Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Are you interested in the other Total War titles/Current State of the community?

Comments

• AwesomeLionAwesomeLion Member Posts: 1,120Registered Users
    edited September 2018
    Only interested in Warhammer since Warhammer came out.

I think most of the community agitation comes from being left in the dark and never being clued inn. Finally being told today that "there won't be any news in September" has me happy since now I FINALLY KNOW and don't have to guess or hope (and constantly get my hopes shattered).
    Total War: Warhammer <3
  • Yekdo21Yekdo21 Posts: 44Registered Users
    HoneyBun said:

Also, who is Grace? A Community Manager for the Total War Series? People seemed to like her but recently started massively disliking her it seems.

Nobody dislikes @Grace_CA

Grace is the ONLY person at CA who ever talks to us. Grace's job is to be on Reddit, not the forums. Despite this she comes here and tells us stuff that NO ONE else bothers to tell us. Grace has been seen here on bank holidays and weekends.

Grace is a legend and much adored.

But that doesn't mean we pull our punches with Grace about just how bad CA communication (and recent business decisions) have been.

If Grace ran CA - I doubt we'd have any grumbling.
    If thats the case I would disagree with my own last paragraph then. I did not know she was only responsible for reddit.
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 5,072Registered Users
    SiWI said:

Xenos7 said:

SiWI said:

Xenos7 said:

SiWI said:

The statement from CA was that the ART of the DLC, the loadings screens the pictures ect, would cost as much as that 1 unit.

Art budget includes all the graphical components of a game.
    doubt it.

provide a source for your claim.
    "Computer graphics have improved enormously in the past 20 years; the graphics in Destiny, which was created by a team of around 500 people, are streets ahead of those in Doom, a seminal shooter released in 1993 that was written by a handful of friends. With a few exceptions (such as SpeedTree, a piece of software that automates the creation of realistic-looking trees), all the art in a video game is hand-crafted. As characters, items, levels and visual effects have become more intricate and detailed, developers have had little choice but to throw more and more artists at the problem."

https://www.economist.com/the-economist-explains/2014/09/24/why-video-games-are-so-expensive-to-develop

The Economist uses the term "art" for all graphical assets. Good enough, mate?
    No.

It only proves that the economist use the term this way.

You would have to prove that CA use the term that way.

Because the way I remember that statement, was that they meant the art (drawings ect.) and not the modelling of the units/models or 3D assets.
    There are no new models or animations in Charlemagne. So the art budget included textures, alongside the general redesign of the interface and the cinematics. If you really think they were talking just about those little drawings which appear in the event window, well kid, you have to ask them. Maybe they use the term differently from all the rest of the industry, who knows.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,371Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

SiWI said:

Xenos7 said:

SiWI said:

Xenos7 said:

SiWI said:

The statement from CA was that the ART of the DLC, the loadings screens the pictures ect, would cost as much as that 1 unit.

doubt it.

"Computer graphics have improved enormously in the past 20 years; the graphics in Destiny, which was created by a team of around 500 people, are streets ahead of those in Doom, a seminal shooter released in 1993 that was written by a handful of friends. With a few exceptions (such as SpeedTree, a piece of software that automates the creation of realistic-looking trees), all the art in a video game is hand-crafted. As characters, items, levels and visual effects have become more intricate and detailed, developers have had little choice but to throw more and more artists at the problem."

https://www.economist.com/the-economist-explains/2014/09/24/why-video-games-are-so-expensive-to-develop

No.

Because the way I remember that statement, was that they meant the art (drawings ect.) and not the modelling of the units/models or 3D assets.
    There are no new models or animations in Charlemagne. So the art budget included textures, alongside the general redesign of the interface and the cinematics. If you really think they were talking just about those little drawings which appear in the event window, well kid, you have to ask them. Maybe they use the term differently from all the rest of the industry, who knows.
    "industry"? the economist is a publication and that journalist 100% the terminology the way that they are use in real life is rather the exception then the rule.

Assume that there is a unified standard in the first place.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 6,970Registered Users
    Was once upon a time interested in the first Shogun but couldn’t afford a computer to play it on. Fast forward to Warhammer which I’ve played on the table top and in various computer games for close to 20 years in total and that is why I am here.

I’ve not been interested in any TW games after Shogun. I think Three Kingdoms looks a little bit interesting. But probably won’t take the plunge anyways.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
    SiWI said:

Xenos7 said:

SiWI said:

Xenos7 said:

SiWI said:

Xenos7 said:

SiWI said:

doubt it.

No.

"industry"? the economist is a publication and that journalist 100% the terminology the way that they are use in real life is rather the exception then the rule.

Assume that there is a unified standard in the first place.
    Yes, it is. Everyone uses it that way. Here is a company specialized in making graphics for third party developers, for example:

http://www.conceptarthouse.com/news/2015/8/20/game-art-realistic-concept-art-house

They call it art.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 10,117Registered Users
    edited September 2018
    Arsenic said:

Incidentally, does anyone remember the days when Reddit was lauded as a hive of positivity compared to us here?

Having had a glance at it for the first time in a while, all I can say is blimey, that's changed..

Yeah wow. There's even more salt on reddit than there is here at the moment. I suppose their backlash is just later than ours.

I'm even seeing Grace's comments being down-voted to oblivion.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • SagrandaSagranda Posts: 1,610Registered Users

Arsenic said:

Incidentally, does anyone remember the days when Reddit was lauded as a hive of positivity compared to us here?

Having had a glance at it for the first time in a while, all I can say is blimey, that's changed..

Yeah wow. There's even more salt on reddit than there is here at the moment. I suppose their backlash is just later than ours.

Exactly what I expected when I saw that comment.
    Though I also expect that the "shining knights" will be there within time to "save the day"

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/9gvchw/why_is_there_so_little_info_about_warhammer_2/e672b0z/
    I'm not too busy to communicate, it's that we want to communicate a majority of 3K news, not Warhammer, as that's the main thing we're promoting at this time.
    "Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • EnforestEnforest Posts: 2,029Registered Users
    Shogun 2 was my last "serious" historical title. I've bought Rome 2 about a year ago on a massive sale, played roughly one full campaign in coop with my friend and never launched it again.

It's not like I am "boycotting" CA for not releasing more WH content, I just don't find historical games interesting anymore.

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
    sagranda2 said:

Arsenic said:

Exactly what I expected when I saw that comment.
    Though I also expect that the "shining knights" will be there within time to "save the day"

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/9gvchw/why_is_there_so_little_info_about_warhammer_2/e672b0z/
    I'm not too busy to communicate, it's that we want to communicate a majority of 3K news, not Warhammer, as that's the main thing we're promoting at this time.
    Well, maybe they'll see the error of their ways when 3K flops like ToB.
  • PoorManatee6197PoorManatee6197 Posts: 459Registered Users
    I like bot warhammer and historical tittles, but CA only have the rights of warhammer for limited time and i want the warhammer world to be as complete as possible when that time is over. So for me CA focusing in 3K and rome 2 and leaving warhammer without new content is disappointing.
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Dragon/Deamon slayer, Doomseeker, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Rune Golem, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Silver Pinacle, Karag Dum, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

Those all missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!
  • chrissher7chrissher7 Junior Member Posts: 2,038Registered Users
    edited September 2018

Arsenic said:

Noticed that it has become salty recently even more than here surprisingly possibly because most here already were after the last teams update. An example is my post about how long it was taking and that it is not acceptable a couple of months ago there. However this got downvoted quite badly. Responses like the ones to me in that are getting downvoted in more recent reddit posts so it has changed dramatically compared to then. While most grace comments are not downvoted most aren’t upvoted massively by anyone either like they used to. Really seems that most people there actually would have preferred a shorter wait which is encouraging for the future.

• Rochaid29Rochaid29 Senior Member Posts: 1,278Registered Users
    The only thing that keeps me mildly interested at this point is my love for all things warhammer since I was a kid, my feelings towards this company have turned from trusting/supportive to downright hostile most of the time (as pointless as that is)

I used to really love this company and always supported every release, even Alien Isolation (which happens to be a nice and well made survival game, and If you are into that type of game it should already be in your game's library)

I was thinking about it, and I'm really not that interested in anything else this company has to offer anymore except warhammer, again....because I love warhammer, but once the trilogy is done, I highly doubt I'll buy another game from them again, It's been a constant disappointment for the past 6 months.

I thought I was going to feel the "itch" for 3K but I've not really seen any videos and other than a comment about language I have not paid much attention to their forums neither.

I'm just waiting to see this new DLC (whenever it's released) that I won't pre-order this time, but wait and read the reviews first, I really really hope the CA guys do a good job with it, but they have lost my trust at this point.

ps: To you, fearless moderators.. this is not "CA bashing" but my feelings, as part of this community, about a company I used to support no matter what.
  • ArsenicArsenic Posts: 4,705Registered Users

Everyone has their last straw I suppose.

Oddly mine was something quite small, the release of the Bone Giant as part of the FLC schedule.

I'd praised CA on this board multiple times for their FLC on that chart being free to everyone, and said it could not possibly be the Bone Giant that was the "sandstorm" unit, as CA doesn't do that, and we should give them credit where it was due.

Thanks for making me look a naive prat, chaps..
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • chrissher7chrissher7 Junior Member Posts: 2,038Registered Users
    edited September 2018
    Arsenic said:

Oddly mine was something quite small, the release of the Bone Giant as part of the FLC schedule.

I'd praised CA on this board multiple times for their FLC on that chart being free to everyone, and said it could not possibly be the Bone Giant that was the "sandstorm" unit, as CA doesn't do that, and we should give them credit where it was due.

I think that reddit is more forgiving and patient so their tolerance just lasted longer even though large bugs were going unfixed and core races were getting shafted for an increasingly long time. However at some point in the not so distant past they also lost patience for it at first due to patching but then more recently they have started to want content as well as patches. Hopefully this is a warning to ca who have taken their patience for granted. After release has just been a massive car crash after a good one for the first game. Everything that could have happened to make it worse has on a consistent basis. Would strongly advise them to divert more rescources to warhammer after this whole fiasco. Second lord pack that will complete the game in my eyes needs to be out in the first couple of months next year.

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,132Registered Users
    I said it before, I'll say it again, they should not waste their time posting updates where all they can say is that nothing's coming, they instead should be way more active in the feedback, balancing and beta-testing forums. The ToB and R2 teams did so before the last DLC hit and it was a major boon to those games since several annoying issues with bugs and gameplay were pointed out and eliminated in the final patch.

The Warhammer team needs to do likewise.
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIPosts: 7,162Registered Users
    Arsenic said:

Even I was hoping to be wrong and that my cynicism was misplaced.

Speaking of the FLC chart, has it been updated since Bone Giant?
    Thrones of Britannia: 69/100
    Warhammer II: 73/100
    Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100 [Age of Charlemagne: 72/100]
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100 [Fall of the Samurai: 95/100]
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100 [Kingdoms: 90/100]
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100
  • DebaucheeDebauchee Junior Member Posts: 1,401Registered Users
    I am not interested in other TW titles, save for Arena.
    I'd love to see a good historical title, but CA does not feel like making one. Both of the new historical titles are technologically bottlenecked: the scale of battles is the same, no improvements in graphics, unit behaviour or animations. On top of that, naval warfare is no longer a thing, because reasons. I can't demand much from the cheap sideshow called "Thrones of Brittania", but "Three Kingdoms"... Despite CA's plans to attract both "Romance" and historical fans, there is nothing for the latter group.
    MrJade said:

Arsenic said:

Why are you still here then? If you think that CA will only ever disappoint you, what's the point of sticking around instead of playing something else?
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIPosts: 7,162Registered Users

MrJade said:

Arsenic said:

Why are you still here then? If you think that CA will only ever disappoint you, what's the point of sticking around instead of playing something else?
    Astoundingly, I am in fact playing other things.

Thanks for caring so much ED.
    Thrones of Britannia: 69/100
    Warhammer II: 73/100
    Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100 [Age of Charlemagne: 72/100]
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100 [Fall of the Samurai: 95/100]
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100 [Kingdoms: 90/100]
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Posts: 1,596Registered Users
    For me, I dont care at all. Not even enough to click a link, about any Total War outside of Warhammer. Until they do a 40K version...
    MrJade said:

MrJade said:

Arsenic said:

Astoundingly, I am in fact playing other things.

Thanks for caring so much ED.
    I guess those other things aren't as amusing as TW then because you spend a lot of time here hoping to get disappointed.

I think CA hasn't handled WH2 well, but I keep coming back because I know they can do better.
  • AIMA_DracklorAIMA_Dracklor Posts: 4,401Registered Users
    SiWI said:

When Wh1 was announced and "historical TW "fans"" complained how DARE CA to make something not 100% of their taste and devote 1000% of its resources to please them, I was disgusted and consider to abandon not historical TW but the historical TW community, which I otherwise viewed myself a part of.

Then 3K was announced and the Warhammer/Fantasy began in some part to show very similar disgusting behavior. Deamanding that every resources CA has (how many people work for CA by now around 500?) must go to WH and WH only and that other games better fail or never be spoken of.
    I was disgusts with that as well.

So yeah the TW community seem to suck in general.

And I'm not even touching on, the amnesia people pretend to have and claim that CA was never criticism for the numbers of DLC's or how they ridicule every information CA gives them (example, the comparably price of a unit with the whole art of a big DLC) and then turns around and wonders why CA isn't more talkative.

I feel like The warhammer community cristism are founded, sure there is some that go far beyond reasonable, but the fact that they announced ToB and T3 before TWW had even 2 DLC is a bit silly, I hate that their release schedul is every 5-6 Months, wich is a long time between patch... they seemed to have abandonned Their newly released game not even a month after by announcing another game and putting all their marketing efforts in it and pushing the first DLC so late

• FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 4,133Registered Users
    Honestly, I've been playing the series since the first Shogun, but I am just burnt out on the historical titles. I didn't play Atilla, didn't play ToB, and if I play 3k at all it won't be until it's on a deep discount. I'm talking 80%.

The franchise was just spinning the drain in terms of new features and novelty. Warhammer turned that around for me. I was immediately interested in a more asymmetrical faction system with real different strengths and weaknesses. Not, every faction has the same units, but this one has +2 to horseys!

I honestly don't know if I'll play another historical title for a long time. 3k does have me interested as its at least a new time period and location which they've desperately needed for some time, but the idea of releasing it during Warhammer kills any appeal for me. Why would I play as one Chinese army fighting an identical army when I could play as Lizardmen fighting the undead? It just doesn't hold the same appeal to me.

I think that's the core of my issues with the scene right now. I only have an interest in these games and CA seems to have taken them off the priority. That in itself isn't too bad because I think they should still make historical titles too. It just seems like right now they are trying to do too much at once and Warhammer got the short end there. But if you listen to people here, it was our own fault for expecting WH2 to have the same level of support as WH1. I mean, it's not like there was any historical precedent for it....
    Later
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,843Registered Users
    edited September 2018
    I am still intrigued by 3K and hope to see good things. It is an area of the world thst has sorely been under covered previously.

I do recommend against buying ToB unless you REALLY, and I mean really really love the setting. It isn't a bad game and it has interesting mechanics but I find it painfully average.
    edited September 2018
    People just don't trust CA anymore.

-We have DLC on the FLC chart as if that's somehow acceptable.
    -Hidden content in DLC held back for later as if not knowing what you're buying is somehow acceptable.
    -Pretending that having to pay for patches with DLC is somehow acceptable.
    -The player-base made to pay full price to beta test Mortal Empires for them is somehow acceptable because they call it FLC even though it comes at the low low cost of two full priced AAA games.
    -"""Separate teams""" Lord packs that now take 5 months instead of 5 weeks with less unique assets than previously which just so happen to coincide with historical titles being made parallel. The fact your marketing team even keeps saying this is just getting more and more irksome.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 13,353Registered Users, Moderators
    I am somewhat interested in Three Kingdoms, but mostly concerned about Warhammer.

That being said, posting this in the Warhammer section is going to result in a biased response.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour

Heard that near constantly since Empire.

It hasn't become any more truthful since then.

Yes it has, it peaks and troughs based on the quality of the content they release at the time.

Yes it has, it peaks and troughs based on the quality of the content they release at the time.
    Hell no. R2, the title where hordes of forumites swore that this was the end of CA not only continued to become CA's best selling historical title, it even retained enough of a playerbase to get patches and DLC five years later.

What people proclaim on the web and what buyers actually do is often very incongruent.