Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

No siege variation is not fun over hundreds of sieges

SaphironSaphiron Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 827
Man I hoped for more. Been about a year since I got into warhammer total war, and I really hoped to see them add in some variation to the sieges.

A moat here, a bridge there, some random features that would make every siege a little more unique than one long wall or two smaller ones.

This game requires us to fight hundreds of sieges and yet there’s less variation than any total war game so far (maybe the original shogun had fewer? The original Rome had far more).

We need sieges that are more fun. Especially since they completely removed small settlement battles.

I don’t feel like warhammer II made any real leaps here. I hope warhammer III will improve all three titles.

Comments

• MarkerMarker Registered Users Posts: 1,193
    I have to say, almost every city has different garrisons and upgrades to their garrisons and also different layouts when it comes to walls and gates or the inner city and we are getting more variations in artillery. But there is definitely room for ideas and improvements. +1
  • LennoxPoodleLennoxPoodle Registered Users Posts: 474
    I totally agree with op. Even when you stick to historical fortifications (or even elements thereof) there's much more variety. What about earthworks in front of the walls, or moats? Bastions sticking out the walls allowing to shoot attackers into the flanks or bottlenecking them on the walls should they climb the bastion. Multiple layers of walls could be the easiest of all additions.
    When we then enter the possibilities of fantasy the design space grows even more. Why don't we give lizardmen several terraces instead of walls, or tunnel networks to the skaven? Don't let me even begin to talk about dwarves.
  • trueshot211trueshot211 Registered Users Posts: 122

I totally agree with op. Even when you stick to historical fortifications (or even elements thereof) there's much more variety. What about earthworks in front of the walls, or moats? Bastions sticking out the walls allowing to shoot attackers into the flanks or bottlenecking them on the walls should they climb the bastion. Multiple layers of walls could be the easiest of all additions.
    When we then enter the possibilities of fantasy the design space grows even more. Why don't we give lizardmen several terraces instead of walls, or tunnel networks to the skaven? Don't let me even begin to talk about dwarves.

Yes I agree with this. There is significant room for improvement here in future games. The series is based off of a fantasy universe so CA has creative leeway to include unusual and exotic environments, as well as unrealistically large cities. I believe the performance of the underlying engine may be a limitation for siege variety. Regardless of performance, it does seem like TW:WH regressed slightly with regard to certain features prevalent in past games such as naval battles and siege variety.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file