Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The effects of Brexit on CA

SiWISiWI Senior MemberPosts: 10,144Registered Users
edited October 2018 in Total War General Chat
Listening a lot about Brexit lately I can't wonder what effects it could have on CA.

While importing and exporting, even under WTO rules, shouldn't be a problem for CA, given they product, but they will have difficulty to recruit people.

Which makes me wonder:
was the buying of the studio in Bulgaria a Brexit emergency plan?

Could CA move its studio, if Brexit goes very badly?

Or could CA perhaps get damage on a scale it might not be able to recover.
Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892

Comments

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 3,943Registered Users
    Brexit is a bad idea for everyone. I don't think it would affect CA to the point of nonrecovery, it will just make life harder. I wouldn't blame them if they moved to mainland Europe.
  • TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Posts: 150Registered Users
    It's not an emergency plan, huge companies like SEGA will not be seriously affected by Brexit. CA recruited that studio in Bulgaria, because it's the EU country with the lowest salaries, which renders it an easily profitable investment. The team is quite small and not very experienced with TW, which why they are mostly preoccupied with secondary projects and soon-to-be-forgotten DLCs, like Empire Divided and the Rise of the Republic.
    Nestor.

Allah, Suriya, Bashar w Bas!
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,144Registered Users

It's not an emergency plan, huge companies like SEGA will not be seriously affected by Brexit. CA recruited that studio in Bulgaria, because it's the EU country with the lowest salaries, which renders it an easily profitable investment. The team is quite small and not very experienced with TW, which why they are mostly preoccupied with secondary projects and soon-to-be-forgotten DLCs, like Empire Divided and the Rise of the Republic.

Sega will survive, largely because it isn't British, but CA coukld get hurt by a Sega looking at CA suffering from Brexit and cut they loses.

And while I have no proof that it is a emergency plan the timing does raise a eyebrow doesn't it?
    Brexit negotiations aren't going well and CA/Sega just happen to buy a studio within EU borders even thou they may not have too much initial use for them.
    SiWI said:

Sega will survive, largely because it isn't British, but CA coukld get hurt by a Sega looking at CA suffering from Brexit and cut they loses.

And while I have no proof that it is a emergency plan the timing does raise a eyebrow doesn't it?
    Brexit negotiations aren't going well and CA/Sega just happen to buy a studio within EU borders even thou they may not have too much initial use for them.
    I don't think Sega would cut CA, because videogame companies will be one of the less affected. It's engineering firms, delivery firms, manufacturing firms (especially those that use JIT), farmers, fruit picking etc.

SiWI said:

I don't think Sega would cut CA, because videogame companies will be one of the less affected. It's engineering firms, delivery firms, manufacturing firms (especially those that use JIT), farmers, fruit picking etc.
    probably, while CA may have troubles with stuff members, its products should be fine.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,197Registered Users
    I don't see them having problems recruiting. I'd say computer game designers would be classed as high skilled and I'm also guessing they'd need to be fluent in English which fits all the current requirements to be allowed in. Plus if they are directly recruiting and not just inviting that would also be a reason for a work visa and thus let the new staff in. Only issue I can see is effective pay & cost of living.

Bigger issue would be on the impact on the running costs and keeping staff here. Power cost is likely to go up and the effective wages would go down and cost of living go up so people might be more open to move away.
  • TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Posts: 150Registered Users
    SiWI said:

CA is 100% property of SEGA. If the need arises, I am sure that SEGA has the financial resources to circumvent any legal problems that may arise from Brexit, even by completely absorbing CA. Start anew with an inexperienced and badly paid studio in Bulgaria is too risky for such a minor inconvenience like Brexit. However, since you mentioned it, maybe the Bulgarian studio can work as a pretext to superficially move the base of the company to a EU member state, just in case.
    Nestor.

Allah, Suriya, Bashar w Bas!

SiWI said:

However, since you mentioned it, maybe the Bulgarian studio can work as a pretext to superficially move the base of the company to a EU member state, just in case.
    that was what I meant:
    the new studio as exit strategy.
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,195Registered Users
    I am not too familiar with the specifics on Brexit- how would the Sofia team be an exit strategy?

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
    daelin4 said:

I am not too familiar with the specifics on Brexit- how would the Sofia team be an exit strategy?

There's a lot of companies that want to confirm access to the single market and all its benefits. however, I don't think this is an issue for CA/Sega due to the nature of their business.
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 1,924Registered Users
    Doubtful it would have any effects on SEGA/CA... it might would probably benefit them tenfold!
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin

Doubtful it would have any effects on SEGA/CA... it might would probably benefit them tenfold!

how so?

it harder to get people from the EU to work for them and given that the UK living coast will probably be worse off, I doubt they will have anything from it.