Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How to win ANY unfortified town assult in two steps

BoicoteBoicote Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 808
edited August 2018 in Ancestral Update Support
I want to report a strange AI behaviour that allows any human player to win ANY defensive unfortified town assault. It only requires two steps:

Step # 1: leave some of your units in the town and move the rest of your forces to the corner of the map.

The IA will move to attack the forces inside the town. After they defeat those soldiers left behind, the AI protects the settlement and ignores the forces outside the town.

Step # 2: press the “fast forward” button and wait until the time runs out.

That it. Victory is yours.

CA, I attached the replay file in case you want to check it out.
Post edited by Boicote on

Comments

• DaggetDagget Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 25
    Making it a victory point or making whoever holds the capture point when the timer runs out the victor would be reasonable solutions.
  • LastFactionLastFaction Registered Users Posts: 5
    I've done this so many times. Most of the time I leave my Mobs/Plebs/Tribesmen to hold the city center while the rest of my army sits idly by waiting for the timer to run out.
  • BoicoteBoicote Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 808
    Dagget said:

Making it a victory point or making whoever holds the capture point when the timer runs out the victor would be reasonable solutions.

I agree.
    When the game was released, there was a capture point inside the unfortified towns. Then, CA decided to remove it.
    But I like your second suggestion. The faction who controls the city center when the time runs out should be considered the winner.
  • lilsweetcaligulalilsweetcaligula Registered Users Posts: 285
    This does look like a severe game-breaking BAI bug. I hope this gets fixed at some point...

My personal favorite Total War games chart:
    I. Attila
    II. Rome II
    III. Napoleon
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 1,501
    I play without timer generally so no easy victory
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - UK
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
    Three kingdoms - Sun Jian
  • HugothesterHugothester Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 566
    You can always fool the AI, but this is cheesy, dude, defend your city from inside the city. So much people complaining that the game is "not historically accurate" and then you leave your city undefended and place your units on a corner of the map... The AI cannot predic any single human interaction.
    Biggest Spanish total war youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/user/hugothester
    edited August 2018
    The problem with this "bug" is that it can happen even if it's not your intention to fool the AI.
    I discovered this simply because in one of my battles I left some cavalry units outside the settlement to flank my enemy; and my main force was inside the town. Then I noticed that the AI ignored the units ouside the city.

When I opened this thread I also wanted to bring to discussion the victory condition in unfortified towns. Should CA bring back the capture point? Or should they simply fix the AI to avoid things like this to happen?
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 1,501
    Boicote said:

The problem with this "bug" is that it can happen even if it's not your intention to fool the AI.
    I discovered this simply because in one of my battles I left some cavalry units outside the settlement to flank my enemy; and my main force was inside the town. Then I noticed that the AI ignored the units ouside the city.

When I opened this thread I also wanted to bring to discussion the victory condition in unfortified towns. Should CA bring back the capture point? Or should they simply fix the AI to avoid things like this to happen?

I hate capture points, so fix the AI :-)

My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - UK
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
    Three kingdoms - Sun Jian
  • MarcusIuniusBrutusMarcusIuniusBrutus Senior Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 1,739
    I`m sorry, but it is no bug, its a exploit of the AI.

I don't want victory point back.

Easy exploit as attacker : Drag the AI forces out of the city, then send cav to VP autowin.

If AI guard vp and not left city, shot them dead with missiles, because AI stood stupid in vp.

No thanks.
  • lilsweetcaligulalilsweetcaligula Registered Users Posts: 285
    edited August 2018
    Boicote said:

The faction who controls the city center when the time runs out should be considered the winner.

I second this suggestion.
    My personal favorite Total War games chart:
    I. Attila
    II. Rome II
    III. Napoleon
    edited August 2018

I`m sorry, but it is no bug, its a exploit of the AI.

I forgot to mention that IF you move ALL your units outside the city, then the AI will go after you and forces you to fight.
    The AI ignores units outside the city ONLY IF you left some units behind in the town, in the beginning of the battle.

So, IMHO, this is a bug.
  • MigzMigz Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 316
    The underlying software issue is a bug/flaw/mistake. It appears to be residual behavior from back when control points existed. A player exploiting that bug/flaw/mistake to win is an exploit. I'm not sure why these two concepts seem to have been confused by some people in recent years.

@Boicote
    Since I play with no timer, I hadn't thought about how this behavior affects timed battles even though I'd noticed that the AI would run towards the defenders sitting in the town while ignoring everything else. In fact, I exploited that behavior to allow a reinforcing army to set up its artillery unhindered while the AI's reinforcing army marched by in front of me. Although, I thought that the AI was just focused on the town's "general" rather than the town's control point, because when I tried to run the general, and his party, out of the town to meet my reinforcements, the AI attacked them, I'm pretty sure that it was mostly him, directly.

Good call on bringing this to CA's attention. I hope that CA is able to do something about it. b-(^.^")
  • HugothesterHugothester Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 566
    Migz said:

The underlying software issue is a bug/flaw/mistake. It appears to be residual behavior from back when control points existed. A player exploiting that bug/flaw/mistake to win is an exploit. I'm not sure why these two concepts seem to have been confused by some people in recent years.

Exactly, this is exactly what I meant, it is definetly a bug, but if you use it to your advantage you are exploiting the AI.
    Biggest Spanish total war youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/user/hugothester
  • LastFactionLastFaction Registered Users Posts: 5
    CA shouldn't bring back the victory point in unwalled settlements

They should either:

Make the controller of the victory point win the battle when the time runs out or...

Make the faction not in control of the victory point incur heavy morale penalties with the potential to route starting at 10 to 15 minutes remaining on the battle timer.