That looks good. I was hoping to get a DLC announcement as well though.
  • mammolo1234mammolo1234 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 275
    Simply wonderful. A wonderful game that gets even better!
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam - In the end, I think that Carthago must be destroyed
  • NeoYasNeoYas Registered Users Posts: 670
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,698
    Fair play to you, CA. Great to see an older game still getting some love from devs.
  • tremor3258tremor3258 Registered Users Posts: 61
    Ships leaving the beach after disembarking- the functionality from Attila I deeply, deeply wanted in any Roman naval invasion.
  • MarcusIuniusBrutusMarcusIuniusBrutus Senior Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 1,739
  • lilsweetcaligulalilsweetcaligula Registered Users Posts: 285
    edited July 2018
    Woah, as I was going through the list of changes, I could not help but admire the vast corpus of work that has been done in the update by the dev team. I do some dev work as well, albeit web-related, but the complexity that the Rome II dev team had to tackle in the update is incredible.

Thank you!!!

Amazing.
    My personal favorite Total War games chart:
    I. Attila
    II. Rome II
    III. Napoleon
  • ZanatisZanatis Registered Users Posts: 39
    Yeah wow family tree, we can choose our heir. Ok but what about the DLC? At least reveal the map.
  • InocybeInocybe Registered Users Posts: 154
    No walled Syracuse :/
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,347
    Very impressive, CA. Thank you!
    Team Mercia

Team Picts

Team WRE
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,551
    Still not revealing the dlc.
  • LeverkinLeverkin Registered Users Posts: 38
  • Donofwar3Donofwar3 Registered Users Posts: 62
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,544
    Simply amazing!

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS and TROY campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Hector, Menelaus, Odysseus, Sarpedon.
  • acroguePatrickacroguePatrick Registered Users Posts: 332
    Thanks for this excellent update. Really glad of this. And I thought RII had long been abandoned.

Please add new city siege maps and new battlefields similar to TOB, W2 always gets new maps and RII doesn't :(

TED would be nice!
  • mcar110mcar110 Member United KingdomRegistered Users Posts: 445
    edited July 2018
    The campaign map looks a hell of a lot better! Great Patch CA!

A walled Syracuse would be nice too....
  • BoicoteBoicote Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 752
    edited July 2018
    CA said:

- Family trees!
    - In battle, ships in will now be able to leave their disembarking area by shifting in reverse, making room for more ships to land
    - Added an option for near the camera objects fading (on/off)
    - Hide foliage' option has a shortcut set to Ctrl+F by default
    - Shield Wall, Hoplite Wall and Testudo will not be broken by the fast-move command and will move in formation to the target until they reach change distance

OMG! Great patch! It's a dream come true. I’m downloading the beta right now to give it a try.

The game now just needs a trade/naval overhaul and a new UI to be nearly perfect.
    Ah, and if you want to add civilians to battles (just like in Attila), I would be pleased. :smiley:

Post edited by Boicote on
    Please add faction intros!!!!!
    The best part is the lightening and stormy weather stuff that we had in Shogun 2! Love it!
  • AriyanAriyan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 505
    edited July 2018
    Thanks,
    i downloaded Ancestral patch but when i launch the game it say

Attial and empire ect...work well this only happen when i launch rome 2 anyone have same problem??

and about dlc i really hope to see rise of persia

edit: restrat my pc and problem solved its ok guys dont worry
    ◢==◣
    Brave As Lion
    Parthian Royal Cataphract
    Roman soldiers prefer to suffer any fate rather than look a Sassanid Savaran in the face
    Libianus XVIII PP.205_11
    Sarbazan.....HAMLEEEEEEE!!!!!!
    http://www.persepolis.nu/timeline.htm
  • AdmiralJelloAdmiralJello Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 509
    Holy cow I never saw this coming. Not just the family trees but all of those greatly needed fixes. Naval landings!

I also appreciate the cultural skill trees and increase in trait and ancillary counts. Sorely needed and well appreciated.

I’m very curious to see how the family tree works for Roman names. Will the gens Julia finally have family members all bearing the name Julius?? I hope so!

One Q: I didn’t see this in the bug fixes — is the ED bug with Zenobia’s mouth not moving during dialogue fixed?
    I. Attila
    II. Rome II
    III. Napoleon
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,923
    This is magnificent. Despite the bells and whistles of Warhammer, and all the flaws this had at launch, this has been my favorite Total War game in the past 11.5 years. Now it is nearly flawless.

And a special toast to the team that worked on this game. They kept an open mind, listened to all the feedback,ignored the fanboy fervor, behaved humbly and maturely in the face of backlash, never acted defensive or insulted community members for posting criticism. Can't say the same about the rest of Creative Assembly. Now we have a fundamentally improved game quite unrecognizable from the one at launch. Well done!
  • CeldaricCeldaric Registered Users Posts: 8
    This be glorious!! In the beta right now, hunting for bugs like Caesar hunted for Pompey xD

Also just a question/suggestion, will the garrisons for settlements be expanded? as to increase in size as you upgrade the settlement-building?
    I feel like that would be a good thing, as to reinforce your cities without the need for having armies hanging about.

And maybe if not an expanded settlement-garrison, maybe a specific Garrison-building like there is in Attila's Western Roman Empire, and Warhammer 1 and 2? :)
  • ReadyYourBreakfastReadyYourBreakfast Registered Users Posts: 8
    hold on... was it always like this or did the zoom range on the battle map just get doubled? Either way, the visual changes on battle and Campaign Maps are INSANE! this patch is a way bigger improvement than the power&politics one. I am absolutely blown away. Great job to the studio that worked on this.

Anyway, since this thread is supposed to be for useful feedback, I noticed a minor nuisance: when zooming in on the battle map, the cloud shadows that are close to the camera start disappearing, creating this weird lighting contrast on the grass in the front. Not sure if this can be fixed, and honestly i wouldn't mind much if it weren't, but it's the only issue i've found so far.
    edited July 2018
    @ReadyYourBreakfast

Hmm, interesting! There has been a thread set up for bug reports, we may report the bugs we find here:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/222605/official-ancestral-update-issues-thread/
    I. Attila
    II. Rome II
    III. Napoleon
  • kmansp38kmansp38 Registered Users Posts: 191
    edited July 2018

hold on... was it always like this or did the zoom range on the battle map just get doubled? Either way, the visual changes on battle and Campaign Maps are INSANE! this patch is a way bigger improvement than the power&politics one. I am absolutely blown away. Great job to the studio that worked on this.

Anyway, since this thread is supposed to be for useful feedback, I noticed a minor nuisance: when zooming in on the battle map, the cloud shadows that are close to the camera start disappearing, creating this weird lighting contrast on the grass in the front. Not sure if this can be fixed, and honestly i wouldn't mind much if it weren't, but it's the only issue i've found so far.

I gotta say, starting a new campaign with the beta I immediately noticed the graphic difference- it's like night and day. Very nice.
    i7 7700K 4.7 Ghz
    Nvidia Duke 1080 8GB
    16 GB Ram
    500GB SSD
    Windows 10