Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Bloodwrack Medusa

ptavangarptavangar Registered Users Posts: 1,172
Is anyone else a little irked that the bloodwrack medua/bloodwrack shrine were not included in the core roster of the dark elves or given to us at all? They are very much tied to Morathi, one of the starting LL's for the dark elves. It seems very appropriate that she should have access to them. I understand it isn't the easiest thing to animate but I think it would have been appropriate. Or at least they could have given us the scourgerunner chariot....

Comments

• CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 15,323
    Meh. Would have been nice, I guess.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -New Rules: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287645/new-forum-rules#latest
    -Rules FAQ: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287650/total-war-forum-faq#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    Irked like any missing unit maybe but it's pretty clear when they started to debate which difficult unit to do they chose the hydra. And I'm glad I have the hydra, it's one of the single best looking units they've made.

Now, don't lose hope, might be a lengthy wait but you've got another FLC lord coming they might decide to put something with or at least game 3 DoC might make it an easy reskin later on.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 29,168
    Woulda been nice, but alas was not to be.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"Under construction" - Becky, daughter of Guanyin.

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name

• ptavangarptavangar Registered Users Posts: 1,172
    Nyxilis said:

Irked like any missing unit maybe but it's pretty clear when they started to debate which difficult unit to do they chose the hydra. And I'm glad I have the hydra, it's one of the single best looking units they've made.

Now, don't lose hope, might be a lengthy wait but you've got another FLC lord coming they might decide to put something with or at least game 3 DoC might make it an easy reskin later on.

Meh. I don't take that as an excuse tbh. Game 2 was already way cheaper for them to make compared to game 1. They just wanted to save money and make the bare minimum. But yes, I would also prefer having the hydra over the medusa.

Naw there is no way we are going to get it. Lord pack was the only opportunity. They would never ever give us a medusa as FLC. Never. But as CA likes to say to their players, "never say never." Lol
  • Gotrek_BeastslayerGotrek_Beastslayer Registered Users Posts: 1,568
    IMO Medusae will come with the future Dark Elves LL FLC.

Long ago (Q&C time) Grace replied about the addition of Medusae, saying they'll take into consideration the fact that she is a simple Sepulchral Stalker reskin.
    #JusticeForTzeentch #JusticeForMonogods

WH Novels:

- Vampire Wars: The Von Carstein Trilogy: 10/10
    - Gilead's Blood: 8/10
    - Riders of the Dead: 9/10
    - Empire in Chaos: 9/10
    - Mark of Damnation: 7.5/10
    - Mark of Heresy: 7/10
    - G&F: Trollslayer: 8/10 (re-read)
    - G&F: Skavenslayer: 9.5/10
    - G&F: Daemonslayer: 10/10
    - G&F: Dragonslayer: 8/10
    - G&F: Beastslayer: 7.5/10
    - G&F: Vampireslayer: 7/10
    - G&F: Giantslayer: 7.5/10
    - The Chronicles of Malus Darkblade vol. one: 8.5/10
    - Drachenfels: 6.5/10
    - Genevìeve Undead: 7.5/10
    - Silver Nails: 9.5/10

Long ago (Q&C time) Grace replied about the addition of Medusae, saying they'll take into consideration the fact that she is a simple Sepulchral Stalker reskin.

Gotrek you know I respect you and we mostly agree on things but I'm a little surprised you would believe anything she says. She is there simply to placate us and be a friendly face for CA. She has no say over what happens at CA and is simply giving you false hope. I promise you they will never give us something like a medusa for FLC. Think about how little FLC we've been given in game 2. And the only unit (without a pay wall) they have given us isn't even an army book unit. Look back to game 1 for precedent. We've never gotten a monstrous unit as FLC. Especially one that is complicated. If they were going to give us the medusa, they would have done it by now either in the core roster (which is what they should have done) or the lord pack. That is why it makes me mad. I'm constantly frustrated by the large number of missing units in game 2 and the fact that they are mostly really cool and interesting. CA realized that they could probably get away with giving us less complete rosters in game 2 and so they did.
  • SelakahSelakah Registered Users Posts: 815
    The interesting thing to me is that she's a reskin of the Sepulchral stalker. Yes, making the new textures and a handful of animations takes time, but the rigging and the bulk of the animations are already there!
    Selakah said:

The interesting thing to me is that she's a reskin of the Sepulchral stalker. Yes, making the new textures and a handful of animations takes time, but the rigging and the bulk of the animations are already there!

I agree but I think the hardest part would be the writhing snakes atop her head. They did something similar to that with Khalida's staff but with multiple snakes I can understand it would be challenging. Still no excuse imo but I acknowledge that it would not be simple.
    ptavangar said:

Nyxilis said:

Meh. I don't take that as an excuse tbh. Game 2 was already way cheaper for them to make compared to game 1. They just wanted to save money and make the bare minimum. But yes, I would also prefer having the hydra over the medusa.

Naw there is no way we are going to get it. Lord pack was the only opportunity. They would never ever give us a medusa as FLC. Never. But as CA likes to say to their players, "never say never." Lol
    Couple points here, didn't say excuse. There is simple reality, they did it for this. I'm not excusing them on that.

Second, those FLCs are not really FLC other than players don't have to pay for them. Most of the FLCs come paired along side some other paid DLC. So if they have the time and spare resources to do it, simply bundles it into and gets released as a little public relations dlc.

About the only time we see flc that wasn't done that way is when they pair it to a special event and it's strictly advertisement dollars but even then sometimes that was still done with a DLC's direct budget. Bone Giant was most likely held back, paid and developed during TK dlc costs and put for that advertisement.
  • FakeEmperorFakeEmperor Registered Users Posts: 595
    IMHO, the only chance to get the medusa is that it will be featured in a second round of Lord Packs... so very unlikely
  • NinjipplesNinjipples Registered Users Posts: 843

Woulda been nice, but alas was not to be.

Yeah basically this ^

It would have been nice but I'm not overly attached to it.

To my knowledge (as I started playing the TT in 6th edition) they were added in 8th edition along with Dreadfire Warlocks, Sisters of Slaughter, Scourgerunner Chariots, the Kharibdyss and I think maybe something else. Of those options I think they put the best units in first. I never used the Scourgerunner or Madusa in TT as there always seemed to be something better.

That's not to say I don't want them to consider adding them in later... because that'd be great. Just that I can enjoy the game just fine in their absence.
  • KelefaneKelefane Registered Users Posts: 3,308
    Still an outside shot it comes with the DE FLC.

• BiesBies Junior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 3,838
    We got some mechanics instead of Medusae, yes the are nice and I want more things like sword of khaine but it also really sad because now after the people were mad on CA, skaven and lizardmen players will get more new units and RoR and we dark elves and high elves players will stay without great additions like Medusae
    Really hope for second LL vs LL pack
    We still have beastmaster and black ark fleetmaster for darkelves to be added
    Would be nice with sea theme with krakenlord

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

• Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 7,014
    Well folks, keep complaining. It seems it will have some beneficial effects on the next LP. Alas, Elves were sacrificial lambs this time like Beastmen.
    ptavangar said:

Gotrek you know I respect you and we mostly agree on things but I'm a little surprised you would believe anything she says. She is there simply to placate us and be a friendly face for CA. She has no say over what happens at CA and is simply giving you false hope. I promise you they will never give us something like a medusa for FLC. Think about how little FLC we've been given in game 2. And the only unit (without a pay wall) they have given us isn't even an army book unit. Look back to game 1 for precedent. We've never gotten a monstrous unit as FLC. Especially one that is complicated. If they were going to give us the medusa, they would have done it by now either in the core roster (which is what they should have done) or the lord pack. That is why it makes me mad. I'm constantly frustrated by the large number of missing units in game 2 and the fact that they are mostly really cool and interesting. CA realized that they could probably get away with giving us less complete rosters in game 2 and so they did.
    Well, they tried. They thought the addition of mechanics, which are arguably way less costly to make, would have compensated the loss of units. It seems it was not the case in terms of sales and feedback, as they straight out promised more units in the next LP.
  • A_MushroomA_Mushroom Registered Users Posts: 278
    Xenos7 said:

ptavangar said:

Well, they tried. They thought the addition of mechanics, which are arguably way less costly to make, would have compensated the loss of units. It seems it was not the case in terms of sales and feedback, as they straight out promised more units in the next LP.
    I'd say feedback was pretty positive on the mechanics and apparently CA agrees; 'We've seen the feedback from what is essentially one of our first "global" mechanics, as you put it. We're definitely aware of the fact people liked this.' Some people like units, other people mechanics they ain't pleasing everybody.

And whether or not it's cheaper to go for mechanics is very arguable indeed...

Xenos7 said:

ptavangar said:

I'd say feedback was pretty positive on the mechanics and apparently CA agrees; 'We've seen the feedback from what is essentially one of our first "global" mechanics, as you put it. We're definitely aware of the fact people liked this.' Some people like units, other people mechanics they ain't pleasing everybody.

Not really. You can find extremely complex games (Dwarf Fortress, Aurora 4x, Dominions) made by a couple of people on a risible budget. You can't find games with impressive models built on the cheap. And if CA said the next LP will have more units, then probably they saw some problem with the approach of Q&C. Big game companies don't give out candies without reason.
    Mechanics are cheaper, one of the other designers has talked about this especially if they already have existing framework. See dwarves post Tomb Kings. Modeling, rigging, then animation in that order. And animation can ramp up real fast based on complexity. I you can mocap it, cheaper, if you have basic living reference shapes that helps, then you hlget something like the hydra or abomination and the animators just cry.

But once more there are incoming armies that should shoulder that burden and make it a reskin. Which is vastly cheaper.
  • Chocolate_RainChocolate_Rain Registered Users Posts: 1,013
    Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

ptavangar said:

Not really. You can find extremely complex games (Dwarf Fortress, Aurora 4x, Dominions) made by a couple of people on a risible budget. You can't find games with impressive models built on the cheap. And if CA said the next LP will have more units, then probably they saw some problem with the approach of Q&C. Big game companies don't give out candies without reason.
    That's right. In fact the 98% of the negative reviews on Steam and the negative comments on Forums, Socials, Youtube and so on are all about the poor new units added in Q&C and the fact that the most interesting are left out.
    Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

ptavangar said:

The sad truth is that the only reason why they even care about our feedback about the Q and the C is because we spoke up. They knew exactly what they were doing when they gave us no new models and only 5 units and left out the white lion chariot. They were simply hoping they could get away with it and sales wise they sort of did.
    Fear not folks. I'm sure that something will come with the next Dark Elves FLC and it could be or could not be Medusa.
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 6,645

Fear not folks. I'm sure that something will come with the next Dark Elves FLC and it could be or could not be Medusa.

The Dark Elf FLC will likely come with the next Campaign Pack, and not have anything accompanying it bar a crushing sense of disappointment when we discover they've chosen Fellheart over Darkblade.

As the OP said, the Bloodwrack Medusae would not have been given away free if it was made, it would have been used as a centrepiece for a DLC.
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
    Arsenic said:

The Dark Elf FLC will likely come with the next Campaign Pack, and not have anything accompanying it bar a crushing sense of disappointment when we discover they've chosen Fellheart over Darkblade.

As the OP said, the Bloodwrack Medusae would not have been given away free if it was made, it would have been used as a centrepiece for a DLC.
    Maybe....maybe not.

• Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 2,546
    I think the new medusae or "melusai" models are gorgeous btw.

I wouldn't mind something like them being added to the game at all.

• KelefaneKelefane Registered Users Posts: 3,308
    The Kharibyss was just a dumb lazy addition IMO. Medusa was much more coveted by players and it fills a role giving the DE a Monstrous infantry.

• hopefulveilhopefulveil Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 92
    Speaking of their role:
    Would the Medusa serve as Monstrous infantry that serve as shock troops or are they meant to be supportive of other infantry ? There are apparently spear and archer based variants. What were stats on table top so that she can determine their niche?

• BiesBies Junior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 3,838
    edited August 2018
    arpitp said:

Speaking of their role:
    Would the Medusa serve as Monstrous infantry that serve as shock troops or are they meant to be supportive of other infantry ? There are apparently spear and archer based variants. What were stats on table top so that she can determine their niche?

The picture represents Age of sigmar models and they will not be added to the game
    Here we have 8th ed

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

• DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 10,964
    arpitp said:

Speaking of their role:

Take Sepulcheral Stalkers, replace the Tomb Kings traits with Dark Elf traits, increase their MA, MD, and damage, and give them an abysmally low Leadership and you've pretty much got Bloodwrack Medusae. Assuming that they're a multi-model unit (on the tabletop you could only take them individually, despite being monstrous infantry rather than full-on infantry) they'd pretty much do for the Dark Elves exactly what Stalkers do for Tomb Kings.

The Bloodwrack Shrine would basically be a chariot with the medusa's ranged attack, Terror, and an aura that boosts friendly Leadership.

The Melusae that Grom posted, while awesome models, are Age of Sigmar models. The Bloodwrack Medusa from 8E only had a spear. (Technically, it was undefined according to game rules. But it's a spear on the model.)