Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Empire Total War compared with other Total War games

IncendioIncendio Posts: 50Registered Users
What is your opinion about Empire Total War? In my opinion, it would have been my favourite not only Total War but also among any other pc games. 18th century is one of my favourite periods of History, and thanks to Empire Total War some years ago I started to read books covering the warfare of this century, I have books about naval warfare and land warfare.

I remember the first time I watched a video about Empire Total War, it was a naval battle between ships of the line and I couldn't stop searching and watching videos back in 2009. In fact, I purchased Empire Total War to play naval battles, but then, I discovered land battles and I also liked them. It would have been my favourite pc game but is not due to I had and still having problems with performance even in 4 computers since 2009. For a reason I can't understand at this moment, Napoleon and Shogun 2 run better on my current computer than Empire Total War, being this one older than Napoleon and Shogun 2. Another personal reason that Empire Total War is not my favourite pc game is that I feel the game is too ambitious, and this is good, but is not as detailed and deep as Napoleon and Shogun 2, for example, in regards of historical battles, one of my favourite features of Total War games.

Do you have an opinion? I would like to read your point of view.

Comments

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,783Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Great Game, bugs unfixed and all. Still play it now, and have a current campaign. Love the naval action.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,605Registered Users
    What time period was Empire TW set in?

I prefer Renaissance, 30 years war and Great Northern War though.
  • ColfaxColfax Senior Member Posts: 969Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

What time period was Empire TW set in?

I prefer Renaissance, 30 years war and Great Northern War though.

It was set in the 18th century. Also, the campaign featuring the USA went into the first quarter of the 19th century.
    Incendio said:

Do you have an opinion? I would like to read your point of view.

Thanks for posting. I would love to chime in. I hope I can offer you some perspective on the game. When the game came out, everyone forgets this now, it was the first TW title to feature naval battles. It was worth getting it for that. The naval battles were a bit silly and had more of an arcade feal to them, but it was fun playing them.

Now, I've spent hundreds of hours playing both the original game and the game with mods and there is a lot to love and hate about it. I loved the variety of nations, the trade routes, the units, the map with three major theaters, the tech tree, the philosopher agents and the sea battles. In all, I actually liked the off-battlefield features like trade goods (commodity value), trade routes and research as much as I liked the battles.

I hated the pathetic battle AI because it was useless. The sheer number of bugs like forts not repairing even though you paid to have them repaired on the campaign map. The uselessness of the campaign maps i.e. movement and no real affect on terrain or difference for different units. Ship movement by the 18th century was far faster than anything could move on land and this was not reflected in the slightest in the game. The artillery calibers were way to big for the time as you could quickly get 12-pounders. The overall really bizarre ship types that were over powered like the Galleons, and the ship rating system that was only based on the Royal Navy. You could also sail against the wind. Most of my complaints swirls around non authenticity of historical things. In summary, the campaign could have been completely overhauled, poor battle AI, all of the bugs should have been fixed and movement should have been completely reworked.

This did not stop me from playing it for hundreds of hours though. I'm glad to hear that some people still enjoy it. The positives really out weighed the negatives. My wish dear CA would be an overhauled Empire TW.
    Vinum bonum sapere. Nunc est bibendum. Italia patria populi Romani et aliorum populorum est.
  • GreenKing1GreenKing1 Senior Member Posts: 637Registered Users
    Got 400 hours on that game, absolutely love it. Especially with Darthmod Empire! Got a campaign going with Saxony at the moment.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,783Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    I've 3900+ hours (recorded, more off line) and continue to play. Have an active game now. Never played with mods. in my opinion it is one of the most 'replayable' games that Creative assembly has developed (bugs, warts, and all issues unresolved.)
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Posts: 173Registered Users
    Amazing context, but it's unplayable without mods, even visually. Quite sad, my favourite period wrecked by the most bugged and rushed Total War game. In front of it, 2013 Rome II looks like a masterpiece. This article sums up my experience:

http://mirror.uncyc.org/wiki/Empire:_Total_War
    Nestor.

Allah, Suriya, Bashar w Bas!