Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

So will the cove fix work retroactively or will we have to start a new game?

MaledonMaledon Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 9
AS the title says, will if fix the cove CTD in current games or will we need to start over?

Comments

• Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 4,695
    Probably a new game.
  • twwatchertwwatcher Registered Users Posts: 2,532
    Well it’s a coding error probably a “null pointer” error following the deletion of the owner. CA, along with writing code that will ensure deletion of the owner does not leave any null pointers in future, should write defensive code that can handle the null pointer thus avoiding the crash in saves prior to the code update.
  • CA_JamesCA_James Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team Posts: 454
    The fix should apply retroactively, but I'd always recommend starting a new game just to be safe.
  • wunderb0rwunderb0r Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 694
    CA_James said:

The fix should apply retroactively, but I'd always recommend starting a new game just to be safe.

This action does have my consent!
  • NameAlreadyExistsNameAlreadyExists Registered Users Posts: 161
    As a side note:

I really hope the upcoming patch will include a fix for the tomb kings aswell.
    Was playing a campaign with Kathep and had a ton of fun, until I made the mistake, to claim the book of nagash, that should summon sandstorms.

Nice to hear, that the patch might work retroactively, so there's a chance, I can continue with my Kathep-campaign.
  • StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 2,748
    For a moment I thought the fix had been released. Any ETA yet?
  • IcestrugleIcestrugle Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,238
    In my experience all patches excluding new races, factions and regiments of renown, are retroactive. I've just finished a campaign after one year, and every bug appeared or fixed was in my campaign. Even the sword of Kain or the puzzles or the ship inland encounters are there. So no, I don't see why you need to restart
  • AENARlONAENARlON Registered Users Posts: 865

In my experience all patches excluding new races, factions and regiments of renown, are retroactive. I've just finished a campaign after one year, and every bug appeared or fixed was in my campaign. Even the sword of Kain or the puzzles or the ship inland encounters are there. So no, I don't see why you need to restart

New mechanics are sometimes not retroactive, or in a completely broken state. For instance an old dwarf save would have oath gold, but no way to spend it (forge tab missing). Not that I'm complaining, I wouldn't really expect such a thing to be retroactive.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,381
    edited December 2018
    Stephince said:

For a moment I thought the fix had been released. Any ETA yet?

It's in the beta that came out yesterday, but not likely to go to full release until the new year.
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png