Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Who else is sick of these lore and history purists?

Sage_of_SalemSage_of_Salem Posts: 8Registered Users
Total War is a VIDEO GAME. I want to have FUN and NOT LEARN history.

If I wanted to learn actual history, I OPEN A BOOK instead of complain on a VIDEO GAME FORUM.

These whiners remind me of those Battlefield V losers who complain that women don't belong in the game because of "history" reasons.

IT'S A DAMN VIDEO GAME YOU MORONS. How about you open up a book for once and LEARN actual history?

Comments

• herman925herman925 Junior Member Posts: 13Registered Users
    Some degree of fantasy is definitely alirhght. But a far-fetched Chinese-skinned Total War game doesn't cut it. I guess people are right to be upset if almost no materials were referenced. And honestly, BFV is a bad example. This has nothing to do with 'the unseen or untold history' as what DICE emphasised, but instead a lack of effort in trying to make the game authentic.

When a game tried to market itself as a Chiense war game, I just hope to see essences to true, authentic Chinese elements that were referenced from source materials. This would remind us as gamers that we're playing a Chinese Total War game, but not a reskin.

Simply put - some degree of respect to actual history is required, but creativeties are appreciated too. The idea of promoting more history materials is also a good method of cultural understanding as I'm pretty sure many people from Europe or America never really even looked deep into the actual Chinese culture within TK (most information probably learned from Dynasty Warriors series)

So yes, as a Chinese gamer, I welcome all those creative essences as that's game is a form of interactive art. But I wanna feel immersed too. So please also try to get some facts straight
  • Rath_DarkbladeRath_Darkblade Senior Member Posts: 2,125Registered Users
    Like it or not, OP, most Total War games are set in a specific historical period.

As a consequence, it behooves CA - who develop the games - both to learn more about that period and to make the game as authentic to that period as they can.

To do anything else has two major detrimental effects:

1. It makes CA look stupid. How would it look if, for instance, an ancient Roman army marched to war equipped with high-powered rifles and bazookas?

2. It's an insult to anyone who studies history. Why? We "history nerds" understand that it's a game. We - well, most of us - don't expect every single thing to be perfect, right down to every rock and tree, because we know that's impossible. As long as most things are right, we don't mind. But if CA didn't even bother with the documented facts (like types of armour, types of weapons etc.), then what's the point of creating a game about that historical period?

I, for one, appreciate CA's high attention to detail and its attempts to replicate historical periods accurately. Sure, CA isn't always 100% perfect, but I'm happy to overlook that because, most of the time, CA is close enough.

Even more, after I play CA's games, they then inspire to pick up books and learn more - whether it be about a historical period (e.g. ancient Rome) or even a specific person within that period (e.g. Mithridates the Great).

One last thing: OP, I don't know if you want to persuade people or if you're just trolling, but please note that complaining about things - and insulting or criticising people - are NOT the best ways to make friends and influence people. :-P
    "There is nothing wrong with nepotism, provided you keep it all in the family."
    --Winston Churchill
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 5,108Registered Users
    I have a master's degree in history and I'm sick of them. I'll tell you more: if someone thinks TW is some kind of academic history series, he probably never opened a history book. TW is Hollywood history through and through, being a purist of that is beyond ridiculous.
    Uh-huh. Hollywood history, is it? Then explain to me one thing, Mr Master's-Degree-in-History... would you consider these to be bad war movies?

Hollywood and CA are alike in one degree: they've both released products that some people like and some people dislike. Sure, Hollywood's released some bad history movies, but they've released some pearls as well. CA are the same.

I am far from being a history "purist", as you seem to call them. I know that CA's history games are not the same as reading a book about history. I play some of them because I don't know much about the period and want to learn more BEFORE picking up a book, if you can understand that. And sometimes, I play some CA games because they are fun, if you can understand THAT.

Frankly, I find this thread insulting. Why shouldn't fans of history have a company that makes games for them? Why should Warhammer fans have all the fun? :'(
    --Winston Churchill
  • TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Posts: 173Registered Users
    Jeez each one is entitled to his opinion. Personally I don't care much about historical accuracy, unless someone claims that an obviously imaginary unit is historically accurate. I take issue with this, because it is an action harmful to science. E.g. when people pretended that scorpion/bees/snakes catapults actually existed, ignoring basic physics.
    Nestor.

Allah, Suriya, Bashar w Bas!

Jeez each one is entitled to his opinion. Personally I don't care much about historical accuracy, unless someone claims that an obviously imaginary unit is historically accurate. I take issue with this, because it is an action harmful to science. E.g. when people pretended that scorpion/bees/snakes catapults actually existed, ignoring basic physics.

*gasp!* You mean... if you jam scorpions or snakes jammed into a jar, and fire it from a catapult, you won't get scorpions/snakes attacking your opponents?

Gah!! What a revelation! I'll never be the same again. =P

Seriously, though, what would happen? I presume that if you used snakes, you'd end up with a whole bunch of dead snakes and maybe one or two live ones (or, if you use scorpions, you'd end up with a bunch of dead scorpions)... because the shards of the jar when it breaks would injure or kill them? Or because they would panic in the dark and attack each other? Or...? Just wondering. :smile:
    --Winston Churchill
  • TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Posts: 173Registered Users
    Sorry for the late response.

The answer is...

Snake marmalade.
    Nestor.

Allah, Suriya, Bashar w Bas!