Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Best total war game for a beginner?

ArvindmundheArvindmundhe Posts: 3Registered Users
I am new to the total war game and have only played a couple demos, there is a sale going on right now so i was wondering which one was the best for someone new to the series, the ones that have caught my eye are warhammer, attila, shogun 2 and rome 2.

Comments

• ExarchExarch Posts: 575Registered Users
    I would recommend warhammer - itis very solid, with so much variety in the battles and streamlined campaign mechanics, which should make it easier starting off, and the campaign difficulty settings work well for a variable challenge.

If you prefer history, then Rome 2 could be good, the factions are pretty varied for a historical title. The campaign AI is a bit less challenging at harder difficilties, but as a beginner that isn't necessarily bad.

I wouldn't recommend Attila for a new player, there's a lot of complexity in thr campaign management and large faction starts with more pressure from the AI.

Shogun 2 is a very solid old game, and one to get if you like samurai! It holds up pretty well for an older game. One main weakness is that pretty much all the factions are similar. I recommend the fall of the samurai expansion for it too.
  • oldwangoldwang Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited October 2018
    History: Rome 2
    Magic: Warhammer 2

Attila is a bit difficult for novices,
    the shogun's movements are very good, but the system is different from the current game.
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 2,057Registered Users
    I'd suggest Shogun 2 and then Rome 2... then Attila if you want to get an idea of the historical feeling.

If you just want a large variety of different styles and types of armies... Total War Warhammer is your best bet, magic, monsters and lots of fantasy elements.

Or just wait for Total War Three Kingdoms... it's a Historical-Fantasy Hybrid, that will combine the best of both to make the ultimate game! Hopefully...
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin