Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

CAI Issues and Suggestions

RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 2,353
edited July 2018 in Ancestral Update Support
Hello. First off, you've all done a great job with the game. I'm really impressed with the updates you've put out and hope to see more.

A big issue with the game is the CAI. As stated in Ephraim's post, the CAI can be very docile and does not tend to match the player's expansion. Also, when they do tend to create large empires, they are usually just protected with 1-3 armies, making them pushovers to the player's forces.

I made mods to fix these issues but the issue is that playing vanilla, the Very Hard difficulty isn't very hard at all.

If the AI could be made a bit more aggressive both in offensive actions and their tendency to declare war on factions they dislike and built more armies as they expanded, I believe the game would be much better for it and present a much more challenging game for the player on the higher difficulties.

Thank you for your time and attention in this matter.
Team Mercia

Team Picts

Team WRE

Comments

• ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 31,252
    This is for the most part caused by the overabundance of money and therefore the ability of the player to raise a lot of armies quickly. The AI is much bolder when that irregularity is curtailed.

• RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,353

This is for the most part caused by the overabundance of money and therefore the ability of the player to raise a lot of armies quickly. The AI is much bolder when that irregularity is curtailed.

If that’s true, I’ll settle with your proposed economic changes. Tying unit upkeep to imperium was a great idea.

I do feel though, that the AI does t recruit enough armies to keep up with the player
    Team Mercia

Team Picts

Team WRE
  • happycompyhappycompy Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 355
    Have any of you tried that new mod in the workshop called "ai creates massive armies" ?
    HappyCompy's Rome 2 video emporium

Completed Campaigns:
    ETW: Italian States, Mughal Empire

Shogun 2: Uesegi, Date, Shoni

Rome II: Rome, Venetii, Bastarnians, Pontus, Athens

Attila: Franks (minor), Vandals (cultural)
  • wolphyxwolphyx Registered Users Posts: 43
    This one, right? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1431419896

Yes, and it definitely makes the AI spend its money on armies whenever it can instead of just sitting on it, maybe a little extreme, even. I haven't played a long campaign with it yet, though.

But I'm familiar with the issue. In vanilla, I sometimes encounter one-region-factions that show up as "wealthy" in the diplomacy screen and I always wonder well, if you're so rich, why don't you raise some badass armies and conquer some settlements?

Maybe the team can have a look at what this mod does in the db tables and evaluate if some of the changes could be incorporated in a future update.
  • MarcusIuniusBrutusMarcusIuniusBrutus Senior Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 1,739
    Some AI factions have a defensive CAI, some a offensive CAI. Thats the reason. At the moment the campaign map has a good balance of both. I don´t want a Rome II, where the AI like in Attila is sending fullstack after fullstack against the player. Unenyoayable boring steady grindgame.

Definitely a clear NO against "Let the AI invest most of its money in armies" changes.

And despite the mod autors claim the opposite: the AI wasted its money in armies, instead of investing in economy.

And the Patch notes said that some army compositions are reworked.

• RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,353
    Yeah, I have my own mod that address the issue called More AI Armies. It’s not as extreme as the one you’re talking about. That one would be terrible for lower end computers. My mod just lets the AI invest more into their armies but doesn’t go further to take money away from other areas to do so
    Team Mercia

Team Picts

Team WRE
  • MarcusIuniusBrutusMarcusIuniusBrutus Senior Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 1,739
    Your military spending increase in your mod is at least modest. ;)
  • wolphyxwolphyx Registered Users Posts: 43
    @RonBurgundy Yes, your's is the one I'm using per default, and for me, it does it's job well enough without going overboard. Only had a short test with the other one.

@MarcusIuniusBrutus I agree with you, especially the spending Bias changes of the aforementioned mod struck me as a little extreme. I also like some defensive Allies that don't drag me into their wars at every opportunity (Knossos = Best Buddy, I'm allied with them in nearly every campaign)
  • happycompyhappycompy Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 355
    The aggression issue is relatively easy if a little time consuming to fix. It's something I've spent many hours on in the Community Patch.

As a bonus I've also fixed the AI declaring war & then asking for peace immediately afterwards.

Basically, there's 2 or 3 tables you need to edit here, primarily. I'm on my phone so bear with me, I will post screen shots if need be.

First is cai_task_generator. Go ahead and copy over the "defensive" values from Attila or Warhammer. I've tried the aggressive values but that just makes the AI expand irresponsibly & have large, undefended empires which are easy to tackle. Defensive makes them survive longer.

Next is cai_deal_evaluation or something along those lines. It essentially tells the AI what to do to a given faction based on their diplomatic relations level with that faction. Ron Bugrundy uses it in his more aggressive ai mod. For "peace," copy over the Warhammer values for "aggressive_unreliable_lategame." This stops the DoW followed by instant peace request because it makes the AI really need its ass kicked in order for it to sue for peace.

You can leave the rest of the stuff vanilla if you want, or pick and choose which tables to adjust based on your personal preference (Warhammer has a superior AI so I tend to copy its values).

I hope this helps.

P.S. I plan on using that AI creates more armies mod in my next play through. I'm curious how insane it will be haha.
    HappyCompy's Rome 2 video emporium

Completed Campaigns:
    ETW: Italian States, Mughal Empire

Shogun 2: Uesegi, Date, Shoni

Rome II: Rome, Venetii, Bastarnians, Pontus, Athens

Attila: Franks (minor), Vandals (cultural)