Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Should unit variants become different units?

TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Registered Users Posts: 2,868
Should most of those units, like spearmen and silverhelms without shileds, become different units with other looks and purposes?

Like making spearmen (without shields) pikemen ( with new attirbutes and stats) and giving them other aesthetic looks ( like more floppy hats and less armor) .

What do you say?

Comments

• thebiglezthebiglez Registered Users Posts: 645
    i would prefer the opposite - making them one unit, that you can upgrade.
  • kelembriborkelembribor Registered Users Posts: 674
    edited January 2019
    Most of unit variants are from lore of 8th armybook or earlier ,where units had option of equipping various weapons.

Considering there are some units and especially lords or heroes not present in almost every faction and that for example Vampire Bloodline Lords usually have just minimum edited variant mashes with exception of Lahmian lord I find it doubtful they would do anything like that , nor it is lorefull to invent units even though some may fit.

I love adding various aesthetic options though that is mostly up to modders, it is possible to have pikeman instead shield-less spear-men, or editing meshes , there was in Warhammer 1 great mod that edited basic units of every state of Empire so they had unique appearance.

Hochland and Talabec had sashes for Knights, Middenheim mostly beards and rugged look, Reikland had most armour in that version , Stirland looked ragtag etc

• CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 1,835
    I find it crazy that you actually have to recruit a unit of normal, fire or poison arrows. THis should just be an in battle swap like other TW games. Once you research the tech you should be able to multi task the one archer unit
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • Urza1234Urza1234 Registered Users Posts: 222
    Crajoh said:

I find it crazy that you actually have to recruit a unit of normal, fire or poison arrows. THis should just be an in battle swap like other TW games. Once you research the tech you should be able to multi task the one archer unit

I mean, ideally yeah. I would assume thats why the game assets are also set up to differentiate units, from their weapons, from their ammunition, and so forth.

It kind of boggles me that the game is set up correctly, but then is executed essentially.... wrong.
  • makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 1,952
    Yes they should. Right now its copy-pasted model which shows low effort. Thats not cool at all to see all troops in army have 3 faces.
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Registered Users Posts: 4,104
    I'm gonna throw my hat in the "upgrade" ring. The shieldless/armorless/whatever-less variants really bug me. They were pretty clearly put there to both pad out the rosters and for MP purposes, neither of which is warranted in my opinion.
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

• Boombastek91Boombastek91 Registered Users Posts: 787
    thebiglez said:

i would prefer the opposite - making them one unit, that you can upgrade.

It not work in MP.
    But yes it would be good.
    Never used spearman without shield, eternal guard no shield.
  • Boombastek91Boombastek91 Registered Users Posts: 787

Most of unit variants are from lore of 8th armybook or earlier ,where units had option of equipping various weapons.

Considering there are some units and especially lords or heroes not present in almost every faction and that for example Vampire Bloodline Lords usually have just minimum edited variant mashes with exception of Lahmian lord I find it doubtful they would do anything like that , nor it is lorefull to invent units even though some may fit.

I love adding various aesthetic options though that is mostly up to modders, it is possible to have pikeman instead shield-less spear-men, or editing meshes , there was in Warhammer 1 great mod that edited basic units of every state of Empire so they had unique appearance.

Hochland and Talabec had sashes for Knights, Middenheim mostly beards and rugged look, Reikland had most armour in that version , Stirland looked ragtag etc

Hm heavy armored with Halberds, and their armor look cool. Greatswords look poor.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,585
    edited January 2019
    If those in the lower right are meant to be Reikland STATE TROOPS... than sorry that sucks. reikland might afford its state troops more armour, but they wulnd't equip them with FULL PLATE ARMOUR. That looks more like the Imperial Foot. The Infantery branch of hte Reiksguard.

And the Greatswords look like the Landsknechts they are based on.
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN! TOTAL WAR TROY FOR ONE YEAR EXCLUSIVELY ON THE EPIC GAMES STORE!"

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Registered Users Posts: 5,666

If those in the lower right are meant to be Reikland STATE TROOPS... than sorry that sucks. reikland might afford its state troops more armour, but they wulnd't equip them with FULL PLATE ARMOUR. That looks more like the Imperial Foot. The Infantery branch of hte Reiksguard.

Those are Reiksguard.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,585
    Xenos7 said:

Those are Reiksguard.
    i thought so, but considering some of the mods around you can never be certain.
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN! TOTAL WAR TROY FOR ONE YEAR EXCLUSIVELY ON THE EPIC GAMES STORE!"

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • kelembribor21kelembribor21 Registered Users Posts: 210
    edited January 2019

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=771294292

This is mod from who are the images from it has 1049 positive ratings, and is one of my favorite Warhammer 1 mods.

That image is example of what OP asked , how it is possible to change appearance and weaponry of different types in this case:
    Nuln Pikemen, Talabec knights, Ostland Spearmen (something grays out faction colors since I didn't play long time) , and they are dismounted Reiksguard with helberds.

Reikland has more professional looking army in that mod, with more plate though not full plate on all state troops, their Greatswords even wear red capes which look great.

Sorry that you are feeling so angry that example of mod has caused you to start ranting about unrelated thing.
  • LennoxPoodleLennoxPoodle Registered Users Posts: 474
    No! We need to up/side/downgrade to other equipment variants instead of disbanding and rerecruiting though, allowing as to keep the units experience (at lest some of it).