Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Jabberslythe spotted on a Gamespot video!

124»

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 13,369Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

It's pretty easy to laud the Jabberslythe when the game will probably only include units from WoC, DoC and BM and a pinch of Empire not much more beyond that at all. Wouldn't trade the TWWH rosters for that.

Some times ago I replayed Titan Quest in its re-release. It's an average hack'n'slash (I actually don't even like the genre that much) but oh boy, it has an *enormous* variety of monsters. Basically everything from Greek, Egyptian and Chinese folklore. Obviously graphics are basic, but we're talking a decade-old game, and Iron Lore had like 40 employees at most. Still the number of unique models far, far surpasses Warhammer.

So I think CA is honest when they say that something like the Beastmen DLC costs three times as much to make than their previous DLC. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a prohibitive cost. It just means that historical DLC are kinda of a rip-off and they didn't want to sacrifice that overly generous profit margin.
    I know Titan Quest. It's 13 years old so actually on par with Med2. Would you like a Jabberslythe that had Med2 level graphics and animations?
    That wasn't my point.
    The point is that if WH had to work with 13 year old technology, they probably could also create more monsters because it would be a lot cheaper. I mean I could probably mould, rig, animate and texture something resembling 13 year old game models with just free programs like **** and Blender.
    While production costs got higher in the industry, the same happened to revenues, due to the increased popularity of the hobby. Following your reasoning, we would expect for AAA games to have a progressively lower RoI with each iteration, but instead it's the opposite.
    Do you have data showing that for medieval and TWW?

ED's logic seems simple; low quality graphics like this one are cheaper to make than high quality like TWW's. I don't see a counter to that.
    Sure. I have the fact that the company grew in size in the last years and acquired subsidiaries like the Sofia studio. Never heard of a business expanding without an increase in revenue stream to support the move.
    That's a no then. Combined with this not even being a counter to the point in the first place.
    So I guess in your pocket universe philosophers and logicians never figured out inductive reasoning. Quite a strange epistemology you must have down there.
    Hahahaha.

If you've got a reason why you're not wrong I'll be happy to hear it.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 4,410Registered Users

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

It's pretty easy to laud the Jabberslythe when the game will probably only include units from WoC, DoC and BM and a pinch of Empire not much more beyond that at all. Wouldn't trade the TWWH rosters for that.

Some times ago I replayed Titan Quest in its re-release. It's an average hack'n'slash (I actually don't even like the genre that much) but oh boy, it has an *enormous* variety of monsters. Basically everything from Greek, Egyptian and Chinese folklore. Obviously graphics are basic, but we're talking a decade-old game, and Iron Lore had like 40 employees at most. Still the number of unique models far, far surpasses Warhammer.

So I think CA is honest when they say that something like the Beastmen DLC costs three times as much to make than their previous DLC. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a prohibitive cost. It just means that historical DLC are kinda of a rip-off and they didn't want to sacrifice that overly generous profit margin.
    I know Titan Quest. It's 13 years old so actually on par with Med2. Would you like a Jabberslythe that had Med2 level graphics and animations?
    That wasn't my point.
    The point is that if WH had to work with 13 year old technology, they probably could also create more monsters because it would be a lot cheaper. I mean I could probably mould, rig, animate and texture something resembling 13 year old game models with just free programs like **** and Blender.
    While production costs got higher in the industry, the same happened to revenues, due to the increased popularity of the hobby. Following your reasoning, we would expect for AAA games to have a progressively lower RoI with each iteration, but instead it's the opposite.

ED's logic seems simple; low quality graphics like this one are cheaper to make than high quality like TWW's. I don't see a counter to that.
    Sure. I have the fact that the company grew in size in the last years and acquired subsidiaries like the Sofia studio. Never heard of a business expanding without an increase in revenue stream to support the move.
    That's a no then. Combined with this not even being a counter to the point in the first place.
    So I guess in your pocket universe philosophers and logicians never figured out inductive reasoning. Quite a strange epistemology you must have down there.
    Hahahaha.

Read the last ten or so posts.
  • misterZmisterZ Posts: 319Registered Users

If it was made by CA
    "Lazy manticore reskin! Even kharybdis was made better! We waited so long for that?! #NotMyJABBERSLYTHE ! Stupid headswap for manticore!"
    Also... am i the only one who look at chaosbane as just another Diablo\PoE clone that use warhammer license as main and only selling point?
    Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

That wasn't my point.

Hahahaha.

Happily those back my point. Woo woo!

See, what you're doing is trying to claim your guesses are fact. Problem is to do that you need specific data which you don't have, so they're still just guesses. Guesses are all when and good but facts they are not.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
    misterZ said:

If it was made by CA
    "Lazy manticore reskin! Even kharybdis was made better! We waited so long for that?! #NotMyJABBERSLYTHE ! Stupid headswap for manticore!"
    Also... am i the only one who look at chaosbane as just another Diablo\PoE clone that use warhammer license as main and only selling point?
    Pretty much. It's a bad model with bad animations in a bad game with only a fraction of the units of TWW yet for some reason it's being held up as something good.
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Posts: 742Registered Users
    The problem is not the money required to make the Ghorgon, Jabberslythe, etc...but its how to add them to the roster. Likely, they could be included for Chaos in Warhammer 3, then back-ported to Beastmen.
  • PocmanPocman Posts: 2,382Registered Users

You pay almost 200 euros for the TTWH rosters.

The charlemagnes excuse could make sense when launching a BM DLC was "risky" and therefore you had to limit the budget.

Right now, it's a terrible excuse.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 17,455Registered Users
    Pocman said:

You pay almost 200 euros for the TTWH rosters.

The charlemagnes excuse could make sense when launching a BM DLC was "risky" and therefore you had to limit the budget.

Right now, it's a terrible excuse.
    Have they made a BM style DLC recently? Vampire Coast was all new models for the most part and TK had more than they had on the TT.

• TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 8,930Registered Users
    edited February 5
    misterZ said:

Why would that be bad? if the game mechanics are solid at least, having a hack and slay in Wrahammer should be quite nice. Otherwise Vermintide also is just a Left 4 Dead Clone (with some adjustements) using the Warhammer license as main selling point.
    Every wrong is recorded! Every slight against us! Page after Page, etched in blood! Clan Gunnison! Karak Eight-Peaks! Josef Bugman!

Yes! to Boris Todbringer as playable, subfaction leading Legendary Lord with Starting Position Middenheim instead for the Empire! NO to the lazy way of moving Gelt and Volkmar who both belong to Reikland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 2,030Registered Users
    I am not in the games industry so don't know much about design, but is a Jabber in a top down Hack and Slash the same as one in a strategy like TWW? It seems to me like creating a model that has to work in a more complex 3D space and interact with larger groups or other large 3d models would be far harder to make than one that acts in a more limited isometric game type.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 8,930Registered Users
    Every wrong is recorded! Every slight against us! Page after Page, etched in blood! Clan Gunnison! Karak Eight-Peaks! Josef Bugman!

Yes! to Boris Todbringer as playable, subfaction leading Legendary Lord with Starting Position Middenheim instead for the Empire! NO to the lazy way of moving Gelt and Volkmar who both belong to Reikland!

• NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 2,487Registered Users
    Draxynnic said:
    Except that it's a bit misleading. If you ignore console gaming and stick with PC gaming which is where we are. Games no longer have to have a store release meaning they skip the entire expensive step of producing the hard copies, shipping those millions of boxes, and ultimately even seen smaller cuts from middlemen and final stores.

That whole overhead has completely vanished.

Also, video games almost never do tv spots now except in a few rare cases and it's dubious if that's even needed now. You can take all your same advert trailers and put them on your own website, Twitter, and Youtube at fractional cost versus tv and magazine advertisement.

You don't have to build your own engine as much, they barely glance on that but a very large chunk of games just use someone elses engine now and despite having to pay for that it's still quite often cheaper than inhouse developement. Many other tools have also gotten to this point.

While somethings through base inflation have gotten more expensive, in a lot of ways it's also gotten cheaper. So much that yeah, I dubiously have to wonder on it. And not every title has spewed the same volume of crap such as lootboxes. Where as things like same day DLC is less about recouping total cost of the game but rather every single dev has realized it's now just commonly accepted. If you tell a company they can do something that every single other company does and get a few extra million and expect them not to? Hah.
  • misterZmisterZ Posts: 319Registered Users

misterZ said:

Why would that be bad? if the game mechanics are solid at least, having a hack and slay in Wrahammer should be quite nice. Otherwise Vermintide also is just a Left 4 Dead Clone (with some adjustements) using the Warhammer license as main selling point.
    It's was like the first game in many years that try First Person melee combat... and was good
  • OgrechubbsOgrechubbs Posts: 37Registered Users
    Ya I have felt ripped off for paying for the BM dlcs for a while. They have what 4 units?

Gors, ungors, minos, copy paste WoC wolves, centigors, cygors?

Ya I have felt ripped off for paying for the BM dlcs for a while. They have what 4 units?

Gors, Ungors, Minotaurs, Cygors, Centigors, harpies, Chaos Spawn, Chaos Giant, Razorgors, Chaos Warhounds.

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

That wasn't my point.

Hahahaha.

See, what you're doing is trying to claim your guesses are fact. Problem is to do that you need specific data which you don't have, so they're still just guesses. Guesses are all when and good but facts they are not.
    "Well, we've found the weapon, we have some witnesses, the motive seems believable... I guess he's guilty?"
    "Yeah, but, you know, it's not like we *saw* him murdering those people"
    "Right. There's nothing we can do"

Honestly, forgive me but I don't feel like explaining basic concepts as inductive reasoning, evidence vs proof and probability. Suit yourself.
    Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

That wasn't my point.

Hahahaha.

"Well, we've found the weapon, we have some witnesses, the motive seems believable... I guess he's guilty?"

Honestly, forgive me but I don't feel like explaining basic concepts as inductive reasoning, evidence vs proof and probability. Suit yourself.
    The motive was created after the murder, the witnesses had been bought and the Weapon had been placed at the suspect.

Gors, Ungors, Minotaurs, Cygors, Centigors, harpies, Chaos Spawn, Chaos Giant, Razorgors, Chaos Warhounds.
    Non copy paste units. If you ditch them you lose hounds , spawns, giants, harpies. Since they are in the woc army.

It would be like them adding brets to the game and giving you hippogryphs and knights then copy paying the rest from empire.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 17,455Registered Users

Non copy paste units. If you ditch them you lose hounds , spawns, giants, harpies. Since they are in the woc army.

It would be like them adding brets to the game and giving you hippogryphs and knights then copy paying the rest from empire.
    OMG, by that logic the Dwarfs have exactly one unit and the Empire two or three.

OMG, by that logic the Dwarfs have exactly one unit and the Empire two or three.
    Agreed it is lazy by the dev's. And creators. Be more original thx.

iirc (nearly) all of those armies are part of their Armybook. So complain to GWs first for putting htem in there.

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

That wasn't my point.

Hahahaha.

Analogies are universally bad, this one is no exception.

In this case you have nothing except guesses. You have no concrete evidence (like your analogy falsely claims) you just have guesses. Suit yourself.
  • IcestrugleIcestrugle Junior Member Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    edited February 6
    The animations looks boring and cheap - 9.43:

Can't say that a good representation like hellpit abomination in total war 2. If CA was doing it there were going to animate like in the lore description. Not the model was the problem but the animations. Hellpit abomination tooked 2 months from senior animators. You just want to find stones to throw.

I don't think talking about units makes any sense in evaluating a DLC value-for-dollar. Radious Mod has a million units, and all of them are recycled and boring. It would be better to talk about unique models.

I would argue that *nothing at all* looks way more boring and cheap.
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Posts: 2,587Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

That is a very low bar to set for your expectations.
    ò_ó
    Xenos7 said:

i would argue that, if the Jabberslythe would be included like this in TW, we'd get a short outburst of euphoria and then an even harsher complaining about the lame ass Jabberslythe that Lazy CA produced. Not flying, no Tongue animation, no idle animations with the "small legs" on his body and so on...

edited February 7

Xenos7 said:

i would argue that, if the Jabberslythe would be included like this in TW, we'd get a short outburst of euphoria and then an even harsher complaining about the lame ass Jabberslythe that Lazy CA produced. Not flying, no Tongue animation, no idle animations with the "small legs" on his body and so on...
    Yet its somehow applauded in this game.

All I want is 3 things; consistency, consistency, and consistency. The BM are terrible, CA could, and should have done better with them, but this game having a poorly put in Jabber doesn't mean anything.
    Post edited by Vanilla_Gorilla on

Xenos7 said:

Yet its somehow applauded in this game.

All I want is 3 things; consistency, consistency, and consistency. The BM are terrible, CA could, and should have done better with them, but this game having a poorly put in Jabber doesn't mean anything.
    It is applauded in that game because that game isn't TW WH. It's a smaller studio doing a Hack and Slay game, where such models need less animations, with a less detailed graphic style.