Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Looks perfect, but need a reskin of Scurvy Dogs and Sartosan Pirates

gholingholin MemberPosts: 1,037Registered Users
CA really missed an opportunity with the Scurvy dogs to make them appear like they were dragged from the sea.

I mean, all they had to do is make them pale skinned, matted fur, covered in starfish and barnacles, and have seaweed in their manes. They would have looked amazing.

As for sartosan pirates, wow. They need serious love. We all know that.

It seems like for these two units in particular they were incredibly lazy.

I hope CA changes these units before release! They were the worst two units showcased.


Comments

  • lillemakkenlillemakken Posts: 9Registered Users
    Agreed.

    Especially the Sartosa Logging Company. Visually, what are they even doing in that faction?

    Then you could also bring up the scurvy dogs and fell bats and possibly the Banshe-- I mean Syreens
  • Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Posts: 2,810Registered Users
    Agreed.

    Unit redundancies inside a faction don't typically bother me. Like the 7 zombie variants. But some of the units are just 1 to 1 from other factions. And that's annoying. Do something to differentiate between the two. Even Giants don't look exactly identical per faction.
  • JollyRogeroJollyRogero Member Posts: 641Registered Users
    The Sartosan Pirates in their current state should be a source of embarrassment to CA. They are actually less Pirate-like and poorly executed than already existing modded units. Considering the disparity in the toolset available to modders and CA this display is nothing less than shameful!
  • ShadowOmenShadowOmen Posts: 84Registered Users
    I agree. CA is still in time to reskin these units.
  • ptavangarptavangar Posts: 1,099Registered Users
    gholin said:

    CA really missed an opportunity with the Scurvy dogs to make them appear like they were dragged from the sea.

    I mean, all they had to do is make them pale skinned, matted fur, covered in starfish and barnacles, and have seaweed in their manes. They would have looked amazing.

    As for sartosan pirates, wow. They need serious love. We all know that.

    It seems like for these two units in particular they were incredibly lazy.

    I hope CA changes these units before release! They were the worst two units showcased.


    I mean, at the very least they could have gotten rid of the scuvy dog's mane or something. Or changed the color of their mane. Or made them a bit smaller. SOMETHING.

    It would also be nice if they changed syreens too.

    And the terrorgheist… how about giving us a new monster in its place please...
  • JDog91JDog91 Junior Member Posts: 483Registered Users
    edited October 2018
    Sartosan free company should have the similar variations to the zombies. One with guns, one with anti-infantry melee and the current one with some changes.

    That way Aranessa players could at least use a frontline of actual pirates instead of having some random humans in there.
  • ptavangarptavangar Posts: 1,099Registered Users
    JDog91 said:

    Sartosan free company should have the similar variations to the zombies. One with guns, one with anti-infantry melee and the current one with some changes.

    That way Aranessa players could at least use a frontline of actual pirates instead of having some random humans in there.

    In fact, I'm sure our wonderful modders will make living unit variants for each of the zombie units for Aranessa.
  • JDog91JDog91 Junior Member Posts: 483Registered Users
    ptavangar said:

    JDog91 said:

    Sartosan free company should have the similar variations to the zombies. One with guns, one with anti-infantry melee and the current one with some changes.

    That way Aranessa players could at least use a frontline of actual pirates instead of having some random humans in there.

    In fact, I'm sure our wonderful modders will make living unit variants for each of the zombie units for Aranessa.
    Thank goodness for mods.
  • gholingholin Member Posts: 1,037Registered Users
    It'd be nice to have official assets fixed though. Like someone said before, it's gotta be kind of embarrassing for CA to have done such a disservice to the pirates. it's like they didn't even try.

    Instead of the terrorgeist, I would have loved another rotting leviathan type, a rotting merwyrm or a kraken, something more fishy than crabs. We have crabs everywhere. Would love one more sea monster in the roster.

    That said, the rest of the roster looks amazing.
  • ptavangarptavangar Posts: 1,099Registered Users
    gholin said:

    It'd be nice to have official assets fixed though. Like someone said before, it's gotta be kind of embarrassing for CA to have done such a disservice to the pirates. it's like they didn't even try.

    Instead of the terrorgeist, I would have loved another rotting leviathan type, a rotting merwyrm or a kraken, something more fishy than crabs. We have crabs everywhere. Would love one more sea monster in the roster.

    That said, the rest of the roster looks amazing.

    The abyssal terror would've been great. Or a bone hydra. Or a sea giant even (although lord knows we don't need more giants). Or a sea dragon. Or a kraken (although do they come on land much?). The point is that there were plenty of other monsters to choose from and there is no excuse for this level of laziness.
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 4,544Registered Users
    All this screams low budget to me.
  • ptavangarptavangar Posts: 1,099Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

    All this screams low budget to me.

    And yet we have people insisting that this is up to the same standard as the TK DLC or better. How can they say that? It isn't even CLOSE to being on the TK's level. Get on my level son!
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Posts: 3,717Registered Users
    Both these units show a distinct lack of effort. The Sartosans in particular are as embarrassing as the Charlemagne comment. I haven’t seen the Syreens yet, but I’m expecting a simple Banshee unit.

    They shouldn’t be including dlc units that look like something modders can replicate in their free time.
  • KayosivKayosiv Senior Member Posts: 2,612Registered Users
    Can confirm that they are just a unit of identical banshee models as of the stream.

    Hopefully we'll see some improvements before release.
    Space Frontier is a sci-fi themed board game I've designed for 2-4 players. Please take a look and enjoy our free Print-and-Play at FreezeDriedGames.com

    If you have any questions about tactics or mechanics in Total War Warhammer multiplayer, feel free to PM me.
  • hendo1592hendo1592 Posts: 1,499Registered Users
    edited October 2018
    They are charging typical Campaign pack prices-more effort is needed.

    Edit: **more effort is needed in the mentioned units’ detail-I don’t want to take away the clear effort that was put into the rest of the dlc.

    I really hope something gets addressed especially to sartosa freeman-they stick out like a sore thumb.
    Post edited by hendo1592 on
  • SindrissSindriss Posts: 380Registered Users
    We already have normal wolf models in game. They should of used those with a new skin.
  • azitraxazitrax Posts: 116Registered Users
    I just want to say that I am really looking forward to this DLC. I think 95% of it looks amazing.

    The Dogs, Terrorgiest and Syreens are lackluster, but I could probably live with them. They definitely did not put the same amount of effort into reskinning them as they did with the various giants.

    The Sartosans though just plain suck. They look like an empire militia unit of some kind. There is nothing piratey about them. I can't believe they even had the balls to show them, that's how bad they are. Worse yet, they showed them last. What a way to leave everyone watching the stream with a bad taste in their mouth.

    For god's sake the Empire Free Company Militia look more like pirates than the actual friggin pirates.

  • hendo1592hendo1592 Posts: 1,499Registered Users
    azitrax said:

    I just want to say that I am really looking forward to this DLC. I think 95% of it looks amazing.

    The Dogs, Terrorgiest and Syreens are lackluster, but I could probably live with them. They definitely did not put the same amount of effort into reskinning them as they did with the various giants.

    The Sartosans though just plain suck. They look like an empire militia unit of some kind. There is nothing piratey about them. I can't believe they even had the balls to show them, that's how bad they are. Worse yet, they showed them last. What a way to leave everyone watching the stream with a bad taste in their mouth.

    For god's sake the Empire Free Company Militia look more like pirates than the actual friggin pirates.

    To be fair, I don’t think it would have mattered when they showed them. The last min of the stream was probably the best. Maybe not best but at least it was a classic move—
    look at this great looking stuff, ooh and this over here and now ....here’s the imperial pirates they fill a gap in the VP roster...alright well (enter plug here) see you soon more news to come BYE!

    I’m exaggerating (a little bit). Though it certainly didn’t help when CA staff said I love the empire theme :neutral:
  • azitraxazitrax Posts: 116Registered Users
    hendo1592 said:

    azitrax said:

    I just want to say that I am really looking forward to this DLC. I think 95% of it looks amazing.

    The Dogs, Terrorgiest and Syreens are lackluster, but I could probably live with them. They definitely did not put the same amount of effort into reskinning them as they did with the various giants.

    The Sartosans though just plain suck. They look like an empire militia unit of some kind. There is nothing piratey about them. I can't believe they even had the balls to show them, that's how bad they are. Worse yet, they showed them last. What a way to leave everyone watching the stream with a bad taste in their mouth.

    For god's sake the Empire Free Company Militia look more like pirates than the actual friggin pirates.

    To be fair, I don’t think it would have mattered when they showed them. The last min of the stream was probably the best. Maybe not best but at least it was a classic move—
    look at this great looking stuff, ooh and this over here and now ....here’s the imperial pirates they fill a gap in the VP roster...alright well (enter plug here) see you soon more news to come BYE!

    I’m exaggerating (a little bit). Though it certainly didn’t help when CA staff said I love the empire theme :neutral:
    Yeah, I was very unimpressed with the Livestream. The three guys didn't seem to know much about the lore and the audio was terrible. Can't believe that the production engineer couldn't lower the game sound so that we could hear the commentary. Although considering how little they obviously know about the lore maybe it was a blessing in disguise.
  • SindrissSindriss Posts: 380Registered Users
    The livestream was fine. the design of this DLC is a disaster.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Posts: 3,717Registered Users
    Sindriss said:

    The livestream was fine. the design of this DLC is a disaster.

    Except for all the well designed cool **** we’re getting. One or two missteps is forgivable.
  • endikuxendikux Posts: 473Registered Users
    The bar was set very high when CA said the much longer time between DLC would result in much higher quality releases.

    It's CA's own standard that this would be very high quality. Is this the best CA can do then? When 5 months of development time are they happy with these missteps with half a year spent working on this?
  • GunKingGunKing Posts: 561Registered Users
    endikux said:

    The bar was set very high when CA said the much longer time between DLC would result in much higher quality releases.

    It's CA's own standard that this would be very high quality.

    VERY good point. I saw this promo image of Aranessa today, and it has her recycled lumberjacks in full display. These models are placeholders at best, there's no way the producers would have the balls to say this is the final unit. I will not play Aranessa because of them at this point, and I will leave a negative review for the DLC out of principle alone if they remain unchanged, though I am sure the DLC will be mostly excellent, this kind of corner cutting for PAID CONTENT is inexcusable.

    image

  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 4,544Registered Users
    GunKing said:

    endikux said:

    The bar was set very high when CA said the much longer time between DLC would result in much higher quality releases.

    It's CA's own standard that this would be very high quality.

    VERY good point. I saw this promo image of Aranessa today, and it has her recycled lumberjacks in full display. These models are placeholders at best, there's no way the producers would have the balls to say this is the final unit. I will not play Aranessa because of them at this point, and I will leave a negative review for the DLC out of principle alone if they remain unchanged, though I am sure the DLC will be mostly excellent, this kind of corner cutting for PAID CONTENT is inexcusable.

    image

    What's inexplicable is that there is a already a modded roster for Sartosa, and every single unit in it is better than the lumberjacks. Just copy-paste. At times seems like CA goes out of its way just to do ugly things, like with Cylostra.
  • Elder_MolochElder_Moloch Posts: 1,504Registered Users
    I don't think that anythinh is "needed" in terms of visual presentation of units, which have issues with their looks.

    If to count zietnot (18 days until release), I think bigger priority should be for stuff, which can't be fixed easily later by Devs or easily with mods.
    Additional Mechanics, Units (maybe there are still some - hope so), LLs, etc.
    Reskins could wait, imo.



    But if to go only with visual part, I would say that these units I would like to be changed one way or another:

    - Terrorgheist - I find most important, since it's borrowed and shared unit with Counts. I really hope it works differently.
    I would personally add small platform on it's back with few pinned/attached zombies or small cage on it's back where, Zombies could sit and shoot. It would be interesting, since this platform/cage would give it only rear ranged ammo attacks or only when Terrorgheist landed.
    I would also give it "Infested" like TG had in TT, so after it's death it would blow up (similar to Bloated Corpse).
    Since Large units are presentation units for such races, I do think it should be priority #1 among anything I would mention below.

    - Direfin animations - there seems something strange with how she lift her head, specifically with her neck. Don't know about her arm with fan at this point.
    - Direfin's Ethereal Hero - he acts exactly like human with that scream and gesture, when raising his hand. I would prefer it not to have this animation at all, so he would act more calm and more undead like
    - Saltpite's Free Company - yeah, it doesn't look nice. I think Free Company Militia would be better unit to represent them. Also I wonder, if they really need AP Axes. Maybe some high non-ap Damage would work. Having to versions (ranged/non ranged) would be cool (for ranged Free Company Militia could be straight copied).
    Anyway, both human units (Saltpite and her crew) feels like last second decision (still think Saltpite as Vampire would be way easier to handle) and more like extras for Human fans, so kinda already a compromise.
    - Syreens - give them colour differentiation inside unit (from sea-green to aquamarine). They actually have different dresses, face and decoration assets. It just drowns behind this monotone colour.
    - Scurvy Dogs - I would personally prefer them to borrow models from Hounds, rather than Wolves, but it's not that needed.
    I think adding mold and seaweeds to their models would be more than enough.


    Questionable:
    - (?) Saltpite - based on Stream, she has less issues with her head and face expressions. Still, maybe her decoration assets should block her face slightly less.
    - (?) Zombie faces - based on Stream they look quite similar. Based on screenshots and Direfin trailers they have different types of mutilations. So don't know. Would be cool, if they would have some differences.
    - (?) Fell Bats - Bats are bats, I don't know what could be changed and is that even needed. It's a throw away unit and it looks dark anyway. It's way cheaper and less visible, than even with Wolves. So eh. They could be tehnically changed into Deck Droppers Bats. So they would be all Larger, but with smaller model count, but not sure that's needed, especially since I think Fell Bats were added for balance aspect with their Very Fast Expandable Flying Infantry form factor.


    But again, I guess even Terrorgheist is not such a big priority and we need to see more or even wait until release.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sign In or Register to comment.