Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Why all intro videos have to show imperial armies being crushed?

PlaguicidaPlaguicida Senior MemberMálaga, SpainRegistered Users Posts: 581
ok, I understand the Warhammer universe is around the human Empire being threatened by a lot of foes, and so on but... I just haven't seen a single video in which the Empire gets anything more than death and defeats! The Vampire Coast trailer in Steam is just another example.

But... c'mon... even the Empire faction intro video starts... with a lot of imperial soldiers death :S! It's like the Empire is the sparring for the rest of factions!

I just wanted to say one thing... Those guys, that are able to charge against using only a steel breastplate and a spear... those guys are the REAL heroes of Warhammer! For Sigmar!

Comments

• ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 27,068
    Wow, a time traveller from 2016!

• Tankred56Tankred56 Registered Users Posts: 74
    Because it's hard to be a human in Warhammer.
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Registered Users Posts: 2,492
    Because Humans didn't invent Chuck Norris yet.
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • Boombastek91Boombastek91 Registered Users Posts: 787
    We need Kislev humans, to show all world whos da human can be.
    Or Ulric fanatics.
  • makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 2,295
    Why not? Humans are weak, they should suffer.
  • Grimgor_the_CAkeGrimgor_the_CAke Registered Users Posts: 1,746
    Hmmm... so you wish CA to show how new faction toys got beaten hard by something like steam tanks :o
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 21,797
    Because they're the protagonists.

This is storytelling 101, when you want to make a new evil character look strong you have them beat an established good character and vice versa.
    Thanks CA for working with Epic Games to give us Troy for free!
  • PlaguicidaPlaguicida Senior Member Málaga, SpainRegistered Users Posts: 581
    edited December 2018
    No... I would like new factions to crush in their intro videos a more diverse array of enemies. e.g. I would love to see chaos lords and nigromants being beaten by any newcomer, for a change :P

No... I would like new factions to crush in their intro videos a more diverse array of enemies. e.g. I would love to see chaos lords and nigromants being beaten by any newcomer, for a change :P

They actually had dark elves got beaten by Tomb Kings last time. not always Empire babies...
  • DracoknightDracoknight Registered Users Posts: 281
    Well High Elves got the beat stick in all of the WH2 trailers, even their own heh.
  • DarkLordOfDarknessDarkLordOfDarkness Registered Users Posts: 244
    I get a flashback from '' X - where is the love'' threads
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 21,797

They actually had dark elves got beaten by Tomb Kings last time.
    Tomb Kings beat Dark Elves because of their shared lore together, and the fact that TK are neutral.

It makes sense for evil races to kill the protagonists and the good races to kill the antagonists.
    Thanks CA for working with Epic Games to give us Troy for free!

Tomb Kings beat Dark Elves because of their shared lore together, and the fact that TK are neutral.

It makes sense for evil races to kill the protagonists and the good races to kill the antagonists.
    Thanks for telling... hmmm I really thought the changes was due to the complains of High Elves fans though. Haha
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 3,267

If you show the bad guys being pummeled, you diminish the threat they pose. In contrast, when you show the good guys get pummeled, they will seem more heroic whenever they succeed. It is a basic narrative tool, that is quite often used (it is also the reason why the bad guy usually wins the first encounter between him and the good guy).
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,083
    The troops of Karl Franz was giving the Greenskins a good fight, while the troops of Teclis was totally crashed by the Skaven. Anyway it's more fitting for Humans to act like a mayflies, than for the High Elves, so it's good that CA had choose the Empire over the High Elves for the Vampire Coast Trailer. Also the fact that the Empire have Gunpowder, similarly to the Undead Pirates was more fitting for the Trailer's Theme. Guns vs Guns seems to fit better for a single video than Guns vs Bows.

• ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 5,997
    Tayvar said:

The troops of Karl Franz was giving the Greenskins a good fight, while the troops of Teclis was totally crashed by the Skaven. Anyway it's more fitting for Humans to act like a mayflies, than for the High Elves, so it's good that CA had choose the Empire over the High Elves for the Vampire Coast Trailer. Also the fact that the Empire have Gunpowder, similarly to the Undead Pirates was more fitting for the Trailer's Theme. Guns vs Guns seems to fit better for a single video than Guns vs Bows.

It's also notable how naff in quality the High Elves trailer was.
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • GCRustGCRust Registered Users Posts: 604

Or Ulric fanatics.

I'm looking forward to the Kislev trailer, where we see Chosen being impaled on pikes and Humanity holding back the tide of madness and death.

Or Ulric fanatics.

That's what the Norscan are for, Kislev's Humans are not so different from Empire's Humans.

• PlaguicidaPlaguicida Senior Member Málaga, SpainRegistered Users Posts: 581
    LOL I didn't expect this thread to be so populated :D

The Skaven was killing both Lizardmen and Dark Elves in their Trailer so it's not really matters. :)

• tealadintealadin Registered Users Posts: 10
    Iz dont undr stand...umis is for krumpin, datz jus whot dez for.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member Registered Users Posts: 1,281
    Imperial infantry in Warhammer/40k are made for dying for the glory of the Emperor. It's their raison d'être.