Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ideas for Araby (Grand Bazaar, merchant hero, holy treasures, etc.)

NeoYasNeoYas Posts: 603Registered Users
edited February 3 in Feedback & Suggestions
Hello.

Araby is able to establish merchant posts on foreign settlements by a merchant hero obtained by rite, this post can be upgraded and gives you income and certain bonuses
The difference between trade agreement and merchant post is that the first is export and import while the second is a permanent business post (Mc Araby TM.). It can only be established on friendly or neutral territory, if the faction that have your post declare war on you or viceversa the post get destroyed automatically, this will give a strategic dimension to this mechanic, you will have to think well where to establish your posts.

Araby has the Grand Bazaar from where you can buy special items, certain items can only be unlocked if you establish a merchant post in certain regions, if one of those regions is occupied by you the bazaar/suk (or certain trade building) substitutes the merchant post. This way It wouldn’t be just amass money and buy, and It would be an incentive to expand economicly (merchant posts) or militarly, this will allow to choose among two different playstyles as well, or to go for different victory conditions.

Djinns don’t have upkeep, the number of them that you can deploy is determined by djinn jars, these jars can be obtained by certain type of building, example djinn santuary, technology can expand the capacity (maybe some special item too). Then another building related to wizards allow the recruitement.
TKs already have this but what justify it is the fact that djinns are summoned only when needed afterwards they vanish returning to their respective jars. The rest of the army has upkeep.
Race distinct feature :

Devotion ; Araby soldier are very loyal to their sultans and very devoted to their religion which makes them fight with high moral and superior discipline. This gives them moral and melee defence bonuses on battlefield when they are at full strength.

Campaign objectif ; Holy treasures of Araby

After the cruzades and troughout the occupation of Araby by foreign nations, many treasures were stolen and others lost, among them holy artifacts and objects very valuable for the devout people of Araby and specially the religious authorities, some of them herited from the same prophet. So now the leaders of Araby are determined to bring them back, at any cost. But The Golden Magus would look for them for his personal benefit and sinister plans.
Now after many years these holy objects are scattered around the world, some in the hand of certain LLs (or Couronne and Altdorf on MEs), some of them are on certain settlements and some of them with certain armies.
These holy objects have special bonuses.

Edit:

Holy relics not holy treasures.

Post edited by NeoYas on
Tagged:

Comments

• NeoYasNeoYas Posts: 603Registered Users
    edited January 29
    Another idea came to my mind when I read this:

"Around the year 1500 IC, Sultan Daryus-e Qabir launched a series of religious wars against the Old World, without any lasting successes. Legends dating from this time have coloured Old World attitudes to inhabitants of Araby, although there is a fair amount of trade between the two areas. [Warhammer RPG 1st Edition: Core Rulebook, pg. 261]"

The idea is a type of jihad like the one on Medieval II, but through rite, giving movement and recruitement capacity bonuses, and some other bonus.

• LennoxPoodleLennoxPoodle Posts: 354Registered Users
    Your reclaiming treasure thing sounds awfully fitting for the tomb kings. It could even be implemented like the books, but only be about bonuses instead of victory conditions.

I really like your trade post idea, sort of a friendly form of pirate cove. Game 3 should really handle sub settlements as an integral part of the game and UI instead of something tucked on. I think the trade post thing would be more fitting for elves and southern realms though.

Overall I like your ideas, but less for Araby and more for others;-) The spirit jars are cool and fitting though.

Maybe something about the dynamics between desert tribes and cities could be added? It could be two completely different building rosters for inland and port cities for example.
    edited January 30
    You are right, It's more fitting for TKs but as they already have the books of nagash objective It can work for Araby. Of course I'm not saying It's the best option or idea, just It's what I managed to come with for the moment, since Araby's lore is very limited It's difficult to come with something coherent and convincing, but I think the idea is at least acceptable.

No doubt High Elves are a trade superpower, but Araby is also a trade nation and they managed to monopolise some routes:

"Not much is known about the society of the people of Araby, but from the few merchants and explorers who made their way into the kingdoms and Empire of the Old World it can be assumed that commerce and trade are an extremely important part of their society. The Arabyans were able to establish and monopolise the trade routes into the lucrative jade and spice lands of the Far East such as Cathay and Ind, as well as trading with the barbaric Norse tribes establishing the largest slave market in the city of Copher, all this thanks to their unsurpassed mastery in their navigation of the seas. The economic growth of Araby has led their peoples to the pursue of the fine arts in poetry, alchemy, medicine and architecture thus producing some of the world's most notable poets, doctors, sorcerers and architects.[Warmaster: Armies (2006), pg: 48]"

Of course after so many wars and the cruzades Araby ceased to be a trade superpower, but with trade related mechanics they will have the chance to restore their glory. Besides other factions already have their distinctive mechanics something should be left for Araby.
    Post edited by NeoYas on

@NeoYas You're probably right, especially about the retrieving treasure mechanic. The thing is that reserving the trade stuff for the very mercantile Southern Realms might be a good call. But on the other hand there could just be different trade mechanics for both.

Maybe the idea of the Djinn jars can be expanded a bit more. I guess it could be a full blown secondary currency, to be used in rites and for certain units. Additionally being usable to bolster the WoM reserve pre battle would make it truly awesome.
    Another thematic way to produce them, in addition to the ones proposed by you, might be a binding stance for sorcerers, replacing the channeling one.

I also thought about the difference between tribes and city dwellers and how that could be represented on the campaign map. My solution is giving the race two distinct building rosters (similar to medieval 2), one for port settlements (cities) and one for inland stuff (tribal meeting points/trade posts). They could even be given differing climate preferences. Splitting it along the shoreline criteria allows both types to coexist in a single province, for more diverse recruitment.
    Southern Realms can have mercenary and exploration mechanics as well, that would differenciate it from Araby among other things, while Its trade strengh can be represented in different ways as you pointed. Tilea have special characters called merchant princes, in fact Borgio the Besieger is one of them, so from this I came up with the idea of having merchant princes lords, who can have a trade post stance from which they generate income on foreign territory, while mercenary lords/captains would have the mercenary camp stance which can be upgraded, they would be like a semi-horde (Vampire Coast type). They also could have the contract mechanic from where other factions pays you for taking a settlement for them or for destroying a lord, or even the whole factions.

I'm not sure about djinn jars as acurrency, every jar contains a jinns, they aren't a simple object like gold, but boosts for winds of magic is a good idea.

I way to represent tribes is by having nomad lords (nomad sheikhs), with the khaimah stance, Khaimah means tent in arabic, from which you can recruit nomad units, while inner settlements can have special buildings related to nomads or some landmarks building. Coastal cities could recruit Arabyan corsair from ports but on the second or third level. As nomads are always moving from place to place and don't have a city I think the khaimah stance is the best way to represent that, in fact Araby already have a nomad heroe/lord, namely Fatandira.

NeoYas said:

Southern Realms can have mercenary and exploration mechanics as well, that would differenciate it from Araby among other things, while Its trade strengh can be represented in different ways as you pointed. Tilea have special characters called merchant princes, in fact Borgio the Besieger is one of them, so from this I came up with the idea of having merchant princes lords, who can have a trade post stance from which they generate income on foreign territory, while mercenary lords/captains would have the mercenary camp stance which can be upgraded, they would be like a semi-horde (Vampire Coast type). They also could have the contract mechanic from where other factions pays you for taking a settlement for them or for destroying a lord, or even the whole factions.

I'm not sure about djinn jars as acurrency, every jar contains a jinns, they aren't a simple object like gold, but boosts for winds of magic is a good idea.

I way to represent tribes is by having nomad lords (nomad sheikhs), with the khaimah stance, Khaimah means tent in arabic, from which you can recruit nomad units, while inner settlements can have special buildings related to nomads or some landmarks building. Coastal cities could recruit Arabyan corsair from ports but on the second or third level. As nomads are always moving from place to place and don't have a city I think the khaimah stance is the best way to represent that, in fact Araby already have a nomad heroe/lord, namely Fatandira.

The idea behind the jars as currency for rites is, that arabian sorcerers would unleash jinns to do their bidding and manifest the desired effects. The reason for also having to be used in desert spirit recruitment seems obvious.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file