Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Will a 3+ player Campaign be on the agenda?

tywinLannistertywinLannister Senior MemberPosts: 205Registered Users
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
There's no reason for there not to be a 4 player campaign (unless it is a technical issue).

If it's simply because "people don't want it", then;

I often wonder why people would want to refuse the idea? If you don't want to play a 4 player campaign, fine, then don't! Me and my friends would love to play a 4 player campaign. It's subjective, you don't have to play it if you don't want to so why complain about it? It's really not a problem to me and my friends of how long it'll take, we can do other things on our computers, it's just better to play a campaign where all of us are involved then to start multiple campaigns with everyone individually.

If it's technical, then I'm not going to tell them how they should do only that it shouldn't be off the table. I'm sure working towards bigger multiplayer options shouldn't be off the table. I'm not saying it'd be easy, I'm saying they should work for it. "Easy said than done", sure, but I don't care when it's released only that it becomes something in the future.

To be honest, the multiplayer options is what's keeping me from buying further into the Total War series, I stopped at Attila. We honestly would only get 3K if it has a bigger multiplayer campaign feature.

Comments

• tfwoods3tfwoods3 Posts: 844Registered Users
    Just 2 player
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,391Registered Users
    We don't even have naval battles, do you honestly think they should focus their ressources on something that only a very small portion of the playerbase will use? Not even saying how they would be able to manage the endless turns...
    I feel multiplayer campaign is too prone to disaster.

On Warhammer, when playing alone I could play at my own pace and not cheese too much, actually role play the story developing. When playing with another player, it felt like a race of power, resources, and leveling up. I felt I constantly needed to do the power plays to outpace the other player. It had it's fun parts, but overall I did not like cheesy moves to level my heroes, gain territory and advantage.

• IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Posts: 604Registered Users
    People barely even play 2 player CO-OP in Warhammer, and coop still is slow, buggy, and crashes a lot.

Do you seriously think they're going to have 3, let alone 4 player coop when 2 player coop barely works?
  • tywinLannistertywinLannister Senior Member Posts: 205Registered Users
    tfwoods3 said:

I feel multiplayer campaign is too prone to disaster.

On Warhammer, when playing alone I could play at my own pace and not cheese too much, actually role play the story developing. When playing with another player, it felt like a race of power, resources, and leveling up. I felt I constantly needed to do the power plays to outpace the other player. It had it's fun parts, but overall I did not like cheesy moves to level my heroes, gain territory and advantage.

That is literally your problem, not mine. It honestly isn't hard to wait patiently for someone to do their turns... in Attila we'd have 15 minute turns the bigger our Empires got, and our campaigns last for weeks (with work inbetween obviously).

Simple fact is; if you don't want to play with other people, so be it, I couldn't care less. You can play it by yourself, nobody is stopping you from doing that.
    Fossoway said:

We don't even have naval battles, do you honestly think they should focus their ressources on something that only a very small portion of the playerbase will use? Not even saying how they would be able to manage the endless turns...

Naval battles are trash anyway, good riddance.

People barely even play 2 player CO-OP in Warhammer, and coop still is slow, buggy, and crashes a lot.

Do you seriously think they're going to have 3, let alone 4 player coop when 2 player coop barely works?

Yeah it's a thing called development, and campaigns work fine on their previous titles.

"people barely play co-op", yeah well we bloody do. Again, people out there would like to play with their friends- you don't have to.
    I remember KOEI Romance of the Three Kingdoms, we had 3 players doing hot seat out a cabin on the lake, and we just had another game going at the same time that you could work on while waiting for your turn. It was one of the funnest times ever.

If they had hot seat, it would be rare for players to use it, but when they did, it would be glorious. It would be very easy to setup secondary activities to kill the time between turns.
  • BenjinBenjin Junior Member Posts: 256Registered Users
    I've been wanting more than two players in co-op / versus (maybe even a "free for all" version) ever since Rome II. I'd definitely suggest the series more to my friends if I knew we could set up a good, long-lasting multiplayer campaign out of it (e.g. hotseat).

Currently working on a whole lot more, stay tuned.
  • SHEEVESHEEVE Posts: 1Registered Users
    This would be fantastic! so many of my friends only play multiplayer RTS games and the fact that only two people can play the campaign together has always put them off any total war game.

personally I think a drop in/drop out system would work perfectly because it would allow people to leave if they need to and rejoin the game at a later stage.

I have also seen a lot of different discussions on this topic on various different platforms, with people very excited about the Idea but does anyone no if CA has addressed this in detail?