Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Wind blast way too strong, how has it not been changed?

smartemartesmartemarte Registered Users Posts: 151
as the title suggests, I can't believe it hasn't been changed ?

low armour infantry are pretty much eradicated in one blast .... on top of the fact you can bring this on a caster for as little as 400g

I just played someone who got over 106 kills with two wind blast taking out all of my rifle men.

It wouldn't be too bad if you had a chance to move but its almost instant and especially with game lag you have 0 chance of dodging it.

surely I can't be the only one that think's this is a joke ?

Comments

• Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 4,464
    The issue with the spell is its cast time.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 29,382
    HoneyBun said:

You want to change something in game because you lost an MP battle.

:raiseseyebrow:

Except Wind Blast is too strong as it is currently. It comes out practically instantly and is useful against a lot of troop types.

• smartemartesmartemarte Registered Users Posts: 151
    HoneyBun said:

go and play against someone who only uses wind blast, come back and talk to me.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,263
    It's so puss late game against anything with a decent mass or armour, please let my poor Ra'tok slaughter Skaven in the early game.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~

Kia Kaha and C'est La Vie Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • KayosivKayosiv Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,727
    Overcast windblast deals a lot of damage even to heavily armored infantry as I recall.
    Space Frontier is a sci-fi themed board game I've designed for 2-4 players. Please take a look and enjoy our free Print-and-Play at FreezeDriedGames.com

If you have any questions about tactics or mechanics in Total War Warhammer multiplayer, feel free to PM me.
  • Omega_WarriorOmega_Warrior Registered Users Posts: 824
    edited September 2018
    HoneyBun said:

You mean like every other balance change made thus far?

Balance has almost always been decided in multiplayer since that's where it actually matters.
  • ShaddShadd Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 457
    They did change it. You can now direct which way you want it to fire without having to re-position your caster.
  • SephlockSephlock Registered Users Posts: 2,463
    Do you want weak spells? Because this is how you get weak spells.
    #JusticeForUshoran #RuneGolems #RuneGuardians #ShardDragons #Thunderbarges #Stormfiends #BigMonsters #MoreDakka
  • KayosivKayosiv Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,727
    Sephlock said:

Do you want weak spells? Because this is how you get weak spells.

Yes. I want weak spells that cost low winds of magic and strong spells that cost high winds of magic. When the low winds of magic spells start being super strong... it's bad.
    Space Frontier is a sci-fi themed board game I've designed for 2-4 players. Please take a look and enjoy our free Print-and-Play at FreezeDriedGames.com

If you have any questions about tactics or mechanics in Total War Warhammer multiplayer, feel free to PM me.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,651
    AoE magic in general is ridiculously strong atm. Wind Blast isn't even the worst culprit as the way its formula works it doesn't do good damage to already damaged targets.

But yes, being able to one shot any ranged unit in a backline multiple times in a battle is pretty nuts.

Wind of Death and others are way worse, 200+ kills in a single cast, even against elites in multiplayer. I don't care how much magic it costs, no spells should be THAT strong against ALL troop types, aimable, and undodgeable.

Those spells, Final Transmutation, Dwellers Below, etc. etc. have really dumbed down the strategy of this game and made it where one cast of one spell can determine an entire battle.

One cast of one spell should be able to determine the outcome of a key engagement or a flank. Not decimate 25%+ of your opponent's entire army.

• Wyvern2Wyvern2 Registered Users Posts: 1,604
    Valkaar said:

AoE magic in general is ridiculously strong atm. Wind Blast isn't even the worst culprit as the way its formula works it doesn't do good damage to already damaged targets.

But yes, being able to one shot any ranged unit in a backline multiple times in a battle is pretty nuts.

Wind of Death and others are way worse, 200+ kills in a single cast, even against elites in multiplayer. I don't care how much magic it costs, no spells should be THAT strong against ALL troop types, aimable, and undodgeable.

Those spells, Final Transmutation, Dwellers Below, etc. etc. have really dumbed down the strategy of this game and made it where one cast of one spell can determine an entire battle.

One cast of one spell should be able to determine the outcome of a key engagement or a flank. Not decimate 25%+ of your opponent's entire army.

You do realize most of those spells see next to no use, right? I can't remember the last time I saw anybody use dwellers below in MP. It gets telegraphed a mile away and does mediocre damage when it does hit, which can be avoided just by leaving the AOE. The last time I saw wind of death it chipped off like 15 models on a unit of spearmen, and once again, it gets telegraphed for like 5 seconds before going down. Final Transmutation is only going to determine the entire battle if you literally just blob up and let it hit your entire army. Wind blast is strong because tehres almost 0 wind up and the damage it does is ridiculous. Compare it to other breath spells like bray scream, or ead butt and its damage output is just ridiculous.
    Regularly publish Total War: Warhammer 2 content on my YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI93p-X2T4YKD18O16bhPw
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,651
    Wyvern2 said:

Valkaar said:

You do realize most of those spells see next to no use, right? I can't remember the last time I saw anybody use dwellers below in MP. It gets telegraphed a mile away and does mediocre damage when it does hit, which can be avoided just by leaving the AOE. The last time I saw wind of death it chipped off like 15 models on a unit of spearmen, and once again, it gets telegraphed for like 5 seconds before going down. Final Transmutation is only going to determine the entire battle if you literally just blob up and let it hit your entire army. Wind blast is strong because tehres almost 0 wind up and the damage it does is ridiculous. Compare it to other breath spells like bray scream, or ead butt and its damage output is just ridiculous.
    I mean, i use Wind of Death, Dwellers Below, Final Transmutation or Wind Blast pretty much every MP match I play.

Out of that whole group, Wind Blast has single handedly won me fewer battles than any of the other four. I agree Wind Blast is too strong imo. But I can usually only wipe out a unit at a time with it.

Whereas those other three, I've wiped out 2,000-3,000 gold in single casts multiple times.

Wind Blast for me has killed that much gold for me over the course of a battle. But usually only 700-1,000 gold per cast.
  • luther84695luther84695 Member Registered Users Posts: 567
    some people should stick with historical games. Those games have no spells.
  • AwesomeLionAwesomeLion Member Registered Users Posts: 1,228
    I think Wind Blast is fine as it is. Spells are meant to be powerful. Of course there is a fine line there (ref. to older fate of bjunna and dwellers below), but wind blast I would say is at a good place- strong, but not game breaking.
    Total War: Warhammer <3
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,540
    Haha have you seen wind of death? Even better:D love it
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • Green0Green0 Registered Users Posts: 7,517
    Valkaar said:

Wyvern2 said:

Valkaar said:

I mean, i use Wind of Death, Dwellers Below, Final Transmutation or Wind Blast pretty much every MP match I play.

Out of that whole group, Wind Blast has single handedly won me fewer battles than any of the other four. I agree Wind Blast is too strong imo. But I can usually only wipe out a unit at a time with it.

Whereas those other three, I've wiped out 2,000-3,000 gold in single casts multiple times.

Wind Blast for me has killed that much gold for me over the course of a battle. But usually only 700-1,000 gold per cast.
    The stuff you describe happens pretty rarely and only vs bad opponents, good opponents stagger lines, form space and bring chaff. Also, Wind of Death costs 30 WoM and has a great cue that makes it easy to avoid it. Dweller requires the opponent to blob up which happens rarely and its damage has been nerfed substantially some time ago.

Wind Blast in contrast has very short cast time, low WoM cost and is great at killing spaghetti lines
    mightygloin_fan_1
  • ViktorTWWforumViktorTWWforum Registered Users Posts: 1,116
    DarkLordD said:

Haha have you seen wind of death? Even better:D love it

You are SP player capable to beat only AI. In MP skill cap is far more higher. You need to meet complete idiot to cast this super expensive and slow-cast spell against perfectly lined elite infantry to achieve good result.
  • ViktorTWWforumViktorTWWforum Registered Users Posts: 1,116
    Valkaar said:

Wyvern2 said:

Valkaar said:

Were you find such amount of noobs ? I almost never see Wind of Death and Dwellers Below ( FT is different story ). High WoM cost, several seconds for cast and perfect line/superblob of elite infantry - all this things are needed for cost-effective cast.
  • endikuxendikux Registered Users Posts: 494
    Complaining about one of the most well balanced type spells in MP? Really?

Wind Blast is the baseline for how all spells should work. There is opportunity for both the aggressor and defender in Wind Blast. It's the definition of a skill check. Decide when to best use it, and watch for how to best dodge it.
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 1,658
    I love wind blast, it works fine as it is
  • Wyvern2Wyvern2 Registered Users Posts: 1,604
    endikux said:

Complaining about one of the most well balanced type spells in MP? Really?

Wind Blast is the baseline for how all spells should work. There is opportunity for both the aggressor and defender in Wind Blast. It's the definition of a skill check. Decide when to best use it, and watch for how to best dodge it.

There is 0 opportunity for the defender because the cast time is basically 0. Even if you do notice the flicker of cast area and try to respond, your units are not going to have any chance to get out of dodge.
    Regularly publish Total War: Warhammer 2 content on my YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI93p-X2T4YKD18O16bhPw
  • smartemartesmartemarte Registered Users Posts: 151
    I can't help but think that the people saying it is fine only play campaign ....
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,263

I can't help but think that the people saying it is fine only play campaign ....

You can call us the 95%.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~

Kia Kaha and C'est La Vie Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.