Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Beta Patch Dev Team Communication Missing

Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior MemberPosts: 21,787Registered Users
edited September 2018 in General Discussion
I said this twice already, but why isn't there Warhammer dev responding to the beta-patch feedback thread? When ToB and R2 got their DLC a while ago, the betas leading up to it had devs talking to the people posting bugs or gameplay issues and discuss in detail what would and what wouldn't be changed and the thoughts behind it.

Why can't Warhammer get the same treatment? With no feedback it feels like you're wasting your time and your contributions aren't appreciated. Forget about "news", this is the sort of communication that is needed here.

Comments

• MarcusLiviusMarcusLivius Senior Member Posts: 638Registered Users
    Because the WH community has been so consistently toxic, that those discussions prove fruitless?
  • ReeksReeks Posts: 2,159Registered Users

Because the WH community has been so consistently toxic, that those discussions prove fruitless?

There will always be toxic hate frothing members in a game community just like there will always be knights of a white persuasion on a never ending crusade to come to the defense of publishers, what is silly beyond words is to generalize a whole community on behalf of the actions of the few.
    Reeks said:

There will always be toxic hate frothing members in a game community just like there will always be knights of a white persuasion on a never ending crusade to come to the defense of publishers, what is silly beyond words is to generalize a whole community on behalf of the actions of the few.
    Sometimes the actions of a few are enough to ruin it for everyone else.

I don't think that CA has a terribly consistent communication model, and perhaps if they did they would avoid certain issues. That being said, when they do communicate they tend to pay a heavy price for that communication. If it were me running one of my departments, I would likely recommend silence as the best course of action as well.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    Reeks said:

Then you have others who white Knight for the few annoying people and then make silly excuses about generalizing people when you are doing exactly that. Being passive aggressive towards other people is a sure sign of toxicity.

I haven't seen one White Knight on this forum yet just because people have different opinions and it's against yours doesn't mean they are White Knights. That's just generalizing a few as you said so yourself. So take your own advice and stop being silly.
  • harngersteinharngerstein Posts: 811Registered Users
    In response to the OP: I agree, it sucks. It would be nice to know what things were on their radar

In response to the other posters: he's talking about the balance/ support threads. They actually tend to be quite civil and productive compared to the general discussion threads. Guys like CA_Ato and CA_Duck used to frequent them every day and communicate with the players quite regularly. They've been gone for a while...
  • psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,492Registered Users
    Pretty sure Duck, and other devs that have posted, did not get toxic hate in response to their explanations.

The lack of feedback more recently is certainly not a positive sign. A withdrawal from the community, even if it's a toxic pile of ****, results in an insular environment with less of a connection to the world around them.

I'm in the honesty is the best policy crowd, so if the ME debacle shat upon the DLC schedule for all eternity, rip the band aid off and call it a day. If it didn't? Silence ain't the brightest response when dealing with entitled children regardless, it certainly isn't the response if the news would be positive compared to all the doom and gloomers obsessing over their instant gratification withdrawal.

Even "**** off, we're busy working on the new WH2 DLC and don't have time for your bitching" would probably go over positively compared to the silent treatment.
  • GwydionGwydion Senior Member Posts: 2,166Registered Users
    I honestly think its simply sega forcing CA to make as much "product that generates income " with as little manpower / time as possible.... right now they are busy working on 3k and other crap and i doubt they have any resources to spare on wwarhammer... they don't want to admit that after saying " we have seperate teams don't worry" comment.
    PLEASE CA!!! Chaos Warriors need a faction that is not horde only by the time the trilogy is finished! We beg of you!

Just Realized this topic has been viewed more, the topic of " Limiting Race Expansion/ Colonization Expansion" alone than more than half of the stickied things at the top of the forum... I hope you are too CA and I mean that in a positive way from a huge fan!

Please improve sieges! Add racial flavor and ACTUALLY make them "deeper rather than wide" copy and paste with different art needs to go!
  • luther84695luther84695 Member Posts: 465Registered Users
    I don't think CA needs to respond to whiners. If you are unhappy with the game, then just don't buy it.
    psychoak said:

Even "**** off, we're busy working on the new WH2 DLC and don't have time for your bitching" would probably go over positively compared to the silent treatment.

I mean, isn't that kinda what Grace said today?

Face it, it's easy to spew off hate at faceless "CA" or "Sega", but it's not CA or Sega that have to deal with all the garbage. It's real actual people, that are probably working pretty hard to deliver you, me and everyone else good products. It can be hard to shut out negativity at work and not have your whole life be affected, or on the flip side to cope with the negativity you close yourself off to caring and the quality of the product suffers instead.

Maybe the feedback to the devs was not like most the rest of the forum. I don't know.

They have also given a lengthy response about DLC for WH2, and have also stated how much more DLC they intend to release this year. One more. I guess you can say they are lying, but I have no reason to not believe they are not being honest.

• NemoxNemox Posts: 2,708Registered Users
    edited September 2018
    There are always hateful comments on every possible platform for games. When companies like Paradox go through their dev diaries you get the usual overreactions from some posters. What is interesting is the more a company did it (And focused on the technical rather than marketing) the more those comments were drowned out by an enthusiastic community.

If CA were more keen to discuss the technical aspects and challenges, people might better understand CA and their own issues more. Would it please everyone? Hell no and nor should it. Aiming to make everyone happy is one of the best ways to **** everyone off.

It is a vicious cycle and the more CA stay reclusive to this community, the more it just repeats exactly what happened with TWC. The loyal fanbase disappeared and the haters were 'vindicated' in their eyes. Let's not have that again please.
  • makar55makar55 Posts: 1,826Registered Users
    Nemox said:

There are always hateful comments on every possible platform for games. When companies like Paradox go through their dev diaries you get the usual overreactions from some posters. What is interesting is the more a company did it (And focused on the technical rather than marketing) the more those comments were drowned out by an enthusiastic community.

If CA were more keen to discuss the technical aspects and challenges, people might better understand CA and their own issues more. Would it please everyone? Hell no and nor should it. Aiming to make everyone happy is one of the best ways to **** everyone off.

It is a vicious cycle and the more CA stay reclusive to this community, the more it just repeats exactly what happened with TWC. The loyal fanbase disappeared and the haters were 'vindicated' in their eyes. Let's not have that again please.

XDDDDDDDD

TWW1 = DLC every 2 months

TWW2 = DLC every 6 months

TWW3 = DLC per year.
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 4,145Registered Users

I don't think CA needs to respond to whiners. If you are unhappy with the game, then just don't buy it.

If you’re so happy with the game why aren’t you playing it instead of posting completely unhelpful posts?
    Later
  • NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 3,349Registered Users
    He's right, it's not about replying to whiners, or there is toxicity just duck your heads.

It's not all about advertisement it's about bugs, balance, and feeling out the general community feel on individual minutia. That is right not completely neglected and given the silent treatment. It would be healthier to reply to that. Simply that.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 17,233Registered Users
    edited September 2018
    Is no one responding to the bug threads anymore? I forget who was collating them.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • CA_DuckCA_Duck Posts: 1,483Registered Users, CA Staff
    edited September 2018
    Well I'm still here and reading the forums, just not as active as I used to be in terms of replying as I picked up some new hobbies.

As for the reinforcement fix beta, that is a targeted beta aimed towards ensuring that the reinforcement issue is fixed. A lot of the other bugs that are already present in Queen & Crone live build are known to us already and we are working towards fixing the known issues.
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 10,221Registered Users
    CA_Duck said:

Well I'm still here and reading the forums, just not as active as I used to be in terms of replying as I picked up some new hobbies.

As for the reinforcement fix beta, that is a targeted beta aimed towards ensuring that the reinforcement issue is fixed. A lot of the other bugs that are already present in Queen & Crone live build are known to us already and we are working towards fixing the known issues.

You guys should do a "look we fixed the bugs" video before the next DLC drops. Confederate Alith Anar as another HE lord and show his stances working. Show the loyalty mechanics. Show reinforcements coming in as intended. Show blessed spawnings appearing and show a siege without artillery trying to melee the walls.

It would be a way to build hype and good faith for the DLC.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 5,165Registered Users

That's priceless. Dealing with dissatisfied customers is literally the reason customer services exist. Stop treating them like they are abused children. They are well paid professionals, folks.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 17,233Registered Users
    edited September 2018

CA_Duck said:

You guys should do a "look we fixed the bugs" video before the next DLC drops. Confederate Alith Anar as another HE lord and show his stances working. Show the loyalty mechanics. Show reinforcements coming in as intended. Show blessed spawnings appearing and show a siege without artillery trying to melee the walls.

It would be a way to build hype and good faith for the DLC.
    Not sure how that could be done sans parody. Would be perfect with an anger translator.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
    edited September 2018

Reeks said:

Then you have others who white Knight for the few annoying people and then make silly excuses about generalizing people when you are doing exactly that. Being passive aggressive towards other people is a sure sign of toxicity.

I haven't seen one White Knight on this forum yet just because people have different opinions and it's against yours doesn't mean they are White Knights. That's just generalizing a few as you said so yourself. So take your own advice and stop being silly.
    I pointed out that there is extremes on every game forum..... the people spewing nothing but toxic fumes in all directions and their counterpart that rides on a never ending crusade on their shining white steeds, then i stated that to generalize a whole community is extremely silly by saying things like "Wh community is consistently toxic, none of this is false..none of it, so take your pseudo pocket psychology and direct is somewhere else.

Btw you pointing out that you are oblivious to spot a single white knight on these forums tell me one thing, that you might belong in one of the extreme parties, think about that for a bit.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,919Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Let's all stop making personal remarks about people, or groups of people, making comments. Discuss, for or against, if you want, but do it without involving personalities, in specific or in general.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin

Reeks said:

Sometimes the actions of a few are enough to ruin it for everyone else.

I don't think that CA has a terribly consistent communication model, and perhaps if they did they would avoid certain issues. That being said, when they do communicate they tend to pay a heavy price for that communication. If it were me running one of my departments, I would likely recommend silence as the best course of action as well.
    I guess your right a few can cause immense damage if they gather enough support and that is no small problem for publishers these day i reckon, but in my eyes that´s no excuse for labeling the WH community as toxic as a whole.

I think CA would be better off changing their communication style to be completely transparent and upfront with any changes to policies, it seem to me that they rarely communicate with us as a baseline and when they do it´s in some cases only after community outrage.

They seem to have some sort of internal policy that states "In the name of hyping we shall retain maximum level of secrecy of upcoming content" Where i think it would grant them way more leniency from the community if they released tidbits of information from the very beginning of DLC creation, to have the community feel part of the process, one week we get to see artwork for one upcoming unit with a tidbit of lore connected with it(Maybe even CA´s reasoning behind choosing said unit for roster inclusion), the next week we might have a look at a new mechanic that´s upcoming and the reasoning behind it and on and on until release, i for one would love that and feel way more engaged.

Also CA´s choice to focus their marketing on specific products at any given time is personally for me not satisfying, they have the numbers regarding how many of their costumers cross over from say Fantasy to Historical, and if these numbers say that they loose sales by promoting multiple games i guess they won´t change that policy and i understand that, i will still feel frustrated about it though, some times i feel like they forget that some of us no not cross over to the darkside, we hunger only for fantasy content.

I am acutely aware that no matter witch communication policy they chose to hold on to they will get flak for it, that´s just the state of things, though i truly believe that if they connected better with the community and made us feel more included i think the general satisfaction of the community would reach levels where the extreme minorities would be if not silenced then dampened to the point of irrelevance by the rest of the community.