Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Native Volsci recruitment issues and unit balance

EsoterikEsoterik Posts: 11Registered Users
The native Volsci units don't seem to be recruitable anymore if I convert the minor settlement they're from to my own culture (playing as Tarchuna).

And the Native Volsci units are fairly underwhelming. They are too expensive for what they do, pretty much every faction has something much more efficient.

Even just comparing the swordsmen to other native units shows how lacking they are for their cost:

As for the spearmen, the umbrian cheap native spears are better defensively, and similarily priced spears from playable factions vastly outperform them:

(I'll also mention that I think the Etruscan hoplites are a tad weak, the roman spears are much better. I don't think expert charge defense is so useful that it warrants them being worse across the board. )

Being a big fan of auxiliaries, I really appreciate the native soldier system in RotR. There are some pretty unique and cool units in certain provinces, but others aren't worth using because pretty much everyone has better options. I hope you can do a pass on the weaker natives so they atleast have a niche and aren't just straight up useless.

Comments

• CA_dionisievCA_dionisiev Posts: 167Registered Users, CA Staff
    Hi @Esoterik

Thanks for the concise feedback :)

Unfortunately i am afraid that no changes to the Native Volsci units are to be implemented.

There is some gameplay design reasoning behind this - the role of the Native units is mostly to give flavour and more immersion into the time period.
    When playing with Tarchuna the Volsci are pretty much the first faction and territory you gain access to. We didn't want the player to gain access to very strong units early in the campaign, so that he/she is more motivated to develop the factions unit roster instead of just hiring the local super-heroes.
    Your observations are perfectly valid - the Volsci native units are indeed a bit weaker for the price than their peers, but this is done on purpose by the design team :)

Hope that this makes sense :)

Thanks for the report again!
    Cheers,
    Ivan Dionisiev
    CA Sofia QA Team

FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • EsoterikEsoterik Posts: 11Registered Users
    Thank you for the detailed reply.

Hi @Esoterik

Thanks for the concise feedback :)

Unfortunately i am afraid that no changes to the Native Volsci units are to be implemented.
    -Not even fixing their lack of recruitability when the buildings are converted? Afaik they are alone in this and it seems like an oversight or a bug.

There is some gameplay design reasoning behind this - the role of the Native units is mostly to give flavour and more immersion into the time period.
    -What good is that if they won't be used. You design a unit that's recruitable, but it's so terrible noone would ever want to. As a gameplay element it's quite frankly poorly designed as it has no place. No offense to the design team, just calling it as I see it.

When playing with Tarchuna the Volsci are pretty much the first faction and territory you gain access to.
    -That's not really true, you'll have to get through the Veii and Rome first, if you make a beeline for Latium, which is only one road of expansion.

We didn't want the player to gain access to very strong units early in the campaign, so that he/she is more motivated to develop the factions unit roster instead of just hiring the local super-heroes.
    -Currently I don't consider any of the native units to be local super-heroes, and it's not what I'm asking for, you already have those in the form of mercenaries which are available from the start. Some of them are useful to certain factions without feeling too powerful, a fun and flavorful extenson to the roster of usable units, often earned through conquest. Probably a delicate balance, but you've managed it for some of them, which is why the extreme case of the Volsci just seems wrong. Other factions start with immediate access to usable native units, so there's some inconsistency here.

Your observations are perfectly valid - the Volsci native units are indeed a bit weaker for the price than their peers, but this is done on purpose by the design team :)
    -They really are way too weak for their price, and I hope the design team can find the time to take another look at them.

Hope that this makes sense :)

Thanks for the report again!

I'm no expert on history, but to provide something constructive and based on this piece of history from wikipedia:

"The Volsci attacked the Roman camp the following night, hoping to benefit from the dissent amongst the Romans. Instead the Roman army took up arms and repulsed the attack. The next day the Volsci attacked the Roman fortifications again, filling the trenches and attacking the rampart. The consul held back the Roman troops at first, allowing the Volsci to destroy a large part of the fortifications surrounding the camp. Then he gave the order to attack and the Volsci were routed at the first engagement. The Roman army pursued the Volscian army to its own camp, and the camp was surrounded then taken and plundered following the flight of the Volsci. The Roman force followed the Volscian army to Suessa Pometia, and took and plundered that town. The Romans then returned to Rome in glory. Ambassadors from the Volscian town of Ecetra then arrived in Rome, and the senate agreed to grant them peace on condition that their land be given to Rome. "

In an attempt to translate this into gameplay, their attributes could be focused in charge and attack, maybe with frenzied charge, but poor morale and defenses. And tuned to be about as efficient as the other native swords. As a mainline they'd crumble, but as a flavorful flanking unit they could find a place in some armies.

Just an idea.

Thanks for reading, I've said my peace and made my points. If I come off strong it's because I'm passionate about this game. : )