Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Recommend GPU upgrade.

ekpreinhards@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 2Registered Users
Hey, I am trying to choose between a RX 580 with 4gb or 8gb to run three kingdoms at a frame rate above 60.

I currently have 8GB ram and an FX 8350.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• ekpreinhards@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 2Registered Users
    Hey, I am trying to choose between a RX 580 with 4gb or 8gb to run three kingdoms at a frame rate above 60.

I currently have 8GB ram and an FX 8350.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.
  • aceprojectxaceprojectx Posts: 5Registered Users
    FX-8350 started bottlenecking GPUs a gen ago, I use RX 480 8gb and it does fine for me but on the other hand Total War likes to use the CPU.

This weekend I am replacing:
    FX-8350 w/wraith cooler
    16gb DDR3 @ dual channel 1833mhz
    ASUS Sabertooth Motherboard

With:
    Ryzen 2700x
    16gb TridentZ DDR4 at 3200mhz 14CL
    ASUS ROG Strix x470-F Gaming

The other parts I use right now are the Sound Blaster Zr, Trion SSDs from budget days, and Corsair 800w

I normally always put the most money in the CPU and Motherboard; and I heard Ryzen is sensitive to ram so I opted for the $230 kit.

I will try to remember to update if It improves quite a bit; but I honestly think the GPU is the wrong thing to worry about right now; unless you on a older and shittier GPU
  • psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,340Registered Users
    With 8gb of ram, a low ram card is definitely not the best idea.
  • doinwork34doinwork34 Technical Moderator Colorado, USPosts: 2,893Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators
    Thats a tough spot your in because upgrading your video card wont help since your using the 8350. I would definately spend the money on upgrading your CPU first.

If you are using an older video card as well, you may be forced to do a whole system upgrade. Unfortunately the means buying new CPU, Motherboard, RAM and video card. Since ddr4 is the new standard.

The good news is, depending on your video card even if you can only upgrade the CPU for now, it will still help your fps and your 1% low count which means your frame rate should be a bit higher and smoother(which can be mistaken for low fps even when the avg fps is high.)

Good to go for Rome II! CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.0ghz GPU: GTX 760 4gb @1215MHz-RAM: 8GB1600 Ballistix TracerPSU: Corsair HX750w