Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Can I play total war on this?

Thalion1984Thalion1984 Posts: 14Registered Users
Hello all. I bought a new HP laptop, for practical rather than gaming reasons. As it is an I5 with 8GB I don't think it is going to be suitable for Total War or anything similar but I wanted to make sure. Its an HP laptop, I was told it does have very good graphical resolution. Could it be made to work or would it be constantly freezing? Aside from get a different computer, do you have any recommendations? Thanks, happy gaming and a Merry Christmas!

Comments

• Total War ftwTotal War ftw Member Posts: 1,188Registered Users

Hello all. I bought a new HP laptop, for practical rather than gaming reasons. As it is an I5 with 8GB I don't think it is going to be suitable for Total War or anything similar but I wanted to make sure. Its an HP laptop, I was told it does have very good graphical resolution. Could it be made to work or would it be constantly freezing? Aside from get a different computer, do you have any recommendations? Thanks, happy gaming and a Merry Christmas!

When you go to the game's page on steam, it tells you on the bottom what the spec requirements are. I advise you review that and compare it to what you got running to confirm if your rig can run it.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 12,752Registered Users

You're welcome.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Thalion1984Thalion1984 Posts: 14Registered Users
    I'm not much of a techie, and I don't have recent experience with PC gaming. I played tabletop with friends. The specs for my new laptop are

Radeon software version: 17.7
    Radeon software Edition: Crimson Relive
    Graphics Chipset: ADM Radeon (TM Vega 8 graphics
    Memory size: 1024 MB
    Memory Type: DDR4
    Core Clock: 201 MHz
    Windows versio: 10 (64 bit)
    System Memory: 8 GB
    CPU type: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx

It sounds like it might run on this laptop, but I'm not sure how well?

• psychoakpsychoak Posts: 1,885Registered Users
    Yes, it will run.

You wont be doing ultra though. My brother is running on on a Surface, with the Intel Iris 630, I believe. His performance is pretty minimal. Vega 8 is a bit faster.
    So if I'm playing multiplayer, it might freeze, or is it a graphics issue?
    I looked up a video of Warhammer 2 on Vega 8 and the resolution looked pretty good to me. What is the best way to acquire the game with all the updates and such? These may be obvious questions but Ive been a very long time out of PC gaming. Thanks for your patience
    Assuming you have an internet connection of substance, buy it from Steam.
    I do, and that was what I was thinking too. I know I need WH TW2 and Mortal Empires, if I get those do I need to get the first one too?
    For Mortal Empires, yes, you'd want to get both game 1 and 2.

Considering most stuff is pretty well discounted right now, I'd get everything that is. You can pick up the entirety of Warhammer 1 DLC for under $40 at present, with the main game 75% off, and game 2 is 50% off as well, with the first two DLC at a nice discount. Not a bad time to just buy up the entire collection at the release price cost of just the two main games.
    Okay so I'm definitely getting TW1 and 2, and the Wood elves and Norsca expansions+mortal empires (which is free). I'm not sure I'm that interested in Vampire coast or Tomb Kings, but I assume they have important stuff for other factions, and that it affects multi-player right? Do you need to have all of those to avail yourself of the various patches/upgrades?
    They don't, and you do not.

If you skip them, you'll have a fully up to date game, with the complete factions in game, just not playable.

As an aside, they're pretty awesome factions. The only two I've not really bothered to work with because of their crappiness, are Warriors of Chaos and Beastmen. Which is still primarily because I hate horde mechanics, and not because they actually suck.

If you don't get the lord packs, your game balance is gonna be pretty lopsided though. Instant recruit ROR for only some factions makes a pretty big difference in difficulty.
    edited December 2018
    Aren't most of the lord packs free? I'm definitely buying the Queen+Crone, as I'm primarily a high elf guy. I'm also interested in Wood Elves, Orcs+Goblins and I like the idea of ambushing beastmen and also of Norsca. I suppose Tomb Kings are a cool faction its just that I've never been into deserts on an aesthetic level, although the army itself looks fantastic.

As for the game balance, is that in regards to multiplayer battles, battle with AI or both? If I don't plan to command particular armies does it matter? Thanks for all the info
    Update: I purchased 1 and 2 along with Queen+Crone and Ream of the Wood Elves. I can always get more. Odd thing is, the DLC's don't show up in my steam library, is that because they dont need downloading? I installed 1 and 2 along just now
    DLC should be listed as items in the information that comes up when you select the games.

Under WH2, you should have quite a few listed, between FLC, game 1, and your extra purchases.
    It appears the DLC was automatically added, but the two games are yet to sync up correctly. I was testing out the controls on custom battle but only the races from TW2 were on there and vice versa.
    Go to the store page, look through the DLC, and check for free entries that aren't added.
    I downloaded mortal empires and Alith Anar, and I could add other things but I still can't match up armies from games 1 and 2 in custom mode. Also, the unit sizes are way smaller than I've seen in youtube battles (i.e. repeater bolt thrower battery is 1 instead of 3, there are 15-25 guys in major units). Any idea why this might be?
    Okay so the game synched up correctly but the unit sizes and HP are still very small. Not to worry though, I still need to fully grasp the controls
    That would be minimum unit sizes in the performance settings.

Ultra will probably murder you, but you can get a relatively stable performance at normal sizes.
    Ah ok. Didn't realize unit sizes were tied into performance settings
    Yeah, that setting is in there so you can make hobo computers not bleed to death over a 40vs40 battle.
  • BudgeBudge Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hey! I have the same gpu as yours, but my game seems to be running below 30fps even on the lowest graphics. How many fps are you getting? I'd appreciate some help.