Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Physical resistance cap ?

DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,360
Hey everyone,

Quick question, I am playing as Madame Cylostra Direfin and would like to know the cap on physical resistance.

As an ethereal unit, she has 75%, her lord skill gives her another 5%, my armour hives her 7% at the moment with makes a total of 87%.

Now I can give her a talisman that gives another 10%. Would like to know if it has any effect, since I am not sure what the caps are on these things.

Thanks you
Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor

Comments

• Green_SpearGreen_Spear Registered Users Posts: 3
    Physical resistance does have a cap ( not sure what it is) But you can stack different types of resistances, including "ward save" Ward save is an all damage reduction, so you can with something like an Opel amulet (22% ward save) make her completely immune to physical damage ( you can also do this with banshees for vampire counts)
  • KaffeemannKaffeemann Registered Users Posts: 99
    The cap is 90% for all resistances.
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,109

The cap is 90% for all resistances.

no only for wardsave and pysical if I have 10% missle resistance and 90% wardsave I am imunne to missle damge same for magi and fire

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • ItanusItanus Registered Users Posts: 126
    No you are not immune,because resistances don't stack at the same time.I don't know the actual order of them,but they go one by one reducing damage.For example you have 23% wardsave and 80% physical resistance that means that the unit has physical damage reduced by 80% and then any(ward save) damage by 23%.Or the other way around(first ward save then phisycal res).I've noticed that while having my dammned paladin with 23% ward save nad 80% physical res take damage(from only phisycal weapons).
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,838
    It was 90% in WH1 and I am pretty sure it is 75% in WH2. But they don't stack directly.

If you have a mix of resistances Ward save will count first, then whatever you are getting attacked by covers the remainder of the range from end of Ward save to cap of 75%.

Pretty sure that's how it's calculated.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 8,321
    edited November 2018

It was 90% in WH1 and I am pretty sure it is 75% in WH2. But they don't stack directly.

If you have a mix of resistances Ward save will count first, then whatever you are getting attacked by covers the remainder of the range from end of Ward save to cap of 75%.

Pretty sure that's how it's calculated.

I told once before the cap is 90%. And it stacks by addition.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/216932/why-are-flaming-attacks-a-value-instead-of-a-boolean-in-the-db/p2
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • rymeintrinsecarymeintrinseca Registered Users Posts: 753
    Ward and physical definitely stack to 90%. Game files, dev confirmation, etc here:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/221065/do-physical-resistance-and-ward-save-stack

The only remaining point is how missile and fire resist stack. I think they can also only stack to 90% when combined with other resists or ward. I have some testing results to support (≠prove) that in the linked thread.

If anyone has any proof that they stack beyond 90% I'd be happy to see it. I have my suspicions it's just based on Kholek regening (after beating Isabella) at the rate he received missile damage in WH1, which has been passed down in folklore as '100% missile resistance'.
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,360
    Not such an easy question it seems. But from most comments it seems 90% is the cap but resistances go by order if I red correctly. So ward first, then what hits you.

So let's take an example please to clarify if I got it right;

Lord has 23 ward, 50 physical and 30 missile

Then it goes like this ;

Lord gets hit by melee; first - 23% wardsafe, then -50% physical. Of an arrow hits him fight after, first again -23% wardsafe, then -30% missile.

Correct ?

But cap for physical is 90% right ? Also for wardsafe and missile??
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • rymeintrinsecarymeintrinseca Registered Users Posts: 753
    DarkLordD said:

Not such an easy question it seems. But from most comments it seems 90% is the cap but resistances go by order if I red correctly. So ward first, then what hits you.

So let's take an example please to clarify if I got it right;

Lord has 23 ward, 50 physical and 30 missile

Then it goes like this ;

Lord gets hit by melee; first - 23% wardsafe, then -50% physical. Of an arrow hits him fight after, first again -23% wardsafe, then -30% missile.

Correct ?

But cap for physical is 90% right ? Also for wardsafe and missile??

It's additive so there's no such thing as order of resists.

In your example, assuming the melee is physical damage, it's just 23+50=73% resist.

For missile, again assuming physical damage, it's 23+50+30=nominal 103% resist, actually capped at 90%.

For magical damage melee or missiles you'd have to replace the physical resist value with the magical resist value.

If it's flaming, you again put the resist (or vulnerability) value in there. So for instance against sisters of Avelorn arrows (missile, flaming and magical) you'd have 23+30+magic resist+fire resist.

The main thing to remember is that physical and magical are the two main damage types, all damage being one or the other. Missile and flaming are additional properties.