Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Diplomacy in Total War: THREE KINGDOMS - Part 2

CA_JamesCA_James Posts: 294Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team

You’ve been waiting for it, here it is – Diplomacy Part II. Diplomacy is reaching new levels in the upcoming Total War: THREE KINGDOMS and is more subtle and powerful than ever before – you can build relations, manipulate opinion, form coalitions and mighty alliances, trade territory, and broker power across the campaign map in your rise to the throne.

Check out the full video here:

And to make sure you’ve got your hands on ALL the information, check out this blog post too: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/diplomacy-in-total-war-three-kingdoms-part-2

Comments

• FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,391Registered Users
    Aww, you changed Yuan Shao's portrait? I preferred the older looking one :/

Or does that mean that your characters will age over time?
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,843Registered Users
    Finally, excited to watch/read.
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 685Registered Users
    Great video, I'm really excited for the revamped diplomacy. It looks like large coalitions and alliances will form throughout the campaign, this should lead to a challenging late game. If this turns out to be the case, the late game "steamroller" problem might finally be solved.
  • JowenJowen Junior Member Posts: 376Registered Users
    Great. Will look forward to playing with these features in Three Kingdoms.

And the obligatory:
    No, it these new diplomatic features should NOT be included in Warhammer 2/3. Keep up with the feature diversity.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 1,162Registered Users
    Love it. More of this please :)
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 2,492Registered Users
    edited November 2018
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Part 3 that goes into marriage proposals, trading ancillaries and trade agreements, confederation options, etc.

Really liking what I'm seeing so far though.
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 785Registered Users
    Its cool that they are improving on the diplomacy, but this looks more like a tidying up/tweaking of exsisting features rather than introduction of new features.
    Maybe this will result in alliances been more prominet than previous TW games, Alliances in other games are plagued by issues to the point of uselessness.

Allies declare war on allies without warning(happens without fail), dragging into unwanted wars and bypassing of alliances through the ‘invite to war function’. There’s also a lack of ally coordination button in the video, which imo has potential and should be improved.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Posts: 1,581Registered Users
    Looking forward to this game more and more.

Anyone else noticed that female general with generic clothing?

Also fairly sure i spotted Lady Wu in the diplomacy window.

• mahboi1mahboi1 Member Posts: 771Registered Users
    Aryndelin said:

Noticed that too
    Sigmar wills it!
  • SakotadejanSakotadejan Posts: 158Registered Users
    Aryndelin said:

Yeah, she took over the Sun family when Sun Jian died i guess. And Sun Ce is not 16 yet so she will rule untill he turns 16.
  • RocketlegionRocketlegion Member Posts: 621Registered Users
    Very interesting, though I wanna see how the AI is able to manage coalitions. Seems like an easy way for the player to make a large alliance and steamroll the map.
  • SakotadejanSakotadejan Posts: 158Registered Users
    edited November 2018

Spring 191

Spring 193

The map changed a lot in just 2 years 😅
  • sablesable Member Posts: 124Registered Users
    Aryndelin said:

Not just that, but we saw quite a few new designs for generic generals. I feel a lot better about the generic officer designs now. Kong Rong's art seemed a little unique. Like her had more work put into this design than the other generic officers. It makes me wonder if he's the other mystery warlord.
  • alstlalstl Member Posts: 314Registered Users
    Interesting - much deeper diplomacy than anything I've seen previously.

Could someone give me a brief description of the difference between a coalition and a military alliance?
    Trade Agreement capacity is limited by your character's prestige rank? Don't like that at all. Doesn't even make sense to be honest.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,385Registered Users

Trade Agreement capacity is limited by your character's prestige rank? Don't like that at all. Doesn't even make sense to be honest.

I think it's based upon the administrative ability of your faction. A lowly faction would find it difficult to make trade agreements. Also trade agreements may have a greater financial benefit in this game so it may balance the game. I would've been unamused if it was only 3 for the entire game but I like it that you have to build up your size and complexity to make numerous trade deals.
  • AxelradAxelrad Senior Member Posts: 632Registered Users
    edited November 2018
    I'm really excited that they've built coalitions into the game diplomacy.

I'm willing to see how it works, especially as an abstraction of administrative ability to manage all the bookkeeping and flow of goods. Earlier games in the series restricted your trade agreement capacity based on things like port capacity or shared land borders, so the idea of limited trade isn't crazy.

And just based on historical reading, China's money economy all but collapsed during this period, moving away from rapidly inflated coinage and to a more sturdy exchange of grain and silk that was better able to withstand the ravages of constant war. So it'd be interesting to see that breakdown in trade reflected in this system by making the trade agreements you can get all the more impactful.
    edited November 2018

I think it's based upon the administrative ability of your faction. A lowly faction would find it difficult to make trade agreements. Also trade agreements may have a greater financial benefit in this game so it may balance the game. I would've been unamused if it was only 3 for the entire game but I like it that you have to build up your size and complexity to make numerous trade deals.
    I dunno man, it seems to me like an arbitrary handicap for the player and an artificial means of increasing difficulty. Same with army capacity being linked to your prestige rank, and the "Great Power" diplomatic penalty, which looks like it'll be making a return.
    Axelrad said:

I'm willing to see how it works, especially as an abstraction of administrative ability to manage all the bookkeeping and flow of goods. Earlier games in the series restricted your trade agreement capacity based on things like port capacity or shared land borders, so the idea of limited trade isn't crazy.

It just seems daft to me; if you've got shared borders with 7 factions, and are able to trade with all of them, why should you only be able to trade with 3?
  • Hardric62Hardric62 Posts: 8Registered Users
    sable said:

Aryndelin said:

Not just that, but we saw quite a few new designs for generic generals. I feel a lot better about the generic officer designs now. Kong Rong's art seemed a little unique. Like her had more work put into this design than the other generic officers. It makes me wonder if he's the other mystery warlord.
    If you look at the banners, you'll notice the only people having a rectangular banners are Warlords already confirmed, or Gongsun Zan, Dong Zhuo, and Kong Rong, with the two first being pretty much certain of being playable warlords. Pretty sure it means this shape of banner is specific to playable characters, and this henceforth means that he is indeed the last mystery Warlord.

For Lady Wu, I guess it means we know who handle regency if Sun Jian dies...
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,589Registered Users
    edited November 2018
    There seems to be a bigger variety of looks for the generic characters than in the first part, nice. :)
    Hardric62 said:

sable said:

Aryndelin said:

If you look at the banners, you'll notice the only people having a rectangular banners are Warlords already confirmed, or Gongsun Zan, Dong Zhuo, and Kong Rong, with the two first being pretty much certain of being playable warlords. Pretty sure it means this shape of banner is specific to playable characters, and this henceforth means that he is indeed the last mystery Warlord.

I don't know how to feel about that. Kong Rong is.....okay. He's not that important. I was really hoping for someone like Zhang Lu, or Liu Yao who would have a very unique starting position in southern china.
    edited November 2018
    sable said:

Hardric62 said:

sable said:

Aryndelin said:

I don't know how to feel about that. Kong Rong is.....okay. He's not that important. I was really hoping for someone like Zhang Lu, or Liu Yao who would have a very unique starting position in southern china.
    Still possible, we have one free spot left. Could be either of those.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, forgot about Ma Teng. Yeah that's bizzare, like the whole Southern and Western part of the map is totally depopulated of playable characters.

Atleast this means we could probably expect some southern-focussed DLC's.
  • AxelradAxelrad Senior Member Posts: 632Registered Users
    edited November 2018
    Hardric62 said:

sable said:

Aryndelin said:

Watching the video again, this really seems to check out as being between major/minor faction banners. If that's the case, looks like Gongsun Zan, Dong Zhuo, Yuan Shao, Yuan Shu, and Kong Rong are all the remaining playable warlords.

Edit: Of course, Yuan Shao is confirmed as playable via the video itself, duh. I was kinda slow on the uptake of that, as I had just kind of assumed the two Yuans would be playable. But I believe this is the first time Yuan Shao has been explicitly shown as such.
    Post edited by Axelrad on
    Krunch said:

sable said:

Hardric62 said:

sable said:

Aryndelin said:

Still possible, we have one free spot left. Could be either of those.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, forgot about Ma Teng. Yeah that's bizzare, like the whole Southern and Western part of the map is totally depopulated of playable characters.

Atleast this means we could probably expect some southern-focussed DLC's.
    That's true. I was pretty confident the third was going to be Liu Zhang, but at this point who knows. I think he could be an interesting one though. He could be the only lord to start with poor guanxi with his officers. It'd make an interesting challenge just trying to keep you r generals loyal to you. But this is starting to stray off topic!
  • Hardric62Hardric62 Posts: 8Registered Users
    I guess they're trying to save up 'cards' for future DLCs they know people will pay up for... Zhang Lu is another breed of mystic compared to the Yellow Turbans if I remember my Three Kingdoms right, so they'll probably make use of this.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,589Registered Users
    sable said:

Hardric62 said:

sable said:

Aryndelin said:

Extra DLCs for characters and playable factions is the only way to get an additional unique designs.
  • WileycoyoteWileycoyote Junior Member Posts: 185Registered Users
    Noticed a few things here:

Han Sui appeared to be a separate faction from Ma Teng, maybe vassal of his, as it shows they are in a coalition or military alliance.

Unit sizes were bigger in this playthrough.

Why do they pick on Yuan Shu!

Interesting that both Yuans have access to coalitions right off the bat.

Trade restrictions is a way to limit steam rolling no doubt, among other stuff.

Noticed a few things here:

Han Sui appeared to be a separate faction from Ma Teng, maybe vassal of his, as it shows they are in a coalition or military alliance.

Unit sizes were bigger in this playthrough.

Why do they pick on Yuan Shu!

Interesting that both Yuans have access to coalitions right off the bat.

Trade restrictions is a way to limit steam rolling no doubt, among other stuff.

Unit sizes were bigger? What were the sizes?
    160 men? 60 cavalry

Spring 191

Spring 193

The map changed a lot in just 2 years 😅

I noticed the brown territories are not all his, rather it seems to be the coalition or alliance in those parts? Or maybe vassals. You can see he only owns half of it.

Eitherway, alot if action in 2 years. Dunno....