Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

So... What now?

FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 2,625
I know CA tends to avoid discussing what's next for ToB, but the Allegiance Update has been live for a while now and we still have no clue on what's to come. Are we getting some news soon?

Comments

• InocybeInocybe Registered Users Posts: 154
    The Allegiance update has been live for less than three weeks ... Try being a little patient.
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 2,625
    I'm not asking for much, just the confirmation that the game is still being worked on. Even in this content drought, we vaguely know what's next for the other TW games, but we know nothing about ToB's future. Just knowing that a follow-up patch for the Allegiance Update is in the works would be reassuring.
  • ESKEHLESKEHL Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 484
    I would really like to see a new campaign of some sort or faction packs, would be fun playing as Northleode trying to retreive the kingdom of Northumbria for example.

In terms of a dlc campaign, I see it would be hard to move away to another theater, but perhaps depict the initial viking invasions? Or perhaps the normand invasion?

The other option would be a full scale grand campaign map dealing with much of Europe. And I wonder if that`s possible with a game focused on the british isles
  • lessavinilessavini Registered Users Posts: 7
    There's still a considerable amount of work to do in regard to bug cleaning and rules tweaks, so I doubt CA will stop there. I bet we will hear something in the next month or so.
  • DariosDarios Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 427
    I don't really see what else CA could possible do for ToB, save for a few faction unlocks or further gameplay tweaks.

I'd rather just see them go back to Attila and create new DLC content for it.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,117
    I don't think they ever intended ToB (or any potential future "TW: Saga" game) to get the same amount of additional content and DLC as a full Total War game, like Warhammer or Rome 2.

To be honest, I actually don't know what more they could add realistically. Probably a faction pack that adds an additional playable faction to each culture. Maybe a Norman invasion DLC, but I doubt it.

Beyond that, I don't really see much beyond maybe one, at most two game updates. I mean, aside from some bug polishing and maybe tweaking some existing mechanics, what else is there that needs to be done?

Not trying to be a Negative Nelly here, just saying it as I see it.
  • Total_War_VeteranTotal_War_Veteran Registered Users Posts: 446
    Since the game emphasizes on food supply for troops, having a fertility level for each region (like in ATTILA) is a nice addition, to stimulate conquering fertile region for it's food supply. You guys agree ?
    Full support for CA and CA_Ella
  • eXteNioneXteNion Registered Users Posts: 37

Since the game emphasizes on food supply for troops, having a fertility level for each region (like in ATTILA) is a nice addition, to stimulate conquering fertile region for it's food supply. You guys agree ?

Was there much of a difference? I guess the villages providing food are the most fertile ones anyway.
  • plethonplethon Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 17

I don't think they ever intended ToB (or any potential future "TW: Saga" game) to get the same amount of additional content and DLC as a full Total War game, like Warhammer or Rome 2.

To be honest, I actually don't know what more they could add realistically. Probably a faction pack that adds an additional playable faction to each culture. Maybe a Norman invasion DLC, but I doubt it.

Beyond that, I don't really see much beyond maybe one, at most two game updates. I mean, aside from some bug polishing and maybe tweaking some existing mechanics, what else is there that needs to be done?

Not trying to be a Negative Nelly here, just saying it as I see it.

A Norman invasion DLC would be great.
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,386

I think this is baked in with the pre-set villages. More fertile - wheat; less fertile - cows and orchards; not fertile - no farms.
    edited September 2018
    How about : elite armoured units, with high tier, if they got rout , it will affect the morale of the less elite / lower tier one ? So it's like the effect of routing or killing general or king but now it extends into elite higher tier unit as well. Because, in this age, armoured soldier with experience (usually thegn, housecarl) got placed in the forefront, while the less trained and equipped were placed behind them. Just like the composition of Harold's army, the housecarl positioned in the forefront, and after they got wiped out, the rest ran away without even fighting. IMO, will make the elite units feel really elite and truly your core unit while the levied ones were like "supplement" and can't be depended upon.

Historically, levied troops were the ones that always ran in the first sign of trouble and rarely do they stand up to the last(if never at all)

After campaign map got updated, it's time for the battle aspect to be given the same care as well..
    plethon said:

What would make such a DLC different from the endgame of the current campaign?
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,117
    Darios said:

plethon said:

What would make such a DLC different from the endgame of the current campaign?
    Yeah, I mean how would a Norman Invasion campaign even play? I'm guessing the early game would be focused on establishing a foothold on the south coast of England and then methodically working your way up the island from there on. It'd play pretty much the same as Wessex, only you'd be using a Norman roster.

If, however, we're talking about the actual Norman Conquest of 1066, then no, I can't see it happening. I really doubt CA is going to create an entirely new campaign based around it, at least not in ToB.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 1,370
    Perhaps expand the map towards France the historical arch enemy of England so that one can continue invading the main continent or vice versa.
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomRegistered Users Posts: 1,433
    I'd love more DLC for Thrones, but I too am unsure exactly what form it would take.

And has the mixed reception on release and subsequent heavy patching changed any plans?

But surely, if they are going to include a 'DLC' tab on the main menu, there is going to be more than just blood... right?
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 2,625
    edited September 2018
    Mattzo said:

I'd love more DLC for Thrones, but I too am unsure exactly what form it would take.

And has the mixed reception on release and subsequent heavy patching changed any plans?

But surely, if they are going to include a 'DLC' tab on the main menu, there is going to be more than just blood... right?

That's what I'm worried about, and why I made the topic in the first place. It feels like the Allegiance Update was supposed to be a turning point, but while it's a nice step in the right direction, it's far from perfect. The steam reviews went from 57% positive to 46% positive since the update, which is a shame since the game just needs a little tweaking to be perfect. However, the silence since the update's release does not seem like a good sign...

If there is no further DLC, at the very least I hope there will be a few more patches to fix the game's problems (bugs, broken achievements, and the unforgiving loyalty system). This game has so much potential, I want it to end on a positive note.
  • kinjokinjo Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,610
    I like Thrones a lot and hope CA will produce additional content, that said I would prefer to see features added with some playable factions added.

As far as features go:

-bring agents back in a limited capacity even if it is just 1 per faction it would liven up the campaign map a bit
    -expand diplomacy to fix some corks like not being able to annex vassals and trade/gift regions
    -expand on the estate system and add a peer system that has proper titles in front of names like King, Jarl, etc!
    -add ancillaries

I was kind of disappointed there are no prefix titles in the game, Medieval 2 had these and it just seems like it should be part of the game.

For culture packs and faction expansion:

High King of Irieland - This could be an expansion that adds a few playable Irish factions like Ulaid, Aileach, and Connacht with a quest to become the true High King of Ireland. The expansion could add more basic Gaelic style clothing and some new weapons like slings, darts, and a better range of Gaelic shields to include medium shields.

Ca could do something similar for the Welsh and the Scots as well.

But yeah that is the direction I would like to see CA take if they continue to support Thrones.
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomRegistered Users Posts: 1,433
    "Right now, we’re figuring out our priorities and putting together some additional ideas for future updates, more news when we get it."

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-augtember-2018

So, there's hope.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
    I honestly really enjoy playing Thrones - in bits and spurts. Every once in a while, I fire up a new campaign and have a blast. The campaign features are deeply immersive and it makes for a great experience. It's very easy to tell that it was a labor of love for CA, and I can respect and admire that.

Ultimately, Throne's problem is that the theme is simply far too limited to hold public interest. Each battle feels almost exactly the same, and despite every little tweak they made to each faction - they are all still ultimately almost the same exact thing. The root of this issue lies in the fact that CA went to the "VIKINGS!" well one too many times in regards to both this title and Attila and there is now a visible backlash.
  • SpookySprucesSpookySpruces Registered Users Posts: 9
    I would honestly rather them work on anything else than Thrones of Britannia at this point.
    I don't think that is a fair assessment as the game still has some serious potential imo, CA just needs to bring some of the basic features back like stances and agents to start imo. But maybe it is too late for Thrones to gain any serious traction as first impression seem to be a big problem for Thrones. Well I'm on board for anything team Thrones does as I really don't see 3K as an option.
    kinjo said:

I don't think that is a fair assessment as the game still has some serious potential imo, CA just needs to bring some of the basic features back like stances and agents to start imo. But maybe it is too late for Thrones to gain any serious traction as first impression seem to be a big problem for Thrones. Well I'm on board for anything team Thrones does as I really don't see 3K as an option.

ROME II still being worked and updated, because the playerbase number. But TOB playerbase is not..as populated as ROME II. They should do something to make the playerbase increased (regular sale, incremental patch/updates, etc). Free blood DLC if you have it on Attila is a good start !
  • InocybeInocybe Registered Users Posts: 154
    edited September 2018
    kinjo said:

CA just needs to bring some of the basic features back like stances and agents to start im

Agents and stances were removed by choice, because they are terrible. It is not basic features, it's bad and outdated game mechanisms.