Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Three Kingdoms & Warhammer 2 - a Tale of Friendship

2»

Comments

• Mohawk_RoshiMohawk_Roshi Registered Users Posts: 1,763

3 kingdoms will be a disaster, no thanks.

Give us more Warhammer 2 content!

It actually looks like a pretty good game. Personally as a TW fan and Warhammer fan, while TWW is my favorite TW 3K looks amazing and honestly I wish at least the Empire had the same kind of diplomatic depth we are currently seeing from 3K. Hopefully some of those improvements bleed over into TWW3. Especially sieges.
    A WIZARD SHOULD KNOW BETTER!
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Registered Users Posts: 5,770

It actually looks like a pretty good game. Personally as a TW fan and Warhammer fan, while TWW is my favorite TW 3K looks amazing and honestly I wish at least the Empire had the same kind of diplomatic depth we are currently seeing from 3K. Hopefully some of those improvements bleed over into TWW3. Especially sieges.
    On the campaign side, maybe, but for battles you may want to take a look at this:
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 9,048
    edited February 2019
    I think 3K looks average at best. Following a game like warhammer that is bad.

And this controlled content for the press. Meant to hype and impress. Often the game is worse than the hyped version showed.

And the hyped version looks weak imo.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
    Xenos7 said:

On the campaign side, maybe, but for battles you may want to take a look at this:
    Ive watched it and honestly the balance will need work like every total war. The AI will like always be improved but never enough to please people that want the AI to play like a person and I actually have seen the AI decline duels on some of the videos and his comment that you can game the AI into suicide by making the characters run through your own troops is like people asking for an ironman mode. If you feel the need to game the AI that's your problem not the games devs.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 20,044
    I think I'm not interested in how good it is.

I'm interested in Warhammer, how good or bad 3K is doesn't affect or interest me. I have a general well wishing for it that I have for everything that's positive, but outside that I see no reason to be invested in it.
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!

I'm interested in Warhammer, how good or bad 3K is doesn't affect or interest me. I have a general well wishing for it that I have for everything that's positive, but outside that I see no reason to be invested in it.

To each their own but I hope its successful so that more money can be funneled into Warhammer 3. Plus Im a TW fan even over being a Warhammer Fan. Ill play 95% of TW games but Warhammer Games are hit and miss for me.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 20,044

To each their own but I hope its successful so that more money can be funneled into Warhammer 3. Plus Im a TW fan even over being a Warhammer Fan. Ill play 95% of TW games but Warhammer Games are hit and miss for me.
    To each their own.

3K's success or failure may increase / decrease funds for TWW, we'd need to be inside CA to know. Just on general moral principle I hope it does well. Whether it's good or not doesn't affect me much, I may buy it before I go to China but that's not for a while yet.
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!
  • chrissher7chrissher7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,038
    Enforest said:

Is 3K really that bad? I've seen a lot videos by youtubers who say it's got serious problems, but I didn't bother to watch them because I'm not getting it anyway.

It appears to be the opposite of warhammer in that it has a detailed campaign however battles do not look very good on flip side.

• TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,058

Enforest said:

Is 3K really that bad? I've seen a lot videos by youtubers who say it's got serious problems, but I didn't bother to watch them because I'm not getting it anyway.

It appears to be the opposite of Warhammer in that it has a detailed campaign however battles do not look very good on flip side.
    Well in both of those Total War games there is a fairly big focus on characters, and in Total War: Three Kingdoms when characters change their armour and weapons it would actually be shown on their models. Also in both Total War: Three Kingdoms and Total War: Warhammer Trilogy there is no duels between regular troops, and I see it as a positive thing, because duels between regular troops was ruining formations.

• Lord of CinderLord of Cinder Registered Users Posts: 362
    Good or bad, I predict 3k will be another Rome 2 - rushed, badly optimized, full of bugs. Maybe it will get good after they update it properly in a year or so, but I'm not buying this game, period. I'm sure 3k will pay for itself, but will it be a great TW? I doubt it.

Introduce 3k diplomacy into Warhammer 2, update the old races to be on par, add the missing LLs and there will be no criticism from me.
  • DebaucheeDebauchee Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,406

To each their own.

3K's success or failure may increase / decrease funds for TWW, we'd need to be inside CA to know. Just on general moral principle I hope it does well. Whether it's good or not doesn't affect me much, I may buy it before I go to China but that's not for a while yet.
    I agree: there are talented people in CA and I don't want their names to be associated with flops. It's not their fault that corporate people expect CA to dish out a blockbuster every year with minimum investment, as if it was FIFA or something.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 25,117

Good or bad, I predict 3k will be another Rome 2 - rushed, badly optimized, full of bugs. Maybe it will get good after they update it properly in a year or so, but I'm not buying this game, period. I'm sure 3k will pay for itself, but will it be a great TW? I doubt it.

Introduce 3k diplomacy into Warhammer 2, update the old races to be on par, add the missing LLs and there will be no criticism from me.

Your prediction already failed.

• AvadonAvadon Registered Users Posts: 1,543
    edited February 2019
    Xenos7 said:

Hmmm wonder if that duel mechanic was stolen from "Mark of Chaos"...

• RazmirthRazmirth Registered Users Posts: 2,233
    edited February 2019
    I don’t know why people are still so bitter about all of this 3k stuff. Especially saying stuff like “it’s all about money”.

Well...yeah. What did you think it was about? The good folks at CA spend thousands of man hours a year to create a product for free for an Ungrateful crowd of fickle fans? Who’s loyalty waivers if they don’t get monthly updates going into be smallest details of development?

While I appreciate those updates, if they say they are working on things, then I guess that means they are, no need to worry bout it.

And I’d like to remind people that hate on 3k that while you all want MOAR TWW, CA was founded off historical titles. TWW wouldn’t even be here if it wasn’t for the historical side. Is TWW the best total war game seiries? In terms of diversity, i think so, personally. But many historical titles are fantastic in their own ways, with their own mechanics and style. Shogun 2 is generally considered one of the best by many, and the unit diversity In game was terrible. But I own it, and it is indeed a fun game.

3k will have it’s good and bad points. But there’s no reason to hate on CA for doing what investors and fan base want. Tww has had almost 3 full years of being in the spotlight, with only TOB as a small release.

As a side note, after playing it, I don’t see why people hated it so much. I think people were just being whiny/entitled about TOB. It isn’t as diverse as other titles, but it performs similarly to shogun 2 in some respects. And that’s ok. Sometimes I don’t want my turns to be completely taken over spending 10 minutes deciding which buildings to place in 25 provinces, or spending another 10 minutes chasing down enemy agents with my own.

Anyway, back on track. I think it’s fine that CA is working on other things. Most companies out there have multiple titles...can’t expext them to only support one crowd while losing out on potential customers from other crowds.
    Post edited by Razmirth on
    Razmirth said:

Who’s loyalty waivers if they don’t get monthly updates going into be smallest details of development?

No, they get scorn because first they push content nobody wanted and leave core content unfinished. Said content then turns out to be horribly imbalanced and CA then spends the one in-between patch mostly on toning said faction down, if only partially. Core races like Skaven and Lizardmen, who have been in a pretty bad state for months, are neglected in said patch and left in the trash bin for yet another half year long content drought.

They have nobody to blame but themselves.

Razmirth said:

Who’s loyalty waivers if they don’t get monthly updates going into be smallest details of development?

No, they get scorn because first they push content nobody wanted and leave core content unfinished. Said content then turns out to be horribly imbalanced and CA then spends the one in-between patch mostly on toning said faction down, if only partially. Core races like Skaven and Lizardmen, who have been in a pretty bad state for months, are neglected in said patch and left in the trash bin for yet another half year long content drought.

While that is true, It’s been that way for ages, and most other developers have similar problems. Also remember that the sheer amount of scope and content for TWW is largest done yet, so finding
    Time to balance factions and produce new games and DLC is probably a difficult thing to prioritize. Especially when their investors are the ones who determine that to a large degree.

And especially since people are already crying to have TWW3 released within a year without having 2 or 1 balanced yet, or even have All DLC delivered yet. Personally I want to see the same thing u do, but I won’t begrudge them success in other areas of business.

Which creates its own issues since I already see the same issues that precluded tww2. Which is people making speculative threads about future content and then having everyone having a set expectation of what the next dlc/game MUST logically be. Only to have it be something else and have them be angry and disappointed.

But I feel what I said still stands true, since there are many people who gnash their teeth every time a developer update doesn’t say/specify what they want to hear. Can’t please everyone I guess.

• Lord of CinderLord of Cinder Registered Users Posts: 362
    edited February 2019

Your prediction already failed.
    Explain why. Edgy one-liners aren't exactly informative. From what I've seen on You Tube, the battle AI sucks, duels are broken, combat animations are all over the place and the game is full of bugs many of which have been seen in previous TW games.

• KronusXKronusX Registered Users Posts: 1,378
    Razmirth said:

I don’t know why people are still so bitter about all of this 3k stuff. Especially saying stuff like “it’s all about money”.

Well...yeah. What did you think it was about? The good folks at CA spend thousands of man hours a year to create a product for free for an Ungrateful crowd of fickle fans? Who’s loyalty waivers if they don’t get monthly updates going into be smallest details of development?

While I appreciate those updates, if they say they are working on things, then I guess that means they are, no need to worry bout it.

And I’d like to remind people that hate on 3k that while you all want MOAR TWW, CA was founded off historical titles. TWW wouldn’t even be here if it wasn’t for the historical side. Is TWW the best total war game seiries? In terms of diversity, i think so, personally. But many historical titles are fantastic in their own ways, with their own mechanics and style. Shogun 2 is generally considered one of the best by many, and the unit diversity In game was terrible. But I own it, and it is indeed a fun game.

3k will have it’s good and bad points. But there’s no reason to hate on CA for doing what investors and fan base want. Tww has had almost 3 full years of being in the spotlight, with only TOB as a small release.

As a side note, after playing it, I don’t see why people hated it so much. I think people were just being whiny/entitled about TOB. It isn’t as diverse as other titles, but it performs similarly to shogun 2 in some respects. And that’s ok. Sometimes I don’t want my turns to be completely taken over spending 10 minutes deciding which buildings to place in 25 provinces, or spending another 10 minutes chasing down enemy agents with my own.

Anyway, back on track. I think it’s fine that CA is working on other things. Most companies out there have multiple titles...can’t expext them to only support one crowd while losing out on potential customers from other crowds.

3K is as un-historical as you can get. Not sure which part of it is ''historical'' considering their ''historical mode'' is wishy-washy.
    KronusX said:

Razmirth said:

3K is as un-historical as you can get. Not sure which part of it is ''historical'' considering their ''historical mode'' is wishy-washy.
    Since I haven’t looked into it I can’t comment. But if we wanna go down that road, pretty much every video game is fantasy and not truly historical.

With any luck the historical/realistic mode will be more what people are hoping for. I know if I decide to buy 3k I will certainly prefer the realistic mode, rather than dynasty warriors mode with heroes and generals doing jumping spin kicks and halbred swinging through legions of soldiers while taking no damage at all.

I mean in tww you expect that since it’s high fantasy setting. And that’s fine to offer two game modes when 3k launches. Sill doesn’t change the fact that it’s considered a historical release.
  • KronusXKronusX Registered Users Posts: 1,378
    Razmirth said:

KronusX said:

Razmirth said:

Since I haven’t looked into it I can’t comment. But if we wanna go down that road, pretty much every video game is fantasy and not truly historical.

With any luck the historical/realistic mode will be more what people are hoping for. I know if I decide to buy 3k I will certainly prefer the realistic mode, rather than dynasty warriors mode with heroes and generals doing jumping spin kicks and halbred swinging through legions of soldiers while taking no damage at all.

I mean in tww you expect that since it’s high fantasy setting. And that’s fine to offer two game modes when 3k launches. Sill doesn’t change the fact that it’s considered a historical release.
    It's as historical as a Troy total war featuring Achilles, Hector, Ajax and the rest of the heroes. Did the battle of Troy truly happened? Yes, in Turkey actually. Did it had heroes such as Achilles, Hector, Ajax and others? Most likely not.

The fact is, they are trying to hook WH2 players with the dynasty warrior mode (tough sell there considering we would rather have a Cathay in WH than buy another game for the Asian side) and historical players with the historical mode (might work since they are content starved to a certain degree).
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Registered Users Posts: 5,770
    Razmirth said:

While videogames are mostly a for-profit industry, there are degrees in it, ranging from Dwarf Fortress-like approach "We'll make an extensive, deep and unique game and gift it to you people" to EA-like "We'll monetize virtual nail polish for the Sims by selling a pack with different colors on our online store". Most companies fall between this two extremes, so no, it isn't "all about money". For many devs there is also passion. I, for one, see very little passion is CA nowadays. It's all about cutting costs.
    Razmirth said:

Razmirth said:

While that is true, It’s been that way for ages, and most other developers have similar problems. Also remember that the sheer amount of scope and content for TWW is largest done yet, so finding
    Time to balance factions and produce new games and DLC is probably a difficult thing to prioritize. Especially when their investors are the ones who determine that to a large degree.

And especially since people are already crying to have TWW3 released within a year without having 2 or 1 balanced yet, or even have All DLC delivered yet. Personally I want to see the same thing u do, but I won’t begrudge them success in other areas of business.

Which creates its own issues since I already see the same issues that precluded tww2. Which is people making speculative threads about future content and then having everyone having a set expectation of what the next dlc/game MUST logically be. Only to have it be something else and have them be angry and disappointed.

But I feel what I said still stands true, since there are many people who gnash their teeth every time a developer update doesn’t say/specify what they want to hear. Can’t please everyone I guess.

Skaven and Lizardmen fans have been waiting for about a year to get their factions fixed and instead we get Vampire pirates nobody asked for. Vampire Pirates who have been pretty shamelessly power-creeped with a vengeance. Please don't make it look like entitlement when there's a pretty glaring content and balancing gap that CA created for no good reason.

edited February 2019

Razmirth said:

Razmirth said:

Skaven and Lizardmen fans have been waiting for about a year to get their factions fixed and instead we get Vampire pirates nobody asked for. Vampire Pirates who have been pretty shamelessly power-creeped with a vengeance. Please don't make it look like entitlement when there's a pretty glaring content and balancing gap that CA created for no good reason.
    I don’t think it’s entirely entitlement. I think a part of it is.

But I’ll reiterate again that I don’t disagree with you. I think you’re 100 percent right with CA pushing content that could wait while they should be fixing and updating existing factions. Skaven and lizards are overdue. Which makes greenskins waaaaaaaay overdue. They should have been the first faction fixed when norsca landed, and I was sort of shocked when it was dwarves, then vampire counts.

All im trying to say is sometimes it’s not all just CA pulling strings. I’m saying it’s probably not the devs, and more higher ups and almost guaranteed investors doing most of that.

@Xenos7

Agreed it’s not ALL about the money. I’m just saying that it’s a business, and a business runs on a premise of making as much cash as they can to keep people employed and a product going out the door. I do feel for awhile CA Has been pushing more DLC, shamelessly throwing 3k in our faces and such over fixing things that need to be fixed.

But then again, when there was a whole lot of nothing going on after norsca, the forums were full of posts from people asking for More DLC pronto.

It’s hard to find a balance of making everyone happy. I do feel that there’s some love that needs to go towards old TWW1 factions, and Lizzie’s and skaven. But once those DLCs and fixes come out (hopefully in the next year) it will be a wait till tww3.

I will be VERY disappointed if greenskins, empire and beastmen don’t get updated before tww3. That’s when I’ll join the band wagon. Right now I’m sort of in the middle.
  • AvadonAvadon Registered Users Posts: 1,543
    Razmirth said:

Razmirth said:

Wonder how large their TWWH mortal team is...and would they even tell us... ;)

Also...blizzard before the activision corruption was..."trusted"...they stood by particular values and principles well liked universally by their fan/customer-base...if it was not perfect it was either scrapped (mortals were notified of this) or moulded into a wondrous gem...

No such thing as deadlines or asinine rush to churn out product after product...

Obviously human avarice gets the better of mortals within this world so inevitably Blizzard was bought out around 2007-2008 and became the stupidity it is today...

Now with that in mind...is CA totally trusted like Blizzard was once upon a time?..