Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Unit textures popping in and out with camera movement

manwithnoshoesmanwithnoshoes Posts: 11Registered Users
I've started to notice a popping issue with the textures on units. They go from high detail to low detail as the camera moves away, rather than just getting smaller. I have tried:
  • Verifying game files in Steam
  • Reinstalling game
  • Removing ALL mods
  • Rolling back to an older Nvidia driver
  • Setting graphics to reccomended

My specs are:
GPU: GTX 1080 ti
CPU: i7-8700k
RAM: 16 GB
Warhammer 2 is running on an SSD.

My settings don't seem to matter much, as I'm getting the same results on all ultra. Has this every happened to anyone else? Can someone tell me what to do? It's disconcerting to see units 'ripple' as I move the camera around.

Comments

• DMA64DMA64 Posts: 67Registered Users
    edited October 2018
    Without seeing what exactly you mean I would make a guess and say that is normal and not a bug. When you zoom out the high quality models get changed with a low quality one, pretty common in games. As far as I know there is no option in game to change this. For WH1 there was a mode that changed that but of course at cost of some performence

Edit: Search for LOD in the steam workshop
  • manwithnoshoesmanwithnoshoes Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited October 2018
    DMA64 said:

Without seeing what exactly you mean I would make a guess and say that is normal and not a bug. When you zoom out the high quality models get changed with a low quality one, pretty common in games. As far as I know there is no option in game to change this. For WH1 there was a mode that changed that but of course at cost of some performence

Edit: Search for LOD in the steam workshop

Huh. I've never seen it before, which is why I started this thread, but after looking up LOD like you said it definitely seems like something somewhat common.

Here's a good example. In the first pic you can see the brighter, pale white color on the shields of the Ork Boyz.

While here the bright colors are gone. It's fairly annoying when the color 'ripples' in and out as I move my camera.

So is this unavoidable? I have a pretty damn good rig, so I should be able to avoid such 'popping' with the mod, but if there's a way to do it without destroying performance I would love to hear it.

Yep, that is the LOD change. And it can get annoying once you notice it, so most times one doesn`t notice it is like a dead pixel on a monitor it gets worse when you know it is there.

You can keep playing and once the game grabs you, you will notice it less in the heat of battle.

Or like is said: Steam Workshop -> Search: No Unit Lod

I´ve just tested it with a 1080 and i5 and it seems to be fine, so I`ve capped my framerate to 39 fps.
    edited October 2018
    DMA64 said:

Yep, that is the LOD change. And it can get annoying once you notice it, so most times one doesn`t notice it is like a dead pixel on a monitor it gets worse when you know it is there.

You can keep playing and once the game grabs you, you will notice it less in the heat of battle.

Or like is said: Steam Workshop -> Search: No Unit Lod

I´ve just tested it with a 1080 and i5 and it seems to be fine, so I`ve capped my framerate to 39 fps.

So it happens to you too, even on the higher settings? I've had people tell me it shouldn't happen at all on ultra. Still not sure why it just now grabbed my attention, as I've been playing this game since it came out. Was it less intense before or something? I'll give that mod a try. Thank you for your help.
    You are welcome. And yes it happens to me too, I would even say it happens to anyone but most people are happy enough to not notice it. I guess you just noticed it now because of this one unit - like they say: ignorance is bliss. Depending on the unit it gets more or less noticeable.

I`m afraid there is there is no way to get better visuals without losing some performence, this LOD change is already a pretty clever trick and they would have to come up with a new one to achive this. Also doing some quick testing you should be fine with the mod.
    edited October 2018
    Hate to bring this up one more time, but I just noticed one more thing. I reinstalled, and I'm now seeing a 'line' as units go still as the camera moves away, then enter idle animations as the camera gets closer. Is this normal too? The no unit LOD mod does not appear to affect it.
    Post edited by manwithnoshoes on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file