Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Empire vs Chaos: Invasion Issues

I play Empire and I often struggle with Chaos invasions. I have no issue claiming new territories and defending them, until turn(s) 150+. Suddenly the landscape itself changes. Cracks of lava appear, giant spikes jet out of the ground, and the land goes from a lush shade of green to black and ash! In my most recent play through I was absolutely destroyed by three massive armies that attacked Altdorf simultaneously. My level 20 Karl Franz (On Deathclaw) was killed instantly! I tried to retreat to Nuln and build up to retake my former capital, but the armies kept hitting like trucks and I ended up deleting the save. In a matter of 5 turns the Empire I had spent so long building was a smoking Chaos pit with those floating rings above every city!

I'm looking for some general advice on how to stop this from happening again. I've deployed priests, given Lords the Fervent ability, built a church of Sigmar at my capital, and even issues Commandments to stop corruption. From what I can tell I've done everything correctly! But for whatever reason Chaos eventually takes everything I built. Can anyone provide some advice? Links to some good tutorials or wiki links that can explain this to me? Please help me out.

Comments

• stankgangstastankgangsta Junior Member Posts: 236Registered Users
    Almost always your going to lose some settlements or even armies to Chaos. Generally you should be able to stop them around Kiev if you taken all of fake Russia. Make sure to build defensive buildings near Norsca and do not allow lords to escape
  • SsynnSsynn Posts: 22Registered Users
    edited September 2018
    The Chaos Invasion is an event that is going to happen by a specific time, either based on your strength or it's far enough in the game, regardless of what you do.
    As for the land going crazy? It just does that as they spread, deal with it later. Your goal is to pick a couple spots with maxed settlements and big ass walls. Use these spots in conjunction with multiple stacks of strong armies (lots of armor penetration and anti-large units is recommended) to stall or beat their armies.You will always want to be confronting these guys with more units than them as they have ridiculously elite stacks, unless you're 110% confident in your ability to beat them on the battlefield at even strength.
    Generally if you can hold on for a few turns multiple factions will move to ally with you against them in "The Shield of Civilisation". Factions like Brettonia, Wood Elves, Dwarves, sometimes even the Vamps.
    When the invasion has been defeated, or mostly beaten back, you can start to deal with corruption all over the place. It may take tens of turns but you can restore everything back to normal.

I have minimal experience with the Empire perspective of dealing with Chaos but I've done it multiple times with Brettonia and Dwarves... Dwarfs? So maybe someone else can be more specific in their suggestions.

As well, can we get some more detail of the number of armies you were fielding? What unit compositions you preferred and the number of settlements you controlled at the time? Also which ones would be helpful too.
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 1,984Registered Users
    edited September 2018
    The whole untainted idea is a bit weird sometimes.

But what you always need to remember , if you don't want this to happen you need to destroy the source. This is really the only effective way most of the times.

Is there an chaos army close by that keeps spreading there corruption ? Then make it a priority to destroy the army right away.

What you did , building buildings that decrease corruption , commandments and agents is a good thing, keep doing it ! But make sure you have an army to destroy the source close by that is the direct cause of it.

For example, the choas armies leave a altar in razed settlements, it's important to destroy that if you having problems. Just colonize it, you don't need to keep it neccecarly. The main goal is that the altar is gone.

For destroying those chaos armies I would suggest a few things;

Use agents, especially the agents with block army and assault UNITS. This will soften then down hard and the block army makes it possible to not hunt them for several turns down and keep an army close by the areas where you need them. This means to make sure you train 1 or 2 agents early on in the campaign so by the time choas comes you have trained agents that have a high success rate.

Volkmar the Grim is your friend here. He has good untainted skills.

Last , make very good use of the ambush mode. It is key !

This is it. Prepare for chaos when they come.

Ow wait. A very very important thing you can do is : from the very beginning of a campaign invest heavily in diplomacy. Give gifts to the powerful factions that can become powerful allies later on. Together with the shield or civilization that chaos brings once they arrive, you can face the threat already together with some mighty friends. For the empire I would suggest bretonnia as an ally , and if you can vamps are amazing to. They give A lot of money if you ask for it and are on good terms with them.

Make sure using small gifts only, most effective if you compare it to cost effectiveness.

Good luck ! May Sigmar be with you brother !
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • SoldierOfSigmarSoldierOfSigmar Posts: 4Registered Users
    I've started another campaign, I'm currently on turn 143 (Empire) and I must say that it appears hitting Norsca made a major difference. I didn't go far North enough to wipe them out completely, but I made sure to Raze every coastal city in their snowy little home! This seems to have slowed the Invasion, though I am still looking to the North-East for the inevitable main Invasion Force. As of right now I'm trying to deal with random pockets of Beastmen, which are more annoying then anything else. I've also chosen to up my artillery drastically, which I have found routs/kills MANY enemy soldiers before they hit my front lines.

I will take further advice and keep updating this thread. Hopefully by the end there won't be any issue at all!
  • Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Posts: 2,268Registered Users
    How do you structure your settlements?

The standard strategy around settlement structure is that you need only a few military oriented ones and the rest are economic powerhouses. Unless you're skaven.....then all your settlements are both. And have maxed walls.

For that reason near all of your settlements should have a church built up. This will directly counter the effect of Chaos that creeps across the whole world. The exception being your military settlements.

The Empire has a TON of options in regards to where you structure your military centers. But my two favorite are Nuln and either Talabheim or Middeheim. I have Nuln build up the artillery and infantry option half of both armies I am building. Middenheim/Talabheim builds the other half of both, the agents and cavalry etc. I then have the two armies meet halfway, switch units around to create two comprehensive forces, march them towards whatever the hell problems I'm having.

In the case of the Chaos Invasion what this usually means is that every single settlement in the Empire, including VC home turf, is built expressly to support a strong economy for the two military centers. Allowing me to march 4 or more armies just south of Kislev and several other armies elsewhere. Let Kislev bear the brunt of the tidal wave. When Archaon gets his happy/tired ass down to Ostland I have the four or so armies I've built to greet him have a couple of incredibly huge multiple armies per side fights and see who wins. Chaos invasion over. Or I'm dead.
  • RazmirthRazmirth Posts: 1,904Registered Users
    edited September 2018
    Just build garrisons in all settlements as empire. Throw a priest/witch hunter building(temple of Sigmar) in to fight corruption.

By turn 150 you should have at least 4-5 full stack armies with mid-high tier troops. Make sure your not sitting on a gold surplus of like +15000 a turn. 5000-7000 is adequate enough especially in wAr time. And stick two stacks together and never send them alone. Chaos loves to gang up. And also get lightning strike for your lord and take on one army at a time.

Also what’s your armies like? Vs chaos things like war machines and handgunners do wonders. Bring great swords, handgunners, rockets, and hell blaster volley gun (some say it’s not great but it’s fine. Just deploy it on your flank and protect it.). And also bring some anti large and anti-armour in the form of demigryph knights. They will run circles around chaos infantry. Just make sure you take out their Calvary first so they can’t chase you down. And don’t charge them into chosen with halbreds. They are arguably the best anti large infantry in the game.

This is a screenshot shows what happened when I changed my tactic. This time, after hitting Norsa hard, I headed back south and expanded East. I punched a few nations in the face, only to then ask for peace, most said yes. Around turn 145 I gathered all my generals at Altdorf with Karl Franz (save 2 to Protect while we were gone). I made them travel as one massive group, at times it was hard to click on Franz because he was surrounded by about 7 other flags. I pushed North-East hard. When I did eventually hit Archeon, he actually fled. After lmao-ing for a good 5 min I pursued him! Eventually leading to this outcome! The little **** did manage to back out of the circle for just a moment but not nearly enough to escape flanking. He is dead, and I'm mowing the rest like grass!
  • RazmirthRazmirth Posts: 1,904Registered Users

This is a screenshot shows what happened when I changed my tactic. This time, after hitting Norsa hard, I headed back south and expanded East. I punched a few nations in the face, only to then ask for peace, most said yes. Around turn 145 I gathered all my generals at Altdorf with Karl Franz (save 2 to Protect while we were gone). I made them travel as one massive group, at times it was hard to click on Franz because he was surrounded by about 7 other flags. I pushed North-East hard. When I did eventually hit Archeon, he actually fled. After lmao-ing for a good 5 min I pursued him! Eventually leading to this outcome! The little **** did manage to back out of the circle for just a moment but not nearly enough to escape flanking. He is dead, and I'm mowing the rest like grass!

That picture is meme worthy.

• Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Posts: 2,268Registered Users
    Jokes on you Archaon has the Sword of Khaine in that image so he won anyway.
  • luther84695luther84695 Member Posts: 462Registered Users
    Do you have lightning strike? The first thing I level up is the blue line, I develop those all the way to the end. Although red line will buff your troops, the bonus from being able to recruit troops at higher level will help more. By the time Chaos shows up, you should be able to recruit at least level 6-7 of anything. Reiksguard can be recruited at level 9.

Also, i have an anti-chaos army. Halberds are better than greatswords because it has anti charge resistance, both anti-large and AP abilities. The key is to buff the front line with warrior priests. I have at least one and sometimes two per army. I bring a mage to destroy enemies with offensive spells. Outrider with grenade launcher is the best at destroying the axe throwing skirmishers. Helblaster is also great. Overall, your front line will beat AI's front if they are recruited at high level and buffed with battle prayers. You don't want your line too wide since they need to be covered within blue circles.

As for Karl Franz dying too quickly, it doesn't happen if you him correctly. Karl on death claw cannot survive long if dive right into a group of enemies to get himself surrounded. It's better to use him to rear charge a unit that is already engaged. He will route off an unit just by doing that. I sometimes wait until I see a mismatch. If one of my unit is clearly losing, I use Karl to help out.
  • KyzarkonKyzarkon Posts: 41Registered Users
    Still don't know why Grimgor doesn't have a 'Eadbutt Archon' EZWIN ability at level 40 to throw some shade at GW.
    Razmirth and Kyzarkon, you guys have me dying over here! That meme is perfect, but I have an even better button for Grimgor! "Kick'em in da ballz". Not as funny but it would be more accurate! That writing was such trash. I never got to play table-top Warhammer Fantasy, I was too young when it started to phase out, but even I've heard of THAT! I'm getting back into 40k because I love Orks! I've always wanted to play them! Wether in 40k or Fantasy they are just so hilarious! ex: Doom-Diver Catapult! And its 40k equivalent...

"Shock Attack-Gun" shown here.

Gotta love the look on that little Goblin's face! LOL
  • BrakierBrakier Posts: 1,520Registered Users