Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Meet Sima Yi

CA_EllaCA_Ella Posts: 315Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team
edited January 10 in General Discussion

Blessed with great intelligence from a young age, Sima Yi is one of China’s greatest strategists. Loyal only to himself, he schemes and plots to outwit Zhuge Liang and pave the way for his own family to usurp the throne and establish a new dynasty.
Post edited by CA_Ella on

Comments

• Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 1,977Registered Users
    Aha! there he is
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Posts: 1,428Registered Users
    edited January 9
  • 39821739175248623982173917524862 Posts: 778Registered Users
    Is this going to be a total war game with battles or a poster and wallpaper collection game?
  • SakotadejanSakotadejan Posts: 158Registered Users
    So 40 unique looking characters. 14 playable factions. And more thanhalf of the unique characters are under Cao Cao, Sun Jian and Liu Bei.
  • tfwoods3tfwoods3 Posts: 844Registered Users
    :0 Hell yeah!
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,827Registered Users

So 40 unique looking characters. 14 playable factions. And more thanhalf of the unique characters are under Cao Cao, Sun Jian and Liu Bei.

It was always going to be like that. Generally it's usually the people that survive who have notable people working for them.
  • ThedossbossThedossboss Posts: 139Registered Users

Is this going to be a total war game with battles or a poster and wallpaper collection game?

In a way, yes. You are going to want to collect these guys for their unique benefits, and so these posters serve as knowledge given now that we will take in-game to determine who to bring over and when

Gotta catch 'em all!
    Krunch said:

It was always going to be like that. Generally it's usually the people that survive who have notable people working for them.
    Yeah, but i am wondering are 3 of them goong to start with all of these character under them?
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 1,648Registered Users
    The man who won the War of the Three Kingdoms.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    edited January 9
    Krunch said:

well, 3 more characters for cao cao. I'd love to see one of them being for Sun Jian (wu had plenty of famous talents too).

Maybe they suprise us and reveal more than initally thought.

Bit hard for Shu though, but Wei Yan maybe or Ma Dai which would also flesh out Liu Biao and Ma Teng.

Despite the "oh so much for cao cao" thought, Sima Yi was pretty much a must.
  • TurbsterTurbster Posts: 49Registered Users
    edited January 9

Because he lived longer. What a feat. Lost more battle to Zhuge Liang than he won. Almost got killed by him. In the end all he could do was defend and try outlast Zhuge Liang's supplies.

Edit: Don't get me wrong he's the best Wei had to offer. The smartest thing he could do if not able to beat Shu in battle was to defend. Let's not make out he was the best in all of the three kingdoms throughout the 100 years.
    edited January 9
    Turbster said:

Because he lived longer. What a feat. Lost more battle to Zhuge Liang than he won. Almost got killed by him. In the end all he could do was defend and try outlast Zhuge Liang's supplies.

Edit: Don't get me wrong he's the best Wei had to offer. The smartest thing he could do if not able to beat Shu in battle was to defend. Let's not make out he was the best in all of the three kingdoms throughout the 100 years.
    I did not say he was the best. But he and his family ended the Three Kingdoms era, eventually took over the Cao Wei empire and re-unified China. If there ever was a single winner of the Three Kingdoms era, it was Sima Yi.

What are you basing this on? Many of those characters started out under other warlords but eventually joined the three big ones. I expect it will be the same here. Some like Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang will probably not even be present at the beginning of the campaign.

Turbster said:

I did not say he was the best. But he and his family ended the Three Kingdoms era, eventually took over the Cao Wei empire and re-unified China. If there ever was a single winner of the Three Kingdoms era, it was Sima Yi.

What are you basing this on? Many of those characters started out under other warlords but eventually joined the three big ones. I expect it will be the same here. Some like Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang will probably not even be present at the beginning of the campaign.
    That is what i wanted to know. Are they going to start under Cao Cao or am i able to recruit Sima Yi as lets say Gongsun Zan.
  • JerroserJerroser Posts: 219Registered Users
    edited January 9

Yeah, but i am wondering are 3 of them goong to start with all of these character under them?

I doubt that will completely be the case. They will probably start with the ones that genuinely did start off their military careers with that particular warlord but maybe there will be some kind of mechanic for characters to switch sides or become available for others to recruit of their faction is destroyed (providing they survive).

So for instance a lot of the iconic Shu characters all start off under different factions and will need to be gathered up. While I think Sima Yi will likely become available to recruit at the mid game point so that who ever dominates of the north east will likely get hold of him.

Turbster said:

That is what i wanted to know. Are they going to start under Cao Cao or am i able to recruit Sima Yi as lets say Gongsun Zan.
    That is indeed a question worth asking. I can only hope devs at CA had the foresight to consider what happens to juvenile or unavailable characters if their historical faction is wiped out. It will be a great bummer if I can not recruit Zhuge Liang because I killed Liu Bei and destroyed Shu before his entry into the scene.

Perhaps they should be first tied to families, and then to settlements. E.g. even if Shu is eliminated, if your warlord has managed to recruit Guan Yu, his son Guan Ping should start out in your faction. Similarly if Wei is eliminated early, the player controlling Henan (or equivalent) province should get Sima Yi.

Or may be they can become free agents like in Koei ROTK. They will be wandering from city to city, and each faction can send emissaries to impress and recruit them.
  • AoishiroAoishiro Posts: 71Registered Users

Right now, Shu has 4, Wu 6 and Wei 8.

Would be great if they start revealing characters for the others 2 kingdoms.
  • MetalWarLordMetalWarLord Posts: 12Registered Users
    TOTAL WAR: POSTERS!!! I think it's a book not an actual game
  • takilung31takilung31 Posts: 1,318Registered Users
    edited January 9
    Very good! I was doubting that he wont make a apperance, but that means we have to wait 20-30 years before he shows up?

What about different scnarios so we dont start from Dong Zhou;s time?

all other 3K games have this please take a look, make them DLC if u want

different timelines and starting positions etc are definitely needed for and would make this become the best 3K strategy game

• AxelradAxelrad Senior Member Posts: 632Registered Users

Krunch said:

No, a lot of the famous characters from the 3 major factions are actually starting the game under different leaders, so you'll have to go out and recruit them, or possibly acquire them through dilemmas.

Very good! I was doubting that he wont make a apperance, but that means we have to wait 20-30 years before he shows up?

What about different scnarios so we dont start from Dong Zhou;s time?

all other 3K games have this please take a look, make them DLC if u want

different timelines and starting positions etc are definitely needed for and would make this become the best 3K strategy game

I disagree, I don't think that just because a lot of other games do it, that it's somehow necessary to cover the time period. I much prefer a single, more-developed start.
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 780Registered Users
    Can’t wait to conquer Liaodong and unsurp the ruling family with him!
    If either of these things are in the game that is.
  • acroguePatrickacroguePatrick Posts: 332Registered Users
    The man that single-handedly destroyed all of his former master's work and benefited from this period.
  • bisue89bisue89 Posts: 4Registered Users
    yan liang and wen chou? Where are they
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,584Registered Users
    Whos next?
    Yuan Shao's best generals? Wen Chou and Yan Liang?

Also Wu's talents are must.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 10
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 9,797Registered Users
    Zhang Liao, I would hope
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?
  • ThedossbossThedossboss Posts: 139Registered Users
    edited January 10
    What CA should do is release at least 5 free known characters (from minor to major, starting out in their respective factions of the 11 or later down the line as they are added) with each content drop. I would say release a new known character every fortnight but that would break mods too often and people would end up complaining. It would be awesome to have something like 60 or 70 unique characters for the base game (not including DLC) by the time the support cycle is complete
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,827Registered Users
    Also you guys have to remember, even if they don't have a unique model according to CA there are still hundreds of characters with pre set personalities. Most of these characters will be in one way or the other, they just won't be as unique as some others.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 35,980Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Posts removed. Can we keep the personal sniping off the forums please.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,173Registered Users
    Wait, I'm confused. Where does he start, and with who? Wasn't Sima Yi one of the prime candidate for a DLC? Is he even playable?
  • lilpopelilpope Posts: 61Registered Users
    I can see Sima Yi making Cao Cao's campaign tricky, in the late game when Cao Cao dies, Sima yi leading an uprising against you splitting your faction and stealing some of your generals will be the biggest pain