Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Settlement Skins - Request CA Response

HootHoot Registered Users Posts: 9
Hi.

If you're reading this and you are employed my Creative Assembly (CA) as a community manager or just a general working pleb like me then please don't just brush over this topic. I ask politely, that you have a read and at least mention it to the bigwigs in your next TW Community Meeting or whatever.

I don't own TWW2 (yet) but I've really been enjoying TWW1, so much so that buying the second game is a matter of when (and money) and not if but I was heartily disappointed when I discovered that during the Mortal Empires campaign settlements did not change their skins! I had grand designs of spreading massive Wood Elf trees across the continents, or reducing the world to spikez and pitz for da boyz!

There's a couple of threads around started by folk who feel the same; that an opportunity has been missed here and also that the current system breaks immersion significantly. The arguments for and against basically come down to time, lore and realism. Strangely, arguments can be made on BOTH sides using these same points.

e.g. Lore :-

For Current System - Empire wouldn't change architecture of a Bretonnian City.

Against Current System - Dwarfs would not be seen dead living in an Orc pit.

This may seem like a small issue but it is in fact one that gives me pause. Aesthetics and immersion are important in my enjoyment of a game such as this and to have no reflection of conquest shown on the world map is a big let down. Even just subtle changes to settlements would be awesome, i.e. a massive tree growing in a Bretonnian courtyard, or a few spikez and stuff around Dwarvern settlements, etc, etc, you get the idea.

Anyway, dear CA employee who is reading this thread, all I ask is that you seek out a response from whomever holds the reins and let us know if there will ever be faction specific settlements / decals on existing settlements? Is it in the works? Has it not been considered? Has it been considered and decided against?

Just let us know.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Comments

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 19,713
    Moved to Feedback.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • coury97coury97 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 607
    From what modders have found so far, it seems that they wanted to do it but the dead-line and the amount of work to make a map for every settlement with every faction has pushed them back from doing it,or at least i supposed that. Would be nice to have words in this matter from CA.
  • HootHoot Registered Users Posts: 9
    coury97 said:

From what modders have found so far, it seems that they wanted to do it but the dead-line and the amount of work to make a map for every settlement with every faction has pushed them back from doing it,or at least i supposed that. Would be nice to have words in this matter from CA.

Yeah, it would be nice to know for sure if how it is right now was always intended or it's something that is coming down the line when the developers have the time to spare.

Can't find official word on it anywhere.
  • Fraxure022Fraxure022 Registered Users Posts: 83
    This is my single biggest frustration with TWWII. It may seem so small to some people, but I really enjoyed painting the map with my faction's settlements, and the new factions have some of the prettiest little cities in the game (Lizardmen and High Elves stand out for me). Please bring this back, or at least make it to where modders can fix this for those of us who are unhappy with the situation. I'd really like to see CA address this issue, its been a frequent complaint since the game launched.
  • coljn123coljn123 Registered Users Posts: 4
    i hopes they will fix it
  • kilijankilijan Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 475
    I like the fact it doesn't change. Seems kind of silly that if the dwarfs take a bretonian city they tear it down, dig a hole and make a new hold out of it. Just because you occupy a settlement doesn't mean you genocide the local population. They need a home still and you're an occupying power. Makes sense to me.
  • duglandtotoduglandtoto Registered Users Posts: 168
    edited February 2018
    I agree, it should change.
    When I play Von Carstein and take control over a stirland village, I don't want to see flowers, birds and a village with torches, camps and fire, skeletons don't need that stuff. I want to spread my corruption to every living thing and even non-living.

When dead people stay long at one place, there should be some changes over time.

Take one example, when muslims controlled Jerusalem during the crusades, they started to build mosques and minarets. Jerusalem was transformed. Same for Istanbul with the ottoman empire or Carthage with the Romans...When Alexander the great came to Egypt, he built Greek-style temples and lighthouses.... I could give you thousands of example like this.
    This logic applies even more in fantasy games where powers and corruptions can have a direct influence on the surrounding environment.

CA should definitely re-implement this.

Lore wise it would be greater ( when Minas Ithil,or morgul, once built by the Gondor, was occupied by nazguls and orcs, it turned dark, cold etc...)
    And it is not really difficult to implement (already in warhammer 1) it is just a matter of skin.

At least, when a city is completely reduced to ash and rebuilt, the settlement should have a skin/ architecture in accordance with the faction that has rebuilt the city. Mazdamundi and his Saurus shouln't be able to build haunted castles, Brettonians shouldn't be able to build flying pyramids. it's a total nonsense to me.

I think CA should consider this.
    If they are not willing to change anything, they should at least allow the players to choose for themselves and let them mod it !

Post edited by duglandtoto on

This is my single biggest frustration with TWWII. It may seem so small to some people, but I really enjoyed painting the map with my faction's settlements, and the new factions have some of the prettiest little cities in the game (Lizardmen and High Elves stand out for me). Please bring this back, or at least make it to where modders can fix this for those of us who are unhappy with the situation. I'd really like to see CA address this issue, its been a frequent complaint since the game launched.

Hopefully if it has been a frequent complaint then CA will be aware of it and hopefully take steps to sort it out in the coming patches.

All we can do is maintain visibility on the issue at this point.
  • RenaldoMoonRenaldoMoon Registered Users Posts: 6
    "breaks immersion significantly" is the key grievance here. This is clearly a prominent concern of a sizeable portion of the community. I think at least CA should release a statement on the issue, even if any future patch is months down the line it gives us hope.
    No word on this yet?

I have to say after browsing the forum a little it doesn't look like the developers even read this stuff.
  • HebridesH2OHebridesH2O Registered Users Posts: 4
    Only one option really, to keep talking about it.
    Now that some time has passed, anyone else wanna chip in on this?

I still haven't bought the game but I probably would if I knew this change was coming. Seems daft, I know. But small things are sometimes bigger than they first seem.

Also, do Creative Assembly even read this forum? It seems like on other forums the developers/community bods take an active role but here I don't see a single response from a CA employee.
  • RenaldoMoonRenaldoMoon Registered Users Posts: 6
    I think at this stage we can conclude no such mods are coming. I don't regret buying the game because it's still produced some epic moments, but had I known all this upfront I think I would not have bought it in the first place. Every time I try to get back into it, I leave after a few weeks fully reminded of why I left the times before. I'll definitely be checking before buying the next game that all this obvious stuff is included and they haven't again **** up what really ought to be the greatest game of all time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file