Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Why the dislike for CA's expanded lore?

CarognaCarogna Registered Users Posts: 314
GW killed Warhammer and went on to create AoS which a good share of people considers an inferior setting (myself included). Why are so many people adverse to CA expanding on the foundations that GW laid and later abandoned?
If anything CA is breathing new life into a setting that would otherwise see none.
Team Skaven
Team Dark Elves

Comments

• baronblackbaronblack Registered Users Posts: 3,211
    There's always the CRTB (Content Refusal Troll Brigade)

Just ignore.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 23,888

Just ignore.

Actually, it's the Rome2 Fabricated Outrage Brigade. The R2 board didn't get much traffic and so they've come here to get their daily two minutes hate.

Just ignore.

Actually, it's the Rome2 Fabricated Outrage Brigade. The R2 board didn't get much traffic and so they've come here to get their daily two minutes hate.
    As usual.
  • lordreaven448lordreaven448 Registered Users Posts: 250
    It's just weird. I don't mind new characters, but it just feels odd that the Vampire coast only has 2 Vampires. In all honesty, her design and lore is VERY Warhammer in style. Phantom of the opera + Fat lady opera meme is 100% Warhammer. It's absurd, funny, and metal at the same time.
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 5,472
    I don't dislike it!

Don't get me wrong, if they're going to create a brand new character, a drowned opera singer isn't what I would have chosen, but I certainly don't object to the principle at all.

As you say, WHFB is dead as far as GW is concerned, if CA want to give it a new lease of life in digital form, then more power to their metaphorical elbow.
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • CarognaCarogna Registered Users Posts: 314

It's just weird. I don't mind new characters, but it just feels odd that the Vampire coast only has 2 Vampires. In all honesty, her design and lore is VERY Warhammer in style. Phantom of the opera + Fat lady opera meme is 100% Warhammer. It's absurd, funny, and metal at the same time.

Well, the Wood Elves have no Wood Elf LL so..
    Team Skaven
    Team Dark Elves
    Carogna said:

I don't follow what you mean.

Carogna said:

I don't mean much besides that I think 2 more vamps is enough considering we already have VC. A mutant and a ghost breaths in some diversity which is cool in my book.
    Team Skaven
    Team Dark Elves
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 7,753
    Honestly, some of the existing "official" characters were invented late enough in WFB's run that if it hadn't been canned, there would probably have been new special characters by now. Possibly replacing some of the existing ones.

Carogna said:

We are also getting more generic vampire characters.
    Team Skaven
    Team Dark Elves
  • Rochaid29Rochaid29 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,385
    edited October 2018
    For me as long as it stays true to form im good with it.
    But with this last addition as a LL I'm not too sure I like her for the role..looks more like an agent.

I NEED lore on her damnit! I need to read more than a few lines of "oh she fat, drowned and angry"
  • ArstellandaArstellanda Registered Users Posts: 341
    Of all things, this certainly shouldn't upset people that much, that is adding new stuff to a currently defunct setting, literally resurrecting something that should have survived.
    They're not butchering the lore, so I don't think this deserves to be treated like this.

However, I could understand if one piece of criticism is that they really had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to make Vampire Coast a 4 LL DLC in the first place when there is already available *cough* material *cough*.
    At the moment though, checking people's comments, that doesn't seem to be the case so yeah.

I like the direction in terms of "potential", adding stuff to the game AND Warhammer is nice and can give use some proper closure in the end.
    But as with all things, because we're left in the dark in regards to future content, who knows what they might cut that should be in the game, and what they might add in place as a surrogate.
    Rochaid29 said:

For me as long as it stays true to form im good with it.
    But with this las LL as a LL I'm not too sure I like her as a Lord..looks more like an agent.

I NEED lore on her damnit! I need to read more than a few lines of "oh she fat, drowned and angry"

Yours is a valid concern, hopefully she'll be more fleshed out!
    Team Skaven
    Team Dark Elves
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 5,472
    Rochaid29 said:

Must be quite infuriating being brought back as an overweight ghost, yet unable to actually eat.
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • NemoxNemox Registered Users Posts: 2,872
    Arsenic said:

Rochaid29 said:

Must be quite infuriating being brought back as an overweight ghost, yet unable to actually eat.
    "No! I'm dead... well atleast I won't be fa---

Oh for ****'s sake."
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 23,888
    Nemox said:

Arsenic said:

Rochaid29 said:

"No! I'm dead... well atleast I won't be fa---

Oh for ****'s sake."
    Well, it's not like she's weighed down by it anymore.

• John_KimbleJohn_Kimble Registered Users Posts: 573
    edited October 2018
    I love how everybody was raging after the very first reveal: "UGHHH STOP WITH THE VAMPIRE LOVE CA, DEAD GAEM".

Now it's "UGGGHH ONLY 2 OUT OF 4 ARE VAMPIRES?? LORE DESTROYED, THIS SUCKS"

Luckily the ourage is mostly contained just here. Reddit's all happy and hyped, for example (no wonder CA's more present there).

I also love how every whine is being countered by reveals:
    1) Noctilus has no CHIN!! - He's got the 'iconic' chin
    2) Saltspite is a vampire!, it's her in the artwork! If she's living she must have a mixed roster! - It wasn't her in the artwork, she's living and has a mixed roster
    3) 4th lord is that pointles Copher princess what the hell! - an OC from CA.
    4) God this sucks Vangheist should be in the game - Just got confirmed by Andy pretty much, that he's ingame.

As a massive WHFB fan since 5th edition times, i'm super happy about this and very excited for the future of this game.
  • Black_PhillipBlack_Phillip Registered Users Posts: 484

It's absurd, funny, and metal at the same time.

This might be the best description of Warhammer.

• KrilralKrilral Member Registered Users Posts: 910
    I think it's more that the question is: "what lore though?".

I'm perfectly fine with CA making up units and characters, and I'll stand up for Tretch Craventail any day because he brought a unique "personality"/playstyle with him, but I can understand that when CA makes up some obscure character with almost zero lore to them, people would have wished to play a character with more...well character.

It's like the question of why we got Ghorst when we already have Kemmler, but Neferata is still left out.
  • Lord_KamionLord_Kamion Registered Users Posts: 959
    I for one am all good she is in. The problem is Saltspite.

They wanted a caster lord. There weren't any readily available, none of the ones mentioned (silver princess..etc) made any sense. So creating a lord is all good. CA more than welcome to create Total War lore when there isn't any GW lore
  • SchwarzhelmSchwarzhelm Registered Users Posts: 1,187

I love how everybody was raging after the very first reveal: "UGHHH STOP WITH THE VAMPIRE LOVE CA, DEAD GAEM".

Luckily the ourage is mostly contained just here. Reddit's all happy and hyped, for example (no wonder CA's more present there).

2) Saltspite is a vampire!, it's her in the artwork! If she's living she must have a mixed roster! - It wasn't her in the artwork, she's living and has a mixed roster
    4) God this sucks Vangheist should be in the game - Just got confirmed by Andy pretty much, that he's ingame.

As a massive WHFB fan since 5th edition times, i'm super happy about this and very excited for the future of this game.

The one who raged the most against the Vampires was Ephraim_Dalton, now he is their biggest defender.

I see that dig at me, I just want to point out that I wasn't expecting a ghost but another vampire.
  • vintagepurplevintagepurple Registered Users Posts: 800

Yeah this is pretty funny.

Right before the reveal trailer the whole first page of the forum was "Vampite COAST WTF CA why why my looooooooore"

A day later suddenly every minor Dreadfleet jerkoff with a paragraph's worth of backstory was this beloved figure everyone was waiting for.
  • ZoRobinZoRobin Registered Users Posts: 198
    When there are tons of cooler things and missing units in other rosters yet they waste time and resources on ... this ugly OC. eww

Iru
  • SchwarzhelmSchwarzhelm Registered Users Posts: 1,187

Yeah this is pretty funny.

Right before the reveal trailer the whole first page of the forum was "Vampite COAST WTF CA why why my looooooooore"

A day later suddenly every minor Dreadfleet jerkoff with a paragraph's worth of backstory was this beloved figure everyone was waiting for.
    Are the ones who complained about Vampire the same who are disappointed now?

• ArstellandaArstellanda Registered Users Posts: 341

What about the "There are other more relevant races with much more info that fit in Game 1 and 2 alone with more iconic characters and yet went with another minor that is comparably unknown, especially when pitted against one that was actually official."?

What you listed is not all that people complained about, and while the direction this is going has the potential to be really good, we still don't know what the future has in store for us.
  • Michael4537Michael4537 Registered Users Posts: 2,232

Comment of the day
  • WalashWalash Registered Users Posts: 348
    edited October 2018

Just ignore.

Hello! The CRTB here
    Making my first steps in the brigade with this last DLC.

It shouldn't surprise you that people advise / complain / feedback on forums. That is the point.

Surprised people want CA to respect the already established lore? It shouldn't
    Surprised people would have preferred an actual faction with a very deep lore instead of a white dwarf faction that have never ever been seen on anyone's table? I am saying that literally. I have never seen any in 15 years of tournaments and clubs. Not even on forums or websites.

It is good advise for companies to listen to what there fans want. They make the success of the company. But if you want CA to tell us to shut up, ask EA how this works out. You can also elaborate on how much our forums comments have ruined your experience of the game (like I have read so many time :o )

CA is globally doing a very good job at listening to their fans and respecting the lore of the game that is making their success. They still need to respect the lore though and will have complains every time they don't.
    And we are happy to get VCoast as well, but it should have been in complement of DoW
  • PoorManatee6197PoorManatee6197 Registered Users Posts: 652

How is that vangheist is in the game?
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Dragon/Deamon slayer, Doomseeker, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Rune Golem, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Silver Pinacle, Karag Dum, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

Those all missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!
    Walash said:

Just ignore.

Hello! The CRTB here
    Making my first steps in the brigade with this last DLC.

It shouldn't surprise you that people advise / complain / feedback on forums. That is the point.

Surprised people want CA to respect the already established lore? It shouldn't
    Surprised people would have preferred an actual faction with a very deep lore instead of a white dwarf faction that have never ever been seen on anyone's table? I am saying that literally. I have never seen any in 15 years of tournaments and clubs. Not even on forums or websites.

It is good advise for companies to listen to what there fans want. They make the success of the company. But if you want CA to tell us to shut up, ask EA how this works out. You can also elaborate on how much our forums comments have ruined your experience of the game (like I have read so many time :o )

CA is globally doing a very good job at listening to their fans and respecting the lore of the game that is making their success. They still need to respect the lore though and will have complains every time they don't.
    And we are happy to get VCoast as well, but it should have been in complement of DoW
    So you are advocating to cut content, make less pack in the name of an unchangeable lore? I'm against these guys. Not you.
    I read **** like "IT'S SJW, CA IS LIKE EA" even TODAY
    Or "PETITION TO REMOVE HER FROM THE GAME"

Sorry, but you are certainly not in that category, I respect you Walash too much to bring you in that filth.
    That's the definition of CRTB